• Reply 61 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

How is that?

Significantly more readable.
  • Reply 62 of 161
    Quote:

Do you honestly think those issues have to do with Apple? It is Adobe being lazy as usual. You can run Lion and Snow Leopard Together using something like Fusion or Parallels.

Yeah just what I want to do. Upgrade to lion to have a few features that I wouldn't of had before just to run two operating systems so i can run all my adobe creative suite through some virtual machine program.

Ha yeah that's a real fast & efficient (sarcasm)

Bazinga

Weighing out the pros and cons the numbers speak for themselves. I want an operating system that runs my programs. The new features are nice but if I can't work and get the job done like I need to why upgrade?
  • Reply 63 of 161
    I'm surprised more people aren't talking about how horrible the Address Book interface is in Lion. It's completely and totally unusable, especially if you spend all day working with groups, like we do. I can't believe ANYBODY at Apple thought that the new Address Book was a good idea. It makes people's lives much LESS productive throughout the day.
  • Reply 64 of 161
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Lion has a lot of good stuff.

- Mission Control is better than Expose.

- When you restart everything comes back how you left it. This is great for Boot Camp users.

But it also has some misfires:

- Versioning. I am the user, and I do not matter because versioning looks good on the whiteboard.

- App launch performance: now highly variable. Sometimes even simple apps like Textpad take ages to launch, result in spins etc. I wonder if the versions database needs better indexes. It is not the HD going to sleep, and not a "bad upgrade" because I am religious about these things.

- System Documentation: the man pages are not properly done. It does not match the Apple ethos of putting effort even in to the small things.

- Finder: feels like it was written by the newest of the new developer. Can we please get an experienced hand to review this app for 10.7.3?
  • Reply 65 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about how horrible the Address Book interface is in Lion. It's completely and totally unusable, especially if you spend all day working with groups, like we do. I can't believe ANYBODY at Apple thought that the new Address Book was a good idea. It makes people's lives much LESS productive throughout the day.

I do agree with you. But for me, Mission Control was a much bigger nightmare.

But I have customers that use a calendar server, and they have 30 total calendars. So now in iCal, they have to click a menu just to get a list of their calendars. And that list only shows maybe 10 at a time, so they also have to scroll through that list to see them all. Compare this to Snow Leopard's iCal which simply had an always-there column showing all of your calendars. Again it's probably nice if you're on a tiny screen, but on a non-ipad screen, it's another hassle, another speed bump.
  • Reply 66 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Svegard View Post

I downloaded it 3 days after release..

And I went back to SL.

Lion is a fucking joke! A abhorent iOSX interface with lots of problems... It is the worst OSX to date.. Will be hoping for a MAC OS next time

Well, I'm completely convinced. Everyone, please delete Lion and go back to Mac OS 7.

Not 7.5, 7. Straight 7. That's what we deserve.

• Reply 67 of 161
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Apple does listen though. I remember when Leopard first shipped. Apple shipped it by only allowing people to view files as stacks within the Dock. You couldn't view things as a list, which was the old way. People complained and Apple added the option back.

This is as much a reason as any why I'm not upgrading to Lion. If enough people complain, Apple will fix the issues, and then I can upgrade to the fixed version without having to endure the hassle of the current mess.
  • Reply 68 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

This is as much a reason as any why I'm not upgrading to Lion. If enough people complain, Apple will fix the issues, and then I can upgrade to the fixed version without having to endure the hassle of the current mess.

Agreed!!

This is what we have all been trying to say to TBell. Guess he is just arguing to keep the thread moving.

http://www.obxwebdesigner.com
  • Reply 69 of 161
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I'm completely convinced. Everyone, please delete Lion and go back to Mac OS 7.

Not 7.5, 7. Straight 7. That's what we deserve.

Heh, I think partly the problem is Apple tends to make huge "lets dumb this down" changes which they think is for the better, mostly without giving users the option to go back to the old way. There's only so far you can go to simplify things before you lose functionality Ã* la iCal and Address Book.

I think we need several modes the OS can run in if Apple's going to continue down this path: iOS (baby/beginner), halfway-between-OS-X-and-iOS (child/Intermediate/Lion), and OS X (someone who's actually used a computer before/advanced/Snow Leopard)
  • Reply 70 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Heh, I think partly the problem is Apple tends to make huge "lets dumb this down" changes which they think is for the better, mostly without giving users the option to go back to the old way. There's only so far you can go to simplify things before you lose functionality Ã* la iCal and Address Book.

I think we need several modes the OS can run in: iOS (baby/beginner), halfway-between-OS-X-and-iOS (child/Intermediate/Lion), and OS X (someone who's actually used a computer before/advanced/Snow Leopard)

I agree in spirit. If so many of these "features" just had the option to change back. Like going back to expose & spaces for advanced users, and getting rid of mission control. Or a little check box to bring back scroll bar arrows. Oh well. I'm very happy back on S-L and I'll probably stay with it on my desktop until I replace it with an iMac.... which will happen the day apple bring back the matte screen iMac (so possibly never, or possibly tomorrow).
  • Reply 71 of 161
    What can I say? I have the original Intel Core Duo-powered MacBook, and Lion needs at least a Core 2 Duo to install. But even if I could install Lion, I'm not sure that I would, since it can't run PPC code under Rosetta.
  • Reply 72 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Not interested in sandboxed apps

Not interested in walled garden app store, or giving apple 30% to dumb down apps

So? don't buy them. Your fears will be completely warranted when OS X disallows installations from anywhere but the Mac App Store.

Quote:

Leopard has actual install media...

Please don't lie outright.

That link accompanies the obvious solution of buying it for $29 and using a $0.05 DVD to burn your own copy.

Quote:

Leopard has everything I need -- seriously, there's no reason to go further at this time.

Well, 640k ought to be enough for anyone.

Quote:

No need to upgrade.

I still have my LC 575. There was no need for me to buy a Mac Pro. I'm sure I could still get most stuff done on that. Just find a copy of Photoshop 2 or something.

Actually, that would be interesting. Photoshop 2? (there's no contemplative emoticon; imagine one here)
  • Reply 73 of 161
    I would have bought Lion if it was available as a DVD at the same or nearly the same price as the download. I'm not paying to download an OS that I have to burn off a DVD of if I need to an install disk in case of emergencies.. and believe me, I've had those emergencies...

I've sent Apple my feedback on that..

I think this is one of St. Steve's decisions that is bad at this time, but possibly smart years later.
  • Reply 74 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I'm not paying to download an OS that I have to burn off a DVD of if I need to an install disk in case of emergencies.

Why?

I reread your post several times and this sentence doesn't resolve itself. Why is this an issue for you? You have a DVD drive, obviously, so you would have access to burning the disc. It's 50% cheaper to download it and make your own disc, and who would want a disc and only have that as their backup? If you had a physical DVD, you'd make a (multiple) copy(ies) of that when you had it, anyway. So I don't understand your complaint, is all.

Quote:

?decisions that is bad at this time, but possibly smart years later.

"We skate to where the puck is going, not where it is."
  • Reply 75 of 161
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"We skate to where the puck is going, not where it is."

That analogy works for hockey because the game is fast and the shifts are short. Gretzky wasn't standing in the corner of an empty arena waiting for a game two seasons away.
  • Reply 76 of 161
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Yes, adress book sucks. What a weird way to navigate. Talk about. Punter intuitive.
  • Reply 77 of 161
    Quote:

That analogy works for hockey because the game is fast and the shifts are short. Gretzky wasn't standing in the corner of an empty arena waiting for a game two seasons away.

Apple currently sells four devices with optical drives, and all news points to that number becoming three or fewer by the end of next year.

I'd say, if anything, Apple is out on the ice shooting practice shots while the rest of the players line up for the National Anthem.

Brash? Unorthodox? Looked down upon?

Yes.

But what Apple is doing now will be lauded once everyone else gets out there. And by then, they'll just be playing catch-up.

Yes, I do believe the computer analogy works for hockey.
  • Reply 78 of 161
    rafraf Posts: 4member
    The only reason I am on Lion is my new MB Air which forces me onto it.

The very thing Apple always preached against—feature creep—is what makes Lion the worst OSX upgrade in years. There are features that are usable, e.g. I can finally use Spaces. It doesn't outweigh the negatives though.

Worst offenders:
    • Versions—versioning you have no control over. "Save as…" is gone and new file system paradigm is forced on the user.

• Autosave—if you opened and closed a file, you just saved whatever changes you made and didn't want.

Those two features combined clog the hard drive with countless unwanted versions of a file. This article says its text was saved in 110 versions, complete files were saved (not differences) and it swell up to 10MB. We'll hear more about it when more apps are upgraded to Lion versioning/autosave mode.

• Scrolling—I agree with "natural" touchpad scrolling, it makes sense. But it doesn't on mouse scroll wheel, I have to use Scroll Reverser app to be able to use my mouse normally.

• Launchpad—why?…

• Skeuomorphic interfaces in Address Book and iCal are ridiculous. Address Book needed an overhaul—it looked dated even compared to the first iPhone's. They only changed its superficial look in Lion, leaving the antiquated UI in.

• Scrollbars look as if they were unfinished.

There are also hardware issues, e.g. I have to restart the computer every time I wake it from sleep in dual-monitor set up because waking up lights up the closed laptop screen in clamshell mode.
  • Reply 79 of 161
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raf View Post

[*] Scrolling?I agree with "natural" touchpad scrolling, it makes sense. But it doesn't on mouse scroll wheel, I have to use Scroll Reverser app to be able to use my mouse normally.

Or untick the "Natural Scrolling" box in mouse prefs. I assume that option's available for non-magic mice too.
  • Reply 80 of 161
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Do you guys believe you are the first to complain about features in a OS X upgrade?

Quote: