Apple Store now carries Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter for newer Thunderbolt-equipped Macs is now available for $29 at Apple's online store.

The new adapter is estimated to ship in one to three business days. It allows users to connect their Thunderbolt-equipped Mac to a FireWire device with the small and compact cable.

The connector provides a FireWire 800 port that supplies up to 7 watts for bus-powered peripherals like hard drives and audio devices. It requires a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac running OS X 10.7.4 or later.

Apple first announced the Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June. It was introduced alongside the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter accessory.

Thunderbolt


The list of available Thunderbolt accessories continues to expand since the high-speed port debuted on Macs in mid 2011. The new cable standard utilizes two separate 10Gbps links — one for displays and one for PCI-Express device traffic —?for throughput of up to 10Gbps between Thunderbolt-capable devices and a compatible Mac.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 47
    I just check the link and the apple.com shows that it's not found. So I guess Apple pulled out after Appleinsider post this article...
  • Reply 2 of 47


    Why did it take so long to make a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter though?

  • Reply 3 of 47
    How about Thunderbolt to USB 3???
  • Reply 4 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,483member
    Why did it take so long to make a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter though?

    I wonder the same thing, all I can think of is maybe there were licensing issues.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    trackertracker Posts: 35member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post



    How about Thunderbolt to USB 3???


     


    They probably want you to buy a new mac with USB 3 already on it but I can see your point for those with TB and usb 2 where such an adapter would come in handy when connected to usb 3 devices.

  • Reply 6 of 47
    How about a FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt Y adapter so I can connect my original 5G iPod and my G4 cube at the same time? SRSLY! Seriously I wouldn't mind being able to burn DVDs on my firewire400 DVD writer. This accessory is the only thing keeping me from ordering a retina MacBook ...
  • Reply 7 of 47
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post



    How about a FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt Y adapter so I can connect my original 5G iPod and my G4 cube at the same time? SRSLY! Seriously I wouldn't mind being able to burn DVDs on my firewire400 DVD writer. This accessory is the only thing keeping me from ordering a retina MacBook ...


    Or an HDV/miniDV video camera.  A lot of people (myself included) have moved on to tapeless recording, but I still have an archive of tapes that I will want to access in the future.  

  • Reply 8 of 47
    How about a FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt Y adapter so I can connect my original 5G iPod and my G4 cube at the same time? SRSLY! Seriously I wouldn't mind being able to burn DVDs on my firewire400 DVD writer. This accessory is the only thing keeping me from ordering a retina MacBook ...

    The RMBP has two Thunderbolt ports, surely you could connect two out of those three. Just need two dongles, problem solved!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member


    How about you guys buy one of the docks available where you get an entire DOCK with a laundry list of ports connected to just one Thunderbolt port: Gigabit Ethernet, FW800 (don't remember if it's a set of two or just one), 4x USB 3.0 (compatible w/ USB 2.0), 1x HDMI, (the Matrox dock has 1x DVI), 1x eSATA, another 1x Thunderbolt port for daisy-chaining, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. There is one dock already out by Matrox, but the really awesome one from Belkin (with the aforementioned specs) is set to be released next month or the month after that! ;-)


     


    I personally got rid of all of my FW800 and eSATA drives, but I do use the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, which I was able to buy on day one and it works great!

  • Reply 10 of 47
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 138member


    How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.

  • Reply 11 of 47
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 446member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post


    How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.



    Maybe so, but the fact remains that up until recently, the only way to get Firewire out of Thunderbolt was to buy a $999 external monitor.  $29 is affordable by everyone and paves the way for the day when Firewire is dropped from all Macs (which may happen sooner than we think...we haven't seen the Ivy Bridge iMacs and Mac Minis yet).

  • Reply 12 of 47
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,571member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post


    How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.



     


    No product's retail price is anywhere near the cost to make it. However, this is an active adapter not passive, so the cost isn't going to be what you think it is. This is basically a single port FireWire expansion card crammed into a little adapter.

  • Reply 13 of 47
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    tailstoo wrote: »
    How about Thunderbolt to USB 3???

    Isn't Ivy Bridge required for USB 3 support?
  • Reply 14 of 47
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member


    Target disk Mode?


    Bootable?

  • Reply 15 of 47
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member


    the adapter is useable on your fw400 & dv cams, need the same cables you always used before when apple went fw800 only. they are $5 on monoprice.com so stop b*tching.

  • Reply 16 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

    Isn't Ivy Bridge required for USB 3 support?


     


    For on-board native support. Not for actually using it.

  • Reply 17 of 47
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member


    I'd  really like a TB to e-SATA adapter.  I setup an OWC QX2 RAID this past weekend and I have it connected w/FW800 at the moment, but e-SATA is even faster and it has that on the box as well.  USB 2 and FW400 are also there, but I'm only looking at the fast thoroughput options :)


     


     


    Some numbers for e-SATA vs FW800 (plus crushing USB2)


     


    http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-Drive-SATA-vs-Firewire.html

  • Reply 18 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post


    Maybe so, but the fact remains that up until recently, the only way to get Firewire out of Thunderbolt was to buy a $999 external monitor.  $29 is affordable by everyone and paves the way for the day when Firewire is dropped from all Macs (which may happen sooner than we think...we haven't seen the Ivy Bridge iMacs and Mac Minis yet).



     


    Not exactly true, guess it depends on what you mean by "recently". Sonnet has had their Thunderbolt to Expresscard 3/4 adapter out since earlier this year. For about $260, you could get FW out of a TB connection with the adapter, the FW Expresscard 3/4 itself, and a couple cables. I actually had this setup until I saw Apple's announcement. It worked ok, but my main motivation was to tether up a medium format digital back to my Macbook Air. It worked some of the time, but the connection would die after some amount of time or # of shots.


     


    Needless to say, I've sold off all that gear and just ordered the new cable, saving me a ton of $$.

  • Reply 19 of 47
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post


    How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.





    Since Apple got you to pay their "standard Apple high margins" on your iPod and iPhone, they probably think you're willing to pay for a $29 adapter, too.

  • Reply 20 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post


    I'd  really like a TB to e-SATA adapter.  I setup an OWC QX2 RAID this past weekend and I have it connected w/FW800 at the moment, but e-SATA is even faster and it has that on the box as well.  USB 2 and FW400 are also there, but I'm only looking at the fast thoroughput options :)


     


     


    Some numbers for e-SATA vs FW800 (plus crushing USB2)


     


    http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-Drive-SATA-vs-Firewire.html



     


    I'd rather just have a native TB interface to the RAID myself. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.