Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151

Still Micro SIM, no Nano? That's really strange... Of course there is no actual need, but that is true of the old 30 pin plug, too. So for compatibility reasons I was sure Apple would go Nano here too.

• Reply 22 of 151
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.

People chew out Apple because they wait a year between products.

People chew out Apple because products later in the cycle have "old" components.

Now you are chewing Apple out for coming out with a refreshed model with faster, more current hardware in under a year?

What's your problem?

What scenario needs to occur for you (and others) to say "Way to go Apple!! This is great!!" ??  /s

• Reply 23 of 151
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

For the first time ever, I feel let down by Apple. 

I liked the fact that when you were an early adopter to an iPhone or iPad you knew you had a year+ until the next one was released.

This throws everything that I know to be true about Apple out of the window.

I'm a disappointed member of the Apple family.

• Reply 24 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The lineup looks great -- the iPad 2 is a good price performer -- faster than the iPad 3 on graphics/screen-intensive apps.

Faster than the iPad 3, maybe, but not the new iPad (3S?  4?).

Anyways, I'm somewhat glad.  I was dreading that something in this announcement would be a must-buy for me, but now I can save my money.  I was interested in the iPad mini, but would have only been willing to pay more than $250 if it had a Retina display.  I can't say I'm surprised it's $329--this is Apple, after all, and they tend to be more expensive.

I was a bit surprised that there was a new MBP 13", iMac, and Mac Mini--not sure why, though.  I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to rumors.  The new iMac looks nice, though I would prefer it to have an optical drive and no chin.  No optical drive makes sense on a portable, but there's not much reason on a desktop.  Thickness isn't an issue here, beyond bragging rights and, I guess, using less material for a lower carbon footprint.  With that said, I use the optical drive all the time on my iMac (mainly for Handbrake).  An external drive just adds clutter I don't want.

Fusion Drive is a welcome feature, though I wonder if (and how) it differs from other hybrid solutions or Intel's Smart Response.

The new MBP is certainly tempting, but I can wait.  My 2011 MBA is doing just fine.  Really, the biggest temptation here is the new 9.7" iPad--but I can hold off on that, too!

• Reply 25 of 151
    So with my extended coverage can I "break" my iPad3 and get the new 4th Gen?

If I wait a few months, 2-3, they should be out of 3rd gen stock so maybe..
  • Reply 26 of 151
    creepcreep Posts: 80member

Your assertion that the 3 didn't offer any compelling reasons to upgrade over the ipad2 was stated by just about every major review, and is supported by performance metrics.  But, the reason most people are complaining is that the ipad 4 has come only six months after the 3 hit the market.    

EDIT: I should also learn the difference between "reply" and "quote". smh

• Reply 27 of 151
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    macdevil wrote: »

Mine still works fine.

Mine seems to be ok, although it has been picking up a lot of whining the last few minutes.
  • Reply 28 of 151
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinthor View Post

Unbelievable.  Pretty cool, but if they had this, why release the iPad 3 without the A6 only a few months ago?  Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things, but I am a little irritated to see speed DOUBLED in just a few months.  Oh well.  I hope they're not going to refresh now twice a year and are instead just moving the iPad releases to October.  Guess we'll see!  Very nice products though and the new iMac is absolutely stunning!

The retina display bump and the LTE for the cellular?

• Reply 29 of 151
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

So what's the pricing on the now discontinued iPad 3s still in the channel?

• Reply 30 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, do I buy an iPad 4 or wait a few months for the iPad 5?   :)

If you're into waiting, I here there's going to be an iPad 6 a few months after that. Then iPad 7 in March 2014. Since you like waiting, why not just keep waiting?

• Reply 31 of 151
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

This was a surprise move by Apple indeed. It also means that in January next year there will be no new iPad to look forward to. A strategic move to meet the Christmas shopping frenzy season.

• Reply 32 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy C View Post

You might end up with a refurbished model.

• Reply 33 of 151
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    seanorse wrote: »
    How in the world will they stay with the spring launch of a new iPad?

What spring launch would that be?
  • Reply 34 of 151
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

Faster than the iPad 3, maybe, but not the new iPad (3S?  4?).

Anyways, I'm somewhat glad.  I was dreading that something in this announcement would be a must-buy for me, but now I can save my money.  I was interested in the iPad mini, but would have only been willing to pay more than $250 if it had a Retina display.  I can't say I'm surprised it's $329--this is Apple, after all, and they tend to be more expensive.

I was a bit surprised that there was a new MBP 13", iMac, and Mac Mini--not sure why, though.  I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to rumors.  The new iMac looks nice, though I would prefer it to have an optical drive and no chin.  No optical drive makes sense on a portable, but there's not much reason on a desktop.  Thickness isn't an issue here, beyond bragging rights and, I guess, using less material for a lower carbon footprint.  With that said, I use the optical drive all the time on my iMac (mainly for Handbrake).  An external drive just adds clutter I don't want.

Fusion Drive is a welcome feature, though I wonder if (and how) it differs from other hybrid solutions or Intel's Smart Response.

The new MBP is certainly tempting, but I can wait.  My 2011 MBA is doing just fine.  Really, the biggest temptation here is the new 9.7" iPad--but I can hold off on that, too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stromos View Post

When they don't give you iOS 8 and you can't update apps anymore because you are on iOS 7 we will see how fine it's working.  A six month launch window will speed up the entire lifecycle including obsoletion.  Once Apple abandons a device it takes one security flaw to be found and now you are SOL.

You are jumping the gun there.  Assuming b/c there was 6 months between new versions of the iPad that iOS will start doubling as well makes no sense.  The new OS came out a month ago and was not tied to this iPad release at all.  The iPad 3 will still be running the new iOS released next fall and we will see teh fall after that.  Personally I believe they are shifting all iOS devices to the holiday cycle. I bought the new iPad in March and it's fine. Nothing will inherently make it work worse just b/c a new iPad was released.  A friend of mine bought his 3 earlier this month so he's mad and taking his back to pre-order the new one.  Don't blame him, he has his 30 day window.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post

Smart response is just cacheing.  Fusion Drive is actually copying data to a new location and making that the new home for the files.  So if I play World of Warcraft every day, it will get pushed over to the flash memory, while iPhoto Booth (or whatever it is caleld) will go to the hard drive as it gets neglected.  This is what the smart Start Menu was doing in Windows, but that was just for links to the data, not actually moving the data as well.  AFAIK, this isn't being done currently by any other OS, but the capability is built into Mountain Lion.

• Reply 35 of 151
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Those who complain about buying the iPad 3 and now the iPad 4 is out with twice the speed, and other features really shouldn't complain.

I agree, and I'm not complaining. Don't care for the smaller iPad, already have Gen 1 & 3 of the larger model.
  • Reply 36 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Actually, closer to 8 months... Mar 7 - Nov 2.

I think that this will preemptively prevent the competition from releasing some devices... so which would you rather see Apple to obsolete the iPad 3 -- or Microsoft or Google/Sammy?

• Reply 37 of 151
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I detect another reason they did not call it the iPad 3!
  • Reply 38 of 151
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,218member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, do I buy an iPad 4 or wait a few months for the iPad 5?   :)

The iPad 4 is still a lunk due to its honking battery which is required by its gorgeous, power-sucking display.

Your choice!

• Reply 39 of 151
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Vindication! About a week and a half ago I posted a comment here giving my wish list for an upgraded iPad that would launch together with the iPad mini. At the time the global moderator answered me back, basically mocking me for thinking such a thing would even happen before Spring next year. And here it is an upgraded iPad with exactly those features I wished for and more! And now I'm going to order the new iPad I've been waiting for since iPad3 (with its stopgap hot running A5x) made its debut 6 months ago.
  • Reply 40 of 151
    haarhaar Posts: 563member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy C View Post

no... wait a year just to be safe... (you have 2 years in the applecare+)