Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

145791020

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 381

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post





    There is a button in the app to report problems. If the old app had such a button, I wish I had known about it, because updates happen all the time and businesses do move.

    The Android image showed the satellite view, the ad seems to suggest that iOS doesn't offer them, when they clearly do.


    So Jeff what are you saying. Tim Cook wants the Apple iphone users to be the beta testers for this not ready for prime time mapping program?


    If that is the case they should have included it as a bonus program as part of OS6 and still given users full access to Google maps.


    As an Apple stock holder his apology means nothing. Its offering me a drink with an empty glass.


    If he truly wants people to move forward he needs to bring back the Google App period end of story.



     


    It is doubtful that you will get the Google app back -- that is not the way to resolve this problem.  To provide top quality service, Apple needs to  have access to the maps database and to limit access (to others) for the individual requests and searches.  Google has demonstrated that it is not a reliable enough provider or partner to satisfy Apple's mapping needs.

  • Reply 122 of 381
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    vaelian wrote: »
    Your analogy is flawed, Google Maps didn't replace anything.

    Sure it did. Mapquest. Paper maps.

    Furthermore, Apple's Maps doesn't replace anything, either. You still have access to dozens of different ways to find directions.
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Blah blah blah blah, meaningless corporate jibber-jabber which denigrates your company. By giving the "problem" *even more* attention, you've made an even larger issue out of it. Those who didn't really notice or care will now *really* apply the microscope. The issue was already resolving itself and Cook turns into a pu**y.

    I hope this is the last time I get to read such idiocy from Apple's CEO. 

    It's not idiocy at all and it doesn't make a bigger issue out of it. As has been explained before, ignoring the issue simply cause the iHaters to be even louder.

    Besides, I suspect that Cook has access to better PR advisors than you.

    antkm1 wrote: »
    This is my response to the people who argue that there's nothing wrong with the current iOS Maps App.

    Then you just wasted a lot of electrons. I don't think there's ANYONE who has said that there's nothing wrong with iOS. There are quite a few (like me) who say that it does have problem, but that no one has established that it's any worse than Google Maps. There are others who say that it has problems, but that's to be expected in a v 1.0 product and it will get better. But I haven't seen a single person who says that it's perfect.

    So please crawl back into your hole and take your ridiculous formatting with you.
    vaelian wrote: »
    Well, I should report that iOS 6's maps can finally return a result when I search for my street, which has been charted on the map since day 1 in the beta, BUT only if I type its name with a cedilla and a circumflex to match the exact spelling (this street is named after a city in Mozambique; my entire neighborhood's streets are named after cities in Africa, meaning lots of non-ASCII characters in street names), and EVEN THEN it still points to a location like 3 kilometers away from where I live (and 3 kilometers away from the place where the street is charted on the map, demonstrating lack of parity between the map and the database). Forget about abbreviations, incorrect spelling, or missing accentuation marks; any of those will still cause the search to fail. The fact that an app is pushed to production in this state is a demonstration of pure incompetence, I wouldn't even accept this from a newbie developer.
    EDIT: Added trivia about my 'hood's street names.

    That's nice. So why should anyone care?

    I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence that Apple Maps has any more errors than Google Maps. So far, you haven't provided a shred of evidence to back that assertion. I'm also waiting for you to provide the minutes of the meetings between Apple and Google since you repeatedly made claims about who was at fault that could only have been made if you were present at the meetings.

    allenbf wrote: »
    I know you're not asking me this question, but I believe they WILL release a Google Maps App in iOS...but not for a long time.  

    If they wait very long, they might as well not bother. Apple Maps is already very good and the rate of things being fixed will improve over time. Furthermore, the noise about this issue will die down pretty quickly.

    Even today, the majority of people don't have any problem with Apple Maps. When Google releases their own app, it will be a 1.0 product, as well, so they may have some of the same startup problems. At that point, the only people who are likely to use the Google App are the rabid Apple-haters -- and most of them are already buying Android phones.
  • Reply 123 of 381


    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

    Good point.  What did Steve say about maps?


     


    What's your point? They're doing just what he said there: OSM is their backend. 

  • Reply 124 of 381
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    <span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">That is a fantastic video!</span>

    This needs to be re-posted to everyone until the cows come home because I think even Cook needs a refresher.

    Times change. At the time, Google was pretty good at Maps for iOS. Since then, Google has shown their unwillingness to support iOS, so there's no point in sticking with them. The moment that you think you can do better than your partner, it's time to make a change. And with Google's blatant disregard for iOS users, that moment has come.
  • Reply 125 of 381

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


     


    It's the difference between this:


    http://www.davidmihm.com/blog/local-seo/apple-maps-ecosystem/


     


    And this:




     


    Things change.


     


    Google played hard ball and wanted terms Apple couldn't agree with.  They wanted to further integrate the iPhone into the Google ecosystem.  They left Apple the choice: give Google more control or start over.


     


    What Steve Jobs said about iTunes is probably more relevant.  When necessary, Apple will take the steps to move things forward, even when it isn't easy.  If anyone has the leverage and money needed to replicate and improve on the Google ecosystem, it is Apple.

  • Reply 126 of 381
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dolphyjazz View Post





    Missing the whole point. Google has already built a kick ass maps application for android. The consumer can see this at the Verizon store and stack it up next to iMaps or whatever it's called. Huge risk for AAPL.


     


     


    Yes, except the new Apple Maps App looks beautiful. It is point of interest data that has issues. People stacking the apps up to in store are going to prefer Apple Maps. 

  • Reply 127 of 381
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member


    Will using maps really help improve it? I am a little skeptical of that. So far I have only used it a few times and it steered me correctly. But hypothetically if it was clearly taking me to the wrong address I would just switch to Mapquest or Waze to get where I needed to go. I can't imagine remembering later to go back to Apple maps and report an error. Furthermore, I would be in a car at the time very likely or busy and wouldn't be able to report it at the time it happened. Do any of you really think user reported errors will really help improve it dramatically or quickly? I think people are far too lazy, forgetful, or busy to really report many errors without some sort of incentive like app store credit for example. For every 10 errors reported for example you get $1 of store credit to buy an app. Now that might actually work although there would need to be a verification process for malicious reports. 


     


    Here is another suggestion for Apple. Since they use Yelp which has a far smaller database than Google, there needs to be a simple and easy way to add waypoints to Maps from your phone or computer. Tying that in also with adding reviews to the business would also be beneficial. Waypoints like restaurants, gas stations, stores, etc.. are probably almost as important as directions on a Map app especially in an unfamiliar city so they can't ignore that defect either.

  • Reply 128 of 381
    jragosta wrote: »
    Sure it did. Mapquest. Paper maps.

    That's not a replacement, those solutions continued to exist with all their feature thus giving you choice in the cases where Google Maps failed.

    jragosta wrote: »
    Furthermore, Apple's Maps doesn't replace anything, either. You still have access to dozens of different ways to find directions.

    Yes it does, it replaces Google Maps as the core Maps app on iOS, meaning no more integration with Contacts, Reminders, Calendars, Siri, etc., and as such, deserves to be compared to Google Maps.
  • Reply 129 of 381

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


     


    It is doubtful that you will get the Google app back -- that is not the way to resolve this problem.  To provide top quality service, Apple needs to  have access to the maps database and to limit access (to others) for the individual requests and searches.  Google has demonstrated that it is not a reliable enough provider or partner to satisfy Apple's mapping needs.



    Well its obvious to everybody the Apple Maps app was not ready for public use. If Apple did not want to use Google Maps app they should have found a better third party solution while they worked on their own inadequate program. 

  • Reply 129 of 381

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dolphyjazz View Post





    Missing the whole point. Google has already built a kick ass maps application for android. The consumer can see this at the Verizon store and stack it up next to iMaps or whatever it's called. Huge risk for AAPL.


     


     


    Yes, except the new Apple Maps App looks beautiful. It is point of interest data that has issues. People stacking the apps up to in store are going to prefer Apple Maps. 



     


    Adding to Tbell...


     


    It also assumes a major motivator for people are buying phones is to replace their stand alone GPS.  People have been buying iPhones for years WITHOUT turn-by-turn navigation!  

  • Reply 131 of 381


    In my experience(which is limited)- I always had issues with the google source of maps... addresses were wrong for alot for little shops etc. Lost a lot of time due to these errors.


     


    For the Apple maps... haven't used it much but it isnt anymore quirky than any other mapping program. If I have an address is in my contacts - I tell Siri route to home etc... and it routes to home etc. Cool! Do miss streat view though.


     


    IMO - just to bring up the ghost of Apple past... IMO Steve J would not have apologized so quickly if at all. And if he said anything, would have said the vast majority of iOS users have no issues (which I bet is true... many because most dont use maps). And would have never said use a competitors application. Yes the blogs would call him 'names', but he is looking out for Apple.  Apologizing and telling someone to use alternative apps does make people(who probably never heard of this map issue) 'want' to go to Apple. They think... hey Apple admitted they screwed up and put our a crap product(whether they did or not) why should I buy Apple products?


     


    Never say your sorry regarding a products expectations.... kiss of death.

  • Reply 132 of 381
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    That is a fantastic video!


    This needs to be re-posted to everyone until the cows come home because I think even Cook needs a refresher.



     


     


    Do people really think Jobs didn't know Apple was doing Maps? He was there when they bought three mapping related companies? Moreover, Apple has partnered with 3rd parties to create its Map App. Tom Tom, Open Street Maps, and Yelp. 

  • Reply 133 of 381
    tbell wrote: »
    Do people really think Jobs didn't know Apple was doing Maps? He was there when they bought three mapping related companies? Moreover, Apple has partnered with 3rd parties to create its Map App. Tom Tom, Open Street Maps, and Yelp. 

    He certainly didn't know the state in which te app would be released to the public, and would have stepped in to stop it if he was there, because the app sucks.
  • Reply 134 of 381
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by na1ya View Post



    "The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get"





    I don't understand. If we keep using Maps, the image on the right will gradually become the image on the left? How is that possible?




    In simple terms, Maps data is based off crowd sourced info. So yes, they will get better.

     


    So this crowd sourced info is automatic? Is Apple keeping track of what parts of the world I am searching and where I am located all the time? Or is your description of crowd sourced the fact that there is a report a problem button. I would draw a distinction between simply using the Maps app and actively contributing to updating the data. If they are tracking me then that is going to be a security issue. I think they really need to define what they mean by "It gets better the more people use it".

  • Reply 135 of 381
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Will using maps really help improve it? I am a little skeptical of that. So far I have only used it a few times and it steered me correctly. But hypothetically if it was clearly taking me to the wrong address I would just switch to Mapquest or Waze to get where I needed to go. I can't imagine remembering later to go back to Apple maps and report an error.

    Actually, it happens quite a bit. If you pay attention, you'll see quite a few stories where people report that problems have been fixed after they complained.
    vaelian wrote: »
    That's not a replacement, those solutions continued to exist with all their feature thus giving you choice in the cases where Google Maps failed.

    Just as you still have alternatives for Apple's Maps if it fails. So there's absolutely no difference. When Google's Maps was the standard, you had exactly the same third party options that you have now. In fact, Apple has even more options - since Google is now a third party alternative. So you have MORE options today than you did a month ago.
    vaelian wrote: »
    Yes it does, it replaces Google Maps as the core Maps app on iOS, meaning no more integration with Contacts, Reminders, Calendars, Siri, etc., and as such, deserves to be compared to Google Maps.

    Except for one problem. Google Maps did a lousy job of integrating with the iOS ecosystem while Apple Maps does a better job. So Apple Maps is actually better in that regard.

    Oh, you mean that Apple Maps won't drag you kicking and screaming into the GOOGLE ecosystem. That's sort of the point, isn't it?



    BTW, I'm still waiting for you to provide that evidence that Apple Maps is statistically worse than Google Maps. I'm also still waiting for you to provide those minutes of the Apple-Google meetings which your posts indicate that you must have access to.
  • Reply 136 of 381

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


     


    How can he get the Google app available now?  The last report I saw said that Google themselves haven't even submitted an app yet, and won't be able to for a couple of months.  Tim going to design it himself?


     


    3 people planned to upgrade to the new phone but won't because of the app issue?  I sure hope they don't upgrade to iOS 6 then on their current phones.  Because it's the OS, not the phone.  And who hesitates to upgrade a phone because of one app?  That's just silly.  It's a PHONE.  And their precious Google maps can still be accessed via web.  It offers the SAME features at the old Google maps baked into the OS.


     


    Give me a break



    I am sure if Apple wanted to get Google Maps to work with OS 6 they could have gotten that straight out before OS 6 was released. Please don't be so stupid. These CEO's have big ego's and they don't want to concede anything to each other. They complete in the marketplace and if Larry Page can make Tim Cook eat crow for a few weeks he will celebrate that victory in private. How do you think Google feels about Apple "stealing" Google mapping software engineers?


    In fact a few days ago Larry Page indicated they could have resolved this before OS 6 was released, but Apple did not want to meet Google's terms of use so Apple balked. In the end its us the Apple the faithful customers who will suffer. 

  • Reply 137 of 381

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    So this crowd sourced info is automatic? Is Apple keeping track of what parts of the world I am searching and where I am located all the time? Or is your description of crowd sourced the fact that there is a report a problem button. I would draw a distinction between simply using the Maps app and actively contributing to updating the data. If they are tracking me then that is going to be a security issue. I think they really need to define what they mean by "It gets better the more people use it".



     


    No.  Crowd sourced in the sense that users report errors.  The only real-time data they collect, ANONYMOUSLY, is traffic information.

  • Reply 138 of 381
    jragosta wrote: »
    Just as you still have alternatives for Apple's Maps if it fails. So there's absolutely no difference. When Google's Maps was the standard, you had exactly the same third party options that you have now. In fact, Apple has even more options - since Google is now a third party alternative. So you have MORE options today than you did a month ago.

    What is the alternative core Maps app that integrates with Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Siri on iOS 6? My "alternatives" are crippled, something that didn't happen with Google Maps' alternatives, hence the flaw in the analogy.

    By the way, just to stop this already derailed train of thought, let me remind you that all analogies are flawed in nature due to being inferences from the particular to the particular; they can only be used when all the parties in a debate agree with them, and since I do not agree that Google Maps replaced anything else the same way Apple Maps is replacing Google Maps on iOS, you can not use or defend that analogy.
  • Reply 139 of 381


    The good thing is that this is a software issue.  The iPhone5 hardware seems to have drawn no major issues, merely inconveniencing users for a short time while they soon click "update OS" and everything will be dandy.  We have advanced so far yet people do not understand the concept of "early adopters".

  • Reply 140 of 381
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    So this crowd sourced info is automatic? Is Apple keeping track of what parts of the world I am searching and where I am located all the time? Or is your description of crowd sourced the fact that there is a report a problem button. I would draw a distinction between simply using the Maps app and actively contributing to updating the data. If they are tracking me then that is going to be a security issue. I think they really need to define what they mean by "It gets better the more people use it".



     


    No.  Crowd sourced in the sense that users report errors.  The only real-time data they collect, ANONYMOUSLY, is traffic information.



    So it is like, the more people fix our maps the better it will become.

Sign In or Register to comment.