Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 201 of 259
    Being a new service is no excuse for this kind of horrible cartography. It was in beta for a year. If that wasn't enough, they should have left Google Maps as default until iOS 7.

There is one reason I haven't upgraded my iPad to iOS 6: The Maps. I upgraded my iPhone and now regret it because, short of Google making an Maps app or using some lousy web-app, now I can't see what building my classes are in on campus. I already had Waze for navigation, I didn't need this. Thanks a lot Apple.
  • Reply 202 of 259
    I had to walk 3 miles across the west area of Boston today, after upgrading last night. It was utterly horrible. I couldn't even see the public transportation stations at the wider zoom levels, the font was antiquated and ugly. I hope that gets resolved and would love to know where I can "complain" to apple.
  • Reply 203 of 259
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

Probably the original iPad, replacing what we knew as "tablets" before.

And then the iPhone, replacing what we knew as "smartphones" before.

It was a brave move to replace Google Maps but Apple's will improve markedly in the next 12 months, as will SIRI. I really like the smooth performance of iMaps.

• Reply 204 of 259
    IF Apple doesn't get this Maps problem fixed by Tuesday Sept. 25, they can kiss their 10 million iPhone 5 unit sales number bye..bye...it'll br more like 10,000 and upgrades will dry up !

This is contra-Apple everywhere and constitutes a huge hole in their record of 'it just works' meme.... NOT!
  • Reply 205 of 259
    Remember FCPX and MobileMe? These got better over time, even though there were initially users who were unhappy when these launched. I believe the same thing is in the cards for Maps. But I do agree that it is problematic for Apple, which prides itself on having a polished product. I'm not apologizing for them, just expressing my opinion as to how this will play out.
  • Reply 206 of 259
    I had to walk 3 miles across the west area of Boston today, after upgrading last night. It was utterly horrible. I couldn't even see the public transportation stations at the wider zoom levels, the font was antiquated and ugly. I hope that gets resolved and would love to know where I can "complain" to apple.

It's a good question and there are several ways to do it:
    1. Apple's support site
    2. Make an appointment and let a Genius know
    3. Email Tim Cook with specific suggestions. Even if he doesn't read it, someone at Apple will see it.
  • Reply 207 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

...and constitutes a huge hole in their record of 'it just works' meme.... NOT!

Not sure what your message is here.

• Reply 208 of 259
    dskdsk Posts: 18member

I don't know did anyone notice the big gaps that maps introduction brought. I don't care if i have to use external map app to browse, or use in browser.

The big problem for me is the fact that other apps that use maps feature now lack in functionality: 

Example: Booking.com app now shows empty island in greece that i wanted to book so i have no idea about relative position of hotel, Mobile.de app shows me empty map just outside of munich where i could see where the car is located...

This is decreased functionality. 

• Reply 209 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's a good question and there are several ways to do it:

1. Apple's support site

2. Make an appointment and let a Genius know

3. Email Tim Cook with specific suggestions. Even if he doesn't read it, someone at Apple will see it.

I emailed Tim with a suggestion and he passed it on to a senior VP who's been in touch with me several times.

I emailed Steve Balmer once... you can imagine how that went lol!

• Reply 210 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Apple definitely did the right thing by developing their own mapping service & they should be developing their own services that constitute a core technology of the platform.  Being in charge of your own destiny is far better than being dependent on another company especially one that has the potential and size to really compete with you.  But this is poor execution on Apple's part especially for a major service like Maps. As of now the two best mapping services for mobile devices are Google (for Android) and Nokia (for Windows Phone).  If enough people get put off by Apple's solution it 1) damages Apple's reputation and trust with consumers & 2) gives customers a reason to look at competing solutions which is good for the Android and Windows Phone platform. I'm not saying Apple is doomed as a company but this definitely puts a serious chink in their armor.

That's sort of a funny comment. Have you gone into the Maps app? According to the app, it now involves: TomTom, Acxiom, CoreLogic Inc., DigitalGlobe, DMTI, Factual, Getchee, INCREMENT P CORP, Intermap, LeadDog, Localeze, MapData Services Pty Ltd, MDA Information Systems, Urban Mapping, Waze, Yelp, and about another couple dozen data sources. Honestly, that hardly puts them in real charge of their own destiny. Apple was just as much in charge of the previous app too except the data source was primarily Google. Nothing has really changed except for dropping Google.

• Reply 211 of 259

Google Maps in South Africa sucked. A lot.

The new Maps app has way more content and so far has been quite accurate.

It is true, I have spotted one or two labels which are slightly off, but that isn't a huge issue considering that on Google Maps there were just street names. No business', no petrol stations, no shops or restaurants.

• Reply 212 of 259
    pt123 wrote: »
    I am glad I have not updated to iOS 6. I'll be holding off for a while. There is no going back once you update.

Don't dramatize it! You can "go back" if you know what you're doing. That's not really the way Apple markets itself though. Having to know how to roll back your operating system that is...

However, restoring your device to an earlier version also means it may not work with iTunes correctly if you upgrade that of course. Also your device might not work correctly with all of the updated Apple apps, Apple TV, Airport base stations and others. (Just a scenario. It may or may not work. I haven't tried testing this scenario)
  • Reply 213 of 259
    Well, now that the NDA is over, iOS6 Maps has sucked for months. I would say told ya so except I couldn't tell ya so. Maybe I did say though, can't remember.
  • Reply 214 of 259
    Scott Foreskin.., I mean Forestall, do the right thing and resign now. you are accountable for this mess. I'm sure that you can get a job selling lawn mowers with that smug smirk of yours.
  • Reply 215 of 259

I'm guessing you've never been to Boston. The "T" goes everywhere (if you're into public transportation) so you should never walk three miles. Also every gate is clearly marked (remember they have to cater to sub par IQ's - common denominator) so going where you need is simple and VERY clearly marked.

You could have asked ANYONE "Where's the closest "T"" and would have gotten your destination.

There are Taxi's in Boston...

Lastly, you could have called me! :o). I would have picked you up or sent someone to pick you up and bring you to where you needed to go. Alas, it seems like you're one of those humans who can not fathom talking to the rest of us so I probably would not want to speak with you!

:oP

On a side note, I was actually demonstrating Siri integrated with the new maps app to friends and we were all profoundly intrigued by how accurate it was. In Boston! "Siri, get me directions to Stephanie's house." "Siri, get me directions to M.I.T.". Works like a charm!

Disclaimer: I don't like the resolution of the new maps app. Especially in my Weather Chanel app. I think is looks like it would by kids given crayons!
  • Reply 216 of 259
    ray bart wrote: »
    Scott Foreskin.., I mean Forestall, do the right thing and resign now. you are accountable for this mess. I'm sure that you can get a job selling lawn mowers with that smug smirk of yours.

TROLL!

I'm calling it!

TROLL!!!
  • Reply 217 of 259
    dskdsk Posts: 18member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Well, now that the NDA is over, iOS6 Maps has sucked for months. I would say told ya so except I couldn't tell ya so. Maybe I did say though, can't remember.

I had hoped from the first day that they will make it usable by GR.

• Reply 218 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKey View Post

Google Maps in South Africa sucked. A lot.

The new Maps app has way more content and so far has been quite accurate.

It is true, I have spotted one or two labels which are slightly off, but that isn't a huge issue considering that on Google Maps there were just street names. No business', no petrol stations, no shops or restaurants.

Welcome to AI - good to know about your experience.

• Reply 219 of 259
    sr2012 wrote: »

...and most of the "developers" who are supposed to be TESTING the software are not actually developers or people who report bugs/problems. They are not really TESTING anything at all. I would really love to know the actual ratio. The percentage must be staggeringly low!

I did notice Apple stopped announcing how many "developers" they have... During their keynotes.

It would be advantageous if, in order to be a developer, you needed to submit one "1" bug report per 1 year license. Just imagine how much they could accomplish if every supposed developer were to submit just one bug or improvement idea!

As I see it, Apple is operating in the dark right now. They're going by how everyone uses their device (which is monitored if you allow, and if not they ask you if they can every time you plug it in). That's "skating to where the puck is".

To me it looks like Apple is funding developer support. i.e. Zynga, Angry Birds and others. Apple even stated numerous times that "We've worked with this developer to make sure everything is optimized with ______". I wish developers would work more with Apple...

In this case though, where it's an "In house solution". The supposed "developers" should have at lest submitted something of use to Apple. Maybe "What happened to the resolution?"
  • Reply 220 of 259
    sasparilla wrote: »

They needed to, big time and they needed to keep the Google based Map app available while users helped improve the Apple data based one.  This could really do some serious PR damage right at product launch for their iPhone 5 and they could do so much better with it.

No. They do not "need to" keep Google Maps on the device, because they CAN'T! The contract has expired, and they do not want to sign a new one.

Also, just like Siri, Apple's strategy is to get people to use the new Maps, and offer their input. The more people that do this, the faster the Maps app becomes accurate. It's the very same strategy that Google used to get maps up and running well past 1.0.

Facebook, Twitter, DropBox, Pinterest... and just about every new platform and technological advance over the last few years has benefitted from it's users, their suggestions, and often tips from outside developers that use the platform.

In a years time, the Apple Maps with your help, will be FAR better than anything Google has or will have. They will be the "MySpace" of maps.

PS. One thumbs up for the above post... and wouldn't ya know it's from our favorite "D"esignated "H"itter.