Apple's new Retina Display MacBook Pro, MacBook Air sport slimmer MagSafe 2 port

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
On its quest for ever-thinner computers, Apple has created MagSafe 2, a slimmer version of its magnetic power port, for the next-generation MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air.

Apple on Monday unveiled its top-of-the-line 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. The machine is just 0.71 inches thick, 25 percent thinner than the previous generation.

In order to achieve that thinness, Apple had to rethink the laptop's power adapter. "We even created a new, slimmer MagSafe 2 port to accommodate [the next-generation MacBook Pro's] thin, sleek design," the company wrote on its website.

The Cupertino, Calif., Mac maker also made use of the new port in the MacBook Air portables that it announced on Monday. The legacy 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pros that saw a modest upgrade at the Worldwide Developers Conference do not feature the MagSafe 2 connector.

Photos of the new laptops show more horizontal space and less vertical space around the magnetic connection, but it's not immediately clear exactly how much thinner the new port is.

MagSafe 2
Apple's new MagSafe 2 connector.

Another change for MagSafe 2 is the return to a "T"-style connector instead of the "L"-style that Apple has been using as of late. The company previously faced a class-action lawsuit over its T-shaped power adapter, eventually settling with consumers by offering either replacement adapters or refunds for replacement purchases.

The new MagSafe 2 adapters are not backwards compatible with previous generations of MacBook products, though Apple has added a $9.99 MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter that will allow MagSafe 2-equipped computers to utilize MagSafe connectors on LED Cinema Displays, Thunderbolt Displays and first-generation MagSafe power adapters. Apple, however, does not seem to have released a MagSafe 2 to MagSafe converter that would let older devices use the adapter that comes with the new laptops.

MagSafe 2
Source: Apple

An 85W MagSafe 2 power adapter (for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display) and a 45W adapter (for the new MacBook Air) are now being sold in the Apple Online Store for $79, the same price as first-generation MagSafe adapters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    I don't see the purpose. The old MagSafe connector fit just fine on a MacBook Air and these new computers are not any thinner. Maybe they plan on making even thinner ones eventually, but I don't see how you can get thinner than the headphone jack. Also I really prefer the current connectors over these T-shaped ones.
  • Reply 2 of 49

WHY go back to the T connector? I have laptops with both the T and L connectors, and the L connector is much better.

• Reply 3 of 49

The new Macbook is sick, but I just don't understand why Apple didn't talk about the new airport express at the keynote. They had a huge stage to promote it, and they released it without so much as a press release. Apple, such a strange company! The only people really reporting on it are these guys. It's just bizarre.

• Reply 4 of 49
    stustu Posts: 11member
    Also worth noting that these rev2 jobbies do not charge the battery whilst you're using the notebook, only when it's off or in sleep mode. This update seems a backward step in a couple of ways.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

No matte display, no purchase. At least as an option. Even if more expensive. Sign the petition at

MacMatte (matte petition)

• Reply 6 of 49
    zunx wrote: »
    No matte display, no purchase. At least as an option. Even if more expensive. Sign the petition at
    http://macmatte.wordpress.com

Oh god...And lose the sharpness of the retina display? I'm ok.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Oh god...And lose the sharpness of the retina display? I'm ok.

No, to lose the glossiness! ;)

• Reply 8 of 49
    flappahflappah Posts: 6member

The glossiness doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I really like the screens as they are right now. It's what the screens make so beautiful as they are. On the other hand, I know of plenty people who are really bothered by it so I really don't get it why it can't be offered as an option so that people can choose. 

• Reply 9 of 49
    hattighattig Posts: 860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The retina display is meant to reduce glare by 75%, so it's probably worth waiting for reviews before spamming a pointless petition everywhere.

• Reply 10 of 49
    rkemp77rkemp77 Posts: 3member

I'm surprised by the lack of discussion regarding the loss of the Kensington lock port. Or am I missing something? MBP's are the most stolen laptop and now the most expensive one (not complaining since I think it is a lot for the money and I would max it out) may be a NO BUY since I don't, at this point, see a way to lock it. It has kept me from buying an Air and without a real upgrade to the Mac Pro I may have to leave Mac as several other sites have mentioned since I simply can't wait for something that may happen in 2013. I think if China wanted a Mac Pro it would have been presented yesterday. Unfortunately, I think the USA is second in the eyes of Apple as China is mentioned more and more in the presentations and commercials. I understand the business reason for it but it's kind of a bummer.  

• Reply 11 of 49
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkemp77 View Post

I'm surprised by the lack of discussion regarding the loss of the Kensington lock port. 

Have you ever tried actually pulling a Kensington lock out of the slot? We had a heap of iMacs stolen, every Kensington lock (genuine ones, not cheap Chinese rip-offs) had broken at the cross section of the T. We experimented with them afterward, and a sharp tug at the correct angle and the T just snaps right off. Complete waste of time and absolutely no security at all.

I do agree with you about the Mac Pro though, and I'm sure many others do too. I'm still on a 2006 Mac Pro, which even now is still running like the day it was made. Can't quite say the same for the 2006 iMacs and MacBooks. Two years since the last Mac Pro update, and we get just a minor speed bump? That's just insulting.

• Reply 12 of 49
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu View Post

Also worth noting that these rev2 jobbies do not charge the battery whilst you're using the notebook, only when it's off or in sleep mode. This update seems a backward step in a couple of ways.

I suspect this is because of the tightly packed components that run hot.  The battery will add heat when charging as well.  It will likely kick in the charge when cpu is idle or temps are within acceptable limits.  However, I do see the disadvantage in this considering the price.

• Reply 13 of 49
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

Quote:

I'm not sure where you got that from? 

Quote from apple.com:

This power adapter recharges the lithium polymer battery while the system is off, on, or in sleep mode. It also powers the system if you choose to operate without a battery.

I think it's ridiculous that Apple keeps introducing different ports and standards. As others have said, the old Magsafe port was fine on the Air which is half the thickness of the MacBook Pro, now we have to have yet another adapter for this new "Magsafe 2" fad. It's all very well making things thinner, but if you need to cart a bagful of adapters with you wherever you go, that seems to defeat the purpose somewhat. Of course occasionally a new port/standard needs to be introduced, but this one really seems like a waste of time.

• Reply 14 of 49
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member

Great. Now the 1/2 dozen power adapters I've acquired and spread out around my house and office since the magsafe was introduced now require an additional adapter to be used. 

No charging while using the laptop? Seriously? How about some form of smart charging while using the laptop instead? 

• Reply 15 of 49
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

I suspect this is because of the tightly packed components that run hot.  The battery will add heat when charging as well.  It will likely kick in the charge when cpu is idle or temps are within acceptable limits.  However, I do see the disadvantage in this considering the price.

yeah, I don't get that, and I don't think its true. Even my older MBP stops charging the battery when I'm pushing the machine hard, as there is just not enough power left to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

I'm not sure where you got that from? 

I think it's ridiculous that Apple keeps introducing different ports and standards. As others have said, the old Magsafe port was fine on the Air which is half the thickness of the MacBook Pro, now we have to have yet another adapter for this new "Magsafe 2" fad. It's all very well making things thinner, but if you need to cart a bagful of adapters with you wherever you go, that seems to defeat the purpose somewhat. Of course occasionally a new port/standard needs to be introduced, but this one really seems like a waste of time.

it fit on the air because they could fit things in at angles.  With the flat side, the port doesn't fit.  They would have to had made the machine wider to use angles (and look ugly), or thicker.... or make a new port.  I think the new port was the best option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhvide View Post

Great. Now the 1/2 dozen power adapters I've acquired and spread out around my house and office since the magsafe was introduced now require an additional adapter to be used. 

No charging while using the laptop? Seriously? How about some form of smart charging while using the laptop instead? 

just leave the adapter to use older magsafes stuck in your laptop?  I'm not sure the charing thing is true.

• Reply 16 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Really? Where did you read that? It seems completely counter productive to docking it to a Cinema display and working all day.The battery is rated at 7 hours.

EDIT: It does work while in use. I just went to Apple store and this is copied from the page

"This power adapter recharges the lithium polymer battery while the system is off, on, or in sleep mode. It also powers the system if you choose to operate without a battery."

Apparently you can remove the battery judging that last statement. 

• Reply 17 of 49
    I'm sure there's plenty of room inside the world's most advanced consumer computer for extra stuff. They should have just kept the old/larger MagSafe tech inside.

In fact, why update anything at all, ever? Come to think of it, let's go back! Bring back floppies, larger units, and lower res displays. Processors are getting too fast, making computers uncomfortably snappy and capable.

Just anything so I can keep more old shit laying around my apartment.

Who's with me???
  • Reply 18 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    flappah wrote: »
    The glossiness doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I really like the screens as they are right now. It's what the screens make so beautiful as they are. On the other hand, I know of plenty people who are really bothered by it so I really don't get it why it can't be offered as an option so that people can choose. 

Strange huh? Why Apple only offered that on the 17inch is baffling.
    elijahg wrote: »
    I'm still on a 2006 Mac Pro, which even now is still running like the day it was made. Can't quite say the same for the 2006 iMacs and MacBooks.

See, the MP is the cheapest Mac. People who replace their laptop every 2 or 3 years are spending way more. Strangely, these are the ones complaining that the MP is such an expensive PC.
  • Reply 19 of 49

Hey! Could that new magsafe adaptor be the new smaller connector for iOS devices?

• Reply 20 of 49
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by okeribok View Post

Hey! Could that new magsafe adaptor be the new smaller connector for iOS devices?

I doubt it, because it doesn't have any data pins.