Samsung sold 6.5M Galaxy S III smartphones in Q2 2012, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 141 of 213
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

I think it is selling better than people here would like to believe. The phone certainly isn't being given away either, prices are quite high.

I personally know of a couple of people who have upgraded from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S III and are very happy. I've spent a little time with it, it's nice but too big IMO.

I'm sorry, but when you used the word "upgraded" you came across as paid to write something here...

This would be some clever PR… "l know a couple of people who have "upgraded" (implies it's a step up)… they are very happy (says it's a very satisfactory product). I spent time with it (it was good enough to consider)... it's nice (worth having)… it's too big for me (whatever, that's a prerequisite disclaimer… makes it look like you're not personally vested… but the job is done, "consideration" seeds planted). 

That is what we in the marketing world call a "word of mouth recommendation", one of the single most effective forms of advertising… "Although it's not for me, my FRIENDS say it's great…" is exactly that...

• Reply 142 of 213
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest View Post

I actually just switched from my iPhone 3G (have to give it credit for holding up for four years) to a GS3.  Sorry, but the Apple ecosystem just didn't appeal to me anymore.  Plus, I just couldn't live with a 3.5" screen.  Competition is good and if Apple steps up its game I'll consider switching back in a couple of years.

Interesting… a product like this (a mobile electronics product) "holds up" for FOUR YEARS and you switch away from that brand? Why would you ever do that? Because of a .5" screen size difference?

And what is it about the "Apple ecosystem" that stopped appealing to you (meaning, it appealed before but doesn't anymore…)? Was it the addition of iCloud? The well-established application market? The feature sets of iOS 5 and (soon-to-be-released) 6?

Going from a 3G to a 4S is a pretty substantial upgrade… everything. Retina display, cameras, memory, speed, Siri, and so on… I don't know what they haven't "stepped up" with in their 'game'...

Finally, you "just switched" and did so with a next-gen iPhone in the pipeline (close enough that sales are already dropping in the channel)? "Maybe" you'll go back in a couple of years? 

And you come HERE to tell us about this?

Really, you write as if you're disappointed with Apple… after using an iPhone that held up for four years… 

Either not too clever, or paid to be here...

• Reply 143 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Interesting… a product like this (a mobile electronics product) "holds up" for FOUR YEARS and you switch away from that brand? Why would you ever do that? Because of a .5" screen size difference?

And what is it about the "Apple ecosystem" that stopped appealing to you (meaning, it appealed before but doesn't anymore…)? Was it the addition of iCloud? The well-established application market? The feature sets of iOS 5 and (soon-to-be-released) 6?

Going from a 3G to a 4S is a pretty substantial upgrade… everything. Retina display, cameras, memory, speed, Siri, and so on… I don't know what they haven't "stepped up" with in their 'game'...

Finally, you "just switched" and did so with a next-gen iPhone in the pipeline (close enough that sales are already dropping in the channel)? "Maybe" you'll go back in a couple of years? 

And you come HERE to tell us about this?

Really, you write as if you're disappointed with Apple… after using an iPhone that held up for four years… 

Either not too clever, or paid to be here...

Or just plain lying.

gatorguy wrote: »
    The International version uses quad-core processors. Unfortunately those processors are not yet compatible with the US's LTE networks. Compatible processors should be available later this year. To be able to take advantage of our 4G networks they had to use dual-core Snapdragon's here. 

This is hilarious. So there's no fragmentation. Except the Galaxy SIII which is quad core in International versions and dual core in the US. But at some time in the near future, the US version will have quad cores. /s
  • Reply 144 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,249member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Except the Galaxy SIII which is quad core in International versions and dual core in the US. But at some time in the near future, the US version will have quad cores. /s

Doubtful. I think the US version of the S3 will always use the dual-core Snapdragon. Samsung has actually done a pretty good job resisting the telcos typical pressure for "special" versions with "special" features on the S3. It appears they're now big enough and have enough influence to call their own shots for the most part. That's an area that Apple's excels in.

• Reply 145 of 213
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...and love TouchWiz, apparently.

And if you do not, unlike Apple, it can be quickly and easily changed.  I hate Touch Wiz and use ADW Launcher.  Heck if I have an Samsung phone but love the HTC Sense launcher, I can get it and HTC does not try and sue me.

• Reply 146 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

That's just it... there are no Samsung numbers... all we have are 3rd party analysts.

Are all the analysts pumping up their numbers from their surveys and channel checks?

You also have Samsung's massive quarterly profits.  I am willing to bet that money was not given too them, the actually sold stuff or you can believe they built 6.5 million phones and stashed them in a warehouse somewhere and called them sold because they "shipped" them.  Sure, that theory works too.

• Reply 147 of 213
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    All Apple forums have been invaded by Android shills. It's no fun anymore. What are they even doing here? I'm signing out forever. Which is just what they want. But whatever. Please close these forums.

It used to be a place where we got together having fun talking about Apple, and Apple stuff. Talking about our favorite company who makes great stuff for us and lots of people around the world. And also being critical of Apple, but because as Apple fans we care. Now the only thing there is left on these forums is constantly having to defend Apple to who? Android shills? Who cares? They only want to brag about how Apple's butt is being kicked. Ignoring that as a single brand, Apple is doing just fine. iOS platform (iPod touch, iPhone, iPad) is doing just fine, year over year. If you like Android, fine. If you love that Android market share is getting bigger. Fine. Don't go to Apple forums, go to Android forums to rejoice.

Why does Apple has to lose for Android to win? But that's the attitude. They call Apple fans ignorant and conceited. Look into the mirror, I'd say. Apple is doing fine. I still think iPhone is a wonderful product that captures the hearts of many people, because of Apple's commitment to detail and experience. And we have the right as Apple fans to express our belief that we think Apple products are great. These are our boards, despite the web being open.

AppleInsider has to stop posting topics about other companies. It is polluting the Apple community. I'm out. First it was Microsoft shills, now Android shills. Funny that I'm now loving Microsoft and MS fans more than Android fans. Who would have thought?
  • Reply 148 of 213
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mostcallmerob View Post

You shun the success of a competitor company to defend your Apple fanboy cockiness. The Samsung S3 is a great phone and is selling very well, leave it at that. It is an Apple competitor, but not on the scale that Apple sells the iPhone. It cannot go head to head with them, but will certainly take away people from the aging iPhone. 

I would not cal it an Apple competitor.  My guess is that they will take sales from other Android phone makers and not from Apple.  The bleed is to iPhones, not the other way around in my opinion.

• Reply 149 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F. View Post

All Apple forums have been invaded by Android shills. It's no fun anymore. What are they even doing here? I'm signing out forever. Which is just what they want. But whatever. Please close these forums.

It used to be a place where we got together having fun talking about Apple, and Apple stuff. Talking about our favorite company who makes great stuff for us and lots of people around the world. And also being critical of Apple, but because as Apple fans we care. Now the only thing there is left on these forums is constantly having to defend Apple to who? Android shills? Who cares? They only want to brag about how Apple's butt is being kicked. Ignoring that as a single brand, Apple is doing just fine. iOS platform (iPod touch, iPhone, iPad) is doing just fine, year over year. If you like Android, fine. If you love that Android market share is getting bigger. Fine. Don't go to Apple forums, go to Android forums to rejoice.

Why does Apple has to lose for Android to win? But that's the attitude. They call Apple fans ignorant and conceited. Look into the mirror, I'd say. Apple is doing fine. I still think iPhone is a wonderful product that captures the hearts of many people, because of Apple's commitment to detail and experience. And we have the right as Apple fans to express our belief that we think Apple products are great. These are our boards, despite the web being open.

AppleInsider has to stop posting topics about other companies. It is polluting the Apple community. I'm out. First it was Microsoft shills, now Android shills. Funny that I'm now loving Microsoft and MS fans more than Android fans. Who would have thought?

It is a two way street. Some are trolling android forums to comment against android. Others are coming into apple insider to do the same. Well, we don't know who started it. But why don't people enjoy their own devices and stop name calling and marketing like they are brand ambassadors.

• Reply 150 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cnraghu wrote: »
    It is a two way street. Some are trolling android forums to comment against android.

No, I've never see that. Could you provide some links?
  • Reply 151 of 213

JP Morgan? Pffftttt. Why would I believe an analyst from a company that just "lost" another 4.4 Billion dollars? Yeah, sure. These guys know what they are talking about....

• Reply 152 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F. View Post

All Apple forums have been invaded by Android shills. It's no fun anymore. What are they even doing here? I'm signing out forever.

See ya, its called the real world and in the real world people have opinions other than yours.  Many come here because they own Apple products but refuse to take two knees and drink from the fountain.

• Reply 153 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrfu31 View Post

JP Morgan? Pffftttt. Why would I believe an analyst from a company that just "lost" another 4.4 Billion dollars? Yeah, sure. These guys know what they are talking about....

HaHaHa, clueless much?

• Reply 154 of 213
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

don't you understand that Apple fanatics only think that Apple is the only company that tell the truth while the other are just cheaters? They just cannot take it that the galaxy S3 is successful and actually way superior than the iphone 4s 

but it isn't.. UI is slower and clunkier, apps have less quality, especially demanding ones and everything is slower (besides network) or as fast as the iPhone.

it also is ugly (but that's relative) with a real dark screen (the htc one is so much better). it also is and feels "cheaper".

It is good, but far from iPhone good. and the iPhone is 8 months old.

But if for some reason you want a big screen and huge phone, it is a better choice than an iPhone, if you are blind and cannot see how great the htc one is.

• Reply 155 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

but it isn't.. UI is slower and clunkier, apps have less quality, especially demanding ones and everything is slower (besides network) or as fast as the iPhone.

it also is ugly (but that's relative) with a real dark screen (the htc one is so much better). it also is and feels "cheaper".

It is good, but far from iPhone good. and the iPhone is 8 months old.

But if for some reason you want a big screen and huge phone, it is a better choice than an iPhone, if you are blind and cannot see how great the htc one is.

But these statements are just not true.  I own a GSII LTE and it runs flawless and very smooth, period.  The problem here is many people make claims as you did and never actually used the phone for real.  Picking it up in a store or grabbing a friends does not constitute use.  My iPad gets sluggish all the time and needs a reboot, for me to hand it off to someone and they use it in that state is unfair.  I have used my S2 for 9 months with no issues and love it.  To say apps are less quality is another FUD, not true.  Are there instances, sure, goes both ways, I have apps on my S2 that are far better than on my iPad, example..... Any Google product, no duh but true.  I pick up my wifes iPhone4 and it kills me, I do not care how may pixles her little screen uses, it is a bear to use compared to my phone.  And apparently I have man hands because I have no issues using my phone with one hand.

• Reply 156 of 213
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

But these statements are just not true.  I own a GSII LTE and it runs flawless and very smooth, period.  The problem here is many people make claims as you did and never actually used the phone for real.  Picking it up in a store or grabbing a friends does not constitute use.  My iPad gets sluggish all the time and needs a reboot, for me to hand it off to someone and they use it in that state is unfair.  I have used my S2 for 9 months with no issues and love it.  To say apps are less quality is another FUD, not true.  Are there instances, sure, goes both ways, I have apps on my S2 that are far better than on my iPad, example..... Any Google product, no duh but true.  I pick up my wifes iPhone4 and it kills me, I do not care how may pixles her little screen uses, it is a bear to use compared to my phone.  And apparently I have man hands because I have no issues using my phone with one hand.

it does not run flawless and very smooth. it can not run as smooth as iOS, it just CAN't, literally. It wasn't made for that, it CAN'T do that. that's why jelly bean is already out there and jelly bean's goal is to eliminate the overall clunkiness and lag. If you understand something about android and how it really works and if you have real usage experience with it (like i do), you wouldn't even try to say that. it isn't as smooth as iOS (it can be smooth with overpowered hardware, but it can't be AS SMOOTH AS iOS. period).

Not all apps have less quality (usually the most vulgar ones are copies) but the most complex and demanding ones (when available for android)? YES. your blind fanboyism and lack of decent neural activity does not make that less true. try and open the same thing (vulgar apps, besides Facebook with their problems) on a galaxy s3 and an iPhone 4 (single core..) and you will get a nice surprise.

The s2 is "lesser" phone than the iPhone 4 in pretty much every department. the same applies with the next generation of both devices. (i'm not even mention upgrades, good luck with having jelly bean when it was announced).

• Reply 157 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    john f. wrote: »
    All Apple forums have been invaded by Android shills.

Unfortunately, that has always been the case. Fifteen years ago, it was Windows shills. Later, it was RealAudio shills. Now it's Android shills. If Apple really does release an HDTV, it will be Sony shills.

Again, I have to wonder about the mental stability of people who do that. I can certainly understand people who like a product and want to talk about it and who go to a forum like this one to share stories. I can also understand someone who likes a product enough that they go to a forum to pick up rumors on what future versions are like. Those are both normal behaviors.

What I can't understand is people who don't use a product and are product to announce that they wouldn't be caught dead using a product who then go to a forum about that product and spread incessant lies and FUD. I can't think of any rational reason to do so and have therefore concluded that it's some type of mental illness. Possibly narcissistic personality disorder or the related histrionic personality disorder. They should really seek medical attention.
  • Reply 158 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it does not run flawless and very smooth. it can not run as smooth as iOS, it just CAN't, literally. It wasn't made for that, it CAN'T do that. that's why jelly bean is already out there and jelly bean's goal is to eliminate the overall clunkiness and lag. If you understand something about android and how it really works and if you have real usage experience with it (like i do), you wouldn't even try to say that. it isn't as smooth as iOS (it can be smooth with overpowered hardware, but it can't be AS SMOOTH AS iOS. period).

Not all apps have less quality (usually the most vulgar ones are copies) but the most complex and demanding ones (when available for android)? YES. your blind fanboyism and lack of decent neural activity does not make that less true. try and open the same thing (vulgar apps, besides Facebook with their problems) on a galaxy s3 and an iPhone 4 (single core..) and you will get a nice surprise.

The s2 is "lesser" phone than the iPhone 4 in pretty much every department. the same applies with the next generation of both devices. (i'm not even mention upgrades, good luck with having jelly bean when it was announced).

Based on my ACTUAL use, you are plain wrong.  Step out of the basement, stop reading year old reviews and try something other than an Apple product and you may be shocked.  My wife has an iPhone 4, I have a GS2 LTE and my GS2 crushes it in every angle, screen, use, keyboard whatever, my phone is better, end of story.  This is my opinion based on actually, long term use not someone elses opinion I read or a friend of a friends phone quick use. I own the products I am basing my opinion on.  And apparently, 6.5 million people feel the same way because they purchased a GS3 over an Apple product.  Not because some slick carrier salesman tricked them, or they are uninformed or whatever other reason the shills dream up but because they like it, they wanted it and they bought it and it costs $49 more dollars than a base iPhone so cheap does not factor in.

• Reply 159 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I've never see that. Could you provide some links?

I am happy you say that. This means you have never trolled on android forum. This is good.

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/13/samsung-opens-up-first-retail-store-in-canada-apples-not-gonna-like-this-video/

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-opens-stand-alone-retail-store-vancouver-north-america-100863/

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/128575-galaxy-s3-did-samsung-just-out-iphone-apple

Well this is just a sample from today. I have both iOS and android products and I like both variations for their own benefits. I am regularly on both apple and android forums. I see this trolls both ways. So we will have to live with it.

• Reply 160 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cnraghu wrote: »
    I am happy you say that. This means you have never trolled on android forum. This is good.

"Do unto others," you know.

Ugh, okay, anything that ISN'T based in Disqus? I have that blocked. :lol: Man, that Samsung store, though…