White & silver iPad mini sells out of launch day delivery

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

... I'm going to use mine primarily as a GPS in my cars ...

In a lot of places (most actually), it's illegal to mount a screen on your dashboard, and by "screen" they mean TV set or computer.  The reason being that it's incredibly dangerous of course.  

I know a GPS that you buy is technically the same thing as what you are planning, but you can't watch movies on that or get email.  If a cop sees you driving down the street with anything other than the map showing you might be in for a big ticket and an order to remove it.  

• Reply 42 of 82

My 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S were all black.

When I saw the 5 in the Apple Store, I had to have it in white -- and absolutely no regrets.

Ordered the mini in white as well. That white / silver motif is pretty slick.

• Reply 43 of 82

I must have got lucky.  Got in through the app around 2:02AM CST, got the order confirmation e-mail from Apple with a 2:04AM CST time stamp, delivery of 11/2 (black/16/wifi).

• Reply 44 of 82
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Wow, I am shocked! image

Ok, not really, but judging by all of the comments by the geniuses whining over the price, I'm amazed that Apple was able to sell any at all.image

It's really simple. People want quality devices and they're prepared to pay for it. Apple is not in the business of making disposable, cheap garbage. If cheap garbage is what floats your boat and fits your budget, then good for you, but then you are on the wrong forum.

• Reply 45 of 82

Ordered my mini shortly after 3:00 AM EDT,  16 Black WiFi.  Was undecided about using apple.com store on the desktop or Apple app store on the Ipad.  Had both ready to go at 2:45 AM and waited for the store to reopen.  Refreshed the apple.com and waited on app.   At  3:02 AM the Ipad apps store opened and I used that route.  Order completed in less than a minute ending with the order confirmation number.  Confirming e-mail sent time dated 3:05 AM.   Went back and refreshed the apple.com and it was still closed.  I refreshed the page and it opened a couple of minutes later.  I will definitely use the Apple apps route on the next preorder with new product senario, it was great and easy.  Really helps to have apple account info etc up to date before show time. 

• Reply 46 of 82
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Cant wait to see them, they will be in store nov 2 right?

From an investor stand-point, I am glad to see the 32g and 64g are sold out too, those have good margins. If a lot of people buy a 64g mini instead of a 16g ipad4, this will actually improved Apple margins on the ipad line.

• Reply 47 of 82
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I've always bought my Apple products in-store. This is the first time I've pre-ordered, and I'm wondering about something: do they charge your account when you place the order, or when it ships?
  • Reply 48 of 82
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HM Apple View Post

Ordered my mini shortly after 3:00 AM EDT,  16 Black WiFi.  Was undecided about using apple.com store on the desktop or Apple app store on the Ipad.  Had both ready to go at 2:45 AM and waited for the store to reopen.  Refreshed the apple.com and waited on app.   At  3:02 AM the Ipad apps store opened and I used that route.  Order completed in less than a minute ending with the order confirmation number.  Confirming e-mail sent time dated 3:05 AM.   Went back and refreshed the apple.com and it was still closed.  I refreshed the page and it opened a couple of minutes later.  I will definitely use the Apple apps route on the next preorder with new product senario, it was great and easy.  Really helps to have apple account info etc up to date before show time. 

I had a similar experience.  I just wish Apple would be honest about what they are doing when it comes to stuff like this though.  I had to stay up so late to order and I won't be getting it now until at least a week after it arrives in the stores.  

They should just be upfront and say that "Oh, BTW if you don't live in the USA your chances of getting one on Nov 2nd are essentially zero."

Then I wouldn't have had to stay up all night on a false promise and I could just buy one in the local store when they show up.  

• Reply 49 of 82
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I've always bought my Apple products in-store. This is the first time I've pre-ordered, and I'm wondering about something: do they charge your account when you place the order, or when it ships?

I've ordered from Apple in the past, but I don't recall if they charge right away or when it ships.

But, can't you just log into your bank account and you'd know the answer in about 2 seconds?

• Reply 50 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I ordered 4 minutes after midnight (the website came up at 12:03), and all I got was a "your order is being processed email."  Still no follow up email with a date. 

Apple f*cking over everyone who isn't American again no doubt. 

I am American, I just live in Canada.  =)

• Reply 51 of 82
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153784/white-silver-ipad-mini-sells-out-of-launch-day-delivery/40#post_2220469"]I've ordered from Apple in the past, but I don't recall if they charge right away or when it ships.

But, can't you just log into your bank account and you'd know the answer in about 2 seconds?

Charges haven't shown up yet, but that doesn't mean anything. It's not uncommon for friday charges to not show up until monday.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Is anyone else surprised that the Black isn't sold out yet?  It was barely a couple hours before the iPhones- both colors were sold out- and I assume those can be manufactured quicker? (although maybe not).

Also- I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new iPad this spring that mimics the other iOS devices... the design of the iPhone 5, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini are freakin gorgeous- makes the iPad look antiquated (much like the new iMac makes the absolutely stunning 2011 iMac antiquated).

• Reply 53 of 82
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Wonder if any of these minis will come out the box with scuffs like the iphone5. Also the back of the black one is the same color/coating as iPhone 5 too which a few ppl reported it being prone to scratching. Think ill go for white 32gb cellular! The industrial design is amazing
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Ordered my white mini at 0201 CT through ios and was back in bed by 0202.

Not sure what the deal is w/ black vs white. I wonder if they sold as fast as expected given black is still available more than 12 hours after launch.
  • Reply 55 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It always used to be that they only sold one white product for every three black (when it was iPods), but lately I think white is pulling ahead.  Judging by what I see at work and around town I would say it's almost the reverse now.  White certainly seems the most popular colour for iPhone 4s. 

Also, "scratch-gate" might have something to do with it. 

Can't say that matches my observations. I see predominantly black iPhones, be it of 4S or 5.

Furthermore, iPad Mini is not made the same way as iPhone 5. But I get that few customers (or bloggers or analysts) understand these issues.

Regardless, I am thankful 'cause I just ordered a black unit and it will be arriving earlier than white ones.

• Reply 56 of 82
    Sigh...
  • Reply 57 of 82
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I ordered one and it went smoothly, then a couple hours later I tried to order another but the store was broken in Safari. It would not let me select any model. I could order other stuff like a lightning adapter just not the mini. I switched over to chrome and I was able to complete the second order. I hope that was some issue with my machine and not widespread problem but I can't really explain it since the same machine was used in the first transaction and was not turned off, Safari not restarted or modified in any way before the second attempt.

• Reply 58 of 82

So the black still hasn't sold out for early delivery. What about the iPad 4?

Maybe we are starting to reach tablet saturation and demand peak?

• Reply 59 of 82

Really tempted to pre-order the 64 GB in white but I want a hands-on with it first.  Another thing is I have a 3rd gen 16 GB iPad already and since they decided to out-date that so quickly, its resale price has gone down, making it probably not worth selling which makes it harder to justify another $600 worth of iPad (both came to roughly that price with the leather smart cover and the smart case + tax).

• Reply 60 of 82

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Maybe we are starting to reach tablet saturation and demand peak?

We're about ten years from that.