Alleged next-gen iPhone part shows aluminum back, smaller dock connector

Comments

• Reply 81 of 164
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

how do you know this is what we'll see on store shelves?

I can't see at the moment ...

• Reply 82 of 164
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Device end is mandated to be microUSB.

A split/connection between the charger itself and the wire to the device is largely irrelevant.

Now, there is some argument about whether you could comply by having an adaptor that was local to the phone end. E.g. a cable terminates in microUSB and a small adaptor to a dock connecter (or anything else) next to the device, but this would certianly not be in the spirt of the regs, and many are arguing it would simply not be compatible with the regs at all (well, unless the adaptor could be left permanently and securely attached to the phone, and also offered a flush micro-USB connecter, not a tail end.

[You could NOT have just a 1inch/3cm cable and claim you were compliant. Well you could try, but quite apart from whether you would be compliant or not, you would be laughed out of town. It would compromise the idea that you don't need to carry the charger or have lots of them.]

Even if we ignore that USB doesn't allow for all the options that are needed It's a Universal Charging Solution not Universal Phone Solution.
  • Reply 83 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And Apple will receive an exception to that. Apple can do whatever they want, because no one should be forced to conform to something as idiotic as microUSB.

I think we will have to differ on that.

However, do you agree with the assessment that it will be either:

- dock again

- microUSB

- nothing.

• Reply 84 of 164
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Even if we ignore that USB doesn't allow for all the options that are needed It's a Universal Charging Solution not Universal Phone Solution.

What other options? Isn't the dock connector cable USB on the other end anyway?

• Reply 85 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't have to just have microUSB, you can have other ports.

Additionally, while you have to be fully a microUSB socket (i.e enclose normally, not just also grasp), you are free to have other connectors on the same proprietry plug. E.g. you could make a flat horizontal cable that had microUSB plug parrallel with other connectors, and plug that goes into them together in a single insertion. [Nobody would make that, but I mention it to lead into:]

Or, you could take a microUSB socket and surround it by another socket. e.g. microUSB core, other connectors on a proprietry plug around the outside.

That gets your pin count up, lets you keep a proprietry connector in your ecosystem, not have two sockets and also get onboard microUSB.

There is no way it will not be microUSB compatible IF they move from dock connector.

The fallout would be huge.

Yes Apple is big enough to get away with things, but will not want the fallout. They asprie to have green credentials.

• Reply 86 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishop of Southwark View Post

I think we will have to differ on that.

However, do you agree with the assessment that it will be either:

- dock again

- microUSB

- nothing.

No, I'll agree that it will be the 30-pin USB Dock Connector, a brand new, smaller Dock Connector of Apple's design and incorporating different pins, or nothing.

• Reply 87 of 164

Quote:

No, I'll agree that it will be the 30-pin USB Dock Connector, a brand new, smaller Dock Connector of Apple's design and incorporating different pins, or nothing.

Ok, we will have to wait and see.

[N.b. I do not rule out the socket also accepting a new proprietry connector that encapsulates a microUSB plug in its design.]

I will also through another one into the mix, HDMI type D connector, but I'd argue that is not at all likley. Indeed, if apple did go with a new custom design, it would almost certainly be something new called 'microDisplayPort' or something like that (to take this point full cirle), but my money goes for something incorporating microUSB *IF* they move from 30pin dock.

• Reply 88 of 164
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member

Quote:

And Apple will receive an exception to that. Apple can do whatever they want, because no one should be forced to conform to something as idiotic as microUSB.

I agree - what a stupid mandate to force companies to provide a slow, low bandwidth, "solution" to connectivity and charging.  Frankly, I'd prefer to have the 30 pin connector than any of the micro-USB ports I've used with my kids' phones or my BT headset.  They may be small, but they feel cheap.  I think Apple needs to figure out the Mag-safe connector if they're going to do anything different.  That has got to be the most brilliant connector out on the market, at least as far as power connectors go.

• Reply 89 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazz52 View Post

This is absolutely awful. There is no way this is the real deal. If it is, bye bye Apple, hello Android

i think this is the real deal. But you are going to ditch apple because you don't like the look of the iphone? Hello loss of apps, worse battery life, and good luck getting any updates.

• Reply 90 of 164
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    I think there's some distortion in the photo making it look taller/longer. The reason I say that is the letters in "iPhone" are also a bit stretched out of proportion.
  • Reply 91 of 164
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

same crap... Apple design team just rehashing now.

• Reply 92 of 164
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I don't like this design at all. I don't see why they couldn't do an edge to edge metal plate.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/165656/width/600/height/299][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/165656/width/600/height/299[/IMG][/URL]

Even if it doesn't make any calls, I'd rather have that than the split design, hell poke some holes in it or something - they use the Apple logo in the iMac for wifi signals and it's edge to edge metal on the back. Apple might announce the new iPhone at WWDC available for preorder and shipping in August but damn, I hope it's not this. I know I said I didn't like the iPhone 4 design either and quite honestly I still don't but it makes sense and it is reminiscent of a Leica camera. This split design is just not nice at all. Maybe it will be different seeing it for real but I really doubt it.
  • Reply 93 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

You must hate the Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air… image

• Reply 94 of 164
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm not sure I buy this at all.  Given the timing, wouldn't right now be more the time when various prototypes are being created and far too soon for a finished product?

Unless it's an old prototype, I think it's starting to get a bit late to finalize the design.
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Function has nothing to do with it.  My first car from over 25 years ago functioned quite well.  Yet todays same car version looks drastically different then the version I had even though its function was superb.

There is a word however, that both the automakers and Apple's iPhone wish to avoid, and that word is...

STALE!

While I think it would be nice to have a different design, I don't know why designs must be changed every two years. Apple updates their Mac styling every 3-5 years and they still can't make them fast enough.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That is looking much more authentic. The level of detail, the change of the device while keeping the familiar shape of the iPhone 4/4S. It also looks like that a broken display or Home Button will be much easier to fix as you'll access the components from the front.
    Click above for larger image
    I do wonder how the antenna would be implemented with such a large aluminium chassis.

The lacing (a machining term for the interval zen garden-like cuts) look awful, nothing like the internal plate on iPhone 4, which tell me it just can't be a production Apple part. I doubt prototypes would be in wide enough distribution for someone to sneak pictures of it. I'm skeptical that the grille is something Apple would use.
  • Reply 95 of 164

Did you guys notice the leaked part from sw-box DOES fit in the frame? 

• Reply 96 of 164
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Try "vastly improving an already winning design."

They've fixed exactly the parts that were broken (puny screen, glass back, proprietary charger).

Apple's design genius is alive and kicking.

• Reply 97 of 164
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Unless it's an old prototype, I think it's starting to get a bit late to finalize the design.
    While I think it would be nice to have a different design, I don't know why designs must be changed every two years. Apple updates their Macs every 3-5 years and they still can't make them fast enough.
    The lacing (a machining term for the interval zen garden-like cuts) look awful, nothing like the internal plate on iPhone 4, which tell me it just can't be a production Apple part. I doubt prototypes would be in wide enough distribution for someone to sneak pictures of it. I'm skeptical that the grille is something Apple would use.
    I'm skeptical period. These prototypes look like a bad photoshop mockup. I just can't see Jony Ive signing off on something like this.
  • Reply 98 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by iphonemedic View Post

Did you guys notice the leaked part from sw-box DOES fit in the frame?

So does a Tesla S. What's your point? image

165665.png

• Reply 99 of 164
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    drdoppio wrote: »
    Try "vastly improving an already winning design."

They've fixed exactly the parts that were broken (puny screen, glass back, proprietary charger).

Apple's design genius is alive and kicking.
    These remind me of bad photoshop mockups. I'll be very surprised if the finished product looks like this.
  • Reply 100 of 164
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    While I think it would be nice to have a different design, I don't know why designs must be changed every two years. Apple updates their Macs every 3-5 years and they still can't make them fast enough.

Good point. The machining is messy - and will be time consuming and expensive on millions of devices. One more good reason for Liquidmetal.

agramonte wrote: »

You have to love the Apple haters. When it comes to Samsung making a phone that's a near identical copy of the iPhone, it's just natural because it's the only way to build a phone. But when it comes to a possible complete redesign of the iPhone, it's just rehashing. Amazing.

GrangerFX wrote: »
    Is there any chance that the mini dock connector could actually be a thunderbolt port? My guess is not because the electronics to support a thunderbolt port would be more than a small mobile device could support but I can still imagine the possibilities. One thing I would love to do with an iOS is use the port for a wired ethernet connection for maximum bandwidth and/or security. Thunderbolt would allow this along with direct connection to an external monitor or high speed storage. It would make it possible to plug any iOS device into a super dock which would really blur the line between mobile devices and portable computers.

I would be surprised if it's Thunderbolt. There just aren't enough Thunderbolt computers out there. It is possible that there would be the option of a Thunderbolt - 30 pin cable (or whatever replaces 30 pin), but they will have to have USB, as well.

mstone wrote: »
    Good to know. So if the screen is glass, why does the back have to be radio transparent? Can't the signal go through the front?

Sure. If you don't mind always having to face the cell tower.

philboogie wrote: »
    If you want to avoid red-eyed pictures of people with flash you would need to separate the physical location of the flash and the lens as far away as possible. THAT is what a good designer would do, after understanding the reason for that fact. (wiki)

Even if you put the flash on the opposite side from the camera, it's not far enough to prevent red eye. It might help, but at the distances we're talking about, it won't matter much. It would be easier to sort it out electronically.

mstone wrote: »
    So I gather from this description that untethered wireless charging would also be non-compliant.

I hope not. Wasteful and inefficient. We should not be doing things that waste energy for no reason other than people's unwillingness to take 2 seconds to plug in their phone. I estimated at one time that wireless charging of hundreds of millions of phones would waste enough power to cost an entire full scale power plant - and all the resulting pollution. And it's too easy to misalign the device and not have it charge properly (at least, that's what happens with our Wii controllers).