Google's Schmidt offers strong words regarding Apple Maps flap

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Eric's a little pissed that Apple had the balls to sever ties with his bullshit ad company. 

That happens to do maps. 

If maps were all that consumers cared about, Apple wouldn't have sold over 5 million iPhone 5 units in the first weekend (with more to go toward that number, apparently.)

He does not sound that pissed. Nor does he have a reason to. What did you expect him to say after all? "Oh, what a wonderful decision it was for Apple to forsake our services?" :)

• Reply 62 of 137
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google is estimated to get just 2% of their revenue this year from iOS device ad searches/delivery.

As it currently stands the impact of even a total banning of all Google products across all iPhones and iPads would hardly be felt. Apple mobile users contribute little to their bottom line at the moment. The way forward is more important and Google better have plans in place on how to include Apple users even if Apple doesn't officially support them.

2% from just a single vendor's products that include the 50 trillion activates per day of Android and 95% marketshare and business world dominating Windows desktop that people typically spend 40 hours a week in front of? And you don't think that 2% from a single vendor's tablets (that are only 2 years old), their single smartphone and their personal media player isn't an impressive number?
  • Reply 63 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemmer View Post

Well, if that's the case then don't use directions or turn by turn. I use street view to see specifically where something is. When in a busy shopping strip not everything has a prominent premise number. Or when travelling its a good way to see specific landmarks. Or see what a hotel location looks like. It may look like a waste of time for you but it's not for others. How about you think how others interact with sometime rather than give your own biased opinion.

Most people I know thought it was cool when it came out but nothing more ... certainly not a deal breaker or a reason for them not to upgrade.

I don't miss street view at all. I used it every now and then out of curiosity, but when I really need to get somewhere I rely on good old 2d. I prefer Apple Maps over Google maps. I'm glad Apple made this move. They will work out the issues brought to light overseas but as a US resident I find the new app to be a better implementation for my daily needs and a solid experience overall. 

• Reply 64 of 137
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google is estimated to get just 2% of their revenue this year from iOS device ad searches/delivery.

As it currently stands the impact of even a total banning of all Google products across all iPhones and iPads would hardly be felt. Apple mobile users contribute little to their bottom line at the moment. The way forward is more important and Google better have plans in place on how to include Apple users even if Apple doesn't officially support them.

Can't you F**** read! This is from you BS link!

Munster estimates that Google will generate about $4.5 billion in gross mobile revenue in 2012, the lion's share ($4 billion) from search ads and the rest ($500 million) from display. He believes that iOS is likely to remain the biggest or close to the biggest source of that revenue, generating roughly 40% of the total (or $1.6 billion). Assuming Google keeps half (after subtracting so-called acquisition costs), iOS would generate about 2% of Google's total revenue in 2012.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    Just drove from Florida to North Carolina using the maps and had no issues. iHaters just blowing this out of proportion.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Sergey Brin?  Is that you?

• Reply 67 of 137
    john.b wrote: »
    If Google really derives more 4x more income from iOS than Android and Apple's maps take away location-based mobile ads while Siri takes away search-based mobile ads, then this really hurts Google far more than Eric Schmidt seems ready to admit.

Google will spin it to show that Android is increasing its revenue gain over iOS but word it to make it seem like iOS just isn't as popular as it used to be.
  • Reply 68 of 137

this graph  basically says it all about web surfing via mobile.  (% ad impressions via chitika)

If you're not aligned with the iOS model, you're missing the revenue.

This is growth in a 'dead quarter' for Apple.

an Unrefined Maps app (which seems to do fine in Metro Mpls/StP) will not invert this pie chart.

And if the stories in China are true, Apple seems to have a better mapping solution there (better to woe the new market).

Google's issue is that they feel an 'open internet' needs to point all roads to them.

My issue is that the 'internet' will be a dumb pipe.  Search will revert back to what search used to be, and all these value ads will become 'apps'

behind a paywall, that will be micropaymentized either by the user or the an advertiser.   Apple's model provides for both, Google's, not so much.

The key thing for Apple is that they they are purer in their HW deployments than the OEM vendors (who load crapware on because they need to to raise revenues), where as Apple is all about raising brand awareness.

Apple more than any organization is quite 'eastern' in it's view... this is not a 3 month race to profits, it's a 500 year marathon to impart a philosophy on technology.

• Reply 69 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2% from just a single vendor's products that include the 50 trillion activates per day of Android and 95% marketshare and business world dominating Windows desktop that people typically spend 40 hours a week in front of? And you don't think that 2% from a single vendor's tablets (that are only 2 years old), their single smartphone and their personal media player isn't an impressive number?

Impressive has nothing to do with it. The removal of Google Maps in the latest iOS6 release will have a negligible, nearly un-noticable affect on near-term Google revenues if the estimates are correct.. Much less than the 2% total flowing from all Google products on iOS devices, most of which are still in play.

• Reply 70 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Just drove from Florida to North Carolina using the maps and had no issues. iHaters just blowing this out of proportion.

Your IP address says you're in France .... ;-)

• Reply 71 of 137
    Schmidt: What Apple should have done was steal our app completely instead of trying to design their own unique one. That's how we do things here at Google.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    I mentioned in an a thread a couple of days ago, that Apple is gearing up for the "real" tech lawsuit of the early millenium: Apple vs. Google.

They're divesting the need for Google and it's services on any and all of their devices. While many are assuming Bing or Yahoo, I'm betting Apple making a play for Wolfram Alpha, which powers a good portion of Siri.

The "computational knowledge engine" and future of getting straight answers without ads: [URL=http://www.wolframalpha.com/tour/what-is-wolframalpha.html]Wolfram Alpha[/URL]
  • Reply 73 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

...Assuming Google keeps half (after subtracting so-called acquisition costs), iOS would generate about 2% of Google's total revenue in 2012.

Of course I can read. Didn't I say the same more than once, that roughly 2% of Google revenues can be traced back to iOS devices? The loss of maps alone on iOS won't even take that smallish 2% away. This is all about posturing for future revenue streams rather than current income.

• Reply 74 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Munster estimates that Google will generate about $4.5 billion in gross mobile revenue in 2012, the lion's share ($4 billion) from search ads and the rest ($500 million) from display. He believes that iOS is likely to remain the biggest or close to the biggest source of that revenue, generating roughly 40% of the total (or $1.6 billion). Assuming Google keeps half (after subtracting so-called acquisition costs), iOS would generate about 2% of Google's total revenue in 2012.

hold on... Google has a lot more than mobile in it's stable.  The 'rest of the internet' is generating a lot of business for it.  It's generating nearly 60Billion in revenue (so mobile is less than 10% of that), so  1.6 Billion is roughly 2.5% of the big Google $$ pie.

But Mobile will double if not triple in major markets now, and will likely fully disintermediate PCs in developing countries (in 3 years, when 8" iPad Minis are $100 , that will be the standard 'personal device', especially if 'tethering' to your $150 4G phone is a common 2nd/3rd world service).  

That's the win for Google and Apple and Samsung and Microsoft.   

Base (<10mbits/sec) Bandwidth and HW (phones and pads) will go to $0 in price.  In 3 years, it's all about the services and driving eyeballs into the 'cathedrals' and 'bazaars.'    Apple-i*/GoogleApps/AmazonPremium/MSOffice365.    All roads lead to those.

Maps... pfft. Ads.  meh. the end game is much much bigger.  

• Reply 75 of 137

Traffic on google maps  - Apples graphical approach already superior 

• Reply 76 of 137

Ef Google. I may switch to Bing now on my iPhone.

Market Share doesn't mean anything if you don't make money on your OS. How many of these Android devices can use 4.1 or even 4.0? All iphones sold in the last 3 years can use ios 6 in some way.

• Reply 77 of 137
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What was Apple supposed to do? Google would not let them have key features and wanted an extortionate amount of money. Serving their customers meant developing their own app and getting it up to date as quickly as possible (and many people have already reported that some of their complaints have been fixed). Apple would have been crazy to allow Google to control iOS the way Google was trying to do.

I don't think any of us know what Google was charging Apple for Maps. For all I know Google could have been paying Apple just like they do to have Google as default search in iOS.

I would have been happier with the new Maps had Apple really developed it entirely in house the way Google did (exception being the satellite imagery), but instead they are putting it together with a bunch of other third party data sets which they have no control over and have no quality control other than end users pointing out mistakes. It looks like an unmanageable mess that will need to be replaced again very soon. And speaking of messes, why did they license such crap for imagery? Oh, that's right Navteq is owned by Nokia which is a puppet of Microsoft. So now we have to have crap data.

• Reply 78 of 137
    Why do people automatically assume Apple pays or paid anything to Google in order to use their maps? The service is free on the web, anybody can use it! If you want to believe that Apple customers are somehow an exception and Apple has to pay for our Google Maps use, then please cite some hard evidence, because otherwise that belief is pure nonsense.
  • Reply 79 of 137
    Like many others I'm not very happy with the new Maps app, but it really annoys me when I hear people moaning and complaining to get Google Maps back! Stop whining and give it some time! Part of the reason Google Maps became so widely accepted in the first place was because of the iPhone. With millions of iPhone 5 sold and millions more upgrading to iOS6, it's only a matter of time before Apple's map become as good as Google's map.
  • Reply 80 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

You do realize that you've been able to get an iPhone for free for a while now too? So the argument about market share based on free phones seems kind of weak and pathetic now.

Free Android phones have been around much longer than free iPhones and likewise, Android phones are frequently part of buy-one-get-one-free deals, arguably better than a single free phone.

The argument is not weak and pathetic, but it is becoming increasingly irrelevant.