Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They give Person of the Year to whoever had the biggest effect in that year.

That's their criteria. Except they admitted themselves that Osama Bin Laden should've been Person of the Year in aught one, but they didn't like that so they ignored their only criteria.

I'll leave you to decide why they didn't do the same for Steve.

Bin Laden certainly deserved Person of the Year in 2001 if the Hitler did in 1938. However Hitler would not have deserved it in 1945. Harry Truman did for using nuclear weapons if nothing else. Steve Jobs' accomplishments in 2011 do not stand out above other years, although his death may have made people consider earlier accomplishments more consciously. It's not a lifetime achievement award and it's not supposed to be an honor. The Bin Laden decision was capitulation to those who incorrectly perceive it as such.
  • Reply 22 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McRCN View Post

What a crock! Years from now when people scan the list of past winners, they will say what was that about. No one will remember OWS a year from now.

It was more about the Arab Spring than the OWS movement. And the protests forced governmental changes. What have Stevie done this year besides selling more computer gadgets?
  • Reply 23 of 186
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

I think protestors toppling governments in Tunsia, Egypt, Libya, etc will be remembered....

They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?

This Time Magazine person of the year should be renamed the Darwin Award of the year.
  • Reply 24 of 186
    Quote:

You do realize there are more groups included than OWS? Sure years from now OWS may not be remembered, but how about the Arab Spring? I think protestors toppling governments in Tunsia, Egypt, Libya, etc will be remembered....

A lot of people seem to think that this is all about the Occupiers.

Hardly.

This is mostly about, as you say, the people of Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, and Syria.
  • Reply 25 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The Protestor is a worthy winner. Anyone who stands up against tyranny, social injustice, corporate greed or environmental destruction should be celebrated.

Your description makes it sound like the worst superhero ever.
  • Reply 26 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

It was more about the Arab Spring than the OWS movement. And the protests forced governmental changes. What have Stevie done this year besides selling more computer gadgets?

Well he died...Was the subject of the biggest book this year...Released the best product of the year (iPhone 4s)...and made the MacBook Air a worthy buy... Compare that to toppling regimes, destroying dictatorships, and changing how the world thinks about the haves and have nots... I'd say its a tie...
  • Reply 27 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?

This Time Magazine person of the year should be renamed the Darwin Award of the year.

Is it really hard to believe that in other cultures that setting yourself on fire is a form of protest?

If I am remembering my history correctly( please correct me if I am wrong on location and/or person), it was monks in Vietnam who set themselves on fire in protest.

Sure setting yourself on fire here in the US in protest may be looked upon as crazy. But, not in other cultures.
  • Reply 28 of 186
    Quote:

Is it really hard to believe that in other cultures that setting yourself on fire is a form of protest?

If I am remembering my history correctly( please correct me if I am wrong on location and/or person), it was monks in Vietnam who set themselves on fire in protest.

Sure setting yourself on fire here in the US in protest may be looked upon as crazy. But, not in other cultures.

Yes, I am aware that it has been done in the past also, such as the monks which you mentioned.

Call me crazy, but self-immolation seems like a pretty retarded thing to do, no matter which culture somebody may happen to belong to.
  • Reply 29 of 186
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I think they made the right choice...

Most of you might be looking too closely inside our borders. The "Global" protester had a much greater effect on the planet than SJ (this YEAR at least).

Here's a link to a 4 min. video interview explaining the decision.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/456571.../#.TujTSGNFunA
  • Reply 30 of 186
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Time is less than irrelevant. I might read this issue in a year or two at my doctor's office.

Most waiting rooms like a doctor's office get monthly subscriptions to magazines, so this issue would be only found in a library at that time...
  • Reply 31 of 186
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your description makes it sound like the worst superhero ever.

He he - yes it does. I'd love to see the uniform. Cyclops, Ironman, Phoenix, The Silver Surfer, The Protestor
  • Reply 32 of 186
    So a bunch of unemployed and homeless people made the Time magazine cover? Brilliant.
  • Reply 33 of 186
    "The Protester"...how bogus. I hate when Time kisses ass like this. The Person of the Year award should go to a PERSON. That should be freaking obvious. What one PERSON had a particularly noticeable influence on society? Hmm, let's see...what one person dominated media coverage this year...hmm.

Normal definition of "person": human, individual ?sometimes used in combination especially by those who prefer to avoid man in compounds applicable to both sexes

Time's definition of "person": ...a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine...

Seriously Time, if you want it to be about all these things then change the name of the award. Don't just create your own definition for a word. They're just doing this on purpose to generate publicity. It's clear manipulation and people don't like that.
  • Reply 34 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Most waiting rooms like a doctor's office get monthly subscriptions to magazines, so this issue would be only found in a library at that time...

Yeah...I've never seen an extremely old issue of a magazine at a doctor's office. (FYI...that was sarcasm)
  • Reply 35 of 186
    Quote:

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.

This person represents "The Protester"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Bouazizi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring
  • Reply 36 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

This person represents "The Protester"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Bouazizi

Yes, that was the retard who set himself on fire, which I already mentioned previously. Sounds like a real Darwin award winner.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring

It's looking more like an Arab Winter, as the protesters are no better than the dictators who were there before. They might even be worse.
  • Reply 37 of 186
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Giving the PERSON of the Year award to groups & causes waters down the whole purpose for the award. Yes, protests were big news and important but that is totally unrelated to the PERSON of the Year award. This is as offtrack as People magazine deciding to give the "Sexiest Man Alive" award to "The Protester." Time's desire to sell more copies of the magazine has made this award meaningless.
  • Reply 38 of 186
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Kate Middleton?! What the hell has she done for anyone?
  • Reply 39 of 186
    "They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?"

Clever. How's the view from inside your rear?

I spent time in Tunisia this past May. The citizens I had contact with were excited and nervous about what the future may hold. They hope for freedoms that we take for granted.

Yeah, yeah...I know...America's great, we have a bigger army than you, etc. I believe that as well (truly), but it's a big world out there.
  • Reply 40 of 186
    Quote:

Yes, that was the retard who set himself on fire, which I already mentioned previously. Sounds like a real Darwin award winner.

It's looking more like an Arab Winter, as the protesters are no better than the dictators who were there before. They might even be worse.

You're well out of order and coming across as extremely bigoted.