Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 121 of 490

And here's the kicker: I don't even get 3D Flyover on my iPhone 4. And this is a MAPS APP (really important to have.)

So there goes iOS Maps' key feature for me (and plenty of others as well.)  Google Maps . . . Street View worked beautifully. 

Take note, that this isn't some app that lost a key feature. Yeah, I don't get to use Siri. No panorama photos. I can live with that. But a Maps App is supposed to be a key platform app. And it's gimped for god only knows how many users. 

• Reply 122 of 490
    New map App is basically a GPS. For those in cities with Public transportation or that need more detailed info this App just doesn't do the trick. But since we are the ones that suffer because of the war between Apple & Google I'm sure we'll. Be able to find an App that compliments Apples.
    This reminds me of taking a direct flight and then taking a stop over. The results are the same albeit not as convenient

Bottom line.: I'm sure Applecwill update their App and everyone will get used to it. We have no choice
  • Reply 123 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Makes me wonder...who did the beta testing for this? Did they not come accross any of these issues? C'mon now.....Apple is a huge company that prides itself on customer service and a great customer experience and great product design. Its why we all buy their products. But this new app does not seem to meet their standards!

Yes, but the world is large, you know ....

• Reply 124 of 490
    Yeah, they're a step back. I can really see how some people in some cities miss the transit instructions, but I suppose in many of those cities a slightly more cumbersome alternative will sprout up. And they'll probably be behind for at least a year. But by launching it they'll have a base for suitable feedback and I imagine there will be progress. I don't blame them for breaking ties with Google on this particular account and I imagine there are plenty of reasons for the change behind the scenes.
  • Reply 125 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That's your opinion.  

Everyone I know who uses Android tells me the turn by turn is great but that the rest of it is very similar to the cluster-f*ck that is Google maps on the web. 

Thank you for posting Google Maps from 3 years ago on Android 2.2. If you're going to have a discussion, at least bring relevant information, and don't bother trying to tell me everyone runs an old version of Android, Maps updates independently.

• Reply 126 of 490
    What a bunch of cry babies! This is Apple's first maps app, so why do you expect it to be on par with Google's whose been doing it for years? Trust that Apple will get things right over the the course of a few months to a year.
  • Reply 127 of 490
    It's the first freaking version and Google has been around for years. I happen to find Apple's Maps very useful. Now I can tell Siri to take me somewhere while I'm driving and I'm shown and told where I should go.
  • Reply 128 of 490

I've been peeking around using maps here in Victoria Australia and it's pretty much on par with Google maps (a mature product), except faster and smoother in operation. Clearly, this is not the case in parts of the UK. 

.. a work in progress and mileage may vary. 

• Reply 129 of 490
    iMap located me and my street correctly but some of the stuff near me is out of wack/mislocated......

Will we have a google map app soon?
  • Reply 130 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I really don't know what people truly expected.  Did you honestly expect a 1.0 product to match something or even come close to a system that's been going on for several years?  Yes it sucks now, but it's going to take years to catch up to Google.  Fortunately I live in Houston and the maps works great for me.  I also have a great sense of direction, so that helps too. 

Well, yes.  At least in general - by which I mean, if Apple makes a decision to replace "X" with "Y", then "Y" had better be pretty much just as good as "X".  You can't take a well-done product (like Google Maps) and throw it away for a glorified beta iMaps, and expect people not to be angry.  And given that Apple's sitting on $100 billion, there's really zero excuse for not having iMaps be whiz-bang perfect from the start.

• Reply 131 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Touch the bottom right corner of the screen to bring up the map options screen, then choose "Report a problem".

Thanks. I missed it with the small, gray-on-gray text.

• Reply 132 of 490
    kellya74u wrote: »
    A la Bob Newheart: "Well, I'll just ask Siri to give me directions. What, Apple deleted Siri from my iPhone 4? Well, at least My iPhone 5 will be delivered tomorrow, right? ....Your kidding, two weeks? Honey, where's the Garmin I'll use that? It's broken? Your telling me the weight of the cord hanging from the side pulled the receiving connector out of the unit? Where are the paper maps? Bird cage, w-when did we get a bird? What am I going to do? Now honey, there's no need to stop & ask for directions!"

LOL. Classic! Especially that macho last line.

BTW, You can ask Siri for a map of Columbia South Carolina. It will show a mini map in the Siri window – – if you tap it will take you to the maps app and display Columbia South Carolina.

Dictated on my iPad 3

Ha! A man doesn't have to embarrass himself by stopping and asking for directions… He can have his personal assistant do that for him!
  • Reply 133 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

What a bunch of cry babies! This is Apple's first maps app, so why do you expect it to be on par with Google's whose been doing it for years? Trust that Apple will get things right over the the course of a few months to a year.

A few months? A year? In what way does that help me if I need to navigate to somewhere tomorrow or next week, and Apple Maps gets it wrong?

I expect it to be on a par with Google's app because Apple has removed the Google app and replaced it with its own. Your apologism is risible. Why should users simply keep quiet and accept an upgrade which effects a significant downgrade to a core feature?

• Reply 134 of 490
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    MAPGATE

Apple should've waited another year.

I really hope Google releases a standalone Google Maps app for iOS and save Apple's ass.

A data set for maps gets better with usage. Had Apple waited a year without any significant usage, the maps data set would be the same a year from now As it is today.

Likely, Apple maps usage will go up and Google maps usage will go down -– so that a year from now the results from the two apps will be closer together.
  • Reply 135 of 490
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

Yeah, not liking the new maps, I now live on a street that no longer exists and a mall that was torn down a couple of years ago is back.

This is what I have noticed as well. The data is very old. That is something that they should have known was going to be a problem. Could they not have purchased current data somewhere? Google, Yahoo, MapQuest all have current data. Where do they buy theirs from?

• Reply 136 of 490

Apple hubris got in the way. They messed up they should of waited. Google Maps is not just about a piece of data is takes man power and lots of it. Unless apple wants to hire drivers to drive around for 5+ years than imaps will always be behind google maps. 

Street view not only collects pictures but road signs and business names. So next time google maps tells you that tine little street in x town is a one way lane, thank the street view car that drove and picked up that sign.

One more area where Apple maps are screwed, google maps knows everything that google search knows, they share the same database. While apple maps is connected to crappy yelp search, google maps is powered by google search. So when google maps knows that x building that use to be "casa bonita" is now "petes deli" its because Google maps crawls website just like google search does. That in combination of google places is why no one beats google on updated business listings. 

Of and street view don't get me street view. Which has now turned into:

Business view 

Education building view

Government building view 

Museum view

Park view

Ancient structure view

Google maps data puts every other map/geo product to shame.

Google Maps is the holy grail and is increasing at a rate Apple can't match. 

Google map maker? Don't get me started.

There are two places where google can't be touch when it comes to sheer data points. Youtube and Maps. And the Map with the most data wins. Apple you screwed up. 

• Reply 137 of 490

Nice looking maps, but I'm disappointed so far. In my area, relative to Google, maps are seriously out of date, no traffic data, degraded aerial imagery (although better than Google's was until a few months ago), and, of course, no street view, which I did use. All except street view, as far as I can tell, are available on maps.google.com.

I'm curious how much this was a forced move on Apple's part, either due to licensing issues or perhaps because it was the only way to get turn-by-turn in their own maps app. I'm also curious whether they knew the extent of the issues and resulting complaints, what their strategy will be to address them, and how fast the app performance will improve.

• Reply 138 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

Yeah, not liking the new maps, I now live on a street that no longer exists and a mall that was torn down a couple of years ago is back.

This is what I have noticed as well. The data is very old. That is something that they should have known was going to be a problem. Could they not have purchased current data somewhere? Google, Yahoo, MapQuest all have current data. Where do they buy theirs from?

TomTom apparently. That's what the app says.

• Reply 139 of 490

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

How should someone go about fixing a bug or missing data in Apple Maps? I don't see a way to report problems or submit new data?

They said they use Open Street Map for some of the basemap data.

You've already answered that question. Fix it yourself at the source.

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Like this:

Right! The latter is a valid complaint, the former is not.

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

My complaint is that my hometown doesn't exist on Apple Maps. It is simply not labelled - despite a nearby village being clearly labelled. Is that legitimate enough for you?

Not really. Add it yourself. Who better to do it than a native?

• Reply 140 of 490
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I hoped they'd fix maps before release. I always take Kyoto as an example. It's a big city, but it looks awful on maps.

It's a real shame. I hope google soon releases googlemaps for iOS with streetview.

Apple has a LOT of work to do.

Google has the power of their search algorythm on their side, I'm not sure Apple can beat them on that.

They can beat them on map clarity, but they first have to concentrate on adding data to their maps.