Apple to release Mountain Lion Wednesday on Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    sipsip Posts: 210member

Quote:

"We've also just updated the entire MacBook line, will release Mountain Lion tomorrow and will be launching iOS 6 this Fall," Cook said. "We are also really looking forward to the amazing new products we've got in the pipeline."

Haven't we heard this "amazing new products" song a few times already? As far as I can tell, the only really "new product" coming out of Apple in the last year is the new Retina Macbook. All the others were just improvements to existing products.

• Reply 42 of 96

I'm getting in line for it right NOW!

• Reply 43 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redtwister View Post

I'm getting in line for it right NOW!

When you tell me how to get in line for a digital product, you let me know. There are no physical copies of Mountain Lion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

And it took me forever to get used to the new scrolling (many years of conditioning to overcome.)

You can turn that off. It's the first thing I did when I installed Lion DP 1 and the first thing I did when I installed Mountain Lion DP 1.

• Reply 44 of 96
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Again, I disagree. Lion has been bad for me. It hasn't crashed as much LATELY, but apps need a Force Quit far too often. It does not always restart, which I have to do when I force quit some apps, because when I try to restart them, it will say it is already running. I have to hold the Power Button in to have it shutdown and then press it again to restart.

I've used Disk Utility, etc.

I JUST downloaded Lion from the App Store and reinstalled it. Maybe that's what I needed.

But, I'm NOT the only one (there have been MANY complaints, and yes, even by people on here who are regarded as computer savvy) that Lion is not as stable as the wonderful Snow Leopard was.

I like the updates to the features in Lion, and will enjoy the newer ones in Mountain Lion, but will NOT enjoy Mountain Lion as much if it is not as stable as Snow Leopard was, at least after 10.8.2 or so for ML.
  • Reply 45 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When you tell me how to get in line for a digital product, you let me know. There are no physical copies of Mountain Lion.

Right around the block to the line for sarcasm.

• Reply 46 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redtwister View Post

Right around the block to the line for sarcasm.

That's not what sarcasm is.

• Reply 47 of 96
    kalltkallt Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

And it took me forever to get used to the new scrolling (many years of conditioning to overcome.)

Come on, it only takes a few minutes to get used to it, with incidental mistakes. I wanted to turn it off when I upgraded after initial concerns, but when I noticed that it’s the same thing on my iPhone, I just left it on default. Of course it feels a bit strange at first, but nothing you cannot overcome in a short time. I notice this when I occasionally sit behind friends’ computers that don’t have this, and even there I switch back quite easily, after making a few mistakes. Which way you prefer depends on several reasons, but I think that the learning curve is not really one of them.

• Reply 48 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by KALLT View Post

Of course it feels a bit strange at first…

Because it's wrong… The iPhone way works with direct contact. You don't have that in OS X, so it's just backward.

• Reply 49 of 96
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member

Yes.  Was wondering about that, but since I mostly DL music, I wasn't worrying too much about it...

• Reply 50 of 96
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

For me ML is noticeably faster than Lion. I finally feel what I felt with SL again.

I love the new dock.

There is no easy way to do a clean install though, but apparently it's just a myth and it will run very well even without it.

• Reply 51 of 96
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

I have a new retina display MacBook and am living in the future (it is already Wednesday afternoon here) — and I am wondering if and when I will get the promised free upgrade. Nothing has appeared in the app store as yet — and I am wondering if it will instead come in the software update panel. 

• Reply 52 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I have a new retina display MacBook and am living in the future (it is already Wednesday afternoon here) — and I am wondering if and when I will get the promised free upgrade. Nothing has appeared in the app store as yet — and I am wondering if it will instead come in the software update panel. 

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/
  • Reply 53 of 96
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

sflocal, I asked how it runs compared to Lion and so far I've heard nothing but positive results.

Personally I'm so sick of the sluggish crash happy Lion this may be the first time I install an OS before a .1 update.  With that said I'm going to wait a few days just to make sure nothing blows-up with VMware etc..  If there are no improvements in ML Server I'll be downgrading my mini back to Snow Leopard.  I spend more time trying to figure out how to fix things than anything else....

There are some things I dislike about Lion, but it has never crashed on me. 

• Reply 54 of 96
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

You can turn that off. It's the first thing I did when I installed Lion DP 1 and the first thing I did when I installed Mountain Lion DP 1.

I figured that someday the option would disappear, so I decided to go cold turkey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KALLT View Post

Come on, it only takes a few minutes to get used to it, with incidental mistakes. I wanted to turn it off when I upgraded after initial concerns, but when I noticed that it’s the same thing on my iPhone, I just left it on default. Of course it feels a bit strange at first, but nothing you cannot overcome in a short time. I notice this when I occasionally sit behind friends’ computers that don’t have this, and even there I switch back quite easily, after making a few mistakes. Which way you prefer depends on several reasons, but I think that the learning curve is not really one of them.

I updated to Lion before I had an iDevice.

I imagine it depends on how your brain works. I have a very visual and body memory oriented brain. It's easy to underestimate the effects of 27 years of conditioning (using the Mac interface.)

If you have a similar cognitive constitution, try rearranging the contents of the drawers in your kitchen to see what I mean. :-)

If you have more of a text/symbolic oriented brain (neuro-normal,) you will never understand *us* (neuro-extranormals.)

• Reply 55 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Oh my God! Does that mean this our future then?

Does anyone have a goat I can "borrow?"

• Reply 56 of 96
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Hopefully Safari works better. I have found Safari to be incredibly slow with the spinning beach ball and constant "The web page is frozen, click here to reload all your pages, including 3 open youtube videos and other websites where you have to log back in" errors. 

It's still better than FireFox, and Google Chrome I have not been impressed with for the Mac (it reminds me of IE for Windows)

My biggest complaint with Safari is it is the only browser that doesn't let users put the tabs on top. Tabs on top are better because it looks neater and takes up less space. Apple made a mistake taking that option away. 

• Reply 57 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Tabs on top are better because it looks neater and takes up less space. Apple made a mistake taking that option away. 

I think it looks pretty terrible. And how do you move the window with them like that?

I also hate Safari 6's tabs… You'll see.

• Reply 58 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There are some things I dislike about Lion, but it has never crashed on me. 

I've not had crash problems with Lion crashing, but I've had a lot of problems with iOS. Especially these last few updates and especially with Safari and the new podcast app (but everything has been more sluggish and crashy for the last several updates.

• Reply 59 of 96
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

thanks for this.

• Reply 60 of 96

Quote:

I think it looks pretty terrible. And how do you move the window with them like that?

I also hate Safari 6's tabs… You'll see.

Agree.

I didn't care for it at first, but it has grown on my and I see the superior logic of the way Apple did it.