Photos of alleged fully-assembled next-gen iPhone surface

Comments

• Reply 161 of 318
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Consistency it IS what is called.

Look at Porsche, is there a need to screw that?

Remember how Apple often look at European car manufacturers for influence?

Less sophisticate people hate apple for its consistent approach to design.

The car analogy is a good one. If I'm not mistaken, Jobs has referred to it before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The iMac design hasn't changed for the past 5 years. The MBP hasn't changed for the past 4 years and hasn't changed that much for the past 11 years. The floppy, CD, retina display are internal changes. They're not design changes which is what I was talking about. Gone are the days when Apple had radical new designs every few years like the colour iMac, the Mac Cube, iMac Sunflower. Now it the same design year after year.

I don't understand why you look at external design and use that alone to call Apple a company that resists changes, and just dismiss the internal changes which are in fact more important technology changes.  Basically, you're cherrypicking to support a false premise.

Let's look at external design changes:

- The color iMac G3 was introduced in 1998.

- The flower pot iMac G4 was introduced in 2002.  What's important about that wasn't the flower pot design. Instead, it was the adoption of the flat panel display.

- Then came iMac G5 in 2004. This was indeed a rapid rev from G4.  What's important this was that the flat panel was the entire computer.

- The Intel iMac was introduced in 2006. The big deal was Intel Inside. No change externally.

- The aluminum iMac was introduced in 2007. Not a big change in the shape at all, except it was thinner.

- The unibody aluminum iMac came out in 2009.

So really, there have been 5 major designs for the iMac, coming out in 1998, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2009.  If Apple releases the next form factor in 2013, will it really be much slower than their track record?

• Reply 162 of 318
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No the original iPhone wasn't 'only $200" upon release in 2007.

Mine retailed for US $599.99 when I purchased it on 'day one'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It was $399 for 4GB or $599 for 8GB when it first launched.

Well I guess you can see how much attention I pay to price tags. I guess I fail on both accounts too rich and too dumb.

• Reply 163 of 318
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    daharder wrote: »
    It Absolutely Does Not... and by even posting such a thing proves that you've obviously never seen/held a Galaxy SIII.

Anyway... It'd be nice if Apple took a more ergonimically friendly approach to the shape of the 'new iPhone, (much less harsh and flat as Samsung did with the GSIII)...

Maybe something along the lines of this:

Horrible renders, I'd never buy an iPhone that looks plasticky like that. It's too shiny, it lacks equilibrium in its materials, yuck.

And it's too flat.
  • Reply 164 of 318
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Horrible renders, I'd never buy an iPhone that looks plasticky like that. It's too shiny, it lacks equilibrium in its materials, yuck.

Sure... Whatever... Like the current iPhone 4/4s is ANY less 'shiny and lacking equiulibruim in its materials' (WFTH?) - given that its exterior's also made of glass and metal - LOL!

This rendering appears to be little more than a more rounded/ergonimically sound version of the current design with a bit more style.
  • Reply 165 of 318
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

This rendering appears to be little more than a more rounded/ergonimically sound version of the current design with a bit more style.

I was gonna say the same thing. The reflection of the photographer's… the heck is that thing called again? Look at the struts; their reflection is curved.

• Reply 166 of 318
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I don't think I would like a rounded back like that as I tend to set my phone on the desk quite often and that design appears that it would be wobbly and unstable in that situation,

• Reply 167 of 318
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And it's too flat.
    I was gonna say the same thing. The reflection of the photographer's… the heck is that thing called again? Look at the struts; their reflection is curved.

The fact that certain people can look at the iPhone 4/4S and that mockup and consider them exactly the same pretty much tells you everything you need to know about how they see the world aesthetically. It's a condition I'm now calling iProsopagnosia.
  • Reply 168 of 318
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

I wasn't aware that an ostrich will stick its head up its own ass.

It's a shame some of the old guard on here feel the need to resort to simple insults when people don't agree with their perceived wisdom. 

It's the same lack of imagination that many people are accusing Apple of with this proposed new iPhone so in that sense you're well suited.

"He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young."

• Reply 169 of 318
    How to quadruple page view traffic: take existing iPhone rumors, add renderings of the same, and watch the clicks roll in.
  • Reply 170 of 318
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The fact that certain people can look at the iPhone 4/4S and that mockup and consider them exactly the same pretty much tells you everything you need to know about how they see the world aesthetically. It's a condition I'm now calling iProsopagnosia.

Oh Please... Not a single person posted one line about the two being "exactly the same" so take your overblown lies elsewhere and stop trolling.
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    It's a shame some of the old guard on here feel the need to resort to simple insults when people don't agree with their perceived wisdom. 

Actually Shaun... It's just pathetic that he's allowed to behave so ridiculously/disruptively, especially given that he's anything but 'wise'.

Anyway... The rendering I posted would be a very nice evolution of the currnet iPhone 4/4S design themes.
  • Reply 171 of 318
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    "Ironic"

Ironical - of the nature of irony. Not sure the post I quoted is anything but a Poe and certainly lacking the introspection to see irony in his/her/its own posts.
  • Reply 172 of 318
    daharder wrote: »
    Sure... Whatever... Like the current iPhone 4/4s is ANY less 'shiny and lacking equiulibruim in its materials' (WFTH?) - given that its exterior's also made of glass and metal - LOL!

Sorry if I hurt you! I mean it's your right to like it. It's just a fan rendering after all. Still it looks plasticky compared to the iPhone 4. And the metal ridge of the iPhone 4 isn't shiny so it gives equilibrium to the whole imo. Now that I think of it, 3G/GS had a shiny rim, but it somehow looked good on them. I'm just trying to understand why I don't like those renders here! Lol

With all this talking about the next iPhone, I want one!! Even if it doesn't look like that! :P
  • Reply 173 of 318

Get me a new user interface! 

Screen size, this chip, that chip, blah blah blah...

I want a user interface that sets every phone maker back another 3 years as Apple did when they introduced the original iPhone. 

These icons in rows... simply boring at this point. Now you're going to give me a bigger screen so I can fit more grid style icons on one page? 

Give me widgets! Stop making me double click the damn home button to switch apps. Better yet, hold my finger on an app to close them out one by one.

I still say Palm's version of multitasking (although maybe not the best of battery life) was the best example of multitasking and closing apps.

And now that we are on the topic of battery life, holy hell my 4S battery sucks. Have had it switched out twice now from my local Apple store. 

That thing does not hold a charge well.

User interface and battery life. Two unbelievably simple tasks for a company like Apple to tackle. If we don't see something in iOS 7, I truly (and this is very hard to say due to the fact that my life is 110 % invested in the Apple Ecosystem) am going to have to look at a different brand. 

• Reply 174 of 318
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

This 'alleged' new iPhone simply looks like a slightly elongated version of the now 2-year-old iPhone 4/4S with a few tweaks here and there - Which is hardly anyhting remotely ground-breaking/innovative and it's beginning to appear that there's a certain degree of complacency in the Apple design deparment lately.

Time for Apple to start to 'Think Different' again.

Anyway... It'll likely sell well enough (merely because it's an Apple product), but it's becoming pretty obvious that the once creative arm of Apple is (seemingly) coming up very short on interesting ideas as of late (to include iOS 6), while competitors are truly advancing the state of mobile device technology/design.

Come on Cook, Ivy and Company... Surely there are still a few great (design) ideas left in you.

I am confused, why would Apple dramatically alter something selling spectacularly well? Apple is refining and improving an already exceptional product. Most of the improvements will take the form of software. There is also unseen improvements, such as antenna upgrades.  I also am confused as to how Apple's competitors are advancing the state of mobile technology. What is Samsung doing so spectacular other than increasing the screen size and borrowing from Microsoft and adding a stylus. 

• Reply 175 of 318
    tbell wrote: »

I am confused, why would Apple dramatically alter something selling spectacularly well? Apple is refining and improving an already exceptional product. Most of the improvements will take the form of software. There is also unseen improvements, such as antenna upgrades.  I also am confused as to how Apple's competitors are advancing the state of mobile technology. What is Samsung doing so spectacular other than increasing the screen size and borrowing from Microsoft and adding a stylus. 

Antenna upgrades is hardly something that most people will care about.

@TheKid2020
    Yes, I too think that Palm OS had a great intuitive and visually coherent way to treat multitasking.
  • Reply 176 of 318
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tbell wrote: »

That's the thing, he doesn't see anything past some superficial modification. If he can't see it then it doesn't exist so in his mind he doesn't think the iPhone 4S is any different than the iPhone 4 simply because they look the same to him. If you are an OEM struggling to turn a profit and have no history of satisfied customers I can see why one might try to make a flash device to set themselves apart from all other vendors, especially if you use the same OS as everyone else, but sophisticated buyers who care about usability and functionality aren't moved by useless flare or CGI-heavy ads when they make a purchase. Regardless of what Apple brings out we can sure that there will be a mountain of changes because they have done so with every previous iPhone release before it.

He doesn't care about the antenna, except to say how Apple completely failed by making it external despite still use the same external antenna almost 2.5 years later. he doesn't care about the massive improvements to the RAM performance, he'll just say that high-end Android phones have more RAM without acknowledging that OS and apps and need more to do basic functions. The list goes on. The devil is in the details and that's someone Apple has a history of focusing on when making a quality product. There is a reason their products have such an uncommonly high after market value.
  • Reply 177 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I would prefer the current 3.5". Fits in my pockets, and believe a 4" will 'stretch' my pants as my phone always falls 'landscape-wise' It really looks 'long':

The size is a real problem.  The iPhone is the right size for people's pockets, anything bigger is not going to be comfortable in the pocket.

The screen too - Apple chose the 3.5 inch screen for very good and very solid reasons.  this new "widescreen" design won't allow one-handed operation.  Widescreen is good for only one thing, and a smartphone screen ain't it.

• Reply 178 of 318
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

You mean the car that looked pretty much the same since its debut in the late 50's? That what you think Apple should be copying with a radical new design? Even if you account for the modernized version it's still the same basic cues that gives it a distinctive Mini look and feel. No, you're just the standard troll who will ignore all changes and focus on what hasn't changed and then work up reasons as to why the changes made were bad and the changes not made were even worse.

Just to drive home how feeble your comments are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT3 Not just cool, but Sub Zero. At least do a little research before you post.

If you think the Porsche is sub-zero then you're either seriously deluded or having a mid life crisis. Based on your recent comments I suspect the later. As for the Mini you have no idea what's cool and you never will.

Go put your corduroys on grandad and go for a spin in your Porsche. 

• Reply 179 of 318
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    O
    Ahah I love it how so many people say they don't like it.
    I do like it, very much, and hope it's real. I'm the fanboy now.
    Lol at people calling this a photoshop. Photoshop of what? A samsung transformed into an iphone?

One doesn't need a original photo, photohop can create a photo out of nothing.
  • Reply 180 of 318

The size is a real problem.  The iPhone is the right size for people's pockets, anything bigger is not going to be comfortable in the pocket.

The screen too - Apple chose the 3.5 inch screen for very good and very solid reasons.  this new "widescreen" design won't allow one-handed operation.  Widescreen is good for only one thing, and a smartphone screen ain't it.

This is like half a centimeter taller than an iPhone.

Happy 1000th post Shaun!!