Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad

Comments

• Reply 181 of 277
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    chia wrote: »
    I purchased a 3GS in 2009, it came with iOS 3.  It will be upgraded to iOS 6 next week.

Well apart from the fact that most of the ios 6 features will be missing from the 3GS, but hey, if you are happy with the change in the about screen, then that is all that matters.
    I purchased an Archos 48 media player in 2011.  It came with Android 1.4.  It can't be officially upgraded beyond 1.6.  There are numerous apps which can't be installed, notably Skype and Google Drive.

Media player? Aren't we talking about cellphones?
    I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Y April this year.  It can't be officially upgraded beyond Android 2.3 (Not that it bothers me anymore, the model I purchased and its replacement were returned as they each went onto endless reboots.  What's the point of a phone you can't use).

I will ask you this time, what applications have you been unable to install because you are only on Android 2.3? Then maybe you can list all the core applications that Google has updated adhoc in that time, when Apple would have required a full OS upgrade to perform the same?
    But my main phone will remain an iPhone.

Good for you
    It is deceptive to be promoting all the wonderful things about Android, talking about how the handsets are cheaper when the consumer can buy brand new Android handsets with the old limited versions of Android.

Again, how is this limiting the consumer? I'm yet to hear anyone list any applications that people with 2.3 phones are missing

The consumer who buys a new iPhone today gets the current iOS.  With Android it's very much let the consumer beware, as jfanning illustrates by chastising someone who purchased a new handset with Android 2.2.  The consumer has to be knowledgable about which phone comes with what version of Android and whether it can be upgraded or not.  Extra time and harassment for the knowledgable purchaser.

I didn't chastise anyone. With all purchases the consumer should be aware of what they are purchasing, if they are mislead by the person selling that is when the consumer protection laws come in. If you purchase a 2.2 based phone today it is no different than if you were to purchase a 3GS today.
    Future disappointment and confusion for those not in the know when an app doesn't work on their brand new 2.3 handset but works on a friend's year old device with 4.0.

Again, name this Application
  • Reply 182 of 277
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jragosta wrote: »
    So you're arguing that the OS is irrelevant and all the OS improvements that you Android shills brag about are meaningless?

No, I am saying you shouldn't need a full OS update to get a new version of mail.
    You can't have it both ways. Please choose one and stop talking out of both sides of your mouth:
    1. The fact that Android OS upgrades are rare is a serious problem that limits Android users' capabilities after they purchase a phone.

Please list these serious problems. You make a tonne of claims, but never produce any evidence to back it up. By you logic I should be taking back my iPod classic as I have never had an OS update for it.
    2. All the Android OS upgrades are irrelevant and don't do anything for the end user.

I have never said this, but don't let facts get in the way of your argument.
    The fact is that with iOS, you get upgrades for years. With Android phones, it is likely that you'll NEVER get upgrades and if you do, it will be only for a very short time.

Again, please back these update with some evidence. How many of this OS upgrades from Apple have just been to update core Applications?
  • Reply 183 of 277
    I'm not even going to make my comment because it would probably be deleted due to extreme profanity and over-extreme insulting.
  • Reply 184 of 277
    If you study the patents you knew this chip was going to be custom overall. I even mentioned the memory controller designs coming that don't match ARM designs.
  • Reply 185 of 277
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

How many of this OS upgrades from Apple have just been to update core Applications?

Practically every iOS update has included security updates, and these updates have been made available simultaneously across all iOS devices going back years. Combine this with Apple's walled garden for apps and you've got a far more secure solution than Google and its conspirators in intellectual property theft provide.

• Reply 186 of 277
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jfanning wrote: »
    No, I am saying you shouldn't need a full OS update to get a new version of mail.

Of course not. But that's not the issue.
    Please list these serious problems. You make a tonne of claims, but never produce any evidence to back it up. By you logic I should be taking back my iPod classic as I have never had an OS update for it.

Let's see - lack of security updates. Lack of updates to fix serious bugs in the OS (or are you going to pretend that no Android version has ever had a serious bug?). Lack of new features (so, once again, are you pretending that no Android OS upgrade adds new features or not?).
    I have never said this, but don't let facts get in the way of your argument.
    Again, please back these update with some evidence. How many of this OS upgrades from Apple have just been to update core Applications?

I don't know - nor is it relevant. The fact is that Apple offers updates for every iOS device for years while many Android devices will NEVER have an OS update available.

So, once again, please choose your argument. Which is it?
    1. Android OS upgrades are useless and don't have any value for the average user.
    or
    2. The lack of availability of Android upgrades is a serious problem for the user.

Which is it?

It's really amazing that you would even try to argue this point. It's a serious problem with Android and even Android advocates acknowledge it. Why can't you?
  • Reply 187 of 277
    chiachia Posts: 714member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well apart from the fact that most of the iOS 6 features will be missing from the 3GS, but hey, if you are happy with the change in the about screen, then that is all that matters.

So you think iOS 6 features for the 3GS such as Facebook integration, shared photo streams, Passbook and VIP email are all to be found in the about screen?  I suggest you familiarise yourself with iOS 6.

Media player? Aren't we talking about cellphones?

We're talking about cellphones but does Google use a radically different version of Android on non-cellphones?  Excluding phone and SMS apps, what's valid for Android on the phone is valid for Android on a media player or Tablet.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I will ask you this time, what applications have you been unable to install because you are only on Android 2.3?

I'm yet to hear anyone list any applications that people with 2.3 phones are missing.

Once, twice and three times:

Google Chrome

Google Chrome

Google Chrome

Your stance implies that there's no advantage in upgrading the Android OS on a handset, after all you've tried to compel people that Android apps that run in 4.0 also work in 2.3.

So why does Google bother to create new versions of Android?

Are you saying that Android software can't take advantage of new features in new versions of Android?

With all purchases the consumer should be aware of what they are purchasing, if they are mislead by the person selling that is when the consumer protection laws come in.

I suspect the salespeople will say it comes with "the latest Android 4.1" for the 4.1 phones and merely say "Android" for the older models.  That way nobody is misled, but then they won't be fully informed either unless the consumer has the awareness to prompt specifically about OS version.

If you purchase a 2.2 based phone today it is no different than if you were to purchase a 3GS today.

Oh yes there is:

a 3GS purchaser will have the current iOS 6 when it's released this week.

The Android 2.2 purchaser will be lucky to get an update to last year's version 3, much less the current version 4.1

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 188 of 277
    If you purchase a 2.2 based phone today it is no different than if you were to purchase a 3GS today.

Other than, of course, the entire point of this discussion.

The 3GS will be upgradeable to iOS 6. That means you get all the upgraded apps, all the security fixes, and most of the new features (all the ones the old hardware can handle).

With Android, you get none of that. And, many current apps won't even run on the older versions of Android.
  • Reply 189 of 277
    I find it absolutely hilarious how butt hurt you Apple fanatics are over a competitors ad...You'd swear they called your mom names and spit at your newborn child after stealing his candy...

get over it.
  • Reply 190 of 277
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I find it absolutely hilarious how butt hurt you Apple fanatics are over a competitors ad...You'd swear they called your mom names and spit at your newborn child after stealing his candy...

get over it.

Oh, don't pay us any attention while you tweak your Andud device for the umpteen millionth time. We're just anticipating the next shoe to fall, be it Apple's severance of all business ties with Samsung, another legal victory for Apple, another loss for Samsung or Google, a drop-dead damages award, etc. All well-deserved outcomes for Samsung.

• Reply 191 of 277
    get over it.

Yeah, we have to get over Samsung posting a blatantly false and misleading ad while you have to get over the fact that you're defending a convicted criminal organization.

Sounds reasonable.
  • Reply 192 of 277
    I'm not even going to make my comment because it would probably be deleted due to extreme profanity and over-extreme insulting.

I flagged you for what you were thinking.
  • Reply 193 of 277
    cpsro wrote: »
    Oh, don't pay us any attention while you tweak your Andud device for the umpteen millionth time. We're just anticipating the next shoe to fall, be it Apple's severance of all business ties with Samsung, another legal victory for Apple, another loss for Samsung or Google, a drop-dead damages award, etc. All well-deserved outcomes for Samsung.

Speaking of mindless Android shills, I notice that Googleguy hasn't made it back after Samsung got hammered by the CA court. or is he one of the new trolls with a different name?
  • Reply 194 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah, we have to get over Samsung posting a blatantly false and misleading ad while you have to get over the fact that you're defending a convicted criminal organization.

Sounds reasonable.

Well, his sneering insults are less annoying than the shrill whining he had been engaged in lately, so, at least there's that to his latest post.

• Reply 195 of 277

Quote:

Speaking of mindless Android shills, I notice that Googleguy hasn't made it back after Samsung got hammered by the CA court. or is he one of the new trolls with a different name?

He popped his head in once or twice, but everyone ignored him, naturally

• Reply 196 of 277

Here is my take on this Samsung iPhone 5 bashing ad:\

• Reply 197 of 277
    get over it.

You are misinterpreting the issue. It's about using shady tactics to use technical true but false claims. Those same people — except maybe a couple from this forum — would also be the first to point out where they think Apple is in the wrong or making missteps. Just read the recent headphone or skeumorphism threads to see those pro-Apple AI regulars talking about the aspects of Apple's products they clearly don't like.
  • Reply 198 of 277
    Go ahead, just make sure after you post that you click the red flag and report yourself. That should balance things out.
  • Reply 199 of 277
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It doesn't take a genius to know that within the next few days, maybe even tomorrow, Apple will most likely be announcing the insane number of pre-orders they received for the iPhone 5.

It also doesn't take a genius to recognize that Android is complete crap and no amount of desperate, poorly made ads will ever change that.

• Reply 200 of 277

Quote:

With Android, you get none of that. And, many current apps won't even run on the older versions of Android.

My phone runs gingerbread, and I have only ever found one app that I might have used that  it won't run, and that's an alternate browser.  Buy the phone (or any bit of gear) for what it does when you buy it, not for what it may or may not do in the future.