Starbucks app update brings Passbook support

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I still don't get "Passbook" at all. It seems we are expected to download apps from others to get their coupons in Passbook?

Why would I want to junk up my phone with numerous apps from third parties (most of which are ugly and stupid), just to get the coupons to show up in Passbook?

For me (and I think many thousands of others), this is just a non-starter.

If on the other hand, when I went into a Starbucks there was some way of them automatically putting something into my passbook that might be okay, but to have to pre-figure out which places might have "offers,"... then download the app... link to passbook ... wait ... reward?

It's just stupid and far, far too much trouble for what is essentially a crappy coupon that you can find in any newspaper.

Not going to happen.

I'm very particular about which apps I download and put on my phone. I'm not going to install some shitty ugly app just because with a lot of extra work I *might* be able to link it to passbook and then I *might* get 10% off of a cup of coffee or whatever.

what is the point of Starbucks passbook? The Starbucks app has its own payment scan

• Reply 42 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    daylove22 wrote: »
    what is the point of Starbucks passbook? The Starbucks app has its own payment scan

And how do that automatically pop up on your device when you are at a Starbucks? That's where Passbook comes in. It's saving several additional steps, steps I found to be more cumbersome than simply pulling my physical card out of my wallet despite also always having my phone with me. After only using it once it's crystal clear I will now be using my phone for payments. I've even taken the card out of my wallet (I hate carrying around more stuff than I need).
  • Reply 43 of 86
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Apple certainly makes it a pain to add things to passbook. You first need to download the Starbucks app. Then you need to add your cards to the Starbucks app. Then you need to create a Starbucks account in the app including your email and postal mailing address. Already have an account and forgot username & password? Then you need to go to their web site to retrieve that stuff. Then you need to go into the Starbucks app and select your card. Then you need to click manage. Then you need to click add to Passbook.

Adding to my previous reply on this matter the way CVS (pharmacy) does their coupons and rewards system is much better than Starbucks. They have an iPhone app but you don't need to use it. They send you an email with coupons and such and you just choose to send it to your card or print out. The email link is already pre-coded to your account so you don't have to login to get it sent.

Now, when you're at a store you don't need a physical card or the app, you can just use your phone number on file (it's what I do) and any coupons or rewards on file will be listed on their machine at which point they will ask you which ones you wish to apply. It also only shows the ones that are applicable. For instance, i just got one for $4 off any purchase over $20. If I only buy $10 in stuff that simply won't show up.

What that means for Passbook is that CVS can offer a Passbook pass from their website or via email — in other words, no app, if they choose — and when you scan your pass that popped up when you entered the store CVS will know what's on it.

This is the beauty of this system.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    twoseetwosee Posts: 58member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

if Starbucks is the only card you'll use, then yeah, there's no point. But Passbook is supposed to store multiple cards, coupons in one place. it's there for organizational purposes, and as SolipsismX mentioned, it's fewer steps to get to it.

• Reply 45 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Passbook was poorly implemented in my book. No pun intended. Not nearly enough vendors lined up to utilize it at launch, and as a result a very poor demonstration of why they think it is better than NFC. In fact Cook just simply should have not addressed NFC at all.
    Theoretically, you will be able to load store cards, credit cards, gas cards, restaurant cards, etc. and use those for electronic purchases at POS. Im like you, and the coupon thing would only make sense to most who are already using an App, like Starbucks, or a grocery store chain. And Passbook is supposed to automatically open to that store when you are in proximity to make using this payment method easier.
    Theoretically, Apple could leverage their iTunes database as one of these methods, depending on being in an apple partner store, so that you could actually charge anything to your iTunes credit card. Sort of like using PayPal. Personally, I'm not eager to load balances on cards like Starbucks, etc. I have a couple of credit cards I use for everything, and if these were made available for use with Passbook, then I would be a lot more likely to use it as a primary payment method, where I could (and that's the other big problem, as I believe every vendor has a completely different method for scanning that information -- Passbook just helps you organize it). On the other hand people give me gift cards all the time, and they rarely get used, because I never remember to bring them with me. If I could just download the app and register the card, it would sure be a lot easier to use them when I happened to be in a particular store, then delete the app after I've spent the money. And don't forget the ticket purchasing aspect ... From airlines to movie tickets -- the apps for which you are theoretically already using -- passbook will make them incredibly easy to use. I'm totally in board for that one. The problem so far seems to be that the venues who accept the tickets aren't really up to speed with the new system, and I'm not sure how widespread it actually is at this point.
    Again, I'm not sure what Apple hopes to accomplish here. It's a very small step toward a user payment system, and since it isn't a unified payment system like NFC purports to be, and just an organizational tool (which requires a lot of front end setup time by the user), I don't see this really going far, or being in any way as revolutionary as Apple suggested it would be (such claims tend to include everyone and this seems to only effect users who are already using these apps), especially in light of their comments suggesting it was a more practical implementation than NFC at this time. Once they standardize NFC, Passbook may still be useful to organize your bank cards, and all the other stuff passbook can handle now, but unless I'm missing something Important, Passbook is in no way a suitable substitute for NFC or other unified POS system.

There is no useful NFC or unified POS system out there, because there are too many competing interests. There is no real advantage to NFC. Anything it can do can be done otherwise.

I used my Passbook with Starbucks today. My wife and I went to a store near us (there are two). It worked well. I just placed my phone in front of the scanner, and within a couple of seconds, it was done. Just as fast as NFC would be.

While it would be nice if there were a lot more companies participating from the get go, it is seeing adoption. Remember that only 2% of retailers are set up for NFC, and that's a far more expensive way for them to go than give us the ability to face our phone in front of a scanner they are already using.

Bet which way most retailers will want to go?
  • Reply 46 of 86
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That is what I stated in my last post.

It says show on time or location. I don't see a way to decide if there's a choice between the two. The way it's worded indicated that there should be. Possibly that's not implemented yet.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    bikertwin wrote: »
    Actually, that's incorrect.

Passbook has the ability, through new guaranteed-delivery push notifications, to update your card in real-time (depending on Starbucks' servers).

Any and every field can be updated instantly.

Remember how they talked about updating your boarding gate in realtime at the airport? That's what this is about.

So you have nothing to worry about. Passes are very dynamic. 

It took Passbock a couple of hours to add the $25 I put into my Starbucks app. And then after we bought two drinks, it took the app a bit of time to change the balance, but Passbook didn't show the change for a couple of hours or so. I'm not sure why that is, but Starbucks does say that balances may not get updated right away. Part of it depends on the credit card being used. They have to update first, I believe.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Apple certainly makes it a pain to add things to passbook. You first need to download the Starbucks app. Then you need to add your cards to the Starbucks app. Then you need to create a Starbucks account in the app including your email and postal mailing address. Already have an account and forgot username & password? Then you need to go to their web site to retrieve that stuff. Then you need to go into the Starbucks app and select your card. Then you need to click manage. Then you need to click add to Passbook.

What makes you think that's Apple, and not the companies themselves?
  • Reply 49 of 86
    If you are doing all that just to try out the Starbucks's Passbook pass then you aren't the target. All I had to do was update the app to get access to Passbook because I'm a longtime user of their service.
    You also don't need to use an app to add a pass. As previously stated the OS can add it from pretty much anywhere. it's a just a file like sending a vCard and the system will update appropriately. I don't think it could be easier to add a pass to Passbook.

Well, I'm a new user of the Starbucks app, so I did have to set up an account to add money to the card. It later showed up in Passbook.

I'm not sure how things would work without an app on the phone. There must be some way to set up an account, which I imagine we would need. I just did it with the Walgreens app found through the Passbook store link. But haven't yet found a way to set it up entirely. I'll try again later.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    melgross wrote: »
    It took Passbock a couple of hours to add the $25 I put into my Starbucks app. And then after we bought two drinks, it took the app a bit of time to change the balance, but Passbook didn't show the change for a couple of hours or so. I'm not sure why that is, but Starbucks does say that balances may not get updated right away. Part of it depends on the credit card being used. They have to update first, I believe.

The app is essentially instantaneous in that regard from my experience. Even this morning, as noted in this thread, Passbook updated my balance after I queried the server by flipping the pass around and pulling down to call for an update to it.

Good to know it'll update on its own, too.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    melgross wrote: »
    Well, I'm a new user of the Starbucks app, so I did have to set up an account to add money to the card. It later showed up in Passbook.
    I'm not sure how things would work without an app on the phone. There must be some way to set up an account, which I imagine we would need. I just did it with the Walgreens app found through the Passbook store link. But haven't yet found a way to set it up entirely. I'll try again later.

I would guess that Starbucks has no method to send you a pass without the app. I would guess they have no intention at this time to send you a pass sans the app since those that would likely be using Passbook 2 weeks after iOS 6 was released are more than likely people that would either have the app already or not have a problem just grabbing the pass from their site.

They might eventually make it something you can use without signing in to the app – for instance, you sign in to the website and if you are on an iPhone then could have the pass generated and loaded via Safari — but the app does allow for some additional security.

It's not as if the app is pointless. It does have plenty of useful aspects, like your points. I guess future passes could offer up a field with that data in it, even if it's an image with the number of stars you've earned from zero to eleven, but for now I say go for making it more universal and less overwhelming (id est, complex) until people can wrap their heads around this useful tool.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Too bad their coffee is undrinkable. I guess if you order one of their sweet desert treats with sprinkles and syrup it might be worthwhile but definitely not for straight black coffee unless you like the smell of burnt rubber in the morning.

• Reply 53 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

…not for straight black coffee unless you like the smell of burnt rubber in the morning.

The idea is to get you to pay the extra for the double whip triple frappe cranberry mocha latte frappuchino, half twist double double cinnamon and foam.

• Reply 54 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

…not for straight black coffee unless you like the smell of burnt rubber in the morning.

The idea is to get you to pay the extra for the double whip triple frappe cranberry mocha latte frappuchino, half twist double double cinnamon and foam.

People pay way more than extra for my coffee, believe me. I grow and sell some of the most expensive coffees on the planet. I sold one bag to Starbucks about 10 years ago which I'm sure they just sent to their cupping lab. To add milk or sugar to my coffee would be like putting a "Honk if you love Jesus" bumper sticker on an Ferrari.

• Reply 55 of 86

People pay way more than extra for my coffee, believe me. I grow and sell some of the most expensive coffees on the planet. I sold one bag to Starbucks about 10 years ago which I'm sure they just sent to their cupping lab. To add milk or sugar to my coffee would be like putting a "Honk if you love Jesus" bumper sticker on an Ferrari.

Then what's a coffeecionado like yourself doing buying Starbucks' crap in the first place? image

• Reply 56 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then what's a coffeecionado like yourself doing buying Starbucks' crap in the first place? image

I don't but occasionally friends and kids want a sweet treat, I just order water. I have sampled their coffee when at a convention but it never improves.

Edit: See the problem is that Starbucks is more concerned with consistency than quality. Each coffee is different and needs to be roasted and prepared according to the individual characteristics of the unique variety. The only way they can keep the taste consistent for all their stores is to over roast it which hides any imperfections but also destroys any subtle positive nuances that the coffee may have. They can make what would be a good coffee taste just as bad as an awful coffee. Since they need trainloads and they don't really care about the farm, estate or marque, they just make it into charcoal anyway, they always buy the cheapest coffee available. We call that "C" or commercial coffee. Our type is called Single Origin High Altitude Specialty Coffee and is only the top one hundredth of one percent of a the Arabica coffee produced worldwide.

• Reply 57 of 86
    I would guess that Starbucks has no method to send you a pass without the app. I would guess they have no intention at this time to send you a pass sans the app since those that would likely be using Passbook 2 weeks after iOS 6 was released are more than likely people that would either have the app already or not have a problem just grabbing the pass from their site.
    They might eventually make it something you can use without signing in to the app – for instance, you sign in to the website and if you are on an iPhone then could have the pass generated and loaded via Safari — but the app does allow for some additional security.
    It's not as if the app is pointless. It does have plenty of useful aspects, like your points. I guess future passes could offer up a field with that data in it, even if it's an image with the number of stars you've earned from zero to eleven, but for now I say go for making it more universal and less overwhelming (id est, complex) until people can wrap their heads around this useful tool.

I don't see how a website could forward something to your Passbook. That would be equivelant to malware, and it's doubtful that Safari would allow it. I think an app is required for this.
  • Reply 58 of 86

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see how a website could forward something to your Passbook. That would be equivelant to malware, and it's doubtful that Safari would allow it. I think an app is required for this.

It's built into Mountain Lion and iOS 6 through Safari and e-mail and such.

• Reply 59 of 86
    mstone wrote: »
    Too bad their coffee is undrinkable. I guess if you order one of their sweet desert treats with sprinkles and syrup it might be worthwhile but definitely not for straight black coffee unless you like the smell of burnt rubber in the morning.

It's a South American roast. They love the taste of burnt beans there. I like the mocha caffe.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    mstone wrote: »

Modest, are we?

What's the name of your company, and where can we buy it?