Apple's Siri tells users Nokia Lumia 900 is 'best smartphone ever'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member

If you say, "what is the best smartphone," without the word ever, you get one of Siri's real answers: "I think you've already answered that question, (your name)," or, "Wait, there are other phones?" The word "ever" somehow changes it to a WolframAlpha lookup.

• Reply 42 of 77
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    [quote] That's a response pulled from Wolfram Alpha, which is the backup resource if Siri can't find the info herself.[/quote]
    Siri is not a search engine (as such) anymore than your browser is a search engine. It is simply an interface.
    It gets search results from Wolfram Alpha, Google, Yahoo! Bing and others.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Remember, Siri is in beta and this is obviously a serious bug; I'm sure Cook and company will fix it soon image

• Reply 44 of 77
    habanerohabanero Posts: 77member

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahcbrown View Post

Dear Apple Insider,

Over the years I have come to you as a reliable source of Apple News and Information. It's been great and wonderful.

Recently, I have witnessed a decline in both your accuracy, your reporting and the decisions that are made regarding what to report on. As it stands, other Apple sites have started to use you as the butt of some rather amusing jokes mostly revolving around the rumors you post and the excessive excitement that goes into reporting on something like a SIM card tray.

This is just about the last straw for me. I'm about to jump ship and stick to sites that actually have relevant information and vet their rumors more thoroughly.

Please go back to the way you were a few years ago, when I could rely on what you were reporting and you made a concerted effort to follow up on rumors before you posted anything.

This shows a complete lack of investigative journalism and makes you no better than the National Enquirer of Apple Rumors.

Get it together. 

Best thing written on this website in months! I couldn't agree more.

• Reply 45 of 77
    rsdofnyrsdofny Posts: 98member

Isn't obvious that a T-mobile phone will tell you that iPhone is not the best?

• Reply 46 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

Isn't obvious that a T-mobile phone will tell you that iPhone is not the best?

Carriers don't have any say in the data that crosses their devices.

• Reply 47 of 77

Isn't it obvious that a T-mobile phone will tell you iPhone is not the best?

• Reply 48 of 77

No sense of humor whatsoever

• Reply 49 of 77
    clbwclbw Posts: 2member

IMG_2283.PNG
  • Reply 50 of 77
    clbwclbw Posts: 2member

IMG_2283.PNG
  • Reply 51 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

No sense of humor whatsoever

No indication that it was a joke whatsoever. image

• Reply 52 of 77
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member

FWIW - As a MacAddict but also Nokia Lumia 900 owner... laughing, it's funny how you poor fanboys are all up in arms over this...  :)

• Reply 53 of 77
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Siri your "Beta" status has just been demoted to "Charlie"!
    /
    /
    /
  • Reply 54 of 77
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

FWIW - As a MacAddict but also Nokia Lumia 900 owner... laughing, it's funny how you poor fanboys are all up in arms over this...  :)

1.  You didn't read the thread.  No one is "up in arms over this."

2.  You clearly aren't a "MacAddict" or you wouldn't be gloating.

3.  I am a "fan" of Apple.  Anyone who is a technophile loves Apple.  The concept that Apple's competitors don't have "fanboys" suggests to me that those companies have poor customer retention resulting from poor customer service, poor product reliability, poor user interfaces and a poor developer and consumer ecosystem.  I am really disappointed by the consumer electronics industry when a aspirational brand known for niche products is constantly and endlessly compared favorably to entire industries.  You should be ashamed of yourself for not being an Apple "fanboy" and supporting Apple's competitors simply because they offer cheaper, poorly made products that they don't support.  Shameful and disgusting.

• Reply 55 of 77
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Nokia Lumia 900 4G from AT&T, with a cyan exterior, is recommended by WolframAlpha based on a total of just four user reviews, with an average score of 5 out of 5.

Let's see now.  Who could those four reviewers be?

1. Steve Ballmer

2. Bill Gates

3. Stephen Elop

4. Randall Stephenson

Good luck with that whole Windows Phone thing, guys.

• Reply 56 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheviot View Post

Um… this isn't news. Now if Apple overrode Wolfram Alpha and had Siri say the iPhone was best, then that would be news.

Actually this is news. Siri has developed the ability to give a sarcastic response to a dumb question.

• Reply 57 of 77
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    techguy911 wrote: »
    Do we really need an entire AI posting about the result of a question to Siri, who greenlighted this?

Are you kidding? AI not only posted it, they wrote a whole post about it, calling it an "issue". Might as well ask Siri to find dark matter near you.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    luxom3 wrote: »

Feels good to fantasize about your enemies getting up in arms doesn't it? Yeah... They're so secretly jealous of your Windows Phone, and all 38 apps available on it. So jealous.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So sad to see AI report this click bait. I asked Siri this exact question and got a completely different answer. Oh and when Siri reported back what I said smartphone came back as two words not one. So I call BS on this.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    nkingmannkingman Posts: 44member

It does work! But only if you add Wolfram to the beginning of the question. Tested it on my iPhone 4S and confirmed.