Half of the TV audience mistook Samsung Galaxy Tab for iPad in ads

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Did you mean "men in white coats", or are you talking about the lawyers?

White coats… white coats… Not sure I'm not a little loopy myself. 

• Reply 82 of 162
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    … The Anti-Apple Brigade never quits, does it? Kicking and screaming and clawing at the men in white shirts as they're taken away… [SIZE=8px](ha ha)[/SIZE]

Show me one post of mine that's Anti-Apple. You won't blame people for their stupidity but let Apple lose this case and you'll blame them plenty then.
  • Reply 83 of 162
    As far as I can tell, based on the evidence presented so far, Samsung can not let this case be decided by a jury.

Having said that, we all know Apple will not settle for anything less that the complete destruction of Samsung's android line, because Apple's suit is not about the money, it's about copying and stealing from Apple, to wit; "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

I think Jobs made it clear he wouldn't settle for any amount of money.
  • Reply 84 of 162
    champchamp Posts: 39member

I remember quite few years ago when I was teenager and being all excited about getting a new set of Sony speakers. I went to the store found a really cool looking pair and got back home and set them up and stood back to admire them and it dawned on me that I bought a set of Sanyo speakers. image

• Reply 85 of 162
    As far as I can tell, based on the evidence presented so far, Samsung can not let this case be decided by a jury.
    Having said that, we know Apple will not settle for anything less that the complete destruction of Samsung's android line, because Apple's suit is not about the money, it's because Steve said, "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

Prepare to be disappointed because that's not gonna happen, the devices in question aren't even in the market anymore. Samsung has moved on and doing quite well. They'll be penalized a much smaller amount than Apple has requested.
  • Reply 86 of 162
    champ wrote: »
    <h3>I remember quite few years ago when I was teenager and being all excited about getting a new set of Sony speakers. I went to the store found a really cool looking pair and got back home and set them up and stood back to admire them and it dawned on me that I bought a set of Sanyo speakers. :lol: </h3>

See Tallest a dummy comes forward to prove my point. Sorry chump, I mean Champ. Lol
  • Reply 87 of 162
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Stupid people shouldn't own an iPad anyway.....so no biggie.

• Reply 88 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Prepare to be disappointed because that's not gonna happen, the devices in question aren't even in the market anymore. Samsung has moved on and doing quite well. They'll be penalized a much smaller amount than Apple has requested.

No, that's not how it works, and you know it. For heaven's sake.

• Reply 89 of 162
    No, that's not how it works, and you know it. For heaven's sake.

Don't forget me when that's exactly the outcome.
  • Reply 90 of 162
    champchamp Posts: 39member

Quote:

See Tallest a dummy comes forward to prove my point. Sorry chump, I mean Champ. Lol

The d-bags are out in full force tonight.

• Reply 91 of 162
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"No, these numbers are lies. This didn't happen. I don't care what Samsung themselves are saying; they're lying. No one over two years old could ever possibly confuse a Samsung tablet with an iPad."

Somehow I don't think they were happy about this. Both focused on a product in use for the most part (hopefully we'll never see "smart guy" commercials). If they're associating what they see with an ipad, I can't see this as positive advertising for Samsung. Beyond that I have very little confidence in the intelligence of the general public while they are watching TV. If you've ever observed it, they look like zombies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Having said that, we all know Apple will not settle for anything less that the complete destruction of Samsung's android line, because Apple's suit is not about the money, it's about copying and stealing from Apple, to wit; "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

I think Jobs made it clear he wouldn't settle for any amount of money.

He may have said that, but his shareholders wouldn't have allowed it.

• Reply 92 of 162
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

The money isn't important at all. The decision is.

• Reply 93 of 162
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Lots of people call every mp3 player an iPod. People are dumb. 

• Reply 94 of 162
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

eh? This sounds a bit crazy..  So after $1.1+ billion in marketing between 2008-2010, 35%, or 1/3, of consumers still can't link it back to Apple? 

My dad wouldnt be able to. It's not that crazy. I mean he's vaguely aware, but if asked straight up not sure he'll be able to answer. There's a segment of the population that you will never be able to reach. 70% is pretty damn good with this kind of thing. 

• Reply 95 of 162
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Are you telling me 35% of consumers don't know what an iPad is and who makes it? What dark bottomless cave are these people living in?

25% of Americans don't believe in evolution.  25% believe in astrology.  20% (last checked in 1999) would tell you the sun orbits the earth.  So in my mind, that 35% might be a lowball.  

• Reply 96 of 162
    champ wrote: »
    The d-bags are out in full force tonight.

I was kidding dude. No need to get twisted about it.
  • Reply 97 of 162
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    jpellino wrote: »
    cory bauer wrote: »

<span style="background-color:rgb(242,242,242);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;">Are you telling me 35% of consumers don't know what an iPad is and who makes it? What dark bottomless cave are these people living in?</span>
    25% of Americans don't believe in evolution.  25% believe in astrology.  20% (last checked in 1999) would tell you the sun orbits the earth.  So in my mind, that 35% might be a lowball.  

I don't believe in evolution. I think the evidence for it is overwhelming, but belief plays no part in the scientific process. Sorry - just being pedantic.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ View Post

I remember quite few years ago when I was teenager and being all excited about getting a new set of Sony speakers. I went to the store found a really cool looking pair and got back home and set them up and stood back to admire them and it dawned on me that I bought a set of Sanyo speakers. image

That's nothing - 150,000 people went home thinking they'd bought a car only to find out they were sold a Yugo.  

• Reply 99 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your point being what, that Apple wasn't first and therefore can't patent anything and should lose? News flash: all this crap has been invalidated.

The case is about design patents, about trade dress and customer confusion, and I'm happy that I don't have to decide the case. But I do care a lot about design and industrial innovation.

Form follows function, eventually, and good design teams make that happen real-time. Those employed by Apple have, in addition, created product designs that are extremely desirable.

Anyway, the Knight Ridder design study demonstrates how the design goal "deliver news on an interactive device" independently leads to a device largely similar to a Kindle.

Or an iPad, if you like. A thin slab with rounded corners. Design patents can be a lot harder to defend than utility patents. I'm not concluding anything.

• Reply 100 of 162
    sennen wrote: »
    The money isn't important at all. The decision is.

And what decisions have there been in similar cases throughout the world?