Apple A6 SoC 'confirmed' to leverage 1GB of RAM

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

I hope iPhone 5 would be smoother than 4S and support true multi-tasking, just like my Galaxy Nexus.  

• Reply 62 of 84
    hjb wrote: »
    I hope iPhone 5 would be smoother than 4S and support true multi-tasking, just like my Galaxy Nexus.  

iPhone had true multitasking from day one. What you're asking for is Apple to disband their APIs for making the device running smoothly, be power efficient, and be intelligent in the way it controls how multitasking works with App Store apps. That simply won't happen because the cases you can make will pale in comparison to how much it will hinder the user experience to let any all 3rd-party App Store vendors run their apps without any scrutinization.
  • Reply 63 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

iPhone had true multitasking from day one. What you're asking for is Apple to disband their APIs for making the device running smoothly, be power efficient, and be intelligent in the way it controls how multitasking works with App Store apps. That simply won't happen because the cases you can make will pale in comparison to how much it will hinder the user experience to let any all 3rd-party App Store vendors run their apps without any scrutinization.

I am sure Apple would gradually support true multi tasking with their improved specs for future products. http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-6-multitasking-2012-9  

Sorry I dont know anything about API, but my Galaxy Nexus is much smoother than iPhone 4S.  Why you should not expect that?

• Reply 64 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

I am sure Apple would gradually support true multi tasking with their improved specs for future products. http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-6-multitasking-2012-9  

Sorry I dont know anything about API, but my Galaxy Nexus is much smoother than iPhone 4S.  Why you should not expect that?

Then there's something wrong with your 4S, if your Nexus is 'much smoother'. I've never, ever encountered a time when my 4S wasnt completely fluid and responsive. 

• Reply 65 of 84
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

This didn't take long.

The original advertisement was definitely purposed to retain existing customers more than enticing switchers. It's a script to make sure the fandroids are signing from the same song sheet. The only way they are going to dethrone Apple is by making it seem boring and mainstream.

Someone told me yesterday that unlike Android the iPhone is built for the "lowest common denominator", to which I replied "isn't the denominator usually on the bottom?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

• Reply 66 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Then there's something wrong with your 4S, if your Nexus is 'much smoother'. I've never, ever encountered a time when my 4S wasnt completely fluid and responsive. 

Sorry, I bought Galaxy Nexus instead of iPhone 4S.  But, I have tested iPhone 4S every time I had chance to hold.  What I had liked about iPhone 4 and 4S was its superiority on smoothness until Jelly Bean came along.  

I have 3 launchers with my Nexus, one of which is 'Fake iPhone Launcher' which supports iPhone icons and same UI.  Now, I could compare mine with iPhone 4S.  Result?  iPhone 4s is not superior anymore in terms with smoothness.

Maybe with the increased ram, iPhone 5 would be much smoother on a par with mine.

• Reply 67 of 84
    dunks wrote: »
    This didn't take long.

The original advertisement was definitely purposed to retain existing customers more than enticing switchers. It's a script to make sure the fandroids are signing from the same song sheet. The only way they are going to dethrone Apple is by making it seem boring and mainstream.

Someone told me yesterday that unlike Android the iPhone is built for the "lowest common denominator", to which I replied "isn't the denominator usually on the bottom?"

Apple iPhones are for the "HEROes," an acronym from Forrester Research, Inc. for Highly Empowered and Resourceful Operatives; i.e. "the 17% of information workers who use new technologies and find innovative ways to be more productive and serve customers more effectively."

Apple iPhone is simply:

The most desirable smartphone.
    The most satisfying smartphone.
    The most reliable smartphone even during "Antennagate."
    The most secure smartphone.
    The most well designed smartphone even according to Samsung.
  • Reply 68 of 84

I have 3 launchers with my Nexus, one of which is 'Fake iPhone Launcher' which supports iPhone icons and same UI.  Now, I could compare mine with iPhone 4S.  Result?  iPhone 4s is not superior anymore in terms with smoothness.

Download the 'Fake iPhone 5 Launcher' and compare your Nexus to the iPhone 5... lol
  • Reply 69 of 84
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,730member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

The A6 is based on A15, so no its not underspeced, even if s3 uses a quad core. The score is about what should be expected for the numbers we saw from anandtech.

According to the latest information, the A6 is NOT based on the A15 (I can't imagine it not being somehow based on it).

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/15/apples_a6_processor_could_be_companys_first_custom_designed_cpu_core

• Reply 70 of 84

I think people need to wiki ARM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture just to educate themselves about how the A5/Cortex-A9 MPCore came about. You'll quickly find that Apple had an involvement way back in the 90's. My understanding is that Apple and Samsung just license tech.

• Reply 71 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Download the 'Fake iPhone 5 Launcher' and compare your Nexus to the iPhone 5... lol

No I do not need to download.  Will be updated.  I don't know anyone who is upgrading to iPhone 5 yet, so I might have to visit shops to compare mine with the 5.  I am sure it will be smooth as mine.

• Reply 72 of 84

Having used a G Nexus, it is no where as smooth or fluid as even an iPhone 4 yet alone a 4S. And don't even get me started on needing to charge it part way through he day.
  • Reply 73 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Having used a G Nexus, it is no where as smooth or fluid as even an iPhone 4 yet alone a 4S. And don't even get me started on needing to charge it part way through he day.

Well, I don't know.  I am using my GN fully for my requirements, 3 different launchers, about 120 downloaded applications and 12gb used.  When I open iPhone launcher I have 7pages of home screen.  Most of iPhone 4 and 4S that I compared with mine had about 30~60 application downloaded.  With iPhone launcher, mine is definately smoother than iPhone 4 and 4S.

On stock and Nova launcher, I get little glitches but after playing around 5 seconds it becomes buttery smooth ( I use full 5 home screens, full of widgets - most of them are scrollable and colorful).  I feel that still mine is better.

Mine is international GSM version with Jelly Bean.

• Reply 74 of 84
    steven n. wrote: »

I pity someone who wants an Apple iPhone so badly they purchase a cheap Samsung Galaxy Nexus and attempt to emulate the Apple iOS user experience.

The problem is that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is, as many expect from Samsung at this point, cheap garbage:

The iPhone 4S with iOS 6 A5 SoC 800 MHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU outperforms the 1.2GHz TI OMAP 4460 (running Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich") as well
    The iPhone 4S A5 SoC PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU performs as much as 3x faster than Samsung Galaxy Nexus PowerVR SGX 540 GPU
    iPhone 4S provides 42.8% longer Cellular 3G - EVDO or WCDMA web browsing battery life
    iPhone 4S provides 43.4% longer Wi-Fi web browsing battery life

Sadly, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus skimps on the processors but loads up on RAM. A more responsive user interface certainly wouldn't require that much RAM.
  • Reply 75 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I pity someone who wants an Apple iPhone so badly they purchase a cheap Samsung Galaxy Nexus and attempt to emulate the Apple iOS user experience.

The problem is that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is, as many expect from Samsung at this point, cheap garbage:

The iPhone 4S with iOS 6 A5 SoC 800 MHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU outperforms the 1.2GHz TI OMAP 4460 (running Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich") as well

The iPhone 4S A5 SoC PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU performs as much as 3x faster than Samsung Galaxy Nexus PowerVR SGX 540 GPU

iPhone 4S provides 42.8% longer Cellular 3G - EVDO or WCDMA web browsing battery life

iPhone 4S provides 43.4% longer Wi-Fi web browsing battery life

Sadly, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus skimps on the processors but loads up on RAM. A more responsive user interface certainly wouldn't require that much RAM.

Good one!  LOL. Please dont cry however.

No I just using iPhone launcher as 'Application drawer', if you know what I mean.  My default launcher is Nova.  (And of course, to test iPhones with mine)

You know that the first benchmark is just out.

http://************/2012/09/16/first-iphone-5-geekbench-results-dual-core-a6-more-than-doubles-ipad-3-score-narrowly-beats-high-end-androids/

iPhone 5 is quite impressive, Geekbechmark score is 1601.  

See below on above link, iPhone 4 is 380 and iPhone 4S is 629.

My Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean is 1048.  Compared with 4 and 4s, not bad is it ?  I have my screen shot saved.  If you need it, just scream for it.

PS- I can not the post correct link for some reason.  Visit 9to5mac and search the title 'First iPhone 5 Geekbench Results'

• Reply 76 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It has diminishing returns after a certain point but the consoles differ in that they aren't multi-tasking apps and running lots of services. 512MB can choke a desktop card to zero:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-ram-4870,2428-9.html

Given that most iOS games rarely exceed 1GB in total size, 512MB would have been a decent amount but Safari always uses loads of RAM.

I'd rather have more RAM than less no matter if the benefits aren't immediately obvious. It means more and higher resolution layers in drawing apps.

The PS3 does have Multi-tasking of sorts with Music and Chatting (video, audio and text) - but I was referring to graphics ram anyway, not system memory so its kind of moot in that regard.

Graphics RAM does hit a brick wall after a certain point, no denying that, but more often than not it can be circumvented by either lowering the resolution or over clocking the card. The latter being the more desirable, of course.

Although I have not tried with my own MacBook Pro (Radeon 6490M - 256MB GDDR5 RAM) I have seen other machines with 6490M cards run games at relatively high detail settings with 512MB or less. Over clocking the card under windows (using something like Sapphire Trixx) is all that was needed to get games like Skyrim running on Ultra on a few machines. They're all over youtube.

• Reply 77 of 84
    makingdots wrote: »
    LL

Nice! I like the 'any pants' / 'cargo pants'!
    retrogusto wrote: »
    (above image)
    They forgot to mention that the clock on the Samsung runs three hours and four minutes fast, which I see as a deal-breaking drawback.
    [/quote]

LOL
  • Reply 78 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    makingdots wrote: »
    LL

The support is a big one. Should you need help, you can be in and out with a replacement device in 15 minutes, and restoring all your data from iCloud.

A nearly 5" screen makes it a mini tablet. I've seen them, it's ludicrously sized for a phone. I think they should be marketing it as a Galaxy Tab 5.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    The support is a big one. Should you need help, you can be in and out with a replacement device in 15 minutes, and restoring all your data from iCloud.

Except when you live outside the US and it may take 2 weeks before you get your phone back
  • Reply 80 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    jfanning wrote: »
    Except when you live outside the US and it may take 2 weeks before you get your phone back

Because you don't have a nearby Apple store, or because of different policies?