Apple promotes The Beatles with ad, free iBook; Samsung again mocks iPhone users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Sammy wants me to like them by mocking us (iPhone owners). Hmm. If I like my iPhone and I would stand in line for one and sammy makes me out to be stupid does that mean sammy is intimidated?

It means Samsung doesn't care if you boycott their other products, like this person:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I agree on the thermo-nuclear war thing.

Don't normally do this kind of thing, but enough is enough.

We were recently in the market for a fridge and washing machine. Up until recently we definitely would have purchased Samsung. However, Westinghouse and Bosch got our money purely due to Samsung's recent behavior in the court houses, and with their advertisements.

• Reply 22 of 131
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It means Samsung doesn't care if you boycott their other products, like this person:

Of course they don't.

It's not like they're a publicly traded company focused purely on profits, eh?
  • Reply 23 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Sammy wants me to like them by mocking us (iPhone owners). Hmm. If I like my iPhone and I would stand in line for one and sammy makes me out to be stupid does that mean sammy is intimidated?

Kinda seems that way, doesn't it?
  • Reply 24 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Kinda seems that way, doesn't it?

Nah, there are going after there people that 1) hate Apple for being successful, 2) cant understand why anyone would "care" about a gadget.

They are good commercials but they were a very, very narrow view of the market. These ads typically also do more long term damage than good because it makes those truly oblivious wondering what is so special about the iPhone. These types of ads work for political campaigns because you can maintain fear for a short period, but are not sustainable.

Overall, this isn't about Samsung trying to get business from Apple customers, but from non-Apple customers. With that in mind this ad is good.
  • Reply 25 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Samsung's commercials are just so much corporate masturbation. Apple's getting all the hot babes, so...

Actually, the commercials are designed to get the Samsung-fans all stoked to do battle on the Internets in forums like this one. They're using Sammy-fans (and sym-pathetic Fandroids) to do their bidding, and keep the talking about Samsung. That's it, just keep talking about the brand, the products. Doesn't really matter what you say, as long as you keep mentioning the brand. That's more action than RIM or HP/Palm are getting.
  • Reply 26 of 131
    Quote:

Actually, the commercials are designed to get the Samsung-fans all stoked to do battle on the Internets in forums like this one. They're using Sammy-fans (and sym-pathetic Fandroids) to do their bidding, and keep the talking about Samsung. That's it, just keep talking about the brand, the products. Doesn't really matter what you say, as long as you keep mentioning the brand. That's more action than RIM or HP/Palm are getting.

Could we not refer to them as 'Sammy-fans' or 'Fandroids'?

I think they prefer the term 'Quality Recognition Challenged'.
  • Reply 27 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nah, there are going after there people that 1) hate Apple for being successful, 2) cant underhand why anyone would "care" about a gadget.

They are good commercials but they were a very, very narrow view of the market. These ads typically also do more long term damage than good because it makes those truly oblivious wondering what is so special about the iPhone. These types of ads work for political campaigns because you can maintain fear for a short period, but ot'a not sustainable.

Overall, this isn't about Samsung trying to get business from Apple customers, but from non-Apple customers. With that in mind this ad is good.

Agreed on all fronts.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Next month at CES it's rumoured Samsung will announced their Samsung Integrated Response Interface or S.I.R.I.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    This ad might be funny except that Apple has the same iTunes cloud service etc.

and you can actually buy movies from many places. and use them on your iPhone if they either have no DRM or there's an app that works with whatever is in place. so it kind of ruins their joke.
  • Reply 30 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

eh...the commercials are good...but childish IMO.

I like that one Samsung commercial that people here have said is real Apple-like...and I like the Nexus "Calling All" commercial...and I feel those are better.

This just creates more division in an already heated environment.

Not any more childish then the "I'm a Mac" ads. Fair play to Sammy, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 31 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The Samsung user said. "What are you guys giving up?"

They answered: sleep, vacation days, and "the feeling in my legs," as the text, "The next big thing is already here," appeared on screen.

Samsung is correct, "The next big thing is already here." Introducing iPhone 4S.

The Samsung user said. "What are you guys giving up?" I can tell you exactly what I am giving up.

Atrocious customer satisfaction rates

Battery life issues

Carrier bloatware

Ecosystem issues

Fragmentation

Hardware failures

Killing apps

Lag

Malware

Memory corruptions

Memory illegal accesses

Poor customer service

Poor monetization for developers

Resource leaks

Unavailability of upgrades

This doesn't begin to describe the frustration of owning an Android phone. I went for a Samsung Fascinate because I didn't want to leave Verizon, my contract was up, I wanted a smartphone, and the iPhone wasn't on Verizon yet. I knew I was making a compromise, but thought I could live with it since I could at least get email and apps. I think I would have been better off giving up a cell phone entirely!

This piece of crap phone locks up during calls, the UI is terribly slow, and apps crash constantly - including the built in ones. I find I have to take the battery out at least a few times a week to get it working again. Bluetooth is flaky, the UI is also very inconsistent. For example, on some screens, you scroll horizontally, on others, you scroll vertically.

As for the great ability to stream music from the cloud (I'm sure that's a dig at iTunes Match), I have had no problems using Pandora, but trying to stream via Google's or Amazon's cloud service is impossible. I have tried this in areas where I have a very strong signal (Verizon's network is the one great thing about this phone), but constantly have the player stop to rebuffer. I would match rather have full quality by downloading to my phone. Apple was exactly on target with their refusal to make iTunes Match stream (at least until cell networks can really support it with good quality).

I am probably pickier than most about the usability since I've been in front-end software development for 20 years. Plus, I've been using an iPod Touch and iPad, so I can see the difference. Those who haven't experienced Apple products might fall for Samsung's advertising. It would be interesting to see statistics on people who switch to Apple after experiencing Android. I would love to see this data for Kindle Fires too.

Here's to iPhone 5, which I'm hoping keeps to the rumored fall 2012 release schedule. That's when the contract on my Samsung F*ckedinate is up.

Thanks for letting me rant. I haven't vented about this phone like this yet. It helps.
  • Reply 32 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Not any more childish then the "I'm a Mac" ads. Fair play to Sammy, as far as I'm concerned.

The 'I'm a Mac' ads pitted product against product. The users themselves were never portrayed.

The Samesung ad is an obvious shot at Apple users themselves.

Brilliantly stupid, as far as the rest of us are concerned.
  • Reply 33 of 131
    I visited New York and Texas for the first time in April this year from the UK and purchased my first and last Samsung phone. Samsung SGH-T105 $9.99 TracFone. I brought this sorry piece of crap back to the UK but left the charger and everything else associated with it, in New York.

How Border Control let me back in the country carrying such a dangerous and offensive weapon is indefensible. Questions should be asked in Parliament about this kind of threat to national security being allowed to go unchecked!
  • Reply 34 of 131
    I think any add that makes fun of weirdos that can stand 36 hours in line (they exist Samsung did not invent this) in front of an Apple store is funny. Try to have more humor than Steve Jobs, it's not that hard. Samsung does not care about you, they are after the other buyers out there who think that all this is funny too. If you felt insulted, get a life...
  • Reply 35 of 131
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    The ad is obviously aiming at the closed apple ecosystem and not the users. Some people really appear to be over sensitive.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    That... advert doesn't even make sense... @__@

What!?
  • Reply 37 of 131
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Samsung's commercials are just so much corporate masturbation. Apple's getting all the hot babes, so...

Brilliant.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Some people claim that this ad is not about winning over iOS users, but it's still going to backfire on them, as you pointed out, Samsung still sells other kinds of stuff, like appliances, tv's etc.

Who's going to choose Samsung, when they personally insult potential customers? It's a terrible strategy on their part. Apple doesn't go around making ads and insulting people.

All true. Though there may not be so many people like us who really notice, or care, or even make the connection.

I'd say a larger problem is that there ARE a lot of baristas -- and young people working in such seemingly lowly jobs in general -- in today's economy. There's no reason to sneer at them, even if they're not creatives (though some of them really are). Making fun of people just seems like a weird advertising tactic.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:

But contrary to the mantra of showbiz, there IS such a thing as bad publicity. In the ad Samsung products just look cheap next to the Apple ones, and Apple users are starting to say to hell with Samsung TVs as well. It's just a last ditch desperate grasping at straws by SamDung.
  • Reply 40 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

what's a killing app?

Beat me to it