Rumor: Microsoft to launch Office for Apple's iOS in November

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 80
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,099member


    Microsoft Office is a necessary evil in the enterprise.  I for one am looking forward to it on iOS.  We've just finished deploying iPhones to our sales staff and we're in the process of implementing iPads.  We're finding that a lot of our excel spreadsheets do not format columns correctly in Pages.  We may not show decimals in a column, yet they display in Pages, ruining the formatting.  That's just one example.



    So I say bring it on Microsoft.  If they price it right, I'll bet it will be one of the highest-selling apps for iOS.  iWork just doesn't have the chops for the enterprise.

  • Reply 22 of 80
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 439member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


     


     


    Oh and it better launch with iCloud compatibility from day one and retina support etc. And be seriously bug checked up down left right and inside out. Because they are way way late to this game and anything that is missing or goes wrong will get them destroyed in the reviews and ratings. 


     



    Are you serious? iWorks is not iCloud compatible to start with

  • Reply 23 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Microsoft Office is a necessary evil in the enterprise.  I for one am looking forward to it on iOS.  We've just finished deploying iPhones to our sales staff and we're in the process of implementing iPads.  We're finding that a lot of our excel spreadsheets do not format columns correctly in Pages.  We may not show decimals in a column, yet they display in Pages, ruining the formatting.  That's just one example.


    So I say bring it on Microsoft.  If they price it right, I'll bet it will be one of the highest-selling apps for iOS.  iWork just doesn't have the chops for the enterprise.

    That's exactly why Office is here to stay. We also tried alternatives (both iWork and OpenOffice). While they were ok 95% of the time, the remaining 5% was a nightmare. "Close" isn't good enough for many people.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post


    Are you serious? iWorks is not iCloud compatible to start with



     


    wrong - iWork (no "s") for iOS is fully iCloud compatible and the desktop version has half-assed support that will be upgraded to full support very soon now. 

  • Reply 25 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post


    Are you serious? iWorks is not iCloud compatible to start with



     


    Apps made for iCloud.


    iCloud is already seamlessly integrated with the Apple iWork apps for your iOS devices — Pages,Keynote, and Numbers. And we’ve given developers the tools to make their apps work with iCloud, too. So you can do things like paint a masterpiece, edit stock lists, and more — and have it all with you on all your devices, including your Mac or PC.


     


  • Reply 26 of 80
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member


    Office on the iPad!!! Are you serious???? This is like the most.........inconsequential, boring non-"news" that I could care less about. And in November, huh? Well, that's Microsoft time, not anything like Eastern or Pacific, right? So we should see this in March of 2013 then. At the earliest. Well, great then...

  • Reply 27 of 80
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Well right off the bat I know what the iOS Office "probably" won't support, and that's VB-scripts. The "Biz-Dude" wizards I know love those things.

    I also doubt whether some of the new fonts like Calibri, Cambria, Candara, etc. will be able to be used. Unless of course MS embeds them in their App.... which, when viewing on another device through email attachments or Goodreader, will break the doc. layout.

    That's just 2 things off of the top of my head that will make iOffice just as different from Office for the desktop, as Pages and Numbers is now.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

    If Microsoft made PowerPoint for iOS, that would be the ultimate presentation tool.


     


    Apple should support or even make a Bluetooth (low energy) remote control for the iOS devices like the iPad and even the iPod touch and iPhone. That would be awesome for Keynote presentations. Something like this, but for iOS devices:


     


    Keyspan Wireless Presentation Remote for Conferences, Boardrooms and Classrooms

  • Reply 29 of 80
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,342member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    Microsoft Office is a necessary evil in the enterprise.  I for one am looking forward to it on iOS.  We've just finished deploying iPhones to our sales staff and we're in the process of implementing iPads.  We're finding that a lot of our excel spreadsheets do not format columns correctly in Pages.  We may not show decimals in a column, yet they display in Pages, ruining the formatting.  That's just one example.



    So I say bring it on Microsoft.  If they price it right, I'll bet it will be one of the highest-selling apps for iOS.  iWork just doesn't have the chops for the enterprise.



    I totally agree. 


     


    There are a lot of business and government users who have no choice but to use Office to ensure 100% document and feature compatibility.I actually think that Office is a far more important "platform" for MS than Windows is. If Microsoft releases Office for iOS that will prove that Microsoft thinks Office is more important than Windows, too (otherwise, they'd try using the availability of Office as a competitive advantage to push Windows tablets). In fact, I bet Microsoft ends up making more money off of each sale of Office to iOS users than off of each sale of Windows to PC OEMs. 

  • Reply 30 of 80
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 439member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


     


    Apps made for iCloud.


    iCloud is already seamlessly integrated with the Apple iWork apps for your iOS devices — Pages,Keynote, and Numbers. And we’ve given developers the tools to make their apps work with iCloud, too. So you can do things like paint a masterpiece, edit stock lists, and more — and have it all with you on all your devices, including your Mac or PC.


     



    Copy paste from some publicity.


    Did you notice Pages on iPad and on iMac do not synchronize.


    Hence, to me, Pages on iOS is not really meant for iCloud, is it?

  • Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

    I am a business dude and i have no problem _not_ using Microsoft Office. Libre Office can do 90% of what Office does...the other 10% is just bloat very few actually need. iWork can do the same. To say otherwise is pure BS.

     

    You must not do much more than word processing and light spreadsheets because nothing else out there has the sophistication of Excel for advanced spreadsheets. Also, Access is pretty powerful for quickly storing and querying data. Nothing touches MS Office for these business tasks.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

    Are you serious? iWorks is not iCloud compatible to start with


     


    So you haven't used it in the past year?


     


    Quote:


    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

    Copy paste from some publicity.




    No, it's a feature set being advertised. If it wasn't true, they'd be sued.


     


    Quote:


    Did you notice Pages on iPad and on iMac do not synchronize.



     


    Of course they do. Anything you send to iCloud from your Mac automatically updates if changes are applied elsewhere.

  • Reply 33 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Uninterested_Viewer View Post


     

    You must not do much more than word processing and light spreadsheets because nothing else out there has the sophistication of Excel for advanced spreadsheets. Also, Access is pretty powerful for quickly storing and querying data. Nothing touches MS Office for these business tasks.


    Although there is no Access on Mac, which is a shame since I agree it is rather handy. I have not used Filemaker for many years. Is it SQL yet?

  • Reply 34 of 80
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post


    What consumers really want is the iWork suite for Windows.





    Why will you want that when you can use google docs for FREE. and your files work across all platforms. iOS, android, windows, linux, mac. Its in the cloud with the option to save locally and real time collab.


     


    To get me to buy office software it better come with free strippers cause google docs just everything the typical user would want


     


     


     


    ..........That being said, I am almost done doing my masters thesis and THANK GOD for excel. COUNTIFS FTW!!!! lol

  • Reply 35 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

    Why will you want that when you can use google docs for FREE.


     


    Maybe I'd like the contents of my documents to not be whored out for more "accurate" advertisements.

  • Reply 36 of 80


    I am so amazed that there are so many apple users who do not want their apple device to sell even more.  MS office is a must in the enterprise world. Ms office being sold on IOS devices will make the ipad sell a TON more in the business world.  THe only thing left is for apple to make their security control better. Everything on an ipad needs to be controlled by the iphone configuration utility. Something setup in a profile must not be able to be changed by the devices user. Get these things fixed and IOS devices would be perfect for bsuinesses .


     


    Ms Office being available is a big step.

  • Reply 37 of 80
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member


    Yeah...it will suck and we'll buy it anyway for lack of real alternative.  

  • Reply 38 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

    Yeah...it will suck and we'll buy it anyway for lack of real alternative.  


     


    iWork… 

  • Reply 39 of 80
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    I am so amazed that there are so many apple users who do not want their apple device to sell even more.  MS office is a must in the enterprise world. Ms office being sold on IOS devices will make the ipad sell a TON more in the business world.  THe only thing left is for apple to make their security control better. Everything on an ipad needs to be controlled by the iphone configuration utility. Something setup in a profile must not be able to be changed by the devices user. Get these things fixed and IOS devices would be perfect for bsuinesses .


     


    Ms Office being available is a big step.



     


    Lets not get caught up here. This forum represents the apple FANBOYS. the FANBOYS make up about 5% of the owners of apple products nowadays, although they are so vocal you would think its more.


     


    The AVERAGE ipad/iphone user would obviously love to have this for business purposes.


     


    Its kinda like the genesis/super nintendo fights from back in the day, lol.

  • Reply 40 of 80
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    So you haven't used it in the past year?




    No, it's a feature set being advertised. If it wasn't true, they'd be sued.


     


     


    Of course they do. Anything you send to iCloud from your Mac automatically updates if changes are applied elsewhere.



    For those of us that use Excel there isn't anything that Apple has that can even come close. Pages and Keynote is a different story but there is nothing like Excel anywhere.Numbers is a joke and hasn't made any progress.

Sign In or Register to comment.