Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 201 of 490

I really like the new maps. It looks really good and loads significantly faster than the old maps. From what I'm reading from others, the 3D map isn't comprehensive, but for the places I've looked at (including my own), it looks really good. The speed of this app is really noticeable compared to the old maps.

• Reply 202 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Gosh how did we ever get around pre 2007? Nobody's perfect, stop belly aching and go into a 7-11 and buy a map. It's not that difficult.

How did you make phone calls pre-2007?

Why not go back to your RAZR?

• Reply 203 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Why isn't anyone stating the obvious here? This is all about the Apple vendetta with Google. They are trying to push Google off the iPhone as punishment and it's costing me, an Apple user. I don't appreciate it.

This is the truth.  Apple claims to take care with making major changes to the iPhone but then rips out one of the most important apps on a smartphone - putting in it's place a much inferior version.  It's a detriment to the platform as a whole, iOS products, and a slap in the face to their customers.  That's to say nothing of their intentional delaying/blocking of competing Google services on iOS (e.g. Latitude for 2 years, Google Voice for a year, and Voice search currently).  Their condescending explanation is that they are preventing users from getting confused.

Hopefully Google releases a full Android-calibre version of Maps for iOS (even though other apps won't be able to leverage it); because Apple is unlikely to ever match it in quality.  To get some idea of the effort that goes into maintaining Google Maps, I'd recommend checking out the recent article How Google Builds Its Maps - and What It Means for the Future of Everything by The Atlantic - http://goo.gl/10cE7

• Reply 204 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So then neither Apple nor Google should have released any sort of maps until they were done. Neither service should exist now.

That is a terribly silly argument. I am sure you know that. Please stop.

• Reply 205 of 490
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    You're kidding, right?

Nobody's perfect, go buy a map??

LOL

Not in this market. That "nobody's perfect" excuse can cost tech companies A LOT.

No I am not kidding, people rely way too much on technology. How many idiots have died because they listened to what their GPS told to do versus what common sense would've told them. Despite having a smartphone with turn by turn navigation I still use paper maps. Hagstrom has never let me down.
  • Reply 206 of 490
    muppetry wrote: »
    Nice looking maps, but I'm disappointed so far. In my area, relative to Google, maps are seriously out of date, no traffic data, degraded aerial imagery (although better than Google's was until a few months ago), and, of course, no street view, which I did use. All except street view, as far as I can tell, are available on maps.google.com.

I'm curious how much this was a forced move on Apple's part, either due to licensing issues or perhaps because it was the only way to get turn-by-turn in their own maps app. I'm also curious whether they knew the extent of the issues and resulting complaints, what their strategy will be to address them, and how fast the app performance will improve.

They'll just put Eddie Cue in charge of the maps app and backend,
  • Reply 207 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

6. If Apple rejects a Google Maps app for iOS then, well that would not be a good thing for anyone...

They won't reject the app.  If the press on this is bad, it would be a blip compared to the firestorm that decision would cause (and rightfully so).

• Reply 208 of 490

Quote:

So Google Maps is still in beta, according to you, and will be in beta for a few more decades?

So then neither Apple nor Google should have released any sort of maps until they were done. Neither service should exist now.

They should have waited until it was on par with the competition. 

Apple hubris got in the way. They messed up they should of waited. Google Maps is not just about a piece of data is takes man power and lots of it. Unless apple wants to hire drivers to drive around for 5+ years than imaps will always be behind google maps. 

Street view not only collects pictures but road signs and business names. So next time google maps tells you that tine little street in x town is a one way lane, thank the street view car that drove and picked up that sign.

One more area where Apple maps are screwed, google maps knows everything that google search knows, they share the same database. While apple maps is connected to crappy yelp search, google maps is powered by google search. So when google maps knows that x building that use to be "casa bonita" is now "petes deli" its because Google maps crawls website just like google search does. That in combination of google places is why no one beats google on updated business listings. 

Of and street view don't get me street view. Which has now turned into:

Business view 

Education building view

Government building view 

Museum view

Park view

Ancient structure view

Google maps data puts every other map/geo product to shame.

Google Maps is the holy grail and is increasing at a rate Apple can't match. 

Google map maker? Don't get me started.

There are two places where google can't be touch when it comes to sheer data points. Youtube and Maps. And the Map with the most data wins. Apple you screwed up. 

• Reply 209 of 490
    deleted
  • Reply 210 of 490
    I can understand everyone's frustration as it is always hard to take a step (or two) backwards, not to mention have something taken always from us.

Yet, I feel to expect any company not to ever make mistakes or have growing pains is a little unreasonable.

[B]Everything and anyone can and most likely will Let you down in one way or another.

Although When it comes to consumer products and services, what I find is most important is not whether they makes mistakes or have issues, but rather how they deal with problems, how fast they respond to your issues, and overall how they feel about your relationship with them .

[I]This attitude and train of thought more than anything has won me over to their products and services, and for these reasons, I have the upmost respect and appreciation for Apple. [/I][/B]

It's a shame that no other company comes close to Apple (IMO) in this category.

I have faith the issues will resolve and in time they may improve the maps app to the point wheere it will rival, if not dethrone googles maps, but expecting it to happen overnight in totality is unrealistic.

I used google maps just abut everyday. Mostly to call businesses or to find places to eat, so I'm sure when my iPhone 5 arrives I will go through some "sighs" but it is a
    Pocket computer and there is "more than one way to skin a cat" as they say.

Let's give them some time. It will improve.

I do agree there should be a google map app in the app store, but I won't expect it at the same time apple releases their new multimillion dollar map project first.

Any wagers on how long it will take Before google gets a map app released and approved by Apple?

I say 6 weeks from the iPhone 5 release date.
  • Reply 211 of 490

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is a terribly silly argument. I am sure you know that. Please stop.

Yeah, it IS a silly argument to think maps should be held back until they're "done". 

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

They should have waited until it was on par with the competition. 

Unless apple wants to hire drivers to drive around for 5+ years than imaps will always be behind google maps. 

Oh, so a meaningless Street View complaint. I get it. Why shouldn't Google have waited until they had all the Street View data worldwide before adding Street View? We'd still be waiting for that, and would continue to wait for many, many more years.

• Reply 212 of 490

Quote:

You've already answered that question. Fix it yourself at the source.

There's no need to fix it at the source. OSM has excellent data for University Park, PA. For whatever reason Apple screwed it up.

• Reply 213 of 490
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

So Google Maps is still in beta, according to you, and will be in beta for a few more decades?

lol....you are still drinking the kool-aid....had a rather large glass today huh....

as pointed out in other post by numerous people. You are defending apple to a fault! Apple just like anyother company in the world make bad decisions sometimes........that river you are floating on right now is denial .......it is not a river in Egypt! Oh kinda seems like the "it's not going to be called the iPhone 5"  thing.... :-)

• Reply 214 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

In my area it's ok, but in general it feels like a step backward. The turn-by-turn features are very welcome, but somehow I get the feeling that Apple released this too early. 

Who knows, I might warm up to it.   *shrugs*

Something I wouldn't mind seeing. 

Problem is the only way to fix a number of these problems is though plenty of user generated data and feedback. I've found plenty of errors with Google maps over the years.  Mostly stuff like businesses shown to be a few blocks from where they are actually located, or new roads missing. Nothing major like renaming a town. It should be no surprise that Google Maps is a lot better. They've had over 10 years to refine their data. Thing is if Apple waited to release maps they would never get the data they need to fix their maps.

• Reply 215 of 490

Quote:

Yeah, it IS a silly argument to think maps should be held back until they're "done". 

Oh, so a meaningless Street View complaint. I get it. Why shouldn't Google have waited until they had all the Street View data worldwide before adding Street View? We'd still be waiting for that, and would continue to wait for many, many more years.

until they are close to the competition. Usable outside the U.S. Not missing half of major cities ect..

• Reply 216 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You are defending apple to a fault! Apple just like anyother company in the world make bad decisions sometimes........

Indeed. It actually shows a lot more trust in Apple if you can admit that they're not flawless, and have faith in them to listen to their customers and put right the things which went wrong. Every organisation has to go through these issues.

The continual pretence that issues don't exist lacks credibility.

• Reply 217 of 490

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

There's no need to fix it at the source. OSM has excellent data for University Park, PA. For whatever reason Apple screwed it up.

Oh, does it? All right, then. If Apple's changing the data from what's viewable directly from OSM, there's no excuse for that.

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

lol....you are still drinking the kool-aid....had a rather large glass today huh....

as pointed out in other post by numerous people. You are defending apple to a fault! Apple just like anyother company in the world make bad decisions sometimes........that river you are floating on right now is denial .......it is not a river in Egypt! Oh kinda seems like the "it's not going to be called the iPhone 5"  thing.... :-)

So no rebuttal to anything I've said, then. Just mocking.

• Reply 218 of 490

You gotta remember when Google Maps came out we had nothing to compare it to and as years went on it got better, I think it's unfair to think that Apple could overnight come out with a Map app that has taken Google years to get to.
  • Reply 219 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I think it's unfair to think that Apple could overnight come out with a Map app that has taken Google years to get to.

It might well be unfair - but if Apple replaces Google Maps with Apple Maps overnight, that is the standard by which it will be judged.

• Reply 220 of 490

Did anyone really expect Apple Maps 1.0 to be on par with Google Maps 6.x?  Evidently many people had unrealistic expectations.  I do think Apple Maps should have been released as a beta though.  But having said that, it's working well for me in the greater Philadelphia area.  If you think it's that inferior you can still use Google Maps!