Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I went for my morning walk today and due to the lack of street view, I can't find my house, now I am forever doomed to roam these nameless streets...

.../s

LOL alright. This *is* funny.  

• Reply 102 of 259
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Apple released an app that doesn't work the way it's supposed to, but have marketed it to give the impression of the contrary, and on top of that, have taken away all means for the consumer to go back to what they had before.

No they haven't. What's prohibiting Google from releasing maps on iOS? Can you no longer buy Android phones?
  • Reply 103 of 259
    I don't understand why they didn't just play with the underlying data sources rather than try to go exclusive--- and ween themselves off of Google over the course of a year or so. I am also curious why they always seem to manage to bork wifi on all their products.
  • Reply 104 of 259
    storneo wrote: »

Seriously? All because of a map app?!
    Oh God...

Later, guys.
  • Reply 105 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I don't know why Apple decided to become a mapping company. Totally unnecessary, the Google Maps app was perfectly fine. These tedious little cat fights are what bring companies and countries crashing down by draining their talent and resources. 

Come on, use some vision. Mapping will be absolutely ESSENTIAL in the future. Think augmented reality etc...

You are talking about todays reality, not tomorrows.

• Reply 106 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd105 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have a few honest questions for users of Google Maps on Android phones and Tablets:

1. does it include ads?

No

1. is it tracking you?

Yes but you can opt out of google's location services. This pinpoints your position using wi-fi and mobile network to determine approximate location.

1. can you opt out of ads or tracking.

No ads and See above

1. would you prefer a private mapping mode?

The location service doesnt bother me, but I would try if an app came out and looked better than Google Maps.

1. is none of this a problem?

To me I dont find it a problem. No ads so that's good.

An honest question for you, since I have never used an iPhone or iPad but am interested in apple's new products, does Apple's mapping service track you? And can you opt out of that?

I don't think it tracks you as an individual or a device.  Apple has publicly stated that they do not furnish anything but aggregate user data to anyone -- they might provide something like: 300 users searched for directions to Taddish's Grill in SF...  Not Bill Jones iPhone #123456 asked for  directions from... to... on Sept 20 @ 12.23 PM.

Apple does supply two Apps that trace a device/person:

1) Find My Phone:  You have to know the device ID, own the iPhone or iPad and enable it to be traced (on the device itself).  The tracking must be refreshed every 10 minutes, or so,

2) Find Friends:  You email friends and they can opt in to be tracked by you for a given period of time -- you get their locations on a map and notifications when they move.  You never see their device ID and they can stop being tracked at any time.

Apple has its own advertising, iAD.  One of the contention points between Apple and Advertisers is that Apple will not supply them with granular information (like Google does) so they can track you as an individual.

Apple has the same contention with selling content (apps, Books, Music, Movies, TV, etc.).  Apple furnishes aggregate info -- the providers want granular info.

If I buy something from Apple, no one but Apple knows that I was the buyer and what I bought.

I have been dealing with Apple for 34 years -- and I have always found them to be fair and ethical... difficult, but fair and ethical.

OTH, Google has been shown doing and saying things that tell me they have no concern for my privacy.

• Reply 107 of 259
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes I tested everything related to the places I frequent in OC and everything was dead on the money location-wise.The ariel photography is a bit lower resolution than before and about a year or two older but it is ok.

The old Google maps app showed vacant land around where my house is, the street view showed a fence, vacant land and was taken from an adjacent street.

The new maps show some of the new houses that have been built but my house is still a vacant block.

Obviously Apple's photo's are newer in this part of the world.

• Reply 108 of 259

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Come on, use some vision. Mapping will be absolutely ESSENTIAL in the future. Think augmented reality etc...

Google: Think Gimmicks™

• Reply 109 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So those bridges should be like that? Apple is right and reality is wrong?

Yep...

...in the world according to Wile E Coyote.

Meep meep!

• Reply 110 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At least Google's service has features.

• Reply 111 of 259

Quote:

You think Augmented Reality is a gimmick ? !

• Reply 112 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Try looking up, that's where the street names are lol

No, no, no...

...that isn't an option, I can't even find out how to catch a bus!!!

/s

• Reply 113 of 259

You think Augmented Reality is a gimmick ? !

In its present and projected implementations, yes. I've yet to see it plan to be used in a situation worth using it.

• Reply 114 of 259
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

LOL@ the one dude who cancelled his iPhone 5, returned his iPad and might return their Macbook Air. image And is heading to WebOS! image

I suggest that anybody else who is outraged at Apple's Maps also immediately return all of their Apple devices and leave the entire eco-system. That is the obvious logical choice.

I don't think that anybody has claimed that the Apple's map coverage is perfect, far from it, and Apple has a bit of work to do as it's lacking in some areas, but some of the reactions are just LOL. image

• Reply 115 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

LOL@ the one dude who cancelled his iPhone 5, returned his iPad and might return their Macbook Air. image And is heading to WebOS! image

I suggest that anybody else who is outraged at Apple's Maps also immediately return all of their Apple devices and leave the entire eco-system. That is the obvious logical choice.

I don't think that anybody has claimed that the Apple's map coverage is perfect, far from it, and Apple has a bit of work to do as it's lacking in some areas, but some of the reactions are just LOL. image

For someone like me who was considering an iphone for a future phone, it's a big enough deal for me not to get it.

You must not understand the importance of mapping / gps features in a smartphone. People rely and depend on it.

Also not sure what's up with the ridiculous quantities of "LOL image LOL image LOL image " in all of your posts. It speaks to your personality though.

• Reply 116 of 259
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,223member

Quote:

Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Seriously? All because of a map app?!

No, he's being facetious. He's basically just saying Apple didn't dedicate nearly enough resources to pull this off in the time allotted--a huge blunder. Way beyond MobileMe.

• Reply 117 of 259
    hill60 wrote: »
    Yep...

...in the world according to Wile E Coyote.

Meep meep!

You forgot Super Genius lol. He should've been buying Apple stuff instead of Acme, he would caught that slippery Road Runner.
  • Reply 118 of 259

Quote:

In its present and projected implementations, yes. I've yet to see it plan to be used in a situation worth using it.

Tricky for me to persuade you otherwise as I have NDA from previous job which worked in this field way before google announced the vapourware.

So many uses, I have full confidence that it will be the number one way that we interact with computers in 10 years time.

• Reply 119 of 259

So many uses, I have full confidence that it will be the number one way that we interact with computers in 10 years time.

I have full confidence that it won't even be close. 

Driving, on the other hand… 

• Reply 120 of 259
    hill60 wrote: »
    No, no, no...

...that isn't an option, I can't even find out how to catch a bus!!!

/s

The big rectangular thing with windows and I don't mean the Surface tablet makes frequent stops catch that and use your mouth to talk to the driver.