Google's "iLost" Motorola ad faked an address to "lose" iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 101 of 277
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    so if I'm understanding you all correctly...everyone else is wrong...Apple is right?
    I guess it's possible...though unlikely.

In this one case it is true. If you made that search from Manhattan, you are most likely trying to get to Brooklyn. Is it your contention that you are most likely trying to get someplace that does not exist?
  • Reply 102 of 277
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And if Google Maps gives you directions to Peter Pan's Neverland by telling you travel through the gumdrop forest on the yellow brick road does before stepping though the looking glass does that it a real place?
    You must also think this is the best route to get from Point A to B because Google Maps says so.
    For **** sake! There are plenty of legitimate things to compare Google Maps to Apple Maps where Google outright wins but to force an argument that maps that have false addresses are better simply because they include them is fucking unreal.

Calm down with the profanity! I know some people get passionate about this tech stuff but it isn't worth blowing a fuse over. :)

For the record (in my experience), Nokia/Navteq have provided the best mapping solutions I've ever used and the services Nokia offer beat anything Google does on Android any day (Nokia Maps is a massive draw to me and my next phone will most likely be a Lumia 920 because of that).

Google maps gets things wrong. Its far from perfect and has issues just as Apple have been lately.
  • Reply 103 of 277

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ba ha ha ha ha! That's just so artfully done… image

• Reply 104 of 277
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Losing Google's YouTube App on iOS:

No biggie...we don't have to watch Gangnam Style

Losing Google Maps on iOS:

Millions of users in the Apple community disoriented...Apple, this is a monumental and fundamental part of what makes the iPhone or any smartphone a fledging Internet communications device. We have become so dependant on this in our daily lives and we take google maps as a feature that we pay for on iPhone having paid 1000's of dollars on products.

When the first iPhone came out, google maps was a primary feature and since then it always has been for millions of us. Now... Suddenly this smartphone is not so smart after all is it?

All we as customers want is some official statement regarding the situation so we can make calculated decisions in our own lives. The majority of users don't care about your beef with Google... We just want to know what's going to be done about this fiasco of epic proportions.

What kind of "official statement" do you want? They've already made it. Apple is obviously aware of the situation, improving it, and spending a ton of resources doing so. Are you naive enough to believe they will reverse course and re-instate Google maps after all resources they poured into this and their reasons for doing so? Or do you want someone from Apple to come to your house and bake you an apology cake? What exactly do you imagine will be done about this 'fiasco of epic proportions" (lol). It will improve over time, and eventually the whining will peter out and and stop. Meanwhile, people will move on with their lives and this will become a non-issue (like it is for 99.9% of people using the new maps). I'm not sure what kind of statement you want, or what exactly you think it going to happen apart from the obvious. Mapping the planet is..complex. There's no magic bullet. The online noise machine is having a blast eviscerating Apple about this and sensationalizing it as much as possible for obvious reasons, but out in the real world the majority of people are using it just fine. Most of the people behind the bitching are people who will never use Apple maps anyway, despise Apple with a passion, and now have a new hobby. Most of us have some perspective and realize the massively difficult task of what Apple is doing, and that it will take time. 

• Reply 105 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Lol, you think they didn't. Answer this then. How did they happen upon address no one would have searched for naturally?

By using their computers to search for discrepancies between the databases, which along with an address would store the coordinates, and then choosing one of the discrepancies that was located in a highly populated area like NYC in order to make a meaningful (even if misleading) impression on the greatest number of people.

• Reply 106 of 277
    I plan to give up Google, already have Flash, I won't buy from Amazon. Anything else?
  • Reply 107 of 277
    wovel wrote: »
    In this one case it is true. If you made that search from Manhattan, you are most likely trying to get to Brooklyn. Is it your contention that you are most likely trying to get someplace that does not exist?

everyone I know who is attempting to get to any borough from another borough enters the borough...if I entered that address while in Manhattan I'm attempting to get the some place in Manhattan...

Truthbetold it was deceptive only that it's an unlikely search...but all this BS about making up an address and underhanded and other BS FUD everyone loves to spread is ridiculous.

And based on a few posters here it seems Apple have already fixed this "nonexistent" problem.
  • Reply 108 of 277
    What Google did wasn't dishonest and it wasn't an act of desperation. Apple Maps should have known the address was fake and not try to go looking for it. Google Maps wouldn't have been fooled by the same trick because their map database is several orders of magnitude more detailed than Apple's is. Google was simply driving that point home. Of course, the fanboys won't see it that way, because in their mind Apple can do no wrong.
  • Reply 109 of 277
    wovel wrote: »
    I think Google is very desperate. They are losing a massive chunk of their mobile revenue. We don't know the specifics of their contract or if Apple still has to pay them for the next year, but whenever the money stops, Google loses a lot of mobile revenue.

This assumes Google made a lot off iOS maps. It is possible but not known.

I will admit that pulling something like this certainly makes you seem desperate. I am just not convinces they have a reason to be...yet.
  • Reply 110 of 277
    isheldon wrote: »
    I plan to give up Google, already have Flash, I won't buy from Amazon. Anything else?

why won't you use flash or Amazon or even Google for that matter?

I'm looking for actual understandable reasons and not because you gargle apples.
  • Reply 111 of 277
    rednival wrote: »
    This assumes Google made a lot off iOS maps. It is possible but not known.
    I will admit that pulling something like this certainly makes you seem desperate. I am just not convinces they have a reason to be...yet.

In 2011 Google claimed that made 4 times the revenue from iOS as they made from Android. The assumption would be that some significant portion of that comes from the youtube and maps apps. If it is all from ads, wow, Android is in more trouble than we thought.
  • Reply 112 of 277
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I entered the same address on my iPad without any city, and the very first suggestion that pops up is the correct city.

Whoa, it is ESP.

• Reply 113 of 277
    popnfresh wrote: »
    What Google did wasn't dishonest and it wasn't an act of desperation. Apple Maps should have known the address was fake and not try to go looking for it. Google Maps wouldn't have been fooled by the same trick because their map database is several orders of magnitude more detailed than Apple's is. Google was simply driving that point home. Of course, the fanboys won't see it that way, because in their mind Apple can do no wrong.

Apple Maps found an address reasonably close by (like less than 20 miles away).
  • Reply 114 of 277
    everyone I know who is attempting to get to any borough from another borough enters the borough...if I entered that address while in Manhattan I'm attempting to get the some place in Manhattan...
    Truthbetold it was deceptive only that it's an unlikely search...but all this BS about making up an address and underhanded and other BS FUD everyone loves to spread is ridiculous.
    And based on a few posters here it seems Apple have already fixed this "nonexistent" problem.

So again. Please tell me why you would ever be searching for that address if you did not want to go to Brooklyn? What possible reason would you have?
  • Reply 115 of 277
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    pooch wrote: »
    while i'm not championing the ad, and i do believe it is sleazy and misleading, perhaps they used that address because the address really is "an address" in the sense that if anything is ever built there there will already be an address assigned. it happens with vacant lots all the time, even if there is no structure.
    even the new york city map website says it's an address. as opposed to an address that genuinely doesn't exist (take 681 E 38th St for example, which would be smack dab in the middle of the east river.)
    edit: forgot to add that it is not lost on me that the nyc map site might rely on google maps, but on its face that does not appear to be the case.

Is it the address for the vacant lot? Just because it falls in the range for the lot doesn't mean it's the lot's address.

smags wrote: »
    Sorry, not a troll.

LL

Both Apple Maps and Google Maps are try to search in your area unless you specify another locale. Nationwide, I would expect there would be a lot of West 15th Streets. You need to narrow it down by being in the general area or specify a city or state.
  • Reply 116 of 277
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jragosta wrote: »
    And here's the REALLY funny part. I just typed "315 E 15th in Manhattan" (which is exactly the way they describe it in the ad) into my iPhone 4S with iOS 6 and it gave me the location of the NYC park at the corner of 2nd Ave and 15th St. So the address that Google was complaining about gives the same location that Google gives.
    So now, when people enter that address into their iPhone to see what's going on, they can immediately see that Google is lying.
    Um, I'm pretty sure Apple fixed this as soon as that ad appeared.

However, it is funny that Google would actually spend the ad dollars on something that they should have known Apple would correct the instant they became aware of the ad, thus making Google look like they were lying, whether they were or not.

What a bunch of Droids.
  • Reply 117 of 277

I'm with RedOak and GTR. I changed my search engine on my iPhone and computer browser from Google to Bing. Google can go pound sand.

• Reply 118 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

I agree. Try "coney island, brooklyn" with or without the comma. Gives you a bizarre location in Brooklyn, miles from Coney Island.

I don't know why Google/Motorola was stupid enough to use a fake address. There are plenty of real ones that don't work.

Yeah, like inputting "Columbia, SC" and getting Santiago de Cali in the country of Columbia.

Try searching for "Columbia, SC" in iOS 6 maps today... It returns the correct location... See how easy that was [for Apple] to fix?

• Reply 119 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Try searching for "Columbia, SC" in iOS 6 maps today... It returns the correct location... See how easy that was [for Apple] to fix?

1 down, 7,589,532 to go.  ;)  I kid, I kid.

• Reply 120 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

maybe I am missing your point, but you are saying that Apple maps should have known this address was fake and not go looking for it, yet initially Apple maps didn't find it.  However, the other mapping engines did go looking for and find this "fake" address.  This sounds very backward.