Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 41 of 490
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I like the new Maps. It is much faster and the directions seem better. I will miss street-view (don't use it often) and I am sure I will get annoyed when / if the map misbehaves. But so far it is better and I suspect it will improve fairly rapidly. It is way too important for Apple to let it become a second rate citizen.
  • Reply 42 of 490
    I am in the US and so far I like the new Maps app better than the old app in most regards. I like the rendering of the maps much better. The move to vector data is a big improvement. The lack of transit directions built in is a disappointment though there are free apps here in the US which do an adequate job filling that need. Flyover is a cool demo for a few minutes but seems like it will be as pointless as streetview for me after the wow factor wears off.

It is clear from reports that the map data is not up to snuff everywhere however, and I hope that Apple address those problems quickly.
  • Reply 43 of 490
    This is terrible for Australian's users too! There are areas of parkland in streets, there are town names, hours from the actual location of the town... some towns don't even have names. Apple, this is atrocious... If you can't make your own maps with your billions of dollars, perhaps you should let Google do it, since they know how.
  • Reply 44 of 490
    deleted
  • Reply 45 of 490
    MAPGATE

Apple should've waited another year.

I really hope Google releases a standalone Google Maps app for iOS and save Apple's ass.
  • Reply 46 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Is anyone really surprised Apple maps 1.0 is not equal to Google Maps 6.0?

Give it a few months.. maybe even a year.  With user feedback and resources focused on the Apple maps.. they will eventually catch up.  I have no doubt a company with a $100 Billion in the bank.. can make a great map app.

That's the problem. It replaced something that mostly worked. They might have given you something worse than what you already had. This isn't a product introduction, it is a product replacement. Because of that, it needed to come out the gates firing on all cylinders. It can't get there eventually.

• Reply 47 of 490
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apple made a big mistake here. Unless google forced their hand.
  • Reply 48 of 490
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I really don't know what people truly expected.  Did you honestly expect a 1.0 product to match something or even come close to a system that's been going on for several years?  Yes it sucks now, but it's going to take years to catch up to Google.  Fortunately I live in Houston and the maps works great for me.  I also have a great sense of direction, so that helps too. 

Then they should have waited until it was ready before replacing the better mapping application that was already baked in. Or released an app first, then baked it in once it was up to snuff.

So it's going to take years to get BACK to the point we were before iOS 6? In what kind of world does that make sense? People expect a polished product from Apple; this wreaks of half-assedness.

Bottom line, if you replace an existing feature in your product, make it better, not worse.
  • Reply 49 of 490
    In New York the map is dead-on where I live and much prettier and faster than Google Maps. I love the 3D view and how street names scale with perspective. The turn-by-turn is much needed as for whatever reason Google Maps didn't include it or they were never allowed to on the iApp. Whatever. I am seeing it work perfectly in my location so once Apple fixes the maps in the rest of your locations you will probably like it too.
    I hear the fly-over has lots of bugs but that is not necessary for a GPS navigation app.
  • Reply 50 of 490
    You can report the map problem directly in the app. Hopefully they will be able to fix it really quickly.

• Reply 51 of 490
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Version 1.0 people ... but if you don't like it, assign some of the blame to Google who really did mess up a decent relationship with Apple.

• Reply 52 of 490
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

I have an idea - if you live in a country where Maps are not yet fully supported - Don't update to iOS 6. 

Perhaps hard to do if you are getting a new iPhone 5 - but here's an idea - don't update to an iPone 5 just yet. 

I would have to think that Apple is hard at work on getting lots of updates to Maps done as soon as possible. 

• Reply 53 of 490

This is very untimely. I doubt Google will push out a standalone maps app anytime soon, not if they think this situation can help Android handset makers. But what about simply using maps.google.com homepage as an app?

• Reply 54 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

In my area it's ok, but in general it feels like a step backward. The turn-by-turn features are very welcome, but somehow I get the feeling that Apple released this too early. 

Who knows, I might warm up to it.   *shrugs*

My feelings too. Apple should have simply left the choice to the consumer. If Google does not come out with an app soon, this could be very bad PR for Apple.

So what shall we call this? Mapgate? Googlegate? Streetviewgate? Commutermapgate?

• Reply 55 of 490
    I use maps frequently enough that ios6 won't get on my phone until these problems are fixed.

Funny, knowing both youtube and maps were going away, Google got a new youtube app out early, yet not even a word on a google (standalone) maps app...

• Reply 56 of 490
    I support Apple, at least Apple is trying to get away from Google.

Apple made it only map now is better than If Google asked Apple for money to use Google map.

Unlike SHAMESUNG , it is just too lazy to innovate.

Give Apple some time to get it improved.
  • Reply 57 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Then they should have waited until it was ready before replacing the better mapping application that was already baked in. Or released an app first, then baked it in once it was up to snuff.

So it's going to take years to get BACK to the point we were before iOS 6? In what kind of world does that make sense? People expect a polished product from Apple; this wreaks of half-assedness.

Bottom line, if you replace an existing feature in your product, make it better, not worse.

The timing is bad, but it is not entirely Apple's doing. The agreement with Google expired this year, leaving Apple to either agree to more years on Google's terms or branch out on their own. Given the current climate, door #2 was the only one Apple would take. Furthermore, let's face it, Larry Page is a different CEO from Eric Schmidt. Page is shrewder in a devious way. This can be significant leverage in the Android v. iOS war.

• Reply 58 of 490
    You can still use google maps through Safari. And save the icon to your home screen so you access it just like any other app.
  • Reply 59 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

I use maps frequently enough that ios6 won't get on my phone until these problems are fixed.

Funny, knowing both youtube and maps were going away, Google got a new youtube app out early, yet not even a word on a google (standalone) maps app...

I would not say not a word. They've said that they'd make sure their Maps solution will be available on all platforms. But they didn't say when.

• Reply 60 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I really don't know what people truly expected.  Did you honestly expect a 1.0 product to match something or even come close to a system that's been going on for several years?  Yes it sucks now, but it's going to take years to catch up to Google.  Fortunately I live in Houston and the maps works great for me.  I also have a great sense of direction, so that helps too. 

Oh please stop this 1.0 nonsense. Sounds like Blackberry speak (there's no need to settle for 1.0 of anything when there's a 6.0 available).