First Apple iPhone 5 orders now shipping from China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgm313 View Post

iPhone 4/4s was delivered by UPS.

Thanks. For some reason I thought Apple dealt with FedEx most of the time. The fact that UPS Worldwide Express has a 1 to 2 day transit to US...technically we could still see a handoff to FedEx. Not like it matters...just FedEx usually delivers earlier to my house. hah.

• Reply 22 of 88
    Yep BDELAY. UPS is the carrier. Was last year for the 4S too. For me anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    bdelay wrote: »
    Thanks. For some reason I thought Apple dealt with FedEx most of the time. The fact that UPS Worldwide Express has a 1 to 2 day transit to US...technically we could still see a handoff to FedEx. Not like it matters...just FedEx usually delivers earlier to my house. hah.

For most orders with me, it is FedEx, but because of the heavy load, I think they contract with UPS and even DHL when needed.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    We got a shipment of nano SIM's today, better get a magnifying glass, there's not much room for the twenty digit SIM number.

It's shaped like a normal SIM, no little notches.

I'll try and post a pic later.

Edit:-

As promised

[I]Normal SIM, MiroSIM, NanoSIM[/I]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/12504/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 25 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Someone explain me please, why things like iPhone can't be assembled on automated factories, here in the US. It's like in the "Campaign" movie, Apple could save a lot on shipment costs. :-)

You want something slapped together by a machine; there are brands like that for you.

• Reply 26 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdelay View Post

Thank you PSIRIX for sharing the info! So UPS will be the delivery carrier and not FedEx?

I gotta hunch that Apple will be using every available shipping method to get the initial load of product to the end user.

• Reply 27 of 88

Friday, 09/21/2012, by 3:00 P.M.(by end of day for residential deliveries)

Addison, IL, United States, Sunday, 09/16/2012

Shipping Progress

Addison, IL, United States

09/16/2012

4:41 P.M.

Origin Scan

United States

09/16/2012

8:04 P.M.

Order Processed: Ready for UPS

• Reply 28 of 88
    shows up on mine as well...
    no email but my reference number works... which was my cell number...
    Scheduled Delivery:
    Friday, 09/21/2012
    Last Location:
    Arrived - ZhengZhou, China, Sunday, 09/16/2012

Additional Information
    Product:WORLD EASEShipped/Billed On:09/16/2012Type:PackageWeight:0.40 kg

Shipment Progress
    What's This?
    Location Date Local Time Activity
    ZhengZhou, China 09/16/2012 6:00 P.M. Arrival Scan
    09/16/2012 5:45 P.M. Departure Scan
    09/16/2012 8:49 A.M. Origin Scan
    China 09/16/2012 10:05 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
  • Reply 29 of 88

Great trick - found my tracking information, even though Apple still shows it as Preparing to Ship.

• Reply 30 of 88

Quote:

Someone explain me please, why things like iPhone can't be assembled on automated factories, here in the US. It's like in the "Campaign" movie, Apple could save a lot on shipment costs. :-)

Because Chinese labor is a lot cheaper than maintenance on expensive assembly machines. Apple brings in up to $300 profit from each iPhone, but they rather put that money in their own pockets rather than to create jobs with a decent wage in the US or China.

It doesn't bother me that companies take jobs to China, what bothers me is why they do it. They do it to exploit them with bad wages and killer hours, not to give them jobs.

A reason why I will never again buy an iPhone/iPad/Mac

• Reply 31 of 88

I followed Psirix's instructions and mine is in transit! I used my home phone, not cell, for the reference number.

I ordered about 20 after midnight Friday. Being shipped to Los Angeles. My confirmation has times similar to the one AI showed -

ZhengZhou, China  

09/16/2012   

9:50 P.M.

Arrival Scan

09/16/2012

9:30 P.M.

Departure Scan

09/16/2012

7:33 A.M.

Origin Scan

China

09/16/2012

12:37 P.M.

• Reply 32 of 88

Faxon uses more than 500K people to assemble all Apple products, it is difficult for USA to get those many people working in a single facility, average monthly salary for them is less than $400[which is great compared to other factories in China], but $400 is less than a weekly salary in USA!! Shipping costs are less compared to these labor costs.

Now Faxon is trying to reduce labor by introducing robots into manufactoring, that time Apple might think to build something local. But still it need to import every component from China or other countries!!!

• Reply 33 of 88

Quote:

Faxon uses more than 500K people to assemble all Apple products, it is difficult for USA to get those many people working in a single facility, average monthly salary for them is less than $400[which is great compared to other factories in China], but $400 is less than a weekly salary in USA!! Shipping costs are less compared to these labor costs.

Now Faxon is trying to reduce labor by introducing robots into manufactoring, that time Apple might think to build something local. But still it need to import every component from China or other countries!!!

• Reply 34 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pesos View Post

Because Chinese labor is a lot cheaper than maintenance on expensive assembly machines. Apple brings in up to $300 profit from each iPhone, but they rather put that money in their own pockets rather than to create jobs with a decent wage in the US or China.

It doesn't bother me that companies take jobs to China, what bothers me is why they do it. They do it to exploit them with bad wages and killer hours, not to give them jobs.

A reason why I will never again buy an iPhone/iPad/Mac

LOL Well any other phone is made in Asia anyway? You not gonna use any technology not made in US? I guess you can buy that Google Q thing.

• Reply 35 of 88

huh. mine shipped from Nashville. I can't imagine it taking 4 days to get here, does UPS just sit on them 'til Friday?

Last Location:

Departed - Nashville, TN, United States, Sunday, 09/16/2012

Nashville, TN, United States

09/16/2012

4:01 P.M.

Departure Scan

09/16/2012

12:05 P.M.

Origin Scan

United States

09/15/2012

12:25 P.M.

• Reply 36 of 88

Still saying "processing" I ordered 3:14 EST and got the email confirmation at 3:20. anyone else?

• Reply 37 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinpike View Post

huh. mine shipped from Nashville. I can't imagine it taking 4 days to get here, does UPS just sit on them 'til Friday?

Last Location:

Departed - Nashville, TN, United States, Sunday, 09/16/2012

Nashville, TN, United States

09/16/2012

4:01 P.M.

Departure Scan

09/16/2012

12:05 P.M.

Origin Scan

United States

09/15/2012

12:25 P.M.

Some people got their 4S a day or two before the launch day.

• Reply 38 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

LOL Well any other phone is made in Asia anyway? You not gonna use any technology not made in US? I guess you can buy that Google Q thing.

I have a recollection that the Google G thing is assembled in the USA and some of the parts manufactured there but not all.

With reference to the answers above, I agree that some of the reasons that the process is not fully automated is that labour in China is cheaper and the rest of the supply chain is more local. I am guessing that there is another reason. To fully automate, one would need to build and program the robots necessary which is an enormously capital intensive task. this is not a problem if those machines are going to be used for enough times to pay for themselves but the manufacturing process for the 3 and the 4 were very different and it seems that the 4 and 5 are also using very different processes.

This could mean that machinery bought today for the current iPhone will be redundant by the time the next phone is due. Although it would be reasonable to assume that the 5s will be pretty similar in build to the 5 with updated internals if history is anything to go by.

In the end it would be preferable for Apple to use an automated assembly line from start to finish to avoid labour issues, potential criticism and to control the process even further but it seems that human labour is more flexible and better for certain tasks at this stage.   

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 39 of 88
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post

I have a recollection that the Google G thing is assembled in the USA and some of the parts manufactured there but not all.

It's Google 'Q'. It was ridiculously expensive and incredibly limited. And you know, it never actually launched. 'Indefinitely' delayed. Not the best example to use. 

• Reply 40 of 88
    At 0.4 kg each it would cost about 30 cents each unit to ship from China to USA. But that 's a lot of planes needed: only 2500 iPhones per tonne means about 100,000 per airliner. Or 10 planeloads per million.