Strong sales of iPhone 4S a precursor to 'monster' launch of redesigned 'iPhone 5'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 241
    I like to think of myself as an early adopter of apple gear...but b/c the recession really kicked me in the n*ts, I didn't upgrade from my ip4 to the 4s...now I think I'll wait for the ip5 and also get an iPad 3...would love ot get an Air... But will wait till they have 3G capability! Best
  • Reply 42 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Personally, i find it crazy that some people will happily change their phone two times in a year (where do these kids find the cash to do that?) but they do. They're hooked on their smart phones.

Simple. The sell the Apple product for about 80% - 90% of the original value (remember they paid a cheap price up front when signing the contract) and then add in the little bit extra to buy the new phone.

This pretty much applies to Apple computers (lappies especially) as well.
  • Reply 43 of 241
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

If I buy an old Chevy. Put in a new engine, battery, shocks, suspension, all around new under the shell it is not a redesigned car. Don't be naive.

How about you put that old Chevy body on a brand new everything else. It's still not an old Chevy even though it looks like one. The chassis in your silly truck analogy would be the logic board that everything is attached to electronically. Check out iFixit, it's not the same board with a few components soldered on. Don't be naive.
  • Reply 44 of 241
    Quote:

If I buy an old Chevy. Put in a new engine, battery, shocks, suspension, all around new under the shell it is not a redesigned car. Don't be naive.

Your making a false analogy here by talking about refurbishing a car vs. buying a new one.

A more correct analogy would be:

If the manufacturer of the Chevy came out with a new model with a new engine, new headlights and mirrors, a new radio and an all new interior, but kept the body of the car 90% the same as last years model ... it would in fact be a whole new car, just as the iPhone 4s is a whole new phone.
  • Reply 45 of 241
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

You are deliberately missing the point. If just most of the shell is the same, but everything else is new (even the stainless steel support is differently designed), except for the screen, then it's a new phone.

Look at MS's new Lumia's. The 710 has a different case than the much more expensive 800, but the insides are almost exactly the same, except for the screen. Are they more alike than different? The newer 900 looks exactly like the 800, except it's got a bigger screen and LTE. Is that differently designed? How much different is it as a phone, when the only difference is the screen and LTE?

We can get into these silly disputes, but when most of a device is new, then it's a new device. You are using your own term to describe it.

As for the car, well, you're wrong there too. While the style remains the same, the car is redesigned, because redesigned doesn't just mean the sheet metal. And indeed, car manufacturers make minor outside changes from one year to the next, but make bigger changes otherwise, and state that it was redesigned.
  • Reply 46 of 241
    Quote:

The streak also sucked. The Samsung Galaxy Note (ugh @ the name...should just be "Note" but they gotta shoehorn Galaxy into everything as if it's cool) is a rather nice device whether it is a seller or not. Quite innovative really but I still don't like Samsung.

Well, yes, Dell's stuff usually does. But it still remains to be seen whether these oversized phones will attract more than a small number of people. There are complaints on other sites that Apple doesn't make differing sizes of phones the way others do. But Apple sells to the largest portion of the normal curve. The others try to sell to the extremes.
  • Reply 47 of 241
    I'm as much of and Apple fan as the next guy but the product cycles for their phones are ridiculous. It seems like each phone now is just a marginal improvement over the previous generation for a not no marginal cost. I understand they're trying to make money but how about stretching it out a bit so each phone seems like it is something amazing instead of just a retread. It's starting to seem like they think Apple fans are stupid and are willing to shell out for the latest bell and whistle.
  • Reply 48 of 241
    I'd say: Who wants a bigger scree, should go Android.

Screen elements just can NOT be differently sized on an iPhone5 than on a 3GS,4,4s. As a developer: should I develop for the 5 or the earlier phones when I'm designing buttons, table rows, charts ? It makes a huge difference if a button/row is 44 or 55 points high!

Just saying: 'Well, it's just a tiny bit different' is not adequate! It's just these little things, Steve would never have compromised. It leads to users complaining about unused space on a 5 and users complaining about too dense elements on the 4/4s. Bad compromises lead to just that: nobody satisfied!

Also, I don't know bigger screens for what ? Standard web pages are never designed for smartphones, not even a 4.5'' screen will do it. For smartphones we have customized apps or HTML5 pages. You can design EVERYTHING for a 3.5'' screen, if you want. When I'm mobile I want to have a TINY device with me, not a big one. BIG is BAD on mobile. I really feel sorry for these guys with their 4.5 or 5'' smartphones. Those must be nerds, but normal people don't like to wear half of a tablet on them every time.

I so much like the size of the current iPhone which I really really quickly pop out and store back in underground train. It's just zip zap and done. A larger device would make me sick! I can reach every area of the screen with my thumb, just perfect.

Please Apple stay with the current form factor! These 5''ers will be an episode in 2 years and Samsung will have to settle back.
  • Reply 49 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pimptonius View Post

I'm as much of and Apple fan as the next guy but the product cycles for their phones are ridiculous.

where's the problem ? You don't HAVE TO buy every generation. Buy every 2 or 3 or even 4 years and fine! There are many 3GS users still not desperate to change to the 5, so they might want to wait until 2013 for the 6, having used their iPhone 4 years.

I love Apple for doing improvements carefully and not just integrating this and that and then removing it again later because it just didn't spin. Everything they integrate is long retained and each year everyone might decide if to switch or not.
  • Reply 50 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My target is $370 after the earnings call, but that's me.

And that makes it a P/E of, like, 10....

I hope it's just you.
  • Reply 51 of 241
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I'm as much of and Apple fan as the next guy but the product cycles for their phones are ridiculous. It seems like each phone now is just a marginal improvement over the previous generation for a not no marginal cost. I understand they're trying to make money but how about stretching it out a bit so each phone seems like it is something amazing instead of just a retread. It's starting to seem like they think Apple fans are stupid and are willing to shell out for the latest bell and whistle.

Those stupid people that buy new, faster iPhones that do a lot more than the previous generation that also allows them to sell their old model for about the price they bought the new one? Those stupid Apple fans?

How would you change it? Update every two years so they can go from an A5 to A7 CPU? So they don't go from 7.2Mbps HSDPA to 14.4MBps but instead hold 7.2MBps of an extra full year? What about quadrupling the resolution again? I can't discern pixels at 326ppi but 1920x1280 for 660ppi has to be better, right? I'm sure they can figure out the GPU and battery life just fine.

Or do you really want more iPhones to hit the market? How about 5 new models a week. This may mean Apple giving their iOS away, but that's okay, right? It's better for everyone that way I'm sure.
  • Reply 52 of 241
    Quote:

You don't know anything about the phones. If you did you wouldn't be thinking that. And if you do know, and are thinking that, they your thinking is skewed strangely. Tell us what the difference is between the 4 and the 4S.
  • Reply 53 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Skipped 3G S for 4.

Skipping 4S for 5.

And duh, 'analysts.'

Same here. 4S was never worth it for 4-owners, and it feels right to wait for iPhone 5
  • Reply 54 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henniman View Post

I'd say: Who wants a bigger scree, should go Android.

Screen elements just can NOT be differently sized on an iPhone5 than on a 3GS,4,4s. As a developer: should I develop for the 5 or the earlier phones when I'm designing buttons, table rows, charts ? It makes a huge difference if a button/row is 44 or 55 points high!

Just saying: 'Well, it's just a tiny bit different' is not adequate! It's just these little things, Steve would never have compromised. It leads to users complaining about unused space on a 5 and users complaining about too dense elements on the 4/4s. Bad compromises lead to just that: nobody satisfied!

Also, I don't know bigger screens for what ? Standard web pages are never designed for smartphones, not even a 4.5'' screen will do it. For smartphones we have customized apps or HTML5 pages. You can design EVERYTHING for a 3.5'' screen, if you want. When I'm mobile I want to have a TINY device with me, not a big one. BIG is BAD on mobile. I really feel sorry for these guys with their 4.5 or 5'' smartphones. Those must be nerds, but normal people don't like to wear half of a tablet on them every time.

I so much like the size of the current iPhone which I really really quickly pop out and store back in underground train. It's just zip zap and done. A larger device would make me sick! I can reach every area of the screen with my thumb, just perfect.

Please Apple stay with the current form factor! These 5''ers will be an episode in 2 years and Samsung will have to settle back.

So, by your lights, Apple can NEVER adjust the size of the phone. phooie to that! Developers have to suck up some changes. According to your thinking, Apple should never have gone to a higher resolution either.
  • Reply 55 of 241
    It's really driving me nuts how everyone (bloggers, reporters, analyists, consumers, etc) continue to refer to the upcoming "iPhone 5". The 4S is the iPhone 5. If anything, the next model will be called the iPhone 6.

1 - iPhone

2 - iPhone 3G

3 - iPhone 3GS

4 - iPhone 4

5 - iPhone 4S

6 - Not iPhone 5
  • Reply 56 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

It's really driving me nuts how everyone (bloggers, reporters, analyists, consumers, etc) continue to refer to the upcoming "iPhone 5". The 4S is the iPhone 5. If anything, the next model will be called the iPhone 6.

1 - iPhone

2 - iPhone 3G

3 - iPhone 3GS

4 - iPhone 4

5 - iPhone 4S

6 - Not iPhone 5

How do you get that idea? Even your list shows it should be "5". You're making a joke, right?
  • Reply 57 of 241
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX.

It'll be the i. Phone. 6.

SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX.

Does that make my point?
  • Reply 58 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's not necessarily about salespeople and talking points. Tastes change, and especially in tech where change is a constant and predicting what is possible or desirable more than a few years out is a virtual impossibility. You just have to know it will be different. The consumer tech market today reminds me of the automobile market during the 1950s. Any manufacturer that doesn't constantly find new ways to excite consumers is going to get trampled.

I agree and this is why I think Apple will bring out v.6 of the iPhone sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 59 of 241
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

1 - iPhone

2 - iPhone 3G

3 - iPhone 3GS

4 - iPhone 4

5 - iPhone 4S

6 - Not iPhone 5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How do you get that idea? Even your list shows it should be "5". You're making a joke, right?

Holy crap Melgross are you clinically insane?
  • Reply 60 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

It'll be the i. Phone. 6.

Does that make my point?

I'd use this as my sig... but it might drive Solipsism crazy.