Apple's next iPhone not expected to feature NFC technology

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Okay. I bought the 4s for better camera, faster CPU, and Siri. An iPhone 5 with just a larger screen doesn't offer anything worth upgrading to. Apple's success depends now on innovations that are truly innovative. The iPhone had a several year head start on other vendors so they could, and probably had to, make modest improvements over the years. Now, however, there is real competition for that market, requiring both more rapid innovation while maintaining high quality. It's a big order for Apple, but they have to deliver. 

First of all, not many people who bought an IP4S will even be in the market for the next iPhone. Secondly, as noted before, there's little to no point of adding "features" that don't have real world usefulness just to be able to check a row in a meaningless comparison chart. Lastly, the competition, in reality, in every meaningful way, is still way behind the iPhone, and Apple's strategy of revolutionize, refine, refine, refine, ..., will work just fine to keep them far ahead.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Wish Apple would just go ahead and put NFC on the next iPhone to future proof it. NFC can be used for other than e-wallets..

Future proofing!  Do you know the difference between Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and Future Proofing...

• Reply 23 of 100
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Okay. I bought the 4s for better camera, faster CPU, and Siri. An iPhone 5 with just a larger screen doesn't offer anything worth upgrading to. Apple's success depends now on innovations that are truly innovative. The iPhone had a several year head start on other vendors so they could, and probably had to, make modest improvements over the years. Now, however, there is real competition for that market, requiring both more rapid innovation while maintaining high quality. It's a big order for Apple, but they have to deliver. 

blackbook wrote: »
    Every iPhone needs its wow feature and from the looks of what we've seen on the 6th gen, I'm not seeing anything that really pops that's gonna make people lust after the phone.

How about if we wait until we know what the phone includes or doesn't include before we label it a failure?
  • Reply 24 of 100
    jragosta wrote: »
    How about if we wait until we know what the phone includes or doesn't include before we label it a failure?

Well, it's much easier to do it before then. Right now you can pretend it won't have anything new. After it's unveiled, you'd have to actually deal with facts. But , seriously, Apple can't afford another failure like the iPhone 4S. Not after the pasting their revenue took from that fiasco.
  • Reply 25 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

That said, I wished they could have pushed this a bit...  Partner with Starbucks, JC Penney, or whomever.

Or Apple's own retail stores?

Hmm... use an Android to buy an iPhone... :)

• Reply 26 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

There is also the rumor of a fingerprint scanner being embedded in the home key.  So, swipe your fingerprint and then use NFC to purchase things.  I'd be happy with that verification plan.

No, the technology Apple is trying to buy would make the screen a fingerprint reader.

• Reply 27 of 100
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    jragosta wrote: »

This is the Internet, how often does something rational like that happen? the next iPhone if clearly, obviously, and conclusively a disappointment and brings nothing new to the table. How do I know this? Cause I saw some possible case leaks. What do I know about the software or hardware? Zero. But I'm someone in the Internet, where saying something baed on knowledge/experience is overrated. I'd rather make sensational, horse-shit claims just to show everyone what high standards I have and at I'm officially putting Tim Cook on notice.

Seriously, the comments about the next phone have been so idiotic. What till you know a fucking thing about it people. YOU DON'T.
  • Reply 28 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Future proofing!  Do you know the difference between Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and Future Proofing...

The first two are real and future proofing isn't???

• Reply 29 of 100

This whole NFC situation, just like AntennaGate, reflects the dearth of real engineering know how amongst tech bloggers.

• Reply 30 of 100
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Well, it's much easier to do it before then. Right now you can pretend it won't have anything new. After it's unveiled, you'd have to actually deal with facts. But , seriously, Apple can't afford another failure like the iPhone 4S. Not after the pasting their revenue took from that fiasco.

Are you sure about the bolded? There are a lot of people who don't pay attention to the facts even AFTER the product is released. After all, how many trolls did we have to deal with who insisted that the 4S had nothing new. In fact, it had a new processor, new GPU, several key new software functions, improved camera, and so on - virtually EVERYTHING in the phone was new except for the case.

Even reality doesn't stop the trolls.
  • Reply 31 of 100

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

This whole NFC situation, just like AntennaGate, reflects the dearth of real engineering know how amongst tech bloggers.

I agree. I certainly hope there's no dedicated "NFC hardware" in Apple's digital wallet implementation. It has been thrown around a little that they might use Bluetooth, and I certainly hope so, for many reasons.

First, Bluetooth's everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Any other system would have to be built out, and they're not gonna do that. It's just not gonna happen! If it's specialized hardware only on the iPhone, I won't be able to go down to my local grocery store and buy things with my phone for over a decade! And that's even only if the system catches on as a system!

Second, people know Bluetooth. I'm not talking users, I'm talking hardware creators. Accessory makers. They understand it already. 

Third, Bluetooth makes it possible for EXISTING iPhones to get this feature, too! Having an installed base of users on DAY ONE will make Apple's version succeed. Having to buy more iPhones to do it… will take far longer.

I mean, okay, picture this. How's this for the future of purchasing: 

You drive to the store. Your iPhone knows where you are and reminds you what you're supposed to get. Not only that, it tells you what aisle those things are in, because the store has networked with Apple and uploaded its product layout to them. So you go to the aisle and find what you want. Pick it up, hold up your iPhone, picture of the QR barcode that has replaced the old style barcode on packaging. Now your iPhone knows what it is (1). Read that footnote first, then continue. You read it? Good, continuing. Not only does your iPhone now know what it is, it's on your list now as 'in your cart', because it probably is physically in your cart by now. Do the same with all the other products you want, and then… walk out. Just walk out. When you reach the boundary of the store geofence, your account is charged for the amount of the products in your cart. Just like an Apple Store today, but with every store. 

You want a revolution? They'll give you two. One for consumers, one for store owners. First, Apple has psychologically legitimized the behavior formerly known as stealing. It'll take a few years, but we will completely redefine what it means to buy something in a physical store. No more cashiers, no more cash registers, no conveyor belts, no self-checkout machines that never work. Take it, scan it, walk out. All yourself. And even in advance. Make your list of exactly the products you want, pay for it in advance, and don't even scan it in the store; just in, cart, out. Simple. 

Second, since each store's inventory and product location is connected to Apple's servers for the purpose of helping customers find what they want and at the best price and where they want to find it, when a customer makes a purchase, that inventory is deducted from the store's immediately at point of purchase. So store owners can see in real-time at any given time what products from what brands are selling best. This can also be uploaded immediately to the product's manufacturers. Product testbeds can give results in weeks instead of months. Manufacturing can be scaled back on existing products selling poorly and scaled up to meet a temporary or permanent demand for others.

(1) Your iPhone now knows this product. It knows you want this product. So it looks around for better prices for this product and tells you if it's cheaper elsewhere or the same price for a greater quantity. Additionally, now that it knows you want this product, in the future when this product is on your list and you get to the store, your iPhone will tell you if this product is currently in stock at the store. Because the store has networked with Apple and allowed Apple devices to check its inventory! And not just Apple devices, ALL devices. You'll see why above.

• Reply 32 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I hope you didn't patent that. It's too good not to share.

• Reply 33 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I agree. I certainly hope there's no dedicated "NFC hardware" in Apple's digital wallet implementation. It has been thrown around a little that they might use Bluetooth, and I certainly hope so, for many reasons.

First, Bluetooth's everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Any other system would have to be built out, and they're not gonna do that. It's just not gonna happen! If it's specialized hardware only on the iPhone, I won't be able to go down to my local grocery store and buy things with my phone for over a decade! And that's even only if the system catches on as a system!

Second, people know Bluetooth. I'm not talking users, I'm talking hardware creators. Accessory makers. They understand it already. 

Third, Bluetooth makes it possible for EXISTING iPhones to get this feature, too! Having an installed base of users on DAY ONE will make Apple's version succeed. Having to buy more iPhones to do it… will take far longer.

You drive to the store. Your iPhone knows where you are and reminds you what you're supposed to get. Not only that, it tells you what aisle those things are in, because the store has networked with Apple and uploaded its product layout to them. So you go to the aisle and find what you want. Pick it up, hold up your iPhone, picture of the QR barcode that has replaced the old style barcode on packaging. Now your iPhone knows what it is (1). Read that footnote first, then continue. You read it? Good, continuing. Not only does your iPhone now know what it is, it's on your list now as 'in your cart', because it probably is physically in your cart by now. Do the same with all the other products you want, and then… walk out. Just walk out. When you reach the boundary of the store geofence, your account is charged for the amount of the products in your cart. Just like an Apple Store today, but with every store. 

You want a revolution? They'll give you two. One for consumers, one for store owners. First, Apple has psychologically legitimized the behavior formerly known as stealing. It'll take a few years, but we will completely redefine what it means to buy something in a physical store. No more cashiers, no more cash registers, no conveyor belts, no self-checkout machines that never work. Take it, scan it, walk out. All yourself. And even in advance. Make your list of exactly the products you want, pay for it in advance, and don't even scan it in the store; just in, cart, out. Simple. 

Second, since each store's inventory and product location is connected to Apple's servers for the purpose of helping customers find what they want and at the best price and where they want to find it, when a customer makes a purchase, that inventory is deducted from the store's immediately at point of purchase. So store owners can see in real-time at any given time what products from what brands are selling best. This can also be uploaded immediately to the product's manufacturers. Product testbeds can give results in weeks instead of months. Manufacturing can be scaled back on existing products selling poorly and scaled up to meet a temporary or permanent demand for others.

(1) Your iPhone now knows this product. It knows you want this product. So it looks around for better prices for this product and tells you if it's cheaper elsewhere or the same price for a greater quantity. Additionally, now that it knows you want this product, in the future when this product is on your list and you get to the store, your iPhone will tell you if this product is currently in stock at the store. Because the store has networked with Apple and allowed Apple devices to check its inventory! And not just Apple devices, ALL devices. You'll see why above.

Interesting thought, though I imagine the store would actually have their own database that Apple's device (or just an app) is interfacing with, and it wouldn't actually be Apple's server with the inventory lists, because stores aren't likely to want to tie themselves to only one product line being able to use that feature.

What do you see as the solution for changing your mind and putting something back on the shelf? Will the shopper have to remember to re-scan the item before placing it back? A bit of a longer process, but I don't see how the iPhone could detect an item is no longer in the cart otherwise. That brings up the problem, though, that someone could re-scan the item and pretend it's not in their cart, but never actually put it back on the shelf, right? Maybe you have an idea for this but I imagine it's just these sorts of nuances that make the concept difficult to use.

• Reply 34 of 100
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    jetlaw wrote: »

Two are fantasy creations and one is a fat guy in a red costume at the mall during Christmas?
  • Reply 35 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Interesting. BUt what do you mean by just like an Apple store today? I don't know of an Apple store where your account is charged automatically when you exit the geofence. It's a cool concept but is it happening already? I can imagine parents freaking out as teenagers walk out of every store with new clothes :)

BTW, Ron Johnson has already mentioned JC Penney would soon emulate Apple stores with "mobile" cashiers.

• Reply 36 of 100

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

BUt what do you mean by just like an Apple store today? I don't know of an Apple store where your account is charged automatically when you exit the geofence.

Oh, sorry, yeah, that's not happening right now. But you can prepay for products in an Apple Store, walk in, take it off the shelf, and walk out. The geofence thing would be a simple extension of that which would allow customers to make the purchasing decision in-store while retaining the overall workflow of the system (in, take, out). 

Of course in all instances in all stores, before you leave the geofence you will have the option of removing any scanned items from your list. That, of course, can be helped along by repurposing the location of check out lines into simple bins where you'd place unwanted product, and then the employees would return said product to the shelves. 

• Reply 37 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Are you sure about the bolded? There are a lot of people who don't pay attention to the facts even AFTER the product is released. After all, how many trolls did we have to deal with who insisted that the 4S had nothing new. In fact, it had a new processor, new GPU, several key new software functions, improved camera, and so on - virtually EVERYTHING in the phone was new except for the case.

Even reality doesn't stop the trolls.

That's why the iPhone 4S has been such a dismal failure for Apple. No one is even buying it.

• Reply 38 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

NFC is insecure. iPhone 5 has a BLE chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy

NFC is dead.

Like I said.

• Reply 39 of 100

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Apple will not use NFC as there is no advantage for Apple.  Apple will not rely upon another vendor to create the necessary infrastructure for secure mobile payment transactions.  The consumer will use their iDevice to pay while the retailer will use a retail point-of-sale presence iDevice to receive the payment.  The transaction will be performed over Bluetooth rather than NFC, specifically Apple's mobile payment system will require the use of a security protocol suite which Apple may eventually publish.

As I have stated previously, the processor shown in the images is the AuthenTec AES2750 fingerprint sensor for secure mobile payment transactions.

One of the greatest problems with NFC is the go-to-market strategy.  Which comes first; the NFC point-of-sale terminal or the NFC-enabled mobile payment systems?  We already know from Google's doomed attempt at implementing NFC in Android-based smartphones that  NFC-enabled mobile payment systems without NFC point-of-sale terminals is pointless.  Apple will circumvent the issue by implementing their own security protocol suite which exclusively enables Apple devices to transact business via Bluetooth.

Apple's implementation of mobile payment systems via Bluetooth solves both the go-to-market strategy and increases the demand for Apple products.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 40 of 100
    jccjcc Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

NFC is insecure. iPhone 5 has a BLE chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy

NFC is dead.

That chip does look like a BLE chip.