Apple expected to unveil Retina 13" MacBook Pro at next week's 'iPad mini' event

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

To make a closer computer related analogy... it's not like dropping a laptop with an optical drive into an ecosystem of laptops without optical drives, it's more like dropping a laptop with a faster optical drive into an ecosystem of laptops with slower optical drives. 

You mean slower into an ecosystem of faster, which amounts to the same question at the end.

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

(can't remember)

How interesting that is, that you can't remember something. Maybe remember that next time you chastise someone else for forgetting something, as well. 

????

Of course, you won't admit to being wrong even when it happens.

I've already said I think it could very well exist. There's no longer any "wrong" for me to be in this scenario. You want to manufacture one, feel free. You'll just be laughed at. 

• Reply 62 of 79
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Not sure why my post was deleted- I guess if you can't take the heat- you delete the post that makes you look worse than you make yourself look?  And then you edit your post (bolded) to attempt to answer what I called out for in the deleted post?  You're atrocious man.... it's beyond sad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nit-picking your own arguments, eh? Even still, they're not the same.

How is it that a Cinema Display and a TV are similar, again? Is the visible design of a TV irreducibly complex? I don't think so.

And now you're on the other side of that argument, which I find interesting. image

My original post- that violated nothing- said that you avoided answering how a TV and computer monitor are not similar comparisons.  You still havent answered- what is a better comparison to a computer monitor than a television monitor?

Also- I mentioned that I never took a side of the argument- which you accused me of.  I'm indifferent to a cinema display redesign.

Is this where you tell me you deleted my post because it was off-topic?  Although you'll keep your derailing cinema-display talk in this thread and de-railing iPhone 5 naming talk in others?

Tallest Skil = the epitome of hypocrisy- like your "That's why you don't work for Apple" rhetoric.

Appleinsider- I beg of you- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow us to block/ignore moderators!!

• Reply 63 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Eh, that might work. But relegating their best selling laptop to Mac Mini levels of recognition is something I'd rather not see.
    Maybe they have good reason for a quiet launch. For example maybe they are expecting a tough production ramp.

As for the Mac Mini many of us don't like Apples attitude towards the device at all. So in that regard you can suffer along.

The other possibility is that they want to use this forum to release things of interest that are common to both platforms. IBooks on the Mac would be very nice. I'm actually a bit frustrated that Apple hasn't moved forward with this as an Apple supported book reader on the Mac would be ideal.

I have to agree to an extent, Apple needs to wise up about Macs and actually spend a bit of their massive fortune on engineering new and modern devices. At least for the desktop, they still have respect for the laptop market. The thing here is given the same engineering effort and modern design Apple could effectively grab even more sales from the Windows world where PC hardware is even more stagnate.
  • Reply 64 of 79

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe they have good reason for a quiet launch. For example maybe they are expecting a tough production ramp.

A new Apple product is going to get as much press if it's silent as if it's talked about in the keynote, I think. If anything, it just won't have three dozen extra articles about how "terrible" it is actually isn't. ????

As for the Mac Mini many of us don't like Apples attitude towards the device at all. So in that regard you can suffer along.

They really need to be more aggressive with it, agreed.

I have to agree to an extent, Apple needs to wise up about Macs and actually spend a bit of their massive fortune on engineering new and modern devices.

But we'd be called old fuddy-duddies for saying that. "Go where the money is", despite the Mac remaining absolutely crucial to getting that money. 

At least for the desktop, they still have respect for the laptop market.

Right. But if they're not careful, when they start to replace laptops with larger iPads, they'll wind up with a problem like Intel had when they hit the megahertz cap. "The larger number", in this case, laptops, wouldn't be better.

• Reply 65 of 79
    A new Apple product is going to get as much press if it's silent as if it's talked about in the keynote, I think. If anything, it just won't have three dozen extra articles about how "terrible" it is actually isn't. ????
    I have to disagree somewhat. Most people don't even realize that the Mini exists. Seriously I was in the Apple store staring in disbelief when the associate showed a potential customer the Mini. I'm not sure she every actually believed that the little box was the whole computer.
    They really need to be more aggressive with it, agreed.
    Ineptitude if you ask me. Especially at a time when Apple is the only company not showing massive slides in desktop sales.
    But we'd be called old fuddy-duddies for saying that. "Go where the money is", despite the Mac remaining absolutely crucial to getting that money. 
    I really have no problem going for the money, especially when Apple has more than enough resources to pursue those dollars. The problem I have is that they have ignored the desktop market even when they are doing much better than the industry as a whole. My point being that they would be selling a hell of a lot more desktops if they would just pull their heads out of their butts.
    Right. But if they're not careful, when they start to replace laptops with larger iPads, they'll wind up with a problem like Intel had when they hit the megahertz cap. "The larger number", in this case, laptops, wouldn't be better.

I honestly expect to see laptop sales crash in a year or two. Really an iPad along with a performance desktop is a much better spend. It is a certainty that laptops would be needed by some for a very long time (I need one at work) but once you get the hang of iPad and its portability laptops look like dinosaurs.

The only thing I think Apple has wrong in this picture is iCloud and that is something that can evolve over time.

Personally I went from iPad1 to iPad3 and it was like going from a proof of concept to a highly workable device. If Apple can double performance of iPad 4 many people will really have to question the expense of a laptop.
  • Reply 66 of 79

I have to disagree somewhat. Most people don't even realize that the Mini exists. Seriously I was in the Apple store staring in disbelief when the associate showed a potential customer the Mini. I'm not sure she every actually believed that the little box was the whole computer.

But isn't that part of the draw? The magic, the mystique? That's what people said about the iMac! "So where's the rest of it?" Heck, Apple even made an ad about that. Talk about the Mini more loudly and that same sense of iMac wonder will hit it.

Ineptitude if you ask me.

Child Protective Services would have come and taken it away by now were it a kid, is what you're saying. image

I don't entirely disagree.

My point being that they would be selling a hell of a lot more desktops if they would just pull their heads out of their butts. Really an iPad along with a performance desktop is a much better spend. 

What can we, as individuals, do to get that spurred on? Short of working at Apple and climbing high enough to make those decisions. Need a lot more people like you making calls up there. 

Problem is us computer field guys don't make the money. But it's very shortsighted to neglect a market that will not only be far more relevant in the future, but also was the reason in the past that they're relevant now.

• Reply 67 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I honestly expect to see laptop sales crash in a year or two. Really an iPad along with a performance desktop is a much better spend. It is a certainty that laptops would be needed by some for a very long time (I need one at work) but once you get the hang of iPad and its portability laptops look like dinosaurs.

The only thing I think Apple has wrong in this picture is iCloud and that is something that can evolve over time.

You may be right but personally I can't see the iPad as anything more than media consumption device. In my work I spend the day ssh -ing into various unix boxes, copying files by ftp to various servers, ssl batch credit card uploads, tons of Adobe CS, SQL and AutoCad work, web development, networking to Windows boxes, scanning, printing, etc. Sure their are some apps for these tasks but I absolutely could not do my job without an OS X machine. Right now I rely on a Mac Pro 8 core with a 30" Cinema and a retina MBP. To work from home I use an iMac. 

I have the retina iPad, iPhone 5 and plan to get a mini when/if it is released but other than an occasional extremely brief email or txt, the iOS devices are never used for work whatsoever. Love the new MBP when I'm traveling. I always take my iPad too, why I don't know because I really don't need it but at least the new mini will be lighter and smaller. People who do a lot of computer related file management tasks verses memo writing type office related work can not get by with just an iPad in my opinion. I'm sure people will chime in that they can do all of that from their iPad but they are just simply being masochistic because it has got to be painful.

I agree iCloud is completely useless to me because it cannot accept my file types.

• Reply 68 of 79
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

There was at least one 13 silver Macbook with decent discrete graphics, it was the last with swappable battery.

I have a 15MBP retina maxed out for my own use - its truly fast fantastic machine - even if battery life is not as goos as i would like - the 13 version will surely loose at least one of the Thunderbolt ports

Incorrect.  The 13" MacBooks never had discrete graphics.  They always had integrated graphics with shared system memory.  The Nvidia 9400M and 320M graphics were not discrete, they were integrated chips that shared system memory.  Only the 15" and 17" models had discrete graphics, as well as the older iBook and PowerBook models.

• Reply 69 of 79
    If this has a BTO of 768GB SSD and 16GB of RAM, I'm getting it. If they refresh the iMac with good specs, I'm buying the 27" too. And lastly, if they release a better Mac Mini.............you know the rest.

Fingers crossed and credit card ready.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

The retina models are a joke.  At an arm's length, you can't tell the difference between the standard MacBook Pro and the MacBook Pro with Retina.  It is not like holding an iPhone or iPad in your hand, closer to your eyes, to see the higher resolution benefits.  The MacBook Pro Retina display is also scaled, and not set at its native resolution.  If you set it at the super high res native resolution, you can't read anything.  It is also overpriced.  Even Apple realized they screwed up with the base model with no build to order options, and quickly changed that so people wouldn't have to pay a premium just to upgrade it with flash memory that is actually usable.  256 GB standard flash drive memory is nothing for those that work with media or large graphic files.  Apple is also ripping people off by restricting memory upgrades, and forcing people to pay a premium if they want more memory at the time of purchase.  Apple could have used industry standard memory, and allowed people to buy and install their own memory.  You can expect the same with the new 13" retina model.  You will have small flash memory storage, no third-party memory upgrades, and a high starting price.  At least OWC recently began offering SSDs for the MBP with Retina for a lower price than Apple's option.

I found this smokin' deal last week, and it is still available.  I was surprised this model is still in stock, and it is new, not a refurb.  It is on clearance.  You can get the top-of-the-line MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 model at B and H for $1,599, reduced from $2,199 (original price).  They marked it down to $1,999 when the June 2012 models arrived, but now it is reduced to $1,599 to move out the remaining stock.  They also have a discount on AppleCare for $244, and free Parallels 8.  Also, the Late 2011 model is fully supported with Mountain Lion, with AirPlay, etc.  It can also run Snow Leopard if you know anyone that has the Snow Leopard DVD that shipped with the Early 2011 15"/17" model, if you want Rosetta compatibility.  Thought I would pass this deal on to those that might be interested.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827024-REG/Apple_MD322LL_A_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

• Reply 71 of 79

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The retina models are a joke.  At an arm's length, you can't tell the difference between the standard MacBook Pro and the MacBook Pro with Retina.  It is not like holding an iPhone or iPad in your hand, closer to your eyes, to see the higher resolution benefits.  The MacBook Pro Retina display is also scaled, and not set at its native resolution.  If you set it at the super high res native resolution, you can't read anything.  It is also overpriced.

This is a joke. You clearly don't get it.

• Reply 72 of 79
    Maybe you missed it but I was trying to separate out personal use from professional use. You highlight many professional uses that frankly will only get more demanding of computers in the future. However these are not the things most people use a laptop for when traveling. Frankly I also need a laptop at work, however that laptop stays there.
    mstone wrote: »
    You may be right but personally I can't see the iPad as anything more than media consumption device.
    I suspect you work real hard to convince yourself of that. It is a very good tool for people on the move. Especially when the ease of cellular data use is figured in. Between cell and WiFi you are always connected something that can't be said for a laptop.

Speaking of which, if Apple where to produce an AIR with cellular and always on connectivity I might be tempted to get one and to use it like I do my iPad.
    In my work I spend the day ssh -ing into various unix boxes, copying files by ftp to various servers, ssl batch credit card uploads, tons of Adobe CS, SQL and AutoCad work, web development, networking to Windows boxes, scanning, printing, etc.
    That is important to you but 99% of the rest of the world would say who cares.
    Sure their are some apps for these tasks but I absolutely could not do my job without an OS X machine. Right now I rely on a Mac Pro 8 core with a 30" Cinema and a retina MBP. To work from home I use an iMac. 
    In a way you are sorta supporting my point. Even laptops come up short when doing demanding work.
    I have the retina iPad, iPhone 5 and plan to get a mini when/if it is released but other than an occasional extremely brief email or txt, the iOS devices are never used for work whatsoever.
    This is interesting because I got an iPhone for personal use thinking I'd never use it for work. Come to find out it is extremely handy even in my line of work.
    Love the new MBP when I'm traveling. I always take my iPad too, why I don't know because I really don't need it but at least the new mini will be lighter and smaller. 
    You should just try leaving home without the laptop a few times. You have to adjust your way of doing things on the road but I prefer an iPad by a large measure when the bulk of a laptop isn't absolutely needed.
    People who do a lot of computer related file management tasks verses memo writing type office related work can not get by with just an iPad in my opinion. I'm sure people will chime in that they can do all of that from their iPad but they are just simply being masochistic because it has got to be painful.
    It depends. One thing you have to accept is that the software landscape is really just getting off the ground. Do the apps for iOS and IOS itself need work, most certainly but that doesn't mean they aren't useful. Apps are rapidly evolving for the iPad too, DWG viewers have rapidly evolved to the point that they are useful for example.

However iOS was never intended to be a product that exposes the file system in a way commonly seen on UNIX boxes. I'd be the first to say it isn't perfect but it is a new way to look at the issue of how humans interact with a computer.
    I agree iCloud is completely useless to me because it cannot accept my file types.
    I hate to say this because the comment will likely draw much negativity but I think Apple has a very long way to go before iCloud will be useful. It is sort of useful now in a limited sense but some of the design decisions just blow my mind and lead to frustration. Some apps are working well within the iCloud framework though, my password manager for one.

I suspect that your problem with iOS devices is that you have a lot of time invested in and skills developed around Mac OS and or UNIX like systems in general. That isn't a bad thing at all but I'd be willing to bet that you would find most Windows PCs just as unappealing as iOS devices.

Personally I revolted with Windows around the time Windows NT service pack 2 came out and trashed a well running machine. I went to Linux at the time as Mac hardware was just outrageous. The thing that drew me to a 2008 MBP was the underlying UNIX and the iPhone. The things that keeps me on the platform is the ease of maintenance ( far less breaks with each update), integration with the iOS devices and the general direction that Mac OS has been moving in. What I'm trying to say is my perspective is rather broad, but in many ways my iPad is a lot more useful to me than most of the old machines that I no longer have. That even if there are real frustrations along the way. In the end I have a computer that is more powerful than almost any of the machines I had in the past.
  • Reply 73 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is a joke. You clearly don't get it.

You are the joke.  Typical response from the moderator that hates Apple products, yet works for AppleInsider.  Since you hate the articles on AppleInsider and hate what Apple creates, why do you continue to post comments on articles?  Have you ever seen a MBP Retina and placed it directly next to the regular MacBook Pro?  If you claim you see a difference at an arm's length, you are a liar.  Your eyes cannot distinguish pixels at that distance.  But most people don't like you on the forum anyway, so your opinion has no value.

• Reply 74 of 79
    vikptvikpt Posts: 14member

SWEET :D! Can't wait for the 13 in rMBP! I seriously hope it'll be on $1499 price tag :/

• Reply 75 of 79

12-inch PowerBook (2003)

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM / NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

iBook G4 (12/14-inch Mid 2005)

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 with 32MB of dedicated DDR SDRAM

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) / MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor / NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2012)

Intel Integrated LOL (enough for twitter & facebook, I agree, but that is a toy).

• Reply 76 of 79

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

12-inch PowerBook (2003)

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM / NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

iBook G4 (12/14-inch Mid 2005)

ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 with 32MB of dedicated DDR SDRAM

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) / MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor / NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2012)

Intel Integrated LOL (enough for twitter & facebook, I agree, but that is a toy).

There hasn't been a 13" MacBook or MacBook Pro with a dedicated GPU. It doesn't make them toys by any stretch.

• Reply 77 of 79

Any ideas on the price points and specs of the 13in rMBP?

• Reply 78 of 79
    There hasn't been a 13" MacBook or MacBook Pro with a dedicated GPU. It doesn't make them toys by any stretch.

It depends upon your point of view. Intel GPUs come up seriously short for some users needs. Thus they are unacceptable. Ivy Bridge is really the first of Intels GPUs that offers credible performance for professional use. Frankly that is only for a limited subset of professional users.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member

To give you a concrete example:
    Autodesk Maya Certified Apple laptops
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&results=1&stype=system&product_group=19&release=2013&os=134217728&manuf=7&opt=1

No 13" listed there...

A 13" MacBook Pro's CPU is well suited to run the Autodesk Maya 3D app.
    But the lack of a GPU completely disqualifies it. IvyBridge will likely not change this.
    Or in other words:
    Maya might work just fine on you 13" MacBook Pro. But if it does not, you won't get your money back from Autodesk as it is not a certified hardware. It's even worse: you will not even get support for Maya from Autodesk, even if you paid for support, as this laptop is not on their officially certified hardware list. You are out of your luck. As a professional Maya user you better not buy a 13" MacBook Pro, despite its name it is not a 'Pro' laptop.

So yes, in other words, as for Maya the 13" MacBook Pro is a toy.
    Shame because the CPU is more than capable to run it well, particularely in an SSD config.

Side note:
    The 12" PowerBook of yesteryear was certified to run Maya because it had a dedicated Nvidia GPU.
    If Apple could manage to put a GPU into a 12" laptop there is no reason they cannot do so in a 13". They are just cheapscates. Or in their lust for ever thinner laptops they started to sacrifice pro features.
    If you want a small but powerful laptop you must look outside Apple hardware. :no: