Apple quietly updates Mac Pro with Intel Xeon CPU [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 155
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    plokoonpma wrote: »
    no thunderbolt, usb3.. I rarely complaint about updates cause they pack almost always enough features that will make it good enough... at least prices remain the same and its not that expensive to go 6 cores.. but..

I have to agree. They care very little for this machine if they didn't even add TB or USB 3.0.
  • Reply 42 of 155
    How sad, I've been wanting a Pro with thunderbolt, now it is dead, how sad.
    On another note, technical difficulties with the Canada apple site seems to be leaving it down (had the old page and went back down)
  • Reply 43 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfeier View Post

This is not an update, it's an insult! Looks like Apple wants it to fail so they have an excuse to kill the line. Very disappointing to me personally, but it probably makes sense from a business point of view.

Not trying is never good form the business point of view.   It sends the wrong message to your customers.

As to this "update" i'm a bit in shock, Apple had got tot realize that this sends the wrong message to its customers pro and not so pro.   The lack of a real GPU update though is totally shocking.    A new chip soldered to the motherboard would have ben better than this.

I have to believe something is up at Apple and this is some sort of stop gap measure.

• Reply 44 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Wow.  That's really quite pathetic!

Pathetic is way to kind but an honest appraisal would likely get censored here.

• Reply 45 of 155
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member

Terrible update and terrible reporting by AI.  The headline here is that it's barely an update (to a TWO YEAR OLD CPU).  And still no sata III, usb3, or thunderbolt.

In short, the only explanation for this is that they think they can sell a few last machines to suckers before killing the model.

• Reply 46 of 155
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

If Apple doesn't want to bother with us Mac Pro customers anymore, they should just end the line and license OS X to another company that can legally make a decent pro machine. The license would limit it to only Xeon class so as not to compete with the iMac or Mini. This is just an insult. I feel so sorry for all the people that were desperate for a real new Mac Pro today. My 2008 model will have to serve a while longer. To call it new when it looks the same, doesn't include a truly modern CPU and an ancient GPU, no USB3, and not even thunderbolt is like a huge slap in the face. After 2 years waiting and this is what they give us?

The only good news I can take from this debacle is that the Mac Pro line is not dead and hope this is just to clear stock for the actual new Mac Pro update in a few months. Apple never likes to update too many models at once and today it was all about the new retina Macbook. After the limelight fades, maybe a new Mac Pro and iMac. 

• Reply 47 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Pathetic is way to kind but an honest appraisal would likely get censored here.

Why? Have at it.

Unless the appraisal includes links to 9to5Mac, that is. image

And there's no working shake head emoticon, so imagine one until we either uncensor those links or the emoticons start working, whichever comes first.

• Reply 48 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBrickley View Post

I just remote connect to the private cloud and kick off my rendering jobs there.  It's faster that way anyway!

You hear this all the time - render, render, render is all a Mac Pro is good for. If you do a lot of multimedia, desktop publishing, Photoshop etc, the Mac Pro is a workhorse. iMac can't compare to the Mac Pro when it comes to having half of Adobe CS open at the same time and copy huge Photoshop layers or Illustrator drawings with thousands of bezier nodes from one app to the next. Sure some people are rendering long clips in FinalCut but most of our video work is less than two minute long so I'm not going to send it out to the cloud to render. I'm going to export four different versions right in FCP, Fmpeg or QT7, H264, Flash, Ogg, V8 and upload them to the website. That is where the Mac Pro shines, is in multitasking. I couldn't care less about your cloud based render server, I need workstations.

• Reply 49 of 155
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

Yeah I'm gonna chime in and vote for mistaken icon update, or incomplete information update, or something.

Reading the specs it's just old bluetooth 2.1, old low resolution gfx card, old cpu, old old old etc.

Can't be the real deal, can it? If it is.. then Apple has given us a clear message... at least for now.

• Reply 50 of 155

Somebody with a vested interest in the current Mac Pros should write Tim Cook asking for a public comment.   I honestly would not buy the current Mac Pro as it doesn't fit my needs so there is little sense in my asking.   However a professional user might have some leverage.

I'm wondering if Apple gave up on Sandy Bridge E.   As far as I know it is still not shipping in volume.

My biggest concern here with the Mac Pro is that I want Apple to demonstrate that it has a plan for the desktop lineup.    The lack of even modest updates is depressing their sales significantly.    If they can't wrap their heads around what users want it is about time they start asking, because frankly they are chasing customers away.   I need a desktop machine but there is no way I'm going Apple with this sort of disinterest in the product line.

• Reply 51 of 155
    moe lubymoe luby Posts: 14member

For years we had some pretty awesome hardware and a weak OS that couldn't harness the power.  Now we have the best OS in the World and hardware made for Facebooking and Tweating. 

• Reply 52 of 155

the apple page shows the NEW icon next to the mac pros.

• Reply 53 of 155

I am very disappoinoted. However....

I think the problem is intel, not apple, go to check intel website.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/server-motherboards/server-board.html

The MB which support xeon E5 right now didn't support USB 3.0 and thunderbolt natively.

Maybe this is why apple can't update mac pro.

• Reply 54 of 155
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member

I find the Apple Mac Pro Performance Specs to be highly misleading.

Instead of comparing the old 12 core performance against the new 12 core performance, they are now actually comparing:

** the old 8 core performance  against the new 12 core performance ... and reporting a 30% gain ....

I suspect that a large chunk of that 30% is just the 8 to 12 core difference on their rather biased parallel-rich gravy tests ...

But since you could buy a 12 core before, this seems totally contrived. They are reporting nothingness.

Come on Apple ... Show us:  12 core before vs 12 core now .... What's the speed difference? Eh?

• Reply 55 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have to agree. They care very little for this machine if they didn't even add TB or USB 3.0.

Is USB 3  or TB even compatible with Nehalem and Westmere?

• Reply 56 of 155
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The only good news I can take from this debacle is that the Mac Pro line is not dead and hope this is just to clear stock for the actual new Mac Pro update in a few months. Apple never likes to update too many models at once and today it was all about the new retina Macbook. After the limelight fades, maybe a new Mac Pro and iMac. 

I have to agree on the Pro wasn't outright killed at this point (although with the same boards and basic prices as 2 years ago one could argue its being killed), but disagree with you on an update likely coming.  If there was a new Mac Pro coming in a few months Apple would never have bothered to updated the processors just a couple of months in advance.

iMac will get a real update for sure, but it seems very unlikely another update is coming for the Pro.  Time will tell and I hope you're right, but doesn't seem remotely likely to me.

• Reply 57 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Have at it.

Unless the appraisal includes links to 9to5Mac, that is. image

And there's no working shake head emoticon, so imagine one until we either uncensor those links or the emoticons start working, whichever comes first.

I will defer until I get a grip on what transpired today.   Talk about ?on the party.   Right now words can not express what i'm feeling????????????????

• Reply 58 of 155
    redisonredison Posts: 19member

Here are the specs from intel's web site for the fastest 2010 Macpro (2.93GHz) and todays fastest 'new' Macpro (3.06GHz).

There is not much of a difference.

Links:

To compare both side by side:

2010 Macpro:

Specifications

Status Launched

Launch Date Q1'10

Processor Number X5670

# of Cores 6

# of Threads 12

Clock Speed 2.93 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency 3.33 GHz

Intel® Smart Cache 12 MB

Bus/Core Ratio 22

Intel® QPI Speed 6.4 GT/s

# of QPI Links 2

Instruction Set 64-bit

Instruction Set Extensions SSE4.2

Embedded Options Available No

Lithography 32 nm

Max TDP 95 W

VID Voltage Range 0.750V-1.350V

Recommended Customer Price TRAY: $1440

BOX : $1443

Datasheet Url Link

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 288 GB

Memory Types DDR3-800/1066/1333

# of Memory Channels 3

Max Memory Bandwidth 32 GB/s

Physical Address Extensions 40-bit

ECC Memory Supported Yes

Graphics Specifications

Integrated Graphics No

Package Specifications

Max CPU Configuration 2

TCASE 81.3°C

Package Size 42.5mm X 45mm

Sockets Supported FCLGA1366

Low Halogen Options Available See MDDS

Advanced Technologies

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Yes

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology Yes

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) Yes

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) Yes

Intel® Trusted Execution Technology Yes

AES New Instructions Yes

Intel® 64 Yes

Idle States Yes

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology Yes

Intel® Demand Based Switching Yes

Thermal Monitoring Technologies No

Execute Disable Bit Yes

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) Yes

2012 Macpro:

Specifications

Status Launched

Launch Date Q1'11

Processor Number X5675

# of Cores 6

# of Threads 12

Clock Speed 3.06 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency 3.46 GHz

Intel® Smart Cache 12 MB

Bus/Core Ratio 23

Intel® QPI Speed 6.4 GT/s

# of QPI Links 2

Instruction Set 64-bit

Instruction Set Extensions SSE4.2

Embedded Options Available No

Lithography 32 nm

Max TDP 95 W

VID Voltage Range 0.750V-1.350V

Recommended Customer Price TRAY: $1440

BOX : $1443

Datasheet Url Link

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 288 GB

Memory Types DDR3-800/1066/1333

# of Memory Channels 3

Max Memory Bandwidth 32 GB/s

Physical Address Extensions 40-bit

ECC Memory Supported Yes

Graphics Specifications

Integrated Graphics No

Package Specifications

Max CPU Configuration 2

TCASE 81.3°C

Package Size 42.5mm X 45mm

Sockets Supported FCLGA1366

Low Halogen Options Available See MDDS

Advanced Technologies

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Yes

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology Yes

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) Yes

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) Yes

Intel® Trusted Execution Technology Yes

AES New Instructions Yes

Intel® 64 Yes

Idle States Yes

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology Yes

Intel® Demand Based Switching Yes

Thermal Monitoring Technologies No

Execute Disable Bit Yes

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) Yes

Both appear to be codenamed  "Westmere-EP" 

-Robert

• Reply 59 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by redison View Post

2010 Macpro:

Processor Number X5670

2012 Macpro:

Processor Number X5675

Woo! It's five integers larger! That means it's better!

Oh, right, not the consumer side of things. image

• Reply 60 of 155
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio995 View Post

I am very disappoinoted. However....

I think the problem is intel, not apple, go to check intel website.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/server-motherboards/server-board.html

The MB which support xeon E5 right now didn't support USB 3.0 and thunderbolt natively.

Maybe this is why apple can't update mac pro.

Then give us at least a Mac with a new top of the line Core i7 that does support thunderbolt and USB3,. The iMac can't handle the fastest i7's due to heat dissipation and there really is no reason for the single CPU version of the Mac Pro to use a Xeon. Dual CPU versions, absolutely, but no appreciable advantage to the single CPU model. Xeon's are also way overpriced and slow to be updated apparently. Only problem is that the single CPU version would be cheaper but also faster since the Xeon is so slow to upgrade. The fastest 6 core i7 would satisfy probably 70% of the Mac Pro crowd. 

What does AMD currently offer that would compete with Xeon? I bet they would bend over backwards to get a foothold with Apple. Is thunderbolt exclusive to Intel or can AMD offer that as well?