Apple Genius ads debut during Olympic opening ceremonies

Comments

• Reply 241 of 322
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [QUOTE=mstone]I was reading the One on One training support page which states that the service is available only when you purchase a new Mac. The annual fee is $99. I wonder how long after you buy your Mac can you later upgrade to One on One or is it only at the exact time of purchase?[/QUOTE]

You have 14 days. It's in the terms and conditions.

Apple also offers a lot of free workshops. The One-to-One is just, well for one-on-one training. I assume most don't use the service or Apple is taking a hit on this because there is no way $99 for a year will cover more than a few hours per year or assistance.

edit: I see the One-to-One also gives users free migration from their old PC to their Mac (or old Mac to their new Mac). Wasn't this a free service before? I'm wondering if their Mac sales are high enough now they no longer have to offer that service and instead can sell that service and after that it's unlikely most won't schedule any other One-to-One services.
  • Reply 242 of 322
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member

Apple will, and Steve Jobs Would've been thrilled with the amount of interest these ad's have generated.

On a side note I can understand the frustrations of many posters here. . .

I dislike IKEA furniture I won't buy any !

I have decided to find an IKEA centric forum, and spend the rest of today getting more and more irate with strangers that are discussing IKEA items.

Hell, I'm young, what else am I to do with my time???

• Reply 243 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

My question to her would be this 'what does it say about you are your fanatical hatred that you won't consider buying from a company that has solid hardware, good software, the ability to run two OS systems if you like, stores everywhere for tech support, telephone support, even training programs, all because some of the fans get a bit over the top on the blogs and such. '

Her answer could be that she's like 90% of the people who buy computers.

• Reply 244 of 322
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Those Ads are terrible. Apple needs another visionary. Tim should stick to being the operations guy. 

• Reply 245 of 322
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Those Ads are terrible. Apple needs another visionary. Tim should stick to being the operations guy. 

Since you obviously have proof that Tim Cook decided to personally design, create, and oversee these ads, why not post it?

Probably because you have no idea what you're saying.

• Reply 246 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Think of the Samsung ads that just tried to make people feel bad about liking their Apple products. They were basically saying that if you are excited about a new iPhone you're a pathetic asshole. That doesn't work on consumers unless they have very low self esteem.

No, the Samsung ads said that if you wait in line to buy a telephone with ketchup features - then you are a pathehtic asshole.

The ads are effective because they reinforce what people already think about AppleFans.  People who wait in long lines to buy a telephone are not normal.  They are a small portion of Apple customers, who are a small portion of cellphone buyers.  They are not regular people.  They are bizarre, and the ads point out that a certain company has bizarre customers.

• Reply 247 of 322
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    adonissmu wrote: »

Having a genius visionary on your team is like winning the lottery. You can't expect do it every year. Apple no longer has a Steve, so they will have to rely on a bunch smart people who were taught by Steve. They may not be geniuses but they occasionally get some wood on the ball.
  • Reply 248 of 322
    Yeah... Long time Apple fan and Steve confidant -- with 8 posts on AI -- is going to share with us what Steve would've done.
    These trolls are dumb! Definitely not up to Applle-haters usual standards.

Wow, 6,000+ post Dick... You must be Apple's biggest fan. What a douche. Shooting your mouth off, immediately calling me a Troll... for what reason? Because I didn't like their new, in my opinion, dumb commercials. No wonder non-Apple users think we're all elitists!

And I think the "what would Steve have done" question is a very valid point of concern. I think we can all agree that Apple became Apple because of Steve's vision... but then again wait; I don't have 6,000+ posts and didn't have tea on Sundays with Steve so maybe I should just shut the hell up. Steve may have wanted Apple to not ask what he would have done, but I'm pretty damn sure he wouldn't want to see Apple drive over a cliff due to lack of vision. I'm not suggesting these commercials are a big point of concern, just struck me as out of the norm... Not up to Apple's usual standard of quality. Campy, no clear message, not something I'd watch more than once, didn't make me laugh or inspired to buy a Mac... Just not Apple's usual emotional and inspiring or funny type of ad.

As far as your Troll comment Dick;

How about having been an Apple fan for several years (being non-specific because I'm sure my # of years of Apple fandom don't measure up to your superior # of years loving Apple), running an entire company off Macs, having purchased over 50 Apple computer / iOS devices in two years alone and the list goes on.

Troll... If I'm a Troll, then you're the typical "fanboy" or elitist jerk that does more to harm Apple than me personally not liking their new commercials.

6,000+ posts and bragging about it... Get a life and/or a job looser!
  • Reply 249 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A long time friend of mine recently dropped her aging Windows laptop and now it is starting to act up. She told me she thought it might be time to buy a new one. Since she considers me an expert on the subject she asked my advice. Knowing that she's a long time Windows user which is the standard in her scientific field that being the nuclear power industry, I said she should consider getting a Mac since it can run Windows as well as OS X.

Her response: "I'm not buying a Mac. Those Mac people are like a cult.

I think Apple needs to create an ad that dispels this commonly held belief.

Even if it is true.

Here's your "cult", let's ask them:

• Reply 250 of 322
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    No, the Samsung ads said that if you wait in line to buy a telephone with ketchup features - then you are a pathehtic asshole.

The ads are effective because they reinforce what people already think about AppleFans.  People who wait in long lines to buy a telephone are not normal.  They are a small portion of Apple customers, who are a small portion of cellphone buyers.  They are not regular people.  They are bizarre, and the ads point out that a certain company has bizarre customers.

~ Look at all these pathetic assholes! ~

I guess none of these people are normal.
  • Reply 251 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Her answer could be that she's like 90% of the people who buy computers.

In other words, corporate IT and their "nobody ever got fired buying Windows" philosophy.

• Reply 252 of 322
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

If he's not outright banned…

• Reply 253 of 322
    ryanpartin wrote: »
    Steve may have wanted Apple to not ask what he would have done, but I'm pretty damn sure he wouldn't want to see Apple drive over a cliff due to lack of vision. I'm not suggesting these commercials are a big point of concern, just struck me as out of the norm... Not up to Apple's usual standard of quality. Campy, no clear message, not something I'd watch more than once, didn't make me laugh or inspired to buy a Mac... Just not Apple's usual emotional and inspiring or funny type of ad.

I think the vision is to appeal to the non-elitist.

Apple user != BMW driver

In the past the ads had been mostly preaching to the choir. Perhaps Steve was a bit too sensitive about portraying Apple hardware as in a league of their own. The reality is that there are several worthy competitors so just showing a shiny thin laptop does not sufficiently differenciate them where service after the sale could be a potentially huge selling point to the average non-tech consumer. I believe their recent effort to expand the Genius bar along with these ads is evidence that they are emphasizing the quality of their support services not just the hardware.
  • Reply 254 of 322
    Here's your "cult", let's ask them:

Haha! That is an old photo. By now those people have graduated and many are likely being forced to use Windows in their corporate job.

I was not going to argue with my friend so once she express such a negative opinion of Mac users, I offered her my best second choices for a Windows notebook. There was no hatred in her remarks just fear of the unknown and avoidance of criticism from her peers.
  • Reply 255 of 322
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

You're just jealous. If there were people standing in line to buy an Android phone, you'd be the first to parade it to the world.

What's bizarre is the number of people like you who don't use Apple products, refuse to even consider using Apple products and brag about not using Apple products - and then spend a ton of time on Apple forums whining about Apple products.
  • Reply 256 of 322
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    All Apple needed to do was show an athlete training for the Olympics using his/her iPhone, iPad and Mac together and beaming their performance up to a flat screen using their ATV- no dialogue needed. Enuff said.
    But what do we get? a cheesy Capital One/ Dunkin Donut style ad.
    Blech and yuck.
  • Reply 257 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A long time friend of mine recently dropped her aging Windows laptop and now it is starting to act up. She told me she thought it might be time to buy a new one. Since she considers me an expert on the subject she asked my advice. Knowing that she's a long time Windows user which is the standard in her scientific field that being the nuclear power industry, I said she should consider getting a Mac since it can run Windows as well as OS X.

Her response: "I'm not buying a Mac. Those Mac people are like a cult.

I think Apple needs to create an ad that dispels this commonly held belief.

Even if it is true.

That would be an interesting challenge -- dispel the cult image and replace it with a "group of satisfied computer users".

As to your friend -- I wasn't there and I don't know the vibes...

Faced with a similar situation I might have:

1) Responded: you aren't buying "Mac People" or a cult... you are buying a tool for your work and your personal use -- it would make sense to examine all the tools available and pick the one that best suits your needs... You may not select a Mac, but at least you'll be rejecting it for the right reasons.

2) Offered to accompany her to a BestBuy where they sell/showcase PCs and Macs equally poorly.  Explain to her that to many a Mac is just another PC.

3) If you can. let her see and try Windows (and her apps and data) running on a Mac (yours or the stores)

Assure her that people who run Windows on their Macs are the farthest thing possible from a cult -- they're just doin' what they have to do to get the job done.

Seriously, when we had the stores it was either / or -- Mac or PC -- no emulation.  But, often the way to get someone to buy a Mac was to let her do some familiar stuff (Word, Excel) on the Mac... and let her break town the barriers, herself.

• Reply 258 of 322
    isheldon wrote: »
    All Apple needed to do was show an athlete training for the Olympics using his/her iPhone, iPad and Mac together and beaming their performance up to a flat screen using their ATV- no dialogue needed. Enuff said.
    But what do we get? a cheesy Capital One/ Dunkin Donut style ad.
    Blech and yuck.

No I think you got it right the first time. What is so surprising about an elitist Olympic athlete using elitist hardware in a complex integrated ecosystem? People who identify with that scene already own multiple Apple products. The largest demographic for expanding their market share are the people who don't particularly get the digital lifestyle but want to figure out how to use some of the common consumer oriented features and specifically those features unique to Macs. I have been using Macs for years but I have never used iMovie or made a greeting card or a coffe table book. The people who want to do those kinds of things are who these ads are targeting.
  • Reply 259 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Elite athletes using elitist smartphones- absolutely amazing. What's stupid is being surprised by that.

Back to topic- those Apple ads are terrible.

Maybe you like them because they appeal to you? Do you depend on a Genius much?

You really do understand advertising:  composing a concept message, then selling that concept to a disinterested or reluctant target audience...

You come to an Apple forum, obviously wet behind the ears with an agenda (based by the number and content of your posts), make emperically false assertions, ignore suggestions to improve, challenge reasoned posts... then insult long-time, proven forum members...

KaChing!  I'm sold.  Your well thought out and presented ad campaign certainly convinced me!

• Reply 260 of 322

its obvious steve jobs isn't around anymore, because these commercials suck.