Google's Schmidt offers strong words regarding Apple Maps flap

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    cpsro wrote: »
    Bill Gates is retired.
    How can you blame Apple for lousy Android-based hardware?
    Since when did Google offer to license to Apple its services at a reasonable price and without the privacy invasions?

Meant software. I'm blaming Apple for lousy Apple-based software. Like Ping and MobileMe. People defending Maps here is ridiculous- in that somehow "it's gonna get better" is acceptable.
    It's not.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    postulant wrote: »
    Love the elementary logic...

lol@ waiting for wider adoption of iOS 6.
    I see what you mean about adoption. The last numbers I saw were 20%, And i see as of today its more like 60%. So let me amend that Google is waiting for people to use Maps for a few weeks, to see whether the reported user dissatisfaction is media hype or actual.

Nobody is going to switch to Android for maps (well very few anyway), especially given the alternatives on the iPhone.

As for the elementary logic, well, whatever, sometimes the most effective solutions are the simplest. As I said before, Google is not foolish enough to believe Apple customers will abandon the platform over Maps, and they need iOS users far more than Apple needs them, missteps with Maps or not.

Whether Googles strategy will be effective or not is irrelevant, the fact is Google has to be planning something more than just sitting around enjoying the screws being tightened on Apple by the media.
  • Reply 123 of 137
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know?" Schmidt remarked. 

Nothing useful, since you got booted from Apple's board.

• Reply 124 of 137
    This thief, Eric Schmidt, has the balls to brag about Android's success! He sat on Apple's board and quietly took notes and ripped off the iPhone's features wholesale. That's why Steve Jobs hated him and Google with a passion. Why would Schmidt expect Apple to continue helping it's direct rival?
  • Reply 125 of 137
    cylack wrote: »
    This thief, Eric Schmidt, has the balls to brag about Android's success! He sat on Apple's board and quietly took notes and ripped off the iPhone's features wholesale. That's why Steve Jobs hated him and Google with a passion. Why would Schmidt expect Apple to continue helping it's direct rival?

I've seen nothing released that proves he did just that and looking at the Android project's initial copying of the BB, Google's timeframe to copy the iPhone after it was announced, and how long it's taken Google to make Android come even close to the 2007 iPhone's responsiveness if it has was stealing IP he wasn't doing a very good job of it.
  • Reply 126 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Yeah, fire the head coder responsible for the existence of iOS because one app isn't up to the standards of a tiny minority and causes bad press for a single month.

Great idea. Almost makes me think you have a hidden agenda for wanting this to happen, but no, that can't possibly be the case.

LOL ... Well said. Why do we even respond to these jerks eh?
  • Reply 127 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've seen nothing released that proves he did just that and looking at the Android project's initial copying of the BB, Google's timeframe to copy the iPhone after it was announced, and how long it's taken Google to make Android come even close to the 2007 iPhone's responsiveness if it has was stealing IP he wasn't doing a very good job of it.

I agree they have done a crappy job but that's what happens when you bolt a touch interface on top of an OS design for two thumbs and a tiny plastic keyboard in a hell of a hurry.
  • Reply 128 of 137

Quote:

It is doubtful we'll ever have proof unless there is a lawsuit, but it's convincing enough for me that Jobs believed Apple had been ripped off -- and kept the iPad secret from Schmidt to keep Google from stealing that too.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1375121/In-The-Plex-New-book-Google-released-fall-China-Steve-Jobs.html

• Reply 129 of 137
    shadash wrote: »
    It is doubtful we'll ever have proof unless there is a lawsuit, but it's convincing enough for me that Jobs believed Apple had been ripped off -- and kept the iPad secret from Schmidt to keep Google from stealing that too.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1375121/In-The-Plex-New-book-Google-released-fall-China-Steve-Jobs.html

Oh, I can see with my eyes Google has ripped off Apple but to suggest that any stealing of Apple's IP was done by Schmidt taking secret notes at board meetings is unfounded. Samsung has stolen a lot more than Google has from Apple and I don't recall Psy going all Gangnam Style in Apple's board room. <== An attempt to be funny but I can see how that might be construed otherwise. Not my intention, but if it I'll change it or a mode can remove it.
  • Reply 130 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    shadash wrote: »

That doesn't compute because Jobs said the iPad project was started first, then they pushed the iPhone out as a product first.
  • Reply 131 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Smart move by Apple. First Siri, then Youtube and Maps... Google search is next. I understand the strategy and fully agree. My only complaint is that Apple didn't do it sooner.

What appears to be a flop to the tech press, is really a strategic move by Apple - One that will guarantee its dominance for the next decade.

It's a shame that idiots and crooks can have such a negative effect on the value of a company's stock. The app works great, Google Maps work through Safari, and if you really think not having Street View is some kind of deal breaker, than you would probably appreciate the feature-itus found in many Android handsets. Anyone not listening to some heavy-handed blog entry is going to be fine with Maps, now or in 2-6 months.

• Reply 132 of 137
    cylack wrote: »
    This thief, Eric Schmidt, has the balls to brag about Android's success! He sat on Apple's board and quietly took notes and ripped off the iPhone's features wholesale.

Like?
  • Reply 133 of 137
    Pot, kettle, black, much? Have you forgotten this little jem from Steve?

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal."

These lawsuits make Apple look like the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylack View Post

• Reply 134 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

I'm sick of hearing this.  ........all the crap pro-Apple delusionalists keep spouting.

Reefoid,   I realize that you are an Apple hater and probably a Fandroid also.  Cool  as an Apple hardware user, I (along with pretty much all Apple users) could care less.

However, for the sake of these Blogs, we get tired of being told that we are idiots or sheep or brain dead, just because we like what we like.  See how this works, you have US, we just like Apple and could care less what you use....  But we don't really appreciate you offending us by calling us names. 

Just a thought there. 

• Reply 135 of 137
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Pot, kettle, black, much? Have you forgotten this little jem from Steve?

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal."

And how people quote it, whether they understand it or, like you, do not, is a litmus test for ignorance.

• Reply 136 of 137
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Reefoid,   I realize that you are an Apple hater and probably a Fandroid also.  Cool  as an Apple hardware user, I (along with pretty much all Apple users) could care less.

However, for the sake of these Blogs, we get tired of being told that we are idiots or sheep or brain dead, just because we like what we like.  See how this works, you have US, we just like Apple and could care less what you use....  But we don't really appreciate you offending us by calling us names. 

Just a thought there. 

Nice response, except everything in it is pretty irrelevant.

I'm not an apple hater.  I'm not a fandroid.  I have no emotional attachment to any company, I use the tech that suits my needs.  I just get annoyed when people post rubbish as if it was the truth.  Nowhere in my post did I call anybody names.  If you were offended by my post, maybe you should step away from the internet right now as you seem a little over-sensitive to me.  Or are you just offended because I have a different viewpoint to you?  That is allowed, you know.

Just a thought there.