Microsoft exec promotes value of Windows 8 PCs, calls iPad mini a $329 'recreational tablet'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 209
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That MS Surface you have up there looks like it's pretty much 4:3 when it's actually the16:9, which is slightly more widescreen than the 16:10 Nexus 7.

Also, I'd add the Kindle and Kindle HD sizes in that mix as the are likely the closest per unit competitors the iPad will have.

Unless I made a data entry error by resolution. 1366x768 is what is given.

Yes, there was a data entry error. Fixed. Thanks for catching that!

• Reply 62 of 209
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Since MS held a funeral for the iPhone, I wonder what they're going to do for Windows Phone, because that thing is stillborn. And even if it had survived and made it's way safely out of the womb, it should have been aborted.

I bet if they put office on the Windows Phone it would be an iPhone killer. oh wait.. deja vu.  never mind.

• Reply 63 of 209
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

The worst part about the tablet crash is Sinofsky's "girly run" across the stage.

• Reply 64 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

I believe you are forgetting those people who are given iPads at work. I think it can be safely assumed that their employers handed these iPads out with purely productive intentions.

Their point is mostly valid.  It does not take a a great deal of effort to find an exception (aka low blow) when one makes an absolute statement. Anyhow, wake me up when the majority out IT departments are handing out tablets or Surfaces instead of laptops.   For now, the primary consumer motivator is recreational use first and foremost, productivity, if any, secondary. 

• Reply 65 of 209
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Microsoft was beating the crowd back with sticks in Century City!

Honestly, there were at least 3 sales clerks for every Lookie Lou... Another bomb from Redmond!

Classic.  Yeah, they are all lining up to see a tablet and it's fugly red keyboard.  I guess the Product Manager for this thing is looking for a job elsewhere.

• Reply 66 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Microsoft exec makes click bait comment regarding their jack of all trades but master of none tablet?

Yeah, but that red keyboard takes the FUGLY award.  I guess Microsoft's lack of color correction in WIndows might be the blame for that.

• Reply 67 of 209
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member

I sure hope Sinofsky is practicing his jump and hop "monkey dance", 'cause he's gonna need it!

• Reply 68 of 209
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    bobborries wrote: »
    The gif version SurfaceCrash.gif
    I like how he skips like a little girl. Lol
  • Reply 69 of 209
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    snova wrote: »
       Their point is mostly valid.  It does not take a a great deal of effort to find an exception (aka low blow) when one makes an absolute statement. Anyhow, wake me up when the majority out IT departments are handing out tablets or Surfaces instead of laptops.   For now, the primary consumer motivator is recreational use first and foremost, productivity, if any, secondary. 

I think MS might be able to make a dent with the $500 Surface RT if it actually would connect to an Active Directory domain, but it can't. They didn't port Windows to ARM architecture like Apple ported PPC to Intel. It's not just a new UI but significant differences in usability. I am shocked that there is no AD support because I see this as the way MS could have made the Surface and Win RT look strong in comparison to the iPad in the Enterprise.
  • Reply 70 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That "recreational tablet" sells between 14-17 million per quarter now, with over 100 million sold to date. And that's just from Apple. No OEMs involved. 

MS is delusional. Apple ate their lunch years ago. MS isn't even worth looking at anymore. The big news is happening elsewhere. 

So how are those Windows Phone sales going?

They came out with WIndows phones?  Really?  When?  I haven't seen anyone using them.  You mean, they actually are selling them?  When was the release date?

• Reply 71 of 209
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mj web wrote: »
    Microsoft was beating the crowd back with sticks in Century City!

LL

Honestly, there were at least 3 sales clerks for every Lookie Lou... Another bomb from Redmond!

LL

Were they still in stock at that store or had sales begun when the picture was taken?
  • Reply 72 of 209
    I'm actually excited about Win8. Primarily because I work for a company with 40,000 people, and based on the thousands of applications we work with, I don't realistically expect them to ever switch to Apple (although, a guy can dream!). I figure Apple is so far ahead, that Win8 HAS to be a step in the right direction, and even though I won't use it at home, it could still be a positive for me.
  • Reply 73 of 209
    apersona wrote: »
    Sinofsky's comments remind me of what DOS and then Windows power users have always said about using Apple products; "that's not REAL computing".

Yep, someone is bitter much. Going to get worse when it turns out the iPad mini sold 10 to 1 on the Surface RT. and 80% of those RTs were returned with the first week.
  • Reply 74 of 209
    snova wrote: »
     Flip this around and it could be stated that if you want to use Surface for recreational purposes there are better options.  Think they will admit to that?

Good point. Most buyers are likely basic computing and recreational, not business. It does sound like they are suggestion the Mini is the better choice
  • Reply 75 of 209
    drblank wrote: »
    Classic.  Yeah, they are all lining up to see a tablet and it's fugly red keyboard.  I guess the Product Manager for this thing is looking for a job elsewhere.

#firebrowett

Oh wait, wrong company
  • Reply 76 of 209
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Were they still in stock at that store or had sales begun when the picture was taken?

Likely in stock. I work down there and that store is always dead. Other than the high school kids playing on the Xbox
  • Reply 77 of 209
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

...Win Server 2012 are not crap. They are confusing as hell on many levels...

Windows NT 3.51 was confusing as hell too. Every server upgrade they have ever made was a complete departure from the previous version.

• Reply 78 of 209

Quote:

I think MS might be able to make a dent with the $500 Surface RT if it actually would connect to an Active Directory domain, but it can't. They didn't port Windows to ARM architecture like Apple ported PPC to Intel. It's not just a new UI but significant differences in usability. I am shocked that there is no AD support because I see this as the way MS could have made the Surface and Win RT look strong in comparison to the iPad in the Enterprise.

While it took them decades to catch on to why complete HW/SW integration is important, they still have a few things to learn from Apple about how to go to market with new product designs.    Something about it can't be just good, it cant be just great.. it has to be... oh what's the phrase?

How many years is it going to take them to figure that one out?  I question if they have the leadership which is strong enough to have the determination or commitment to see things all the way through and not release stuff before its ready.

I really like the dialog from a scene in recent Marvel  Avenger's movie which goes something like this: "You are gonna lose because you lack conviction".  This about sums it up for me for most companies; unfortunately.

• Reply 79 of 209
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Apple should now have the noblesse oblige to not talk Microsoft products down. If you talk your opponents down you sound weak and a little childish. Samsung is another matter — less business rivals, more IP thieves wearing masks and carrying a bag marked 'swag'. But Microsoft have gone out of their way to differentiate the look of their tablet from the iPad. They deserve some props for that.

• Reply 80 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Apple should now have the noblesse oblige to not talk Microsoft products down. If you talk your opponents down you sound weak and a little childish. Samsung is another matter — less business rivals, more IP thieves wearing masks and carrying a bag marked 'swag'. But Microsoft have gone out of their way to differentiate the look of their tablet from the iPad. They deserve some props for that.

I agree with you 100% bravo!   as an aside, I actually agree with both Apple's and Microsoft's criticisms about each others products.  One is mostly recreational and the other is mostly compromising and confusing.