GM's Chevy Spark, Sonic first with Siri Eyes Free for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
General Motors is the first car company to announce support for Apple's new "Eyes Free" mode for the iPhone, as the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic will be among the first vehicles compatible with Siri.

Siri Eyes Free integration will debut in the Chevrolet models in the near future, according to GM Authority (via CNet). It's expected that a formal announcement will be made in the next 12 months, but media representatives for GM did not offer further details on timing.

GM was listed among nine automakers last week by Apple when the company announced Siri Eyes free functionality at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. Apple's senior vice president of iOS Software, Scott Forstall, said those manufacturers have committed to implementing Eyes Free Siri integration in the next 12 months.

The full list of car makers revealed by Apple are GM, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler and Honda. Their vehicles will feature a button on the steering wheel that will bring up Siri on a connected iPhone.

Eyes Free

Eyes Free will allow users to call people, select and play music, hear and compose text messages, use Maps and get directions, read notifications, find calendar information, add reminders, and more.

With Eyes Free, the iPhone screen will stay off so it does not distract the driver. Siri functionality will allow the driver to control man of the functions of their iPhone by using their voice, while keeping their eyes on the road.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21

i was looking for a reason to buy one of those cars...NOT.

• Reply 2 of 21
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member

It's starting to add up.

1. Siri Eyes Free in cars.

2. Apple drops Google Maps for their own inferior maps, so they can offer turn-by-turn navigation.

3. iTunes Match now does streaming.

4. And that 7-inch iPad? That's not an iPad.

Hmmm.

• Reply 3 of 21

your point?

• Reply 4 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Introducing Drive, from Apple. Runs on air itself. No gas, no electricity, no hydrogen.

Uses Siri and Apple's own self-driving system (screw Google) to get you where you want to go, if you choose. There's no steering wheel at all. It uses a joystick, as that's far more accurate than a steering wheel.

One model, designed to be between a car and an SUV. Apple's letting Dell build trucks if people want them.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

It's too bad Ford isn't on the list of supported auto makers. That would be a nice feature to go along with Ford Sync. I'm sure with Microsoft behind Ford Sync, I would imagine that's one of the reasons Ford isn't on board. 

• Reply 6 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i was looking for a reason to buy one of those cars...NOT.

I'd take any of the Audi cars.

• Reply 7 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Introducing Drive, from Apple. Runs on air itself. No gas, no electricity, no hydrogen.

Uses Siri and Apple's own self-driving system (screw Google) to get you where you want to go, if you choose. There's no steering wheel at all. It uses a joystick, as that's far more accurate than a steering wheel.

One model, designed to be between a car and an SUV. Apple's letting Dell build trucks if people want them.

And introducing our latest upgrade to Siri... iChauffer™, the first true artificial intelligence that will drive your car automagically.

• Reply 8 of 21
    And introducing our latest upgrade to Siri... iChauffer™, the first true artificial intelligence that will drive your car automagically.

*Parallel parking coming this fall. Please do not try to parallel park with iChauffer until then. It's a beta.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosJk View Post

your point?

Apple is exploring the idea of an in car infotainment system. Competitor to Ford/Microsoft SYNC.

• Reply 10 of 21
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member

I guess my main concern about this idea is that not everyone has an iphone. If I didn't have an iphone and I bought a car, I'd bee damn annoyed about that extra useless button cluttering up the steering wheel.

even if its just an option, there'll be a blank button sitting there if you don't opt for it.

• Reply 11 of 21
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    Funny how you can make a switched off screen an important feature.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I guess my main concern about this idea is that not everyone has an iphone. If I didn't have an iphone and I bought a car, I'd bee damn annoyed about that extra useless button cluttering up the steering wheel.

even if its just an option, there'll be a blank button sitting there if you don't opt for it.

From my understanding, the auto makers are just making their system compatible with Siri. I highly doubt they would only make it compatible with the iPhone. Heck, even Ford Sync by Microsoft is compatible with the iPhone. 

• Reply 13 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Lots of buttons on my car radio I don't ever push...

Now if it's an ugly button? Even with utility now that's a FAIL.

So it's to Audi I go....

• Reply 14 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirdir View Post

Funny how you can make a switched off screen an important feature.

"Driver distraction" is a continuing big thing in safety areas....

• Reply 15 of 21
    icarbon wrote: »
    I guess my main concern about this idea is that not everyone has an iphone. If I didn't have an iPhone and I bought a car, I'd bee damn annoyed about that extra useless button cluttering up the steering wheel. even if its just an option, there'll be a blank button sitting there if you don't opt for it.

There certainly aren't any cars shipping right now with blank plastic panels covering what are actual, working buttons on more expensive versions, that's for sure.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    icarbon wrote: »

So get a Pro-clip and one of the other methods to connect the iPhone to the stereo. You have to extend your arm to get to Siri, but you get the added advantage of being able to read AI while driving. ;/
  • Reply 17 of 21
    dona83dona83 Posts: 14member

Doesn't the Bluetooth talk button activate Siri/Voice Control? It did with my iPhone 4 in a Hyundai Elantra I test drove.

• Reply 18 of 21
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 79member

Most cars have bluetooth to connect to your phone for hands free phone use. If you don't have a phone (or bluetooth enabled one), then that button is useless. Mad about that too? What about all those little squares on your dashboard red served for buttons for features you did not buy? (actually, those bug me :) ).

• Reply 19 of 21
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    The way siri works today, I wouldn't even think about using it while driving. Probably the first sentence 'd try to dictate would turn out to be so funny I'd die laughing.
  • Reply 20 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

It's too bad Ford isn't on the list of supported auto makers. That would be a nice feature to go along with Ford Sync. I'm sure with Microsoft behind Ford Sync, I would imagine that's one of the reasons Ford isn't on board. 

Siri eyes free as "a nice feature to go along with Sync."?  I don't own a Ford with Sync, the only thing I know about it I know from commercials, but Siri Eyes Free sounds like a replacement to Sync to me.  That's why Ford isn't onboard due to their investment in Sync and partnership with Microsoft.