NYT: iOS Maps another internet services blunder for Apple

Comments

• Reply 161 of 454
    mstone wrote: »
    Apple Maps may very well catch up and surpass the Google Maps for iOS that it replaces because that represented only a subset of the full Google Maps. As 'Soilp' pointed out earlier in the thread, Apple made the best choice among some really bad options. I agree that it will be an overwhelming challenge and they will likely never achieve complete parity with the full Google Maps for Android, desktop browsers or the Google Earth application but Apple maps will be adequate and at least they are out from under the thumb of Google in one more area.

His points are moot unless Apple Maps get Streetview. THe majority of the complaints have been about lack of StreetView.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Apple cars - coming soon to a block near you.
  • Reply 162 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

But, ignoring disingenuous ads from Google, this is a reasonable subject to debate.

I certainly haven't ignored that...

...and this thread is about Apple Maps v Google Maps. That includes every aspect of each company's mapping solutions, not just the lowest-common-denominator.

Bottom line is Apple made the best choice of some very bad options. They had a contract that would expire before iOS 7 arrives, they wouldn't have had vector maps, TbT, and would have been using a much slower back-end compared to the maturing Android and WinPh offerings if they kept with Google. There was no choice but to jump in the deep end to swim now.

If we are going to fault Apple for anything it's for not starting their mapping service sooner, not because Google started their first or because Google is looking out for its own best interest.

No - I wasn't trying to imply that you had ignored it - I was suggesting that the debate is relevant without Google's take on it.

• Reply 163 of 454
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Why do you care? What's the point?
    Tim Cook has already said Apple made a mistake, and tacitly admitted with a milquetoast public apology that Apple's Maps is not as Good as Google's web app by suggesting users use it as a result of their dissatisfaction with Apple's own.

Take a course in critical thinking. Nothing in Cook's letter says that they made a mistake, nor does it say that it's not as good as Google's app.

You might want to start by reading the letter for comprehension instead of simply pretending that it says what you want it to say.

anonymouse wrote: »
    Perhaps, but you have to consider that Google spent months poring over the Apple Maps betas to find errors.

That's what I don't get. Google has clearly been lying about this matter. First, they claim that they were blindsided and had no warning, and then it becomes clear that they've been working on alternatives for months (see their introduction of new features, for example. Those don't happen overnight).

So it's OK for Google to flat out lie, but if someone finds a single error in an Apple map, it's the end of the world (even though there are errors in Google's maps, too)?

solipsismx wrote: »
    Don't play dumb. The issue is with utility. That includes accuracy, feature set, and responsiveness.
    As previous stated Apple does wonders with the responsiveness, the UI, offering TbT when that simply wasn't possible sticking with Google Maps, and likely not having my data sold so readily, but you are ignoring the areas where Apple is still behind Google.

That's a perfectly legitimate argument - and one that I've never disagreed with. If you need street view, then Apple's Maps is inferior to Google's Maps. (personally, I don't see the value - if you know how to read a map, just what good does Streetview or Flyover do?) If that's your criterion for choosing a map, though, Google Maps is the way to go. No question about it.

But that's not what this entire maps-gate issue is about. Groups like the NYT are screaming that Apple's Maps are unreliable - without a shred of evidence to back it up.

richl wrote: »
    OK, here's the meta-analysis from Google.
    Google results for "apple maps wrong" in the past month: 2,590,000 results
    Google results for "google maps wrong" in past month: 2,240,000 results
    Percentage of top 10 hits for "apple maps wrong" talking about problems with Apple Maps: 100%
    Percentage of top 10 hits for "google maps wrong" talking about problems with Google Maps: 20%
    Thus, number of relevant hits:
    Apple maps wrong: 2,590,000
    Google maps wrong: 448,000
    (I went for "wrong" rather than "sucks" so that its a factual statement rather than an opinion. Hopefully the number of Google maps users balances out the hysteria and newness of Apple maps)

So 1 million people repeating the same unfounded assertion makes it true?

Let's see:
    jobs is god 285,000,000 hits

google sucks 98,800,800 hits

rich is a moron 5,880,000 hits

Since all of those got more hits than 'apple maps wrong', they must be more true, right?
  • Reply 164 of 454

Apple owns the maps on there ios so google can move on..bye bye.

• Reply 165 of 454

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

So the moderator on AI doesn't understand the difference between hardware and software?

So the troll on AI doesn't understand that the difference doesn't matter in the slightest? image

His points are moot unless Apple Maps get Streetview.

Your points are moot unless you get a clue. image

• Reply 166 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Have you tried doing the analysis yourself? Can you prove that Apple Maps isn't significantly worse than Google Maps?

Should be fairly easy to do a meta-analysis via Google though.

I'm not the one making the claim that Apple's Maps are inferior. The people making that claim have the burden of proof.

But, if you wish, I used Apple Maps to find 5 addresses. Each one gave me the same location as Google Maps. Therefore, my 'analysis' is that Apple Maps is perfect.

Prove me wrong.

I'm really not sure that the "prove it or you are wrong" argument adds very much to the discussion.

iOS maps is being compared to the de facto existing standard(s), and while it is very difficult to make a broad quantitative comparison, that does not invalidate sharing examples and comparing notes. Even ignoring stuff like flyover v. streetview, which is partly personal preference, it seems likely that a lot of hot air is being blown about how terrible iOS maps are, but on the other hand, numerous actual examples have been produced that show old and incomplete data. There is really not much more that anyone can do except compare individual instances, but if the counter-argument, that Google's data also has plenty of errors, is correct, then there should be ample evidence in the form of examples that iOS gets correct and Google gets wrong. I haven't found any such cases in my area, and I've looked quite extensively so that I could report errors in the iOS maps, but others may have excellent examples where iOS maps are better. I'd like to hear about those for balance.

One of the difficulties in comparing the 2 apps is the "level of detail" displayed by each.  Google Maps tends to display "All the detail, all the time -- regardless of zoom level".  Apple maps try to "focus detail appropriate to the zoom level -- by showing major roads and neighborhoods at outer zoom, then adding street detail when appropriate".

Some (not all) "examples" we have seen that show Apple maps as inferior, are just the difference in how data is displayed at a given zoom level -- you find that you get the appropriate detail when you zoom in or out.

I think that the Apple approach is more efficient and a superior user experience:  vector maps overlaid with detail appropriate to the zoom level -- as opposed to detail bit-map tiles at every zoom level.

I understand that Android Google maps is using vector maps instead/in addition to bit-mapped tiles...  but I have never seen or used this so I have no way to compare...

• Reply 167 of 454
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple Maps may very well catch up and surpass the Google Maps for iOS that it replaces because that represented only a subset of the full Google Maps. As 'Soilp' pointed out earlier in the thread, Apple made the best choice among some really bad options. I agree that it will be an overwhelming challenge and they will likely never achieve complete parity with the full Google Maps for Android, desktop browsers or the Google Earth application but Apple maps will be adequate and at least they are out from under the thumb of Google in one more area.

His points are moot unless Apple Maps get Streetview. THe majority of the complaints have been about lack of StreetView.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Apple cars - coming soon to a block near you.

I suppose that would be one solution. I personally have only used Street View a half dozen times on iOS although I do use it often on the desktop. There are third party viewers for iOS already available in the App store people can use those in the interim. I think the map location and geography errors are a more pressing issue at the moment. Once those are fixed Apple maps will be adequate for core mapping and there is always the Google mobile and regular web apps if you need more features that Apple maps does not offer. Personally I hope they improve the aerial imagery soon as it really is subpar in my opinion and that is something that is unrelated to mapping data. That is just a matter of spending the money on good high res images.

• Reply 168 of 454
    isheldon wrote: »
    This it the result of what happens when one decides to go all "thermonuclear"- Karma comes biting you in the ass.
    Vengeance is not a righteous driving force.
    Apple's mapping will never get close to Google's. Google is defined by its search and mapping engines. Who are we trying to fool here with all these ridiculous comments that it will catch up and surpass Google's ? That train left the station eons ago.

Only a child would paint such a childish picture.

The adults on this forum understand that when Google decided to turn on its former partner by competing against them, Apple had to find another source for mapping data. The only story here is that the data is less accurate in some cases. And don't pretend Google is perfect: I've had Google Maps route me into a dead end street twice while trying to navigate to business addresses, but NYT didn't write a scandal piece on that.
  • Reply 169 of 454
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post Google has clearly been lying about this matter. First, they claim that they were blindsided and had no warning, and then it becomes clear that they've been working on alternatives for months (see their introduction of new features, for example. Those don't happen overnight).

So it's OK for Google to flat out lie,

Where did Google say they were "blind-sided"? What exactly did they say they were "blind-sided" by? What specifically did they lie about?

As for "working on alternatives" they've been regularly rolling out new features for Google Maps, and particularly Google Maps for Android, for years. That all those new features or improvements didn't make it to iOS users isn't up to just Google.

• Reply 170 of 454
    I haven't really used Maps in iOS6 but I hope it improves over 5 dramatically.

Since Apple switched its database for shops and local items away from Google the maps and local search function was nothin less than completely infuriating. It was completely useless in the UK. I ended up having to use Google Maps on the browser.

I am no fan of Google but Apple's database in the UK is embarrassing.

Perspective seems to of gone out of the window with most people on this Maps Vs G Maps. Appls product is young and will mature. It's bound to have some issues.

Disappointingly the areas I have checked in the UK do not look promising for it...
  • Reply 171 of 454
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where did Google say they were "blind-sided"? What exactly did they say they were "blind-sided" by? What specifically did they lie about?

Actually it was Steve Jobs who got blindsided. He partnered with Google in a number of areas regarding IPhone. He even allowed Schmidt on the BOD, knowing full well that Google was working with Android. For him not to have realized that iPhone and Android were eventually going to be in competition with one another was perfect example of someone living in denial because of a longstanding partnership. This current break up is rather like a divorce. Both parties are going to feel some pain but from Apple's perspective it amounted to irreconcilable differences.

• Reply 172 of 454
    I hope I'm wrong, but I worry this could be apple's "47 percent" moment.
  • Reply 173 of 454

Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I hope I'm wrong, but I worry this could be apple's "47 percent" moment.

Kind of hard to use a political analogy when the consequences of it haven't even been decided yet.

• Reply 174 of 454
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member

Quote:

Actually it was Steve Jobs who got blindsided. He partnered with Google in a number of areas regarding IPhone. He even allowed Schmidt on the BOD, knowing full well that Google was working with Android. For him not to have realized that iPhone and Android were eventually going to be in competition with one another was perfect example of someone living in denial because of a longstanding partnership. This current break up is rather like a divorce. Both parties are going to feel some pain but from Apple's perspective it amounted to irreconcilable differences.

That makes a big assumption that Steve Jobs and others at Apple weren't cognizant that Android could become problematic and a competitor at some future point. I'm of the opinion Apple knew exactly who they were getting in bed with and were using Google to Apple's benefit as long as they could, but realized at some point they'd need to go. That point perhaps just came a lot faster than Apple may have projected.

Maybe Mr. Jobs even felt he could better control or at the least strongly influence Google's plans by partnering with them, making it more beneficial to play along for the moment than compete. I personally believe Steve Jobs was fully aware of Android's potential but hoped to slow things down by making it worth Google's while to do as he asked. The insult came when they did not do as he said. That made it time to start breaking the partnership.

Personally I give Mr Jobs and Apple's executive team a lot more credit for reading the market and identifying tech and wouldn't for even a moment suggest they were so clueless and ignorant as to not know what Google was working on or it's potential. IMO if they were blindsided by anything it was the speed of Android's uptake, not that Android became a competitor.

• Reply 175 of 454

Quote:

People should probably read this web page in its entirety before arguing about Google Maps one way or the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Maps

It takes a lot of work to put together a mapping service and Apple just hasn't put in the time yet. If only Tim or Scott had presented Apple Maps in the context of Google was trying to stick it to us and we had no other choice but to start from scratch and build a map solution of our own to be able to offer free turn by turn to our users. Apple Maps is still a work in progress and we need your help to make it better. If you find an error please use the 'report a problem' button and together we will make Apple Maps as good or better than any other map service out there.

But no, they had to get up on the stage and proclaim it was the most powerful and most elegant mapping solution the world has ever known. That was the blunder, not releasing it unfinished, just the hubris of claiming it was already the best.

No, the real issue is bowing down and making some embarrassing apology for issues a few users out of millions are whining about.  Leadership. That is the difference between Cook and Jobs.  After reading his biography, I came away with the distinct opinion that Jobs was an a#$hole to work with, but at least he had stones.  I would rather hear "You're holding it wrong" than hear him go blathering on about how sorry he was and point people to buy other phones until "we get it fixed".  This issue has been blown out of proportion, just like the antenna issue, and it is just silly.  "Oh no, my transit directions are gone?  How will I get to work now?  Where are my bike paths?  How will I ever find them now that they're not on my iPhone?"  If there is an inaccuracy, report it an move on.  If you would like a feature included, ask and move on, but don't cry like a baby on every blog or forum about it.

• Reply 176 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think Gruber has been calling Apple an experience company in recent years.

That makes sense. But I still would argue great hardware is Apple's biggest selling feature. If the iPhone came in a Galaxy S3 type crappy plastic enclosure I wouldn't be buying it that's for sure. I'm not that wedded to iOS.

With Apple, since the Apple ][ it has always been the "software" that sets Apple "hardware" apart from the others.

In earlier machines or peripherals *  much of the "software" was in the ROMS, PROMS and EPROMS.  This has evolved to where most of the "software" is in the OS and apps.  

* the Integrated Woz Machine on the Apple Disk ][ and the Mac

As "services" become more-integrated into the OS, they and their supporting "software", essentially, become part of the "hardware".

"It just works" would not be possible without the software to make it happen!

• Reply 177 of 454
    mstone wrote: »

Cut to WWDC 2013 with Schmidt (a la Bill Gates) on the gigantic screen greeting Cook ( who in return will welcome him with open arms) and iFans. Google will be back with their new Map App with both Street and Resident View. And all will be right in the world.
  • Reply 178 of 454
    Apple has fabulous on line stores for music, apps, and their hardware. The rest of their online services have been adequate at best. The constant rebranding and shuffling speaks to this. Apple has plenty of cash. Yahoo would make a nice fit, creating an online division separate from hardware.
  • Reply 179 of 454
    Apple has fabulous on line stores for music, apps, and their hardware. The rest of their online services have been adequate at best. The constant rebranding and shuffling speaks to this. Apple has plenty of cash. Yahoo would make a nice fit, creating an online division separate from hardware.
  • Reply 180 of 454

And all will be right in the world.

Whatever you're smoking, go find your dealer and ask him not to cross his psilocybins with his opiates.

Originally Posted by Billg55 View Post

Apple has plenty of cash. Yahoo would make a nice fit, creating an online division separate from hardware.

Okay, but why?