Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 221 of 392
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Other than the fact that we knew nothing at all before the keynote, yes, we knew everything before the keynote.

See, even when someone tries to tell something he thinks nicely, you flame him.

Other than the fact that we knew how the phone looked, how almost all of its internals looked, we knew nothing at all. Corrected, see?

• Reply 222 of 392

Apple knows they shouldn't mess too much with a good thing. 

All it needs are improvements here and there. That's what the iPhone 5 brings. Improvements in all the right places. iOS is already as refined as any mobile OS could get. Nothing comes close to it in terms of User Experience. 

Here's the "stale" iPhone:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57398726-37/iphone-again-scores-top-spot-at-customer-satisfaction/

Most recent:

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/03/18/apples-iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/08/apple-again-tops-j-d-power-rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/09/j-d-power-smartphone-study-ranks-iphone-1-in-customer-satisfac/

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/iphone-wins-top-business-smartphone-satisfaction-marks/

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

This one's interesting:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/09/iphone-satisfaction-at-75-closest-competitor-at-47/

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind since the first or second year into the iPhone's release. 

EDIT: Correction, *first* year.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/orchant/iphone-satisfaction-numbers-are-unreal/523

http://seekingalpha.com/article/44709-early-iphone-adopters-extremely-satisfied

No wonder Apple commands over 30% of the US market, with at most 2-3 phones, *all under the same roof.* NO OEMs, NO UNIVERSAL-LICENSING. 

I won't even mention satisfaction rates for iPads, iPods and Macs. It's all the same story across the board. For years now. 

• Reply 223 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Wow. You have no idea what your talking about. The main camera has been improved for better low-light photography while becoming thinner. The new dock connector is faster, smaller (to make room for other components) and symmetrical (so it can be put in both ways). The physical design provides a better bigger screen and the metal back, while more visually pleasing, also makes the device more durable and helps with the antenna functionality.

But keep making things up dude. Clueless...

Is the dock connector faster? They didn't mention it during the presentation. Link please?

• Reply 224 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post

Personally, the thing I would have liked to see would be the larger screen included without increasing the height of the handset from the 4/4S, making the home button smaller and convex, and reducing the size of the blank areas top an bottom. The thickness of the 4/4S has never bothered me, but I certainly don't want something larger to put in my pocket. I would also like to see the width on the sides of the screen (bezel) reduced.

To those that are dissapointed by the release I would like to relay this little story (which you may or may not find interesting).

Some years ago I did an industrial design degree. This was just before 3D computer modelling became a tool in the industry, and the flat screen plasma TV was just starting to emerge in the market for people that had way too much money.

We did a project on future forecasting. Predicting where various consumer products would go in 5, 10, 15, and 25 years time. While many of the product evolutions seemed to merge or to point towards humans becoming cyborgs with chips in their heads to supply media directly to the brain (he he), the forecast for the humble TV has some relevance here.

What is the purpose of a TV? To essentially supply an image to a viewer. A pure articulation of this concept is nothing but 'an image', no CRT tv tube, no flat screen tv, no tv stand, no extra piece of physical design or unnecessary ornamentation that interferes with the essential purity of the intent/image. Do we want to look at an image, or a TV?

The design forcast for the TV suggested that it would eventually reach for purity in concept and become nothing but an image (whether this be  floating in the air, mounted on the wall like a poster, or beamed directly into your head).

My point here is that people are looking and wishing to be amazed by the next big thing - but smartphones are already reaching for that purity of concept - from an aesthetics standpoint its already all about the screen / image, and less about everything else that makes up the phone. In reaching for that purity the size of the screen would be largely irrelevant (if it is fit for a users purpose) as long as its a screen and nothing else.

We are not so far away from that reality - and as we get closer there is going to be less and less companies (apple, samsung etc) can do to differentiate their products. A screen after all is just a way to display an image - its the image we care about.

You will note that on all of apples designs they generally are trying to strip back unnecessary ornamentaion and move towards a purity in concept. This is form-following-function in an extreme sense and I find it quite exciting. It is also why I want more screen and less phone.

On a side note, I think that the mind-blowing innovation will start to come when the phones get powerful enough to perform the function of your regular computer, and we start docking them into workstations etc.

Or if could just be time for that chip in the brain! Or perhaps you eat an apple with genetic nanites.... I digress :-)

Enjoy the new phone if you get one - Enjoy moaning if you don't!

It has been said the first true mass market cybernetic implant would, in fact, be a PHONE.

No more screens, just binaural interface.

And I bet apple will be first to that party as well. ;-)

• Reply 225 of 392
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    I think it looks great and is just fine for an update. The white/silver model looks better that I thought it would. The shiny, chamfered edge makes a big difference. It doesn't look too blocky any more and catches the light very well and probably feels nicer to hold.

The glass looks to be totally inset so it should be much better protected from drops.

Having a big widescreen will make it so much better for apps, especially ones with the keyboard in portrait.

They don't need to do anything drastic to the iPhone from here on in. The 4S sold very well and almost changed nothing. They are following a design path and I hope they stick to it.
  • Reply 226 of 392
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Personally, I found his mentioning of Motto even cuter. This is the phone that has design 'light years ahead' according to him. Try to look at that homescreen without etting a seizure. Opinions are opinions, but sometimes it's mindblogging what those who bash Apple consider (or pretend to consider) superior. BUT ITS SO EXXXXXTREME! I mean Jesus Christ. 

For sure the camera icon and background are puke-inducing.

edited to remove that awful picture from the quote lol

Where's the stream I want to see it!!

• Reply 227 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Other than the fact that we knew nothing at all before the keynote, yes, we knew everything before the keynote.

Oh get real, every detail with pictures leaked ahead of time, right on this site.

• Reply 228 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Fortunately its Android and you can download any one of thousands of icon sets available on the Google Play store. I do hate the Moto icons. The stock google ones are great. A lot better than the stale squares of Apple.

• Reply 229 of 392
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm probably in the minority but I love the new iPhone design. Looks very classy, very well built. And IMO looks 1000% better than the leaks that came out. The leaks obviously didn't have the fit and finish of the finalized product. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment on the Apple blogs, but I think that's because unfortunately a lot of this stuff leaked so when it came to the keynote nothing really was new.

Anyway I wish I was due for an upgrade because I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat!
  • Reply 230 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, the trolls are out from under their rocks today. Must mean winter is near.

So is that how you become a moderator here?  Discourage and ridicule the expression of any views that contrast your own?  People are making very valid points as to why this hardware upgrade is underwhelming...that is not trolling.

The hardware and software are very solid upgrades...  The combination makes it the best phone out there!

For example, You can take 1080P movies on your iPhone, Edit them with iMovie and post them to the web... no fuss, no muss, no bother.

And later, you will (based on history) be able to upgrade to the next several releases of iOS... no rooting, no waiting...

What makes this meh to us -- is that we already knew most of this before the announcement.

• Reply 231 of 392
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Where's the stream I want to see it!!

Believe me, it looks much better in the pic I posted than the keynote photo they showed at the event. I tried to find that one, but couldn't. 

• Reply 232 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm probably in the minority 

You aren't. It's tech-site goers that are in the minority (especially the big Apple-critics on tech sites, and they don't even know it.)

• Reply 233 of 392

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Try to look at that homescreen without getting a seizure.

I'll bet it's even worse in person, as the image in the back is probably animated. image

See, even when someone tries to tell something he thinks nicely, you flame him.

Lying "nicely" is still lying.

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Is the dock connector faster? They didn't mention it during the presentation. Link please?

Yeah, same? Apple, surprisingly, doesn't have a standalone page for Lightning like it does for Thunderbolt. And the only cable I see is Lightning to USB 2, which is not "faster" in any respect… 

• Reply 234 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Is this what you'd consider yourself to be?

Uh, right. Mine does.

My one is the i9250

So which one have you got?

The i515 released in November, 10 months ago or the LTE, which was released in April, 5 months ago.

So how did you get yours a year ago?

Do you work for Google or something?

• Reply 235 of 392

Quote:

Where's the wow factor?

This is pretty tired. Everything Apple's "incorporating" has been in an Android device for almost a year now, in some cases longer.

You know, this guy just needs to go ahead and take the "de" out of his name.

• Reply 236 of 392

Quote:

Removing the hardware buttons altogether would have been ideal (In my opinion after using a device without one for years - broken iPad home button and my Galaxy Nexus). And I think (hope) the mind-blowing innovation will be closer to that of Google glasses.

Ahh, I agree, but technically I would see this as a 'post smartphone world/product'. I like you thoughts on removing the buttons altogether.

• Reply 237 of 392

Quote:

Ok, you may have got me on one point. However, with no information to the contrary, I'll save my "touché".

• Reply 238 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Does Verizon lock the phone to the network, just as AT&T does? Could I just pop out the sim in, say, the UK, and add a prepaid one there and not be locked out or locked to roaming with verizon, as I would with AT&T?

If you look at the LTE specs you will see that the AT&T phone will not work on international LTE frequencies so it doesn't matter whether it is locked or not.

The verizon phone can be unlocked by Verizon for international use.  That phone also covers the current international LTE frequencies so you will be able to get LTE in the UK as well if the local carriers there support it.

• Reply 239 of 392
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm probably in the minority but I love the new iPhone design. Looks very classy, very well built. And IMO looks 1000% better than the leaks that came out. The leaks obviously didn't have the fit and finish of the finalized product. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment on the Apple blogs, but I think that's because unfortunately a lot of this stuff leaked so when it came to the keynote nothing really was new.

Anyway I wish I was due for an upgrade because I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat!

No, you're in the majority. Please keep in mind that half the people here are Apple-hating trolls, and the other half are ADHD neck-bearded basement dwelling geeks who actually have no perspective, no idea what they want, no idea what most people want, and have kneejerk negative reactions to every Apple product ever unveiled. So, this thread is completely typical. This phone is a significant improvement in every way imaginable (aesthetics, build quality, speed, photo, video, audio, screen, etc) and its no surprise its getting a ton of hate. It will probably not only the best selling iPhone of all time, but the best selling electronic product of all time, along with having the best reviews and best customer satisfaction ratings. Meanwhile, people on boards such as these and everywhere else on the internet will continue to foam and rant about how Steve must be rolling in his grave, and how Apple should fire everyone (so far in this thread the resignations of Cook, Ive, and Forstall have been demanded). I'll be pre-ordering this on Friday, because it will be the best overall phone on the market by far. It's clear to any rational, sane human being how much thought, effort, and R&D went into it. Unfortunately, these kinds of people arent the majority in places such as this, and people here really have a messed up, insane level of entitlement. This was probably one of the most content heavy, if not THE most content heavy keynote in Apple's history. But don't expect anyone here to aknowledge that. Apple fansites are now indistinguishable from Apple hate sites, or the engadget comment section. 

• Reply 240 of 392

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I asked you.

Also, considering Apple dominates mindshare and the iPhone is almost always the best selling device, it's remains the "it" device to which everything will be and should be compared.

So how will Android exceed it?

I expect to see a laundry list of specs that are utterly meaningless. It's all about the marriage of hardware and software. You saying "don't say iOS" proves you don't get it. If it didn't matter, explain how a similarly spec'd Android phone will lose to the iPhone every day?

And Android hasn't "had this for the past year". Considering the 4S was easily the best smartphone when it was released, and this is considerably better, your logic fails.

Is your brain failing you today?

What's new in the iPhone 5? A taller screen? LTE support?

Once again, all of these items have been present in an Android device for a year. Look up the Galaxy Nexus.

I don't know what you're talking about with a "similarly spec'd Android phone losing to the iPhone every day" statement. Sales? Features? What, exactly, is your point there?

Well,  to be honest, Android certainly leads iOS in the number of trolls...  but, like Android -- the quality is poor.