Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Comments

• Reply 81 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Seriously, who needs social justice and human rights when there are iphones and ipads to be had.

If it wasn't for Steve Jobs innovations, these liberal protestors with their agenda of wanting to overthrow an oppressive regime wouldn't have the means to protest!!!
  • Reply 82 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

Ahem, FOX "News" is not real news.

• Reply 83 of 186
    Time magazine, is largely irrelevant, but tries.

Functionally you can't feed and clothe people with hope borne out of protesting and "toppling governments". The problem of course is whether we are checking for effective impact or just media impact. Since the media pick and choose among the various subjects, this "Person of the Year" delivery is irrelevant as well.

The only way to know if the Arab Spring protests were effective is to look at where those cultures are down the road in a decade. You can't base the success of a protest solely on the immediate results, which fact is demonstrated time and again.

The French Revolution was brilliant in concept, flawed in delivery and ultimately fell prey to the darker desires of human nature. In retrospect the cost in humanity due to the inhumanity of the revolution was very high.

The American Revolution was largely a business proposition. The drivers were not the average working person, but business and land owners whose businesses and lands were subject to unrepresented controls. If you have read the documents and letters between the primary parties, you know this - not the abridged and synoptic versions captured in elementary, high school and early college textbooks.

What has OWS actually produced other than gleeful coverage by the media, on any of their purported goals? Nothing. And saying that the fact that it produces hope demonstrates it's validity is laughable. Likewise for the tired and over-used "dIf it produces real positive* and lasting change - it was a viable demonstration of the strength of protesting.

One of the downsides of protesting is in fact the increase of arbitrary police powers, excused by the establishment as a necessary response to the abuses by the protesters. From which most systems do not backdown as quickly as they implement them, resulting a general loss of freedoms, not an increase.

In any case, this is not something that is really that important where Steve Jobs is concerned.
  • Reply 84 of 186
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    This is good journalism.

Sensationalists begone. Realists are welcomed.
  • Reply 85 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

If it wasn't for Steve Jobs innovations, these liberal protestors wanting to overthrow an oppressive regime wouldn't have the means to protest!!!

Delete
  • Reply 86 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That picture represents all protestors as much as this picture represents all Apple users:

The entire Peace Movement against the Vietnam War was condensed down to "Hippies spitting on troops." AS if there weren't a forever war that went on until the troops themselves just stopped fighting.

Now an entire movement, that is speaking out about economic corruption and the lack of judicial oversight or fairness, is condensed down to a guy relieving himself on a police car.

I'll leave the debate about the necessity for porta-potties and say that not only does one Apple fanatic not represent Apple Computers, nor does an incident where maybe SOMEONE spit on some troops, or relieved themselves NOT represent a movement -- we don't even know if they are PART of that movement.

At least with the Apple Fanatic -- there is a LOGO. But we all know that provocateurs have always been hired to provoke the police, and that homeless people who can't find a place to crap will find a place to crap.

Now, if the opposition to the Common Good in America wouldn't keep acting like Scrooge McDuck -- we couldn't say that Mitt Romney and Donald Trump aren't a good representation of selfish douche bags who want to suck the country dry and then move on to the next nation to ruin.
  • Reply 87 of 186
    Quote:

You're kidding, right? RIGHT?

Give up the ghost dude, your hero is dead.

If you read my other posts in this thread you will probably find out if I am kidding or not.
  • Reply 88 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

If you read my other posts in this thread you will probably find out if I am kidding or not.

• Reply 89 of 186
    Quote:

Delete

I think the two of you need to just get a room, and finish spawning the son of satan.

Other than that, it's been a thought-provoking discussion....
  • Reply 90 of 186
    (crickets)

That was the sound of the current level of relevance of Time Magazine.
  • Reply 91 of 186
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

Wow... how did you get that picture of a 1 percenter crapping on the country after getting bailed out?

Love it.
  • Reply 92 of 186
    Choosing the Protester is sort of odd, sort of appropriate.

But, as I have said before, choosing Jobs makes no sense. He would qualify as Man of the Decade. But 2011 was not a standout year for Jobs and Apple by their standards, except for his passing.
  • Reply 93 of 186
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Note: By protesting their choice you are their choice.
  • Reply 94 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no idea why that's so funny! Oh, that's great?
  • Reply 95 of 186
    Next year's winner... "The Dork"
  • Reply 96 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

[/img]http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Wall-Street-patrol-car.jpg[/img]

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.

OK first of all, person of the year is always an opinion. If you don't like it, maybe you should go edit Time Magazine.

Secondly, do you actually read Time magazine? I don't, and therefore I can't make a judgement on its content. I hope that you actually read the magazine before calling it a piece of shit with a clear agenda. It seems like you think that Time Magazine has a political agenda just because they dissed your butt buddy Steve Jobs.

Finally, Steve Jobs' death was a big deal, but it didn't have a clear impact on the world. Occupy protesters were a big news story and still are, and it's probably the most widespread and quickest spreading protest I've ever seen, thanks to the Internet.

How could you think people protesting across the globe continuously for months against corporatism don't deserve to be recognized as the people of the year? Because these protestors have had more impact on our lives than any single person this year.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the Arab Spring. How could one single person impact the world more than protestors in Egypt and Libya?
  • Reply 97 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We have a winner folks. Shut the thread down.

Seriously awesome Sol.
  • Reply 98 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Choosing the Protester is sort of odd, sort of appropriate.

But, as I have said before, choosing Jobs makes no sense. He would qualify as Man of the Decade. But 2011 was not a standout year for Jobs and Apple by their standards, except for his passing.

Exactly. Person of the year is all about who has the most impact on the most people in the year. The Occupy protestors and especially protestors in the middle east other protest movements have been going on for months, and they spread almost instantly through the Internet and other means, and no single person could claim to have more impact this year than those people, which is why Time chose "the protestor" as the people of the year.
  • Reply 99 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

(crickets)

That was the sound of the current level of relevance of Time Magazine.

If it's so irrelevant than why are we talking about it?

The ironic thing is that Apple is the company that has been making magazines relevant again through the iPad.
  • Reply 100 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Time is less than irrelevant. I might read this issue in a year or two at my doctor's office.

Predictable. Time is added to the ever-growing list of enemies of Apple. The minimization begins.