Aggressive pricing seen as key to Microsoft Surface's chance of success

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    gelpgelp Posts: 22member
    I just watched the keynote.
    It may be a great device, but where are the applications? Don't tell me what it can do, show me! Great christmas gift, sad present 3 months later. They have still 6 months to work on applications so maybe it will be good.
  • Reply 42 of 128
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    gelp wrote: »
    I just watched the keynote.
    It may be a great device, but where are the applications? Don't tell me what it can do, show me! Great christmas gift, sad present 3 months later. They have still 6 months to work on applications so maybe it will be good.

Max of four months for the RT model, if it's coming out in October when Win 8 is expected, as they said it would.
  • Reply 43 of 128
    Hey if they price them @ about a dollar I am ALL over it I need a bunch of boat anchors.
  • Reply 44 of 128
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

The Surface tablets definitely perked my interest although I am curious about its hardware specs. I have ZERO interest in Windows RT though, so I would opt for the Windows 8 model. Why would I purchase Windows RT that loses backwards compatibility with x86 apps and has nearly no apps out the door?

• Reply 45 of 128
    gelpgelp Posts: 22member
    @melgross
    True, but who dares to be an early adopter. :-)
    off topic: why doesn't the reply button work for me
  • Reply 46 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It does, it just doesn't do what you think it does. That's what the quote button is for.

We really need to remove the "Reply" and "Start a New Thread" buttons.
  • Reply 47 of 128
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Agressive pricing for Microsoft isn't going to be cheap, just look at how much they charge for Windows. $199 versus Apple's Mountain Lion $19.99.

Who's got the aggressive pricing?

It isn't Microsoft.

Since they haven't even mentioned when it will be released or the price it is a fair bet that they won't undercut the iPad even for there so called consumer version. They'll tout having a so called real keyboard as there advantage over the iPad.

They better work really hard on the software and make it smooth and fast or there tablet dreams will fall apart instantly.

• Reply 48 of 128
    cambocambo Posts: 38member

Maybe a few TV ads with Balmer, sweating profusely and desperately yelling at people, will help get the message out.

Fantastic job, Micro****, I predict they are going to sell HUNDREDS of these, once they catch on like the Zune did.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Let the lawsuits begin!

Cheers,

Cameron

• Reply 49 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It does, it just doesn't do what you think it does. That's what the quote button is for.

We really need to remove the "Reply" and "Start a New Thread" buttons.

They are WAY too confusing!

• Reply 50 of 128
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    @melgross
    True, but who dares to be an early adopter. :-)

Early adopters have to put up with problems later users may have seen solved.

It depends on why you're using the "reply" button.
  • Reply 51 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    b9bot wrote: »
    Agressive pricing for Microsoft isn't going to be cheap, just look at how much they charge for Windows. $199 versus Apple's Mountain Lion $19.99.

Apple is a hardware company. They sell hardware on which that software runs. You can't run it without the hardware you already bought from them. Microsoft is a software company. They sell software specifically, and that's where they have to get their money..
  • Reply 52 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

MSFT was taking billions in losses with XBox for several years.

Perhaps this is the new strategy, but I can see Apple dropping prices to force them into a no-win position.

Apple is not Sony or Nintendo.

That's the thing about Apple... it sells millions and millions of its products, yet it still makes a ton of $$$ on each unit.

If Apple ever wanted to change its game plan they could lower their margin for a year or two and drive a bunch of competitors out of business... but why change if business is good.

• Reply 53 of 128
    freshmaker wrote: »
    All depends on the price.  At worst case it's the same price as a MBA.  At best it's around iPad2 pricing.  There's no way they'll see even 1/3 of Apple's sales - they're way too late to the party for that.  IF it runs well, and IF you can throw Office on it, I can see it doing pretty well in the enterprise space and easily becoming the #2 tablet out there. 

MS is never too late if they focus on Office and the Enterprise with their virtual monopoly of Windows OS. All they need to be is reasonably good, then change the game by creating new connectivity and sharing protocols. They need only convince corporate purchasers and corporate IT managers that you can't go wrong buying Microsft.

The best Apple and others can do is be enterprise compatible; Microsoft defines the enterprise.
  • Reply 54 of 128
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Its going to be like a box of chocolates...pretty on the outside but once you start to bite into the chocolate you realize it tastes like shit!

so...i'm thinking you actually mean a box of chocolate covered shit, because when i eat chocolate, it tastes like chocolate. ;-)

other than that, i think you're spot on.

• Reply 55 of 128
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

The problems I see with these are:

For the RT version, it's an iPad competitor. Like most are saying, they need a lot of apps and quick in order for it to be popular. It might be easy to do if there is a way to port regular Windows 8 app(lication)s over. The main attraction is that this isn't Windows Phone, it's more along the line of the desktop OS lots of people will be installing or will come with their PCs next year. Even still, users will have to consider this vs. an iPad when buying.

For the Pro version, it runs full blown Windows 8 in a tiny package. This is vastly appealing since the unit looks sleek and you can do all the things you do on your desktop computer. But aside from being prone to viruses like regular windows machines, how can they expect it to run more than 3-4 hours max on it's own? Compare this physical size to a Macbook Air, and they'll be hard pressed to find a way to make it run for long enough so users won't be frustrated. The battery has to be pretty small to fit in that package.

• Reply 56 of 128
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member

A big issue, one which I am seeing mentioned hardly at all, is that Microsoft is now positioning itself as both a partner with and a competitor to the OEMs. If the Surface products are any kind of success, this relationship is bound to chafe the backsides of their OEM partners. They had better be very careful about how they deal with the OEMs or they could find themselves back in hot water with the Department of Justice.

• Reply 57 of 128

It might be cool, IF we could turn into a hackinpad?

• Reply 58 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Microsoft themselves quoted this as being 'around about ultra book' pricing levels. That's one damn expensive tablet.

I noticed that, although Microsoft tried to make the keynote 'Apple-like' the thing was very poorly done. The Surface shitting itself in the first few minutes of the demonstration didn't impress many either.

I did like some of the ideas they've implemented, and kudos to them for not doing an outright Samsung, but it may not be enough.

Time will tell.

that's for the intel version, which would make it just about as expensive as an ipad, fully loaded, which probably wouldnt do half of what this windows model would on an intel chip... but seeing is believing. balls in microsofts court. 

• Reply 59 of 128
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

A portable computing device with a physical keyboard? That's ingenious - it's called a laptop and they've been around for years.

• Reply 60 of 128
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Think about it:

Why would you be interested in a product, whose ENTIRE EXISTENCE is motivated by a REACTION to being left behind by changing market forces?

Everything Windows 8 is, everything this device is, everything behind Microsoft's current "strategy", demonstrates this basic premise. Which is why none of what they're doing actually makes any sense. It doesn't make any sense because the original source isn't Microsoft's *own* vision. The original source is Apple's control of the industry's agenda.