Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 41 of 381
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    why?... the maps are not that bad... please just let this be a pr stunt...

so the "map" data (not the Satellite data/pictures) is so bad that Apple has to Apologize?... what ever did people do before the iPhone?.
    Does not everybody have a standalone GPS?.

Like Google has a chance...
  • Reply 42 of 381
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Classless response. The classy thing todo would be to pull it and put google maps back on. I'm not buying iPhone 5 till they do
  • Reply 43 of 381
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm....not sure what I think about this. Cook apologizing and telling users to use a competitors product is a bit embarrassing.
    Once you start apologizing where does it stop? Already there's clowns out there asking when Apple is going to apologize for "scuff gate" and ear pods that don't fit their ears. This is one of the curses of being at the top (in terms of market cap and profits). Everyone and their mother wants to bring you down. And every mistake or imperfection gets blown up like crazy.
    I read dozens of iPhone 5 reviews, some prior to launch and most after launch, and there was one, maybe two at most, that mentioned anything about a scuffed phone. Yet we have scuff gate and people wanting Cook to apologize for it. I'm seeing complaints that the phone is too thin and light and thus feels cheap. Yet earlier this year when the new iPad came out people bitched because it was ever so slightly thicker and heavier. Now they're bitching that the iPhone is too light. No matter what Apple does these days someone will complain about it.

It's true some people will always find something to bitch about but there are things that some people have more legitimate reasons to not be happy with a switch. iOS 6 Maps is one of them because they could still have the same iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad and simply update their phone's OS. Any new HW is a purchase they can not only return but will hopefully read up on if they are going to buy.

OS updates are much more whimsical. We tend to trust them implicitly. We don't expect features to be removed when we update. There is also the inability to go back to iOS 5 once you update, although if you pressed this matter with Apple I bet you could get them to do so on a one-to-oe basis.
  • Reply 44 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There is a button in the app to report problems. If the old app had such a button, I wish I had known about it, because updates happen all the time and businesses do move.

The Android image showed the satellite view, the ad seems to suggest that iOS doesn't offer them, when they clearly do.

So Jeff what are you saying. Tim Cook wants the Apple iphone users to be the beta testers for this not ready for prime time mapping program?

If that is the case they should have included it as a bonus program as part of OS6 and still given users full access to Google maps.

As an Apple stock holder his apology means nothing. Its offering me a drink with an empty glass.

If he truly wants people to move forward he needs to bring back the Google App period end of story.

• Reply 45 of 381
    The only problems I had with iOS 6 Maps is when updated the software on my iPhone 4. After I switched to the iPhone 5 I haven't had any problems at all.
  • Reply 46 of 381
    lerxt wrote: »
    Classless response. The classy thing todo would be to pull it and put google maps back on. I'm not buying iPhone 5 till they do

I just wanted to say thank you for not being the CEO of Apple, Inc.
  • Reply 47 of 381
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

I suppose that is a tad shorter than an earlier draft...

Quote:

To our customers, [ i.e., people who actually buy our stuff, the rest of you can shut up until you actually use our products then you can speak]

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers.

With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment [ we released the foundation for what will become the de facto standard in mapping and navigation on mobile devices, if you don't believe me just dig through the archives for all the nay-sayers that surrounded the release of the original iPod and iPad for example. Perhaps we should institute penalties similar to sports, if a journalist or analyst makes a prediction that turns out to be wildly inaccurate, they are banned from disseminating any opinion via any method for a period of time. But I digress from the topic at hand].

We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused [ a tiny percentage of ] our customers [ and those in the media who did not learn in kindergarten that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all ] and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps [ than our restrictive and exorbitant contract with Google would allow ] including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, [ and have total control over the entire user experience ] we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day [ eventually you will be assimilated ]. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations [ with nearly one quarter of those not just playing around to see what the app could do]. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps,  [ Alternative options to our previous Google based Maps App have been available for some time, and have demonstrated that features such as turn-by-turn can be provided without Google's nonsense, check out these options ] you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or [ if prefer the Google-flavored Kool-Aid you can ] use Google maps or Nokia maps [ who knew Nokia even had an online mapping solution ] by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app [ or if you are not one of the 0.1% of whiners out there you can use our new Maps App and be amazed at the progress we make over time ].

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making [ makes ] our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard [ and yes if Steve were still in charge, heads would roll, but I'd prefer to let our developers learn from their mistakes, besides, who wants to go job hunting with their latest project described as "Caused a major uproar over a few minor but glaring shortcomings"].

Tim Cook

Apple's CEO

• Reply 48 of 381
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The best solution for me would be a choice in the maps app of the background data, like safari offers in search.

• Reply 49 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

They're not going to and expecting them to do so is a bit unrealistic. I am 100% convinced it will come back as a standalone app though, and Cook's response all but seals that as he points to third-party apps.  The people arguing Apple will reject the app have little to base that on.  Last time Apple rejected a Google app the FTC got involved (Search "Google Voice App Store").

Buy your iPhone 5 and enjoy it. The Map app isn't that bad.

• Reply 50 of 381
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What makes any of you think Apple would approve a Google Maps app? Duplication of functionality has caused rejection in the past. Why would Apple even want Google Maps anymore? My personal opinion is that Google Maps is history on iOS and the drama queens here can wail and moan, hold their breath till they turn blue, stomp up and down, cry like babies, declare iOS useless now all they want. Not gonna happen.

what makes you think they won't as they already have Waze and other third party options. I'm sure Google will love to bombard you with ads on their Maps app, probably spoken ads integrated with the voice direction. "Turn right near Starbucks. Starbucks offers great coffee. Buy one, get one half off. Continue on Main Street."

• Reply 51 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm....not sure what I think about this. Cook apologizing and telling users to use a competitors product is a bit embarrassing.

I think it was a bit unnecessary too.  Simply mentioning third-party apps are available if you wanted an alternative would have been sufficient, but I am not even sure he needed to go that far.

All in all I feel his wording went a bit further than I would have expected.  Simply acknowledging that, "Hey, it's young.  It will get better" was all he needed to say.

• Reply 52 of 381
    I usually know where I am going but the maps apps are fun to play with. Apple decided they needed to make this move to their own map app but it may have been a mistake to release it at this time. I believe most iOS users feel like I do, not an important app.
  • Reply 53 of 381
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Tim Cook acted like a ceo should, Apple made a mistake, they admitted it, they are trying to fix the problem, it will get better, it will take time. Lets all move on, google maps will be a app in the app store soon. Competition=Cunsumer wins. 

So whats the next drama in the tech world?

Weve had:

google policy change is killing babies

Twitter is killing free speech 

Microsfot is dead

Apple maps is worst than satan

Any guesses?

"Steve Jobs would/wouldn't have..."

Oh wait, that one has already been used a gazillion times.

• Reply 54 of 381
    I don't have problems com Apple Maps issues.

My problem is: the future and improved version of Apple Maps (on iOS 7, perhaps) will be available on iPhone 3G, 4 and 4S or just for the most recents models of the Apple's gadgets?
    Cause I had a great map feature on iPhone 4 (and on my old iPhone 3G)... I didn't want turn-by-turn features, Flyover... I just wanted what I had!

Sorry about my poor English.
  • Reply 55 of 381
    [VIDEO] [video]

Sorry about that.
  • Reply 56 of 381
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Thank you for your humility and understanding, Tim.

• Reply 57 of 381
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

There ya' go! Stick to your guns. You'll really show Apple!

So this means that you will not post anymore until you actually get an iPhone?

Thank goodness!

• Reply 58 of 381
    We heart Tim.
  • Reply 59 of 381
    Maps is already getting better. I reported a mislocation of an address a few days ago. When I checked yesterday, the problem had been corrected. That's WAY faster than Google, by the way: I reported a bad location to them a few years ago, and after several weeks they sent me an email saying it was fixed.

I think Apple is really doing what Cook says: working overtime to fix issues. If you have a problem, report it to Apple right from the app, and it will be fixed pretty quickly, apparently.
  • Reply 60 of 381

Good on Tim/Apple to officially acknowledge the situation, very nice of him to address the crybabies that can't seem to figure out that Google Maps will still work on their iDevices.  Seriously, I hope this is the end of this stupid issue.  If you don't like the Apple maps, use the mobile Google version, you haven't lost ANYTHING.  For ME, i love the new maps, I appreciate the turn by turn directions and it WILL IMPROVE as more things are corrected by Apple.

Maybe some of you cry-sacks weren't around when Google's Maps first came out, but those weren't great, either. It's called IMPROVEMENT.

Sorry for the rant but jesus christ, you'd think that Apple took away a loved one.  It's an effing map for gods sake.  If you're too stupid to use Google mobile's maps, get an Android phone. Problem solved.