Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If it is any taller, it will not fit into a pocket.

Right. But a 5-7" Android device is just fine, right?

/s

Why not ask somebody who has said something like that?   Why ask someone who has never said anything like that?

Try something new.  Actually respond to what is said, rather than fantasies about things that have never been said.

• Reply 42 of 105
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I am going to clear up some misconceptions.  When Apple says that it is using Gorilla Glass, it's not.  Gorillas don't have anything to do with the making of glass, that would violate animal rights. It's really transparent aluminum.  They've been using it for years.  They just had to work on making resistant to cracking, that's all.

Liquid metal?  All metals turn into liquid when they are heated to a certain temperature, so there is nothing new there either.

I also highly doubt there are going to use Thunderbolt connectors as the new charging connector, it would make the phone too expensive.

• Reply 43 of 105
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I would like to see Apple implementing 802.11ac in their iPhones as well as the rest of the product line.  That would certainly improve wireless transmission of 24/96 audio and 1080p video.  I am sure that 802.11ac will be filtering out into the market over the next year since that is the latest WiFi specification.

• Reply 44 of 105
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxing85 View Post

Why thinner. I think the phone as it is now is thin enough. keep the same depth and increase the battery size. I'm sure this next phone will support 4g LTE, why not make a longer running battery. Besides that ever held an ipod touch to you head to see how a thin phone would not be comfortable. I just dont understand the push for thin, seems like something that seems nice but in practice it stops making sense at a certain point... anyone?

You don't get Apple....

• Reply 45 of 105
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'd be completely cool with this. 4" sounds reasonable.

• Reply 46 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I also highly doubt there are going to use Thunderbolt connectors as the new charging connector, it would make the phone too expensive.

Not to mention it's the amps that kill you.

• Reply 47 of 105
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolivier View Post

Absolutely, Rather a thicker iPhone with a better battery life. Don't need/want a thinner device.

Instead of making it thinner, use the 2mm for a bigger battery.

I have enough of charging the iDevice twice a day, enough !

Enough of buying/carrying a battery pack !

If Apple wants to conquer the business world, the battery must hold at least the whole day of intensive use.

Got it ?

Anyone ?

Got it.

I am sure Apple will give your advice serious consideration, since the current iPhone is hurting for sales! image

• Reply 48 of 105
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You don't get Apple....

Yeah. Apple would never release a thicker next generation product just to get a bigger battery in it. /s

• Reply 49 of 105
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Total carp. I mean, what the halibut. I'm not going to waste my time dissecting why this is a bad rumor. I'm no sturgeon.

Fish joke?

• Reply 50 of 105
    xstaticaxstatica Posts: 41member

I don't want it thinner.  It is already uncomfortably thin as it is.  I actually use a case to give it a thicker profile for a better grip.  I would rather they used that 2mm to double the battery life.  Phones don't last long enough when you start using GPS features.  I figured Apple would get that by now with the iPad's long battery life.

• Reply 51 of 105
    bluefish86bluefish86 Posts: 115member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...giving it dimensions of 125 millimeters tall, 5.8 millimeters wide and 7.4 millimeters thick. 

So they'll be calling it the iPhone Stick?

• Reply 52 of 105

Quote:Samsung-Galaxy-Note.jpg

Shame that graphic doesn't list the Samsung Galaxy Note's performance (with it's dual core 1.4Ghz CPU and gorgeous 5.3" screen!).

• Reply 53 of 105
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member

Dedicated ad space?

One way this could work is if the usable area for apps stayed the same as in the current phone - with the extra vertical space in the screen used either for a dedicated soft button area, or a dedicated ad area.  Either could actually be a benefit; some apps are a pain to use / read when they have multiple ad and menu banners taking up valuable screen space.

• Reply 54 of 105
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxing85 View Post

Why thinner. 

Thinner is the only one of the rumors that might be true. IF the glass is just as strong but thinner then I could see it not lipping out over the metal band as much. Shave 1mm off each piece and there's the loss they are talking about. With no change in the internal space. 

the dock connector I think they will do at some point but likely not until syncing only by wifi is more dominant. then the connector only has to deal with charging. But then why not just go mini usb like the EU would love to force them into (rather than an adaptor like they use now). or even thunderbolt. Hell that could probably do the power and the syncing. course they have to get the price down and get thunderbolt on windows machines etc but at some point it could go that way

• Reply 55 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlvarezLuis View Post

Shame that graphic doesn't list the Samsung Galaxy Note's performance (with it's dual core 1.4Ghz CPU and gorgeous 5.3" screen!).

Yes, we get it, you're anti-Apple. You're just another tick on the list, nothing special. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Dedicated ad space?

I hate your future. Because while Apple will never do this, Google will read your post and get bright ideas.

• Reply 56 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I heard that the next iphone will be spherical, covered in fur, and carried for you by your own personal pixie.

I heard the next iPhone is your own personal pixie. powered by unicorn tears and dragon farts

• Reply 57 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Total carp. I mean, what the halibut. I'm not going to waste my time dissecting why this is a bad rumor. I'm no sturgeon.

I dedicate this to you 

• Reply 58 of 105
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member

Bigger screen I think will still fit in pockets. Apple was hesitant to increase the size not because of that, but because they wanted to insist on 3.5 inches in order to make one hand operation easy even for people with relatively small hands (such as some women). I think they are researching the possibility of 4.0 inch due to market pressure, but then they would need more resolution to make it "retina" 300dpi. The aspect ratio may change to 3:4 which would make it more square rather than wider screen. By doing this, they can line up to the iPad resolutions, making many apps still compatible at 1024x768. They can then make multiples of that their standard resolution. Its a long shot theory, but it could happen...

I do not believe they will switch dock connectors though. In the end, the current one is still pretty good and is widespread enough that they would not want to lose that. If they switch, it would only make sense to switch to micro USB just IMHO. I'd say this IS being tested internally, but won't make it to final product. At least not anytime soon. Just my 2 cents.

• Reply 59 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I dedicate this to you

Point made. I'll lay off the puns for a while. image

• Reply 60 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

A 15" (inch) increase is HUGE!  The iPad isn't even 15"

You meant to say 15mm increase...

I agree with you that the resolution can remain the same with a slight decrease in pixel density would be just fine.

Sorry - I meant 15% larger.