UN looks to slow wireless tech patent war with 'Patent Roundtable'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The system is working! Conflicts get sorted out in court, not by politicians. This is strictly a business matter, FFS.

The lawyers are the only ones winning? Where does this nonsense come from?

Next thing you know, the world court will be running America. Screw that!

Might be better off considering the US economy is in the toilet...

• Reply 22 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

(I gave a thumps up for your response)

Thanks!

People may not always agree with what I write, but I don't run away from any arguments, and I'm usually always willing to debate anybody who disagrees.

• Reply 23 of 49
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I get that a few people don't like me here. I'm ok with that, because I'm outspoken and I tell it like I see it, and that may offend a few Fandroids and various peasants, but there's no reason for you to lie. 

As a matter of fact, I have the #1 top rated post for the past seven days. Your little lie doesn't jive too well with reality.

And I still wish for an anti-ignore switch on this forum, because there are certain posters whom I would block from ever reading my posts.

That's a good idea. I think most people would happily never read another one of your posts ever again.

I can certainly believe you have the #1 most annoying post. In fact you probably hold positions 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7, 8, 9 and 10 as well.

I can live with outspoken but not ignorant, rude, racist and down right nasty. The fact that you call people "peasants" says it all really.

• Reply 24 of 49
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

The system is working! Conflicts get sorted out in court, not by politicians. This is strictly a business matter, FFS.

The lawyers are the only ones winning? Where does this nonsense come from?

Next thing you know, the world court will be running America. Screw that!

All that means is judges decide these issues rather than politicians. Not sure how that helps anyone.

How much have Apple spent on lawyers in the past few years on these cases? And they've still had many of their requests dismissed.

Patents are worldwide not just in the US. We need some form of international control otherwise Apple would have to sue in every single country they sell their goods. How does that make any sense?

• Reply 25 of 49
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The only people winning are the lawyers.

Apple's lawyers saved the company SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS by getting an East Texas patent trolling decision overturned.

This single decision paid for their costs many times over.

• Reply 26 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

That's a good idea. I think most people would happily never read another one of your posts ever again.

I can certainly believe you have the #1 most annoying post. In fact you probably hold positions 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7, 8, 9 and 10 as well.

I can live with outspoken but not ignorant, rude, racist and down right nasty. The fact that you call people "peasants" says it all really.

So, then quit replying to me. Put me on ignore and stop cluttering up the thread with off topic baloney. Problem solved! And the same goes for anybody else who lacks the knowledge to intelligently debate with me, so they have to resort to ad-hominems, attacking my character and not my viewpoints, arguments and statements. 

• Reply 27 of 49
    theshepherdtheshepherd Posts: 164member

The point is that it should probably never have made it to court in the first place.

• Reply 28 of 49
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

I consider the United Nations getting involved a good thing.

It may bring positive results and, if it doesn't, it'll raise awareness of the issue, and is unlikely to affect Apple anyway.

• Reply 29 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I consider the United Nations getting involved a good thing.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but are you aware that some of the countries that are most in favor of the UN getting more involved in the internet are some of the worst and most restrictive countries on the face of the planet? It's no surprise that censor happy and not free countries like China and Russia are in favor of the UN gaining more control of the internet and countries like the US are very much opposed to it. The more the UN is involved in something, the more restrictions will happen. Dictators and murderers all over the world are wishing for the UN to take over the internet, as they will be the ones who benefit the most from it.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-06-01/is-the-un-the-next-big-threat-to-internet-freedom

• Reply 30 of 49
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but are you aware that some of the countries that are most in favor of the UN getting more involved in the internet are some of the worst and most restrictive countries on the face of the planet? It's no surprise that censor happy and not free countries like China and Russia are in favor of the UN gaining more control of the internet and countries like the US are very much opposed to it. The more the UN is involved in something, the more restrictions will happen. Dictators and murderers all over the world are wishing for the UN to take over the internet, as they will be the ones who benefit the most from it.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-06-01/is-the-un-the-next-big-threat-to-internet-freedom

That's an interesting article, and did make me aware of some issues that I wasn't aware of.

Maybe if they keep their business to the topic of "innovation-stifling use of intellectual property" only, and keep their grubby little international hands off anything else, I can't see the harm.

I guess we'll wait and see what happens...

• Reply 31 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Maybe if they keep their business to the topic of "innovation-stifling use of intellectual property" only, and keep their grubby little international hands off anything else, I can't see the harm.

Perhaps, but for some reason, I don't really see them as being trustworthy, impartial or being able to do a good job. But as you said, we'll see what happens. :)

• Reply 32 of 49
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

This part is not completely true.

The US and other signatories to the WTO/GATT voluntarily gave up some of their sovereignty so that unelected, unaccountable persons could adjudicate trade disputes.

This troubles me more than any ineffectual UN grandstanding.

WTF?!?

What has the UN got to do with the WTO? Am I the one who's been taking crazy pills here?

If you read my post, I was addressing your misconception that the US was sovereign, not making any connection between the UN and WTO. I don't know what kind of pills you take, but I have observed similar effects of learning about our lack of sovereignty on people who suffer from the free trade/small government syndrome.  When confronted with the reality that our laws can be superseded by rulings from some faceless, possibly non-American, corporate lackey, they sometimes experience anxiety.

• Reply 33 of 49
    What's up with you fellows?

ITU is a part of UN an they have set international standards for telecoms for longer than most of your lives! And it has worked perfect. Now some companies who regularly participate in setting standards starts to attack each other even thou they committed to not doing it when voting for the very same standards. Thus this initiative by UN.

No, UN has no jurisdiction in US. Also US has no jurisdiction outside US either. So, for telecommunications to work across the globe and not only in Texas, ITU is the place where standards has been decided for a long time. All biggies thru the years has been part of it Bell Laps, Motorola, Ericsson, Lucent, Cisco, Nokia, NTT, Mitsubischi and many more. Simply makes it possible to place a call from NY to Stockholm. But it also makes it possible to sell the same products across the globe. A win for the human kind and for participating companies.

The FRAND way of working is from this ITU world and it has worked fine. When it seem to stop working it's about time they discuss what should be done.

This is not only a matter for American courts.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    btechiebtechie Posts: 1member

The article incorrectly cites that it is a Qualcomm GSM chip. Motorola only went all claims before iphone 4S (not including Verizon iPhone). So it was an Infineon chip.

• Reply 35 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I love standards; there are so many to choose from.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Hopefully US judges like Posner could also push for a cleanup of the US mess over patents.

It's about time that out-of-touch 70+ year old idiot Posner retired or croaked it IMO.

• Reply 37 of 49
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

The UN can jog on as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Precisely.

• Reply 38 of 49
    nicwalmsleynicwalmsley Posts: 117member

http://www.everythingisaremix.info/

No one should claim to own their invention 100%. Where is the recognition of the help society gave you. Nor should it be a super long term thing. 5, 10 years is a long time today.

But direct copying, plagiarism, misleading trading, that's wrong too.

• Reply 39 of 49

The UN DOES have jurisdiction in the EU. Typical ignorant American thinking they're the only country in the world.

Quote:

The UN has no jurisdiction over these issues whatsoever. Last time I checked, the US is a sovereign nation. Who the hell do they think they are?

• Reply 40 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    pragmatous wrote: »
    The UN DOES have jurisdiction in the EU. Typical ignorant American thinking they're the only country in the world.

I don't see where he said that. Care to point it out?