Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 421 of 490
    Why don't you do that down to the street-number level for a small town and post your results here?
    Simple really!

I'm not Apple - there's only one of me, I have a day job and I suspect that Apple has a few more staff and not only that, I pay Apple my money so that they do this - you don't buy a dog and bark yourself! The original poster was implying that Apple should hire a million people to go out and check and I was just saying that it's glaringly obvious that one day spent by 100 Apple QA staff in a room in Cupertino comparing Apple Maps against Google would have told them at least some of this. That is their job, is it not, or are we to assume that their Map QA team were charged with doing nothing other than ensuring that Flyover and turn-by-turn worked nicely but that actual map accuracy really wasn't that important?

When I worked in QA we would test our applications under all conditions we could think of that a user might experience, but of course we never found them all which is why we released fixes and updates. Here we are talking about a glaring errors on UK mapping in a product found by users within ONE day of the app's release (from the BBC's web site):
    • Users have complained about the quality of satellite images in the new software (bottom)
    • Some towns appear to be missing, such as Stratford-upon-Avon and Solihull.
    • Others, like Uckfield in East Sussex, are in the wrong location.
    • Satellite images of various locations, particularly in Scotland, are obscured by cloud.
    • A search for Manchester United Football Club directs users to Sale United Football Club, a community team for ages five and above.
    • Users also reported missing local places, such as schools, or strange locations. Another screenshot showed a furniture museum that was apparently located in a river.

Apple could have given a test version to all their staff in stores across the world to run in their area, using their local geographical knowledge and report back. That, or even anything like it, clearly did not happen. We are not talking subtle errors here as shown by another example on the BBC website where Luton (a good sized town in Bedfordshire, north of London) now appears near the coast of Devon in the South-West of England!! Apple is the wealthiest tech company on the planet and, if anyone can afford the QA, it's them.

Also, the the argument that it's a V1 and Google are on V6 or 10 or whatever would carry some weight if Apple had not removed the original Maps app. Many on here infer some mapping agreement between Google and Apple that has ended but I can't find evidence of this online. There are dozens of articles saying that Apple and Google are not on the best of terms and Apple are disconnecting from Google wherever possible, but does not say that they have no arrangement. One article in the UK Guardian says that they renewed their agreement in May 2011. Either their Agreement is no longer valid so Apple had to replace their Google map app, or the agreement still stands and Apple chose to replace the Google based map with this new one.

I will get iOS 6 when I buy a new iPod touch but my iPad 1+3G won't run iOS6 and that's what I use for mapping anyway. I rarely use maps on my iPod now as it has no 3G so is often little use when I'm out and need a map. This won't really affect me very much but it seems clear from the huge numbers of comments on here and the reports of usually favourable tech reviewers that Apple has made a serious error here and there's no harm in acknowledging that.

Finally, what is a map app for? Finding out how to get somewhere is usually the reason is it not? If Uckfield is in the wrong place or Stratford-upon-Avon doesn't even exist, or Luton is now in Devon then how do I actually use this new map for its intended purpose? Telling me that it will be fixed next year but removing any Google alternative is not much help to me and is rubbing salt in the wound. Also, I might feel that I now have to check every location along the way if I'm using it to navigate as I won't know, say that Uckfield is incorrectly located if I'm not familiar with the area. Suggesting I use a Safari bookmark to a Google web page isn't that helpful as maps are integrated into Contacts and other apps that plug into Apple's mapping service. An app of mine currently on the App Store may show incorrect information now if run on iOS 6 for all I know and there's nothing I can do about it without a (probably serious) rewrite. This applies to all existing apps on the store using MapKit, which will be a lot.

I'm certain Apple will improve it dramatically and it will deliver the promise that's clearly inherent in the app, but to a) Not label it Beta and b) Remove the existing Google version does not seem the best way to go about keeping your customers happy.
  • Reply 422 of 490
    Why don't you do that down to the street-number level for a small town and post your results here?
    Simple really!

I'm not Apple - there's only one of me, I have a day job and I suspect that Apple has a few more staff and not only that, I pay Apple my money so that they do this - you don't buy a dog and bark yourself! The original poster was implying that Apple should hire a million people to go out and check and I was just saying that it's glaringly obvious that one day spent by 100 Apple QA staff in a room in Cupertino comparing Apple Maps against Google would have told them at least some of this. That is their job, is it not, or are we to assume that their Map QA team were charged with doing nothing other than ensuring that Flyover and turn-by-turn worked nicely but that actual map accuracy really wasn't that important?

When I worked in QA we would test our applications under all conditions we could think of that a user might experience, but of course we never found them all which is why we released fixes and updates. Here we are talking about a glaring errors on UK mapping in a product found by users within ONE day of the app's release (from the BBC's web site):
    • Users have complained about the quality of satellite images in the new software (bottom)
    • Satellite images of various locations, particularly in Scotland, are obscured by cloud.
    • A search for Manchester United Football Club directs users to Sale United Football Club, a community team for ages five and above.
    • Users also reported missing local places, such as schools, or strange locations. Another screenshot showed a furniture museum that was apparently located in a river.

Apple could have given a test version to all their staff in stores across the world to run in their area, using their local geographical knowledge and report back. That, or even anything like it, clearly did not happen. We are not talking subtle errors here as shown by another example on the BBC website where Luton (a good sized town in Bedfordshire, north of London) now appears near the coast of Devon in the South-West of England!! Apple is the wealthiest tech company on the planet and, if anyone can afford the QA, it's them.

Also, the the argument that it's a V1 and Google are on V6 or 10 or whatever would carry some weight if Apple had not removed the original Maps app. Many on here infer some mapping agreement between Google and Apple that has ended but I can't find evidence of this online. There are dozens of articles saying that Apple and Google are not on the best of terms and Apple are disconnecting from Google wherever possible, but does not say that they have no arrangement. One article in the UK Guardian says that they renewed their agreement in May 2011. Either their Agreement is no longer valid so Apple had to replace their Google map app, or the agreement still stands and Apple chose to replace the Google based map with this new one.

I will get iOS 6 when I buy a new iPod touch but my iPad 1+3G won't run iOS6 and that's what I use for mapping anyway. I rarely use maps on my iPod now as it has no 3G so is often little use when I'm out and need a map. This won't really affect me very much but it seems clear from the huge numbers of comments on here and the reports of usually favourable tech reviewers that Apple has made a serious error here and there's no harm in acknowledging that.

Finally, what is a map app for? Finding out how to get somewhere is usually the reason is it not? If Uckfield is in the wrong place or Stratford-upon-Avon doesn't even exist, or Luton is now in Devon then how do I actually use this new map for its intended purpose? Telling me that it will be fixed next year but removing any Google alternative is not much help to me and is rubbing salt in the wound. Also, I might feel that I now have to check every location along the way if I'm using it to navigate as I won't know, say that Uckfield is incorrectly located if I'm not familiar with the area. Suggesting I use a Safari bookmark to a Google web page isn't that helpful as maps are integrated into Contacts and other apps that plug into Apple's mapping service. An app of mine currently on the App Store may show incorrect information now if run on iOS 6 for all I know and there's nothing I can do about it without a (probably serious) rewrite. This applies to all existing apps on the store using MapKit, which will be a lot.

I'm certain Apple will improve it dramatically and it will deliver the promise that's clearly inherent in the app, but to a) Not label it Beta and b) Remove the existing Google version does not seem the best way to go about keeping your customers happy.

Two points...

You defined a solution as "simple really" -- and it is, when you are defining something for someone else to do.

You, and some others, assume that Apple removed the existing maps by its own decision.

There is some evidence that the.contract with Google ended and could not be renegotiated to the satisfaction of both parties. What if Google refused to offer turn-by-turn or insisted on ads and tracking data?

I don't. know, but neither do you. My business experience and dealings with Apple , indicates that this was not a simple, arbitrary decision to dump the old maps app.
  • Reply 423 of 490
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    Suddenly not being able to get around town at all because the new Maps app doesn't even support walking directions, never mind transit directions, here is not "good enough". Should I just sit at home for the next year while Apple gets this right?
    clemynx wrote: »
    Ad hominem
    How cute.
    Look at "argumentation" on a dictionary.
    Unable to stand an argumentation = blocked for me

djsherly wrote: »
    Blah blah blah blah
    Who gives a shit. When the thing puts a petrol station inside a hotel and gets the location of nearly every business it chooses to display wrong, and badly so, in a nation's capital, it's utility for the average person takes a complete nosedive. Canberra - garema place is even spelled incorrectly. And there's a star bucks that hasn't been there for years.
    Does Joe average really give a shit about projections? They just want to find the place they're looking for. Yesterday I could that. It's maps, right?

So, none of you actually have anything to contribute?
  • Reply 424 of 490

Just waiting for Google Maps for iOS app... until then: maps.google.com/ ;)

• Reply 425 of 490

Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

No, they could have just PAID for the license or whatever it's called from Google to use GMaps again.

… Not if Google wouldn't license it to them, which is the point being made.

• Reply 426 of 490
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,587member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

From a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to me that Google wouldn't license their maps. They derive a lot of revenue from iOS users. I think it much more likely that Apple decided to take control of a basic smartphone feature as they typically would rather than depend on a third party. It may be painful for awhile but I think it was Apple's decision, and an inevitable one whether Google had introduced the competing Android platform or not.

• Reply 427 of 490
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Wow,

Sorry i missed the intro only 45 minutes ago.  That's almost 10 comments per minute!  AI must be so happy.

I only read the first and last pages of this forum but...

I've never read more BS Apple apologist comments on any AI forum before.  You all must be reading the genius training manuals or something.  (i.e. "you're holding is wrong")

Let's face it.  Apple should have never released this update until it was at least ON PAR with the current Google Maps App.  Isn't it Apple's MO to release products and services that are not only as good as the competition, but genuinely better innovation and radically better than anyone else?  This is probably the biggest FAIL since Apple Hi-Fi.  MobileMe was more useful than iOS Maps.

I've read enough comments to know my laundry list of gripes won't make a dent in this forum, and most of my issues probably have been covered.

I just wish Apple's website (or at the very least the App Store) had a ratings and review section for Native Apps.  God, would that thread ever be filled to the brim with hate...including my 2 cents.

• Reply 428 of 490
    So, none of you actually have anything to contribute?

And just so that all of us are aware, what would be considered "a contribution" to this subject?
  • Reply 429 of 490

Quote:

There are many upgrades that people seem to overlook in Apple Maps iOS 6:

Navigation Features:

• voice activated navigation.

• voice guided navigation.

• bird's eye view.

• nearly instantaneous re-routing.

Improved yelp integration:

• Ability to simply touch the icon for a point of interest to view the yelp information.

• Ratings.

• Number of reviews.

• Relative cost (as indicted by yelp's $$$ system).

• Hours.

• Home page (which opens Safari to the page).

• "More Info on yelp" (opens yelp app).

• Yelp check in.

• "Write a Tip."

• "Add Photo on yelp."

• More Photos available.

Space Oblique Mercator projection

• 3D Flyover view (3D Satellite or 3D Hybrid views) with 360 degree views including pan, tilt, zoom.

• 3D Standard view with 360 degree views including pan, tilt, zoom.

• Digital Elevation Model (versus Terrain View).

• Ability to rotate the map to any orientation.

• Compass always shows North (see previous).

Concise, Clear Data (This is the true innovation of Apple Maps)

• Apple Maps automatically provides potential matches to typed searches.

• Street names are much more visible.

• Upon zooming out, Apple Maps displays names of neighborhood rather than every... single... street... name.

• Google traffic displays a constantly flashing unintelligible criss-cross of red-yellow-green lines.

• Google traffic doesn't display road construction or accidents.

• Business listings are very clear as details become visible at more appropriate levels than the competition.

• Key points-of-interest depicted by "garish" colors of Apple Maps provides immediate recognition of points of interest (airports, hospitals).

• Apple Maps provides a platform for developers to offer transit directions. Google proponents should prefer this "open" approach.

• Apple Maps Already Has More Business Listings Than Google.

Most of these do not work on my iPhone 4.  I just see worse map searches/map display than before along with missing features.

Someone did make a big mistake here.  I'd say Apple should have internally tested this by removing all navigation apps from Apple employee phones and forcing them to use this and get it up to scratch before putting it on the public.  To promote it as a big upgrade and feature was probably not the best thing to do.

I think the new maps has the potential to be better, but currently it is a step back.

Unfortunately, without licensing some data from Navteq (Nokia) or Google, it will take a long time to get these maps up to scratch as most of the issues are data quality related.  Perhaps they'll have to bite the bullet and do that sooner rather than later.

• Reply 430 of 490
    netimoon wrote: »
    If you like Google Maps better, you can always use it by hitting maps.google.com in Safari. And you can even make it a shortcut icon to the home screen.
    So. Why anger? Use your brain, not mouth.

maps.google.com does not work anywhere near as well as the old iOS Maps app did. No street view, very limited controls, and much slower to respond/load even using wifi.
  • Reply 431 of 490

As I said in my earlier post, the operative word here is IF. There are repeated unsubstantiated inferences in this thread that that reason that the Google version was pulled was because Apple no longer had the right to use Google's API, data or whatever. Apple may have declined, Google may have declined or both may have had differences they could not resolve. We don't know. What we do know though, is that the Google maps has been replaced by something, which at present, seems unfit for purpose.

Anything else is speculation, surely.
  • Reply 432 of 490

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

maps.google.com does not work anywhere near as well as the old iOS Maps app did. No street view, very limited controls, and much slower to respond/load even using wifi.

Huh. Guess that shows us what Google can do when left to their own devices. Literally.

• Reply 433 of 490
    The Yelp integration is nice, but I notice that if you go to Yelp information from the map, then choose "get directions", it takes you back to the map app and generates the route, but has a different style of instructions without voice.
  • Reply 434 of 490

I've started a discussion on Apple's Support Community if anyone wants to rant there.

Couldn't find a better place to do it but there.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19669206#19669206

• Reply 435 of 490

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I've started a discussion on Apple's Support Community if anyone wants to rant there.

You're complaining about things you can't know, claiming they're not doing things you can't know they're not doing… 

• Reply 436 of 490
    What Apple fails to realize is that a LOT of work goes into doing maps correctly.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/09/how-google-builds-its-maps-and-what-it-means-for-the-future-of-everything/261913/

Apple should NEVER have allowed their agenda to screw Google take precedence over taking care of their customers. They released a product that is missing features that I relied on every day. Even the biggest iSheep here have no way to justify or spin this.
  • Reply 437 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're complaining about things you can't know, claiming they're not doing things you can't know they're not doing… 

Oh, I'm sure they have something in the works, they wouldn't have released the App if they didn't.  But as for now, it's awful and they need to hear it from their users.  And We're not going to wait years for it to get up to par.

My comments are no better than most people do on this site.  At least by voicing my dissatisfaction on an Apple site could possibly catch the ear of people in the KNOW...as you say.

Squeaky wheel.  My complaints are as valid as any.  The Maps App sucks.  Apple probably know's it's not up to par, but by now, after 6 versions of iOS, they know that most people won't switch platforms at this point and they've got us by the balls. I'd rather speak up than just apologize for Apple, like nearly half the comments on this thread.

• Reply 438 of 490

Funny

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

For all those that think Maps is a brilliant App.

• Reply 439 of 490

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The Yelp integration is nice, but I notice that if you go to Yelp information from the map, then choose "get directions", it takes you back to the map app and generates the route, but has a different style of instructions without voice.

Yelp actually takes you to maps.google.com in the Safari browser, not the supplied Maps application.

• Reply 440 of 490
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »

Yelp actually takes you to maps.google.com in the Safari browser, not the supplied Maps application.

Not on my iPad and iPhone. It goes back to the map app.