Apple seen selling iPad 3 HD, iPad 2S and iPad 2 in 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is seen expanding its tablet lineup significantly in 2012, offering a third-generation iPad with a high-resolution screen alongside a faster "iPad 2S" with the same resolution as its predecessors, as well as a discounted iPad 2.

Analyst Ben A. Reitzes with Barclays Capital said in a note to investors on Tuesday that he believes it's possible that Apple will keep the iPad 2 alive in two ways, even after a true "iPad 3" is launched in early 2012. He sees Apple continuing to sell the current 16GB version of the iPad 2 at a lower price, as a new entry-level model much like the company currently does with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

In addition, Reitzes said it's possible Apple could also introduce a faster iPad 2, which he dubbed an "iPad 2S," akin to the iPhone 4S. A so-called iPad 2S could include a faster processor and Siri integration, just like Apple's latest iPhone.

Finally, Reitzes said he believes Apple still plans to launch a full-fledged iPad 3 in the March timeframe. That product would differentiate itself from the hypothetical iPad 2S by featuring a high-definition Retina Display in addition to Siri integration and a faster processor.

Numerous recent reports have indicated that Apple has inked a deal with Sharp to build LCD panels for its next-generation iPad. The next iPad is rumored to feature a high-resolution display, akin to the Retina Display branding Apple introduced with the iPhone 4 in 2010.

Sharp's new iPad 3 display is expected to feature IGZO technology, which stands for indium, gallium and zinc. The new LCD panel is rumored to have a 330-dots-per-inch resolution without the need for IPS technology for superior viewing angles found in the current iPad 2.

An IGZO display would also allegedly allow Apple to use a single LED bar for backlighting the display, in contrast with claims that an IPS-based Retina Display would require two LED backlights. This would allow Apple to make its next iPad even thinner, and potentially offer better battery life.

Reitzes has forecast Apple to sell 13.9 million iPad units in the current December quarter, but he cautioned that the number could be too optimistic. In the company's 2012 fiscal year, he sees Apple selling 47.7 million iPads, good for a 47 percent increase from fiscal 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    How the hell did you guys 'see' them selling the iPad 3 HD? 2S? WHAT? Where are you guys getting this information? That's wayy too many SKU.

So their going to have a 16,32,64GB Verisions of the iPad 3hd, 2s, and 2? Something is totally wrong here, and I'm not even counting the 3G versions. If this happens, Apple would really be straining themselves. And what's the point of a 2S vs a 3?

Also, what would be the price points in this case?

Wouldn't it be better just for Apple to have an iPad 3 and just discount 2? It seemed to work so well before. I'd reckon there isn't much incintive to change it.
  • Reply 2 of 67

Why would Apple release TWO IPADS AT ONCE? Wouldn't them having not released two iPhones at once (like the analysts were CERTAIN would happen) be a tip off to the silliness of this idea?
  • Reply 3 of 67
    I can see an iPad 3 and iPad 2S being released at the same time since there are still plenty of unanswered questions about the 264ppi Retina Display for the iPad regarding production rate, component cost, GPU performance and battery usage that are still unanswered.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would Apple release TWO IPADS AT ONCE? Wouldn't them having not released two iPhones at once (like the analysts were CERTAIN would happen) be a tip off to the silliness of this idea?

So much lol.

I just don't see it working out very well. The 2S especially wouldn't make sense. So I would assume the difference would be just the screen on the 2S vs 3.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

its just these analysts again trying to impose their own agenda into the press to try and plant ideas. That's what all these analyst predictions are. Just a load of BS and I wouldn't be surprised if some share holders were pushing these stories into the presses as well. It's just the powers that be trying to remotely steer Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can see an iPad 3 and iPad 2S being released at the same time since there are still plenty of unanswered questions about the 264ppi Retina Display for the iPad regarding production rate, component cost, GPU performance and battery usage that are still unanswered.

But that would be two totally new products. The iPhone 4S was just one base type (with different hard drive configurations). Didn't rumors say we would get the 4S and 5 at the same time. This rumor doesn't sound legit....I could be wrong..but wow.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I could see a very high end price for the ipad 3 to make sure quantities were reasonable.

I dunno how I feel about that. Probably jealousy as I'd have to go for the 2S.

What I really want is a 4-5" iPod Touch for the kids that cost $200.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... he believes it's possible...

...In addition, Reitzes said it's possible...

And it's "possible" that Apple will discontinue selling iPads all together. Not bloody well likely, but "possible."

It'd be nice if analysts would take ownership of their projections and stop using weasle words like "it's possible".
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

I could see a very high end price for the ipad 3 to make sure quantities were reasonable.

Okay, so then would it be iPad 2 $350, iPad 2S $500, and iPad 3 $700 (or $600)?
  • Reply 10 of 67
    I hate these reports, they never pan out and half of the time are truly asinine. iPad 3 will be out in March and the iPad 2 will move to clearance.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

its just these analysts again trying to impose their own agenda into the press to try and get Apple to do their bidding. That's what all these analyst predictions are. Just a load of BS and I wouldn't be surprised if some share holders were pushing these stories into the presses as well. It's just the powers that be trying to remotely steer Apple.

You're right.

Looking at Apple's line of products, besides a little customization, there isn't a whole lot of selection. Two iPad releases in the same year is a stretch, let alone two released simultaneously...
  • Reply 12 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

You're right.

Looking at Apple's line of products, besides a little customization, there isn't a whole lot of selection. Two iPad releases in the same year is a stretch, let alone two released simultaneously...

Doesn't apple normally focus on ONE product and release it? They'd be fragmenting their entire line if they did something like this.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... he believes Apple still plans to launch a full-fledged iPad 3 in the March timeframe. ...

For at least a year now we have been beset by stories from the pundits about how Apple is going to accelerate the schedule for iOS product releases. First it was going to be two iPhones and two iPads last year, now it's a new iPad or a new iPhone early next year with a follow up product in the fourth quarter of the same year.

Even though it's a hot topic amongst pundits, none of this has come to pass. The only thing that has happened is Apple actually *delayed* the release of the latest iPhone, so reality is entirely opposite so far from all these many predictions.

Accelerated time frames for product release only make sense when the market is fierce and competition stiff. The producer typically wants to release multiple products in the time it takes for competitors to produce one, in order to accelerate the design in general and make improvements so as to hang on to whatever market share they have for dear life. The main purpose behind such accelerated development is the need to keep up with the competition.

This is actually what we see in the Android product market, not Apple.

Apple has no reason at all to release multiple different iPads and iPhones in the same fiscal year and perhaps not the capability to even do it given the volume they service.

There is also no real reason at all to believe that Apple will release anything next year besides the expected iPad 3 and iPhone 6.

There is similarly no reason at all to expect they will be released at a different time of the year than they typically are as that plays into the "need" for the accelerated product schedule again which is not a real thing to begin with.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

From what I've seen on Amazon's ranking, read by analysts and Apple's financial reports either the mid-range iPad is the most popular or the high-end iPad is just as popular as the low-end. Either way there seems to be room for a pricer option for the iPad. Still, Apple doesn't have a history of this time of product release so it's highly questionable.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Oh, I have it!

The "faster iPad 2S" is really the 7" iPad and the "even faster than the faster iPad 2S iPad 3" is the new 10" model!

Oh, dear. That's bigger than I thought it would be. But it fits the bill, I guess.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Oh man! Indium, gallium and zinc? Those are pretty rare materials that China is stock piling and controlling their exports and imports. Hope no one wants to make iPads in Brazil because China will charge crazy tax on those.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Analysts don't know anything, people. This is not even a rumor, and it's not news either. It's just one analyst's opinion. And its not worth much, in my book. It's not real until Tim Cook or Phil Schiller says it's real.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    I could see Apple actually delaying the release of the iPad till the early summer to fill the slot that the iPhone left. I think there are a lot of people who hold off on buying an iPad for Christmas because a new one is just around the corner. This way, the iPad would not interfere with iPhone sales as they will be 1/2 a year apart, but still viable as a new product for the Christmas shopping.

I think there would be a good probability that Apple will continue production of the iPad 2 even thought the 3 has been released. There will not be a 2S.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    everyone is quick to shoot down these analyst notes, and usually it's fair to do so. However, as these things go, this report is probably as realistic as possible. Maybe there won't be 3 separate iPads (3, 2S, 2) but the approach is very "Apple" where they keep older models on hand for a lower price to attack the low-end market. Nobody has a crystal ball into Apple's plans, but this analysis is a lot more likely to pan out than, for example, a 7" iPad.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gto65l View Post

I could see Apple actually delaying the release of the iPad till the early summer to fill the slot that the iPhone left. I think there are a lot of people who hold off on buying an iPad for Christmas because a new one is just around the corner. This way, the iPad would not interfere with iPhone sales as they will be 1/2 a year apart, but still viable as a new product for the Christmas shopping.

A half-year apart from the iPhone 4S release s in the Winter/Spring with the running iPad release cycle. I think the iPhone will stay in the Autumn release and the iPad and Touch will get updated after the new year..