Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 241 of 392
    slurpy wrote: »
    Love all the predictable, "dissapointed" posts here. Same each and every time. Apple basically reengineered, rethought, and improved every SINGLE internal aspect of the phone, including all audio/video subsystems, dramatically improved hardware, completely different build materials, better back and front camera, LTE, larger screen, new connectors AND headphones, etc etc..there's nothing they didn't touch or massively improve. But yeah it's a 'meh' and 'minor' update, cause it looks 'generally' the same. You people would have preferred if Apple slapped on a large-ass screen, wrapped it around in shitty plastic, and called it a day- thats INNOVATION, right?

(whiny Fandroid voice) "But there's no KITCHEN SIIINK!!! I wanna KITCHEN SIIINK!!! I wanna totally different CAAASE. I want twice the number of COOORES. I want more MEGAPIXEEELZ!!! I wanna be more elite than my FRIEEENDZ!!! They all gonna laugh at my tiny SCREEEEEN!!! I don't wanna be called SHEEEEEP!!!"

That's the approximate reasoning behind the "disappointed" trolling coming from people who were never seriously going to consider an iPhone 5 to begin with, unless it could out-kitchen sink the clones with meaningless and poorly implemented spec-sheet filling features.
  • Reply 242 of 392
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm probably in the minority but I love the new iPhone design. Looks very classy, very well built. And IMO looks 1000% better than the leaks that came out. The leaks obviously didn't have the fit and finish of the finalized product. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment on the Apple blogs, but I think that's because unfortunately a lot of this stuff leaked so when it came to the keynote nothing really was new.

Anyway I wish I was due for an upgrade because I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat!

No - you are almost certainly in the majority - same as with previous iPhone releases. Don't be confused by the spectacularly miserable trollfest that this thread became as soon as the article was posted.

• Reply 243 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My one is the i9250

So which one have you got?

The i515 released in November, 10 months ago or the LTE, which was released in April, 5 months ago.

So how did you get yours a year ago?

Do you work for Google or something?

You have got it all wrong. The third version of the Galaxy Nexus, the one made for Sprint, was released in April. The LTE Galaxy Nexus was released in early December, 10 moths ago.

• Reply 244 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

If you look at the LTE specs you will see that the AT&T phone will not work on international LTE frequencies so it doesn't matter whether it is locked or not.

The verizon phone can be unlocked by Verizon for international use.  That phone also covers the current international LTE frequencies so you will be able to get LTE in the UK as well if the local carriers there support it.

Hmmmmm.....that does change things.

That now means the AT&T phone is not a world phone, as advertised, Apple is not making one phone for all networks, as originally reported, and it may be to my advantage to move to verizon......however I will admit most of my time is spent in the US,A, and there in lies the rub......

I have been with AT&T since the iphone 3G (came back to them for the iPhone after dumping cingular to go to T-Mobile.....never again. Only Sprint has worse coverage) and will admit it is tempting to try another network......I can actually transfer my number over now......dammit. I thought I was all decided......

I need to figure out the coverage for Verizon in rural areas I may visit, such as Buckingham, VA......

• Reply 245 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Other than the fact that we knew nothing at all before the keynote, yes, we knew everything before the keynote.

If you want to really argue semantics and say it was all rumors that wound up being almost 100% accurate, then I suppose we knew nothing.  But since almost everything we knew (or at least every rumor I actually believed) wound up being true, it sure appears like knowledge in hindsight.

And by the way, the coverage I followed kept making mention of how unprecedented it was because usually there is some sort of surprise.  So I am not the only one with that opinion.  There is a story here because I think it encourages the ho-hum reaction you are seeing from some in the press and others, which by the way, Tallest, I think is unfair.
  • Reply 246 of 392
    wolfies167 wrote: »
    What time will the pre-orders start on Friday?  Will it be 12 a.m. Eastern Time?

I recall it was Pacific with the 4S.
  • Reply 247 of 392
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    You aren't. It's tech-site goers that are in the minority (especially the big Apple-critics on tech sites, and they don't even know it.)
    I was totally expecting to puke over the design and when I saw the photos I was really impressed. I'm sure the techies will be 'meh' because the design didn't change a lot but it seems to me once Apple has invested In a process (unibody, stainless steel antenna) they don't change it for the sake of change. IMO changing a design for no good reason isn't innovation, it's just being different for the sake of being different.
  • Reply 248 of 392
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I'm really becoming disillusioned with Apple. I love my iPhone 4S (which I purchased at full price and not on contract) and I love iCloud and I also really like my new MacBook Pro. But is this really the best they can do?

Sure, people will still queue for days to get their hands on this iPhone, but I certainly won't. What they've really announced is an upgraded iPhone 4S with an extra row of icons and a wireless technology that is no where near ready for mass use. I remember the days when Apple set the market, not just followed it. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right now.

To be fair, I am looking forward to the availability of iOS 6 and this upgraded iTunes that was mentioned earlier today. Scott Forstall, you have to become CEO as soon as possible and take the company out of the hands of Tim Cook and the Dixons guy. It took more than numbers and spreadsheets to create the brand that is Apple, it took imagination.

Perhaps this is an unfair critique (and I would be happy to be told that it is), or perhaps personal/mobile technology has reached a point where it's future can only be evolutionary and not revolutionary.

Jesus christ...I think folks were writing this word for word when the 4S came out.  

WTF do you people want?  This thing is LOTS better than my iPhone 4 and that's only 2 years old.

A6 people...it's twice as fast as the 4S.  It should be interesting to find out what's inside...a dual core A15 at lower clock speed would be interesting.  It means Apple is one step ahead of the competition using quad A9s.

• Reply 249 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Hmmmmm.....that does change things.

That now means the AT&T phone is not a world phone, as advertised, Apple is not making one phone for all networks, as originally reported, and it may be to my advantage to move to verizon......however I will admit most of my time is spent in the US,A, and there in lies the rub......

I have been with AT&T since the iphone 3G (came back to them for the iPhone after dumping cingular to go to T-Mobile.....never again. Only Sprint has worse coverage) and will admit it is tempting to try another network......I can actually transfer my number over now......dammit. I thought I was all decided......

I need to figure out the coverage for Verizon in rural areas I may visit, such as Buckingham, VA......

I believe that the 3G networks will be worldwide similar to the iPhone 4S. I can't confirm it yet. Verizon has coverage in the center of Buckingham only it looks like. http://www.verizonwireless.com/wireless-coverage-area-map.shtml

• Reply 250 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

as an example, the Galaxy S II (released around eighteen months ago back in February 2011) has LTE and dual-band WiFi (2.4 and 5Ghz) and sports a relatively large screen which is quite usable.  it's about 0.9 mm thicker than the iPhone 5, however.  another example is the HTC EVO 4G LTE, released earlier this year.  it also has LTE and dual-band WiFi, a large screen, and is around 1 mm thicker than the iPhone 5.  and, there are probably several more examples.

the iPhone 5 looks pretty good; i may get one soon.

The Galaxy S II released in February last year was the GSM model, the HD and LTE models weren't released until October, less than a year ago.

What's the point of the misleading comment, this is the Internet, we can check on lies.

• Reply 251 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, the trolls are out from under their rocks today. Must mean winter is near.

If they have hair on their backs it means we're in for a harsh winter.

• Reply 252 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am going to re-examine the other options who use the ATT Network.  We need 3 iPhones... so the question is whether to buy unlocked or not.

This is a pretty amazing site I am surprised I missed when doing my research:

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=buckingham&state_abr=va

• Reply 253 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I believe that the 3G networks will be worldwide similar to the iPhone 4S. I can't confirm it yet. Verizon has coverage in the center of Buckingham only it looks like. http://www.verizonwireless.com/wireless-coverage-area-map.shtml

This site is a little better:

• Reply 254 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

This site is a little better:

Is there a way to show more than just cell towers? I like the shaded maps because they account for mountainous terrain. Go up my neighborhood and you get full Verizon LTE coverage. At my house at the bottom of the hill, 3G only.

• Reply 255 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Is there a way to show more than just cell towers? I like the shaded maps because they account for mountainous terrain. Go up my neighborhood and you get full Verizon LTE coverage. At my house at the bottom of the hill, 3G only.

I wish it did, however that's the best site I have found so far.

And yes, Valleys do suck. No cellular service seems to be willing to boost signal to take those into account.

I do remember that AT&T offered a dropped spot reporting system with the iPhone 4 (both of mine were stolen, so I don't know if it's still offered. Been waiting for this phone to upgrade again.)

• Reply 256 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

The iPhone 5 has an A6 Processor.  I am assuming that the A6 processor in the iPhone 5 is a dual core not quad core.  If it was a quad core they would have mentioned it.

So how do you think it will stack up against the dual core processor in most of the US versions of the Galaxy S III?

• Reply 257 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

You missed the point, which is that the iPhone 5's new features are items that Android has already had for the past year, and in some cases, longer.

Androids have been twice as fast as the 4S for the last year?

• Reply 258 of 392
    More negativity than I expected. The iPhone (and the smartphone revolution it inspired) is starting to stabilize and move into a period of refinement rather than door-busting new features. I see a lot of people whining that the iPhone 5 didn't wow' them but they're not mentioning what features they wanted for that wow-factor to take place. For years I've had some various ideas about what I wanted to see from new Apple hardware but I've pretty much run out of ideas as well. Now it is just polishing them up, gradually evolving them, and gradually evolving the software to do more and more.
    Someone complained that it lacks a 'wider' screen. No thanks on that, I like being able to comfortably reach my thumb across the phone without having to change my hand position. That probably won't be possible anymore without a little bit of vertical movement, but that won't be as big a deal as horizontal movement. Some people have bigger hands and could comfortably use a little more screen width but there are plenty with smaller hands who could not. Apple would have to introduce additional versions. In any case, I'm pretty sure that people whining for something like a wider screen really just don't get Apple. They're designing a product that is comfortable for everyone (and not everyone wants a huge electronic device glued to the side of their head and bulging in their pocket).
    Someone complained about sub-standard battery life for a smartphone. That's just false.
    I'm more interested in revolutionary new ideas that would have inspired that 'wow' factor, or made a competing device so much more 'wow' than the iPhone. Instead it just seems like a bunch of people justifying their beliefs for their own individual platform choice (which we see plenty of in relation to Apple as well, here). Also, the folks who shop on a checklist—"8 MP camera? Check."—there are plenty of manufacturers who don't care about quality and execution but which are happy to check of every mark on a person's list. "3D Interface? Check." I care more about the quality and how much of a delight it actually is to use the device.
    And I agree. This wasn't a through-and-through 'wow' iPhone, and I'm not so sure we'll see that again anytime soon. We won't be seeing it from their competitors anytime soon, either. (Maybe some of this has to do with people seeing the reveal before it takes place and then somehow still expecting to be wowed by a feature list they've already gradually been introduced to). For me, I think the time has come to pick a release point in the tick-tock process that Apple seems to be following and upgrade every other year, and I think the iPhone 5 is going to represent that point.

Very well said. I had a similar conversation at work with a fandroid owner saying nothing revolutionary about the 5. I agreed it is more evolutionary at this point. The original iPhone was revolutionary and the competitors have never been.

I have upgraded every year (at zero cost because of high resale value) but the 5 may be the point I finally start upgrading every two years as well.
  • Reply 259 of 392
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

The CPU is the most interesting aspect of this to me, actually, the only interesting aspect. If it really is a Cortex A15, that would represent a huge leap in power over the old A9, but Apple were only claiming a 2x improvement.  The GPU is surely the same quad core chip from the iPad 3, and not the far more powerful Power VR Rogue. That will surely surface in the iPad 4...

Shame about the lack of NFC and the tiny screen size, but at least there's plenty of interesting competition to buy from now.

• Reply 260 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

My Sammy G2 Skyrocket is both LTE and dual WiFi band, 9.5mm, and easily used with one hand. So 2 out of 3 for a phone that's almost a year old.

Is it twice as fast as the 4S as well?  Hello?  Hello?