Microsoft launching Surface Pro, expanding Surface RT lineup on Feb. 9

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Sad thing is Ballmer just might lose his job and someone might actually get in there and turn the tide. Let's hope not...
  • Reply 42 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

"Wedge Touch Mouse Surface Edition."

Good to see MS hasn't lost its knack for naming things like they were lab specimens. 

• Reply 43 of 82
    Oh, GAWD no!!!!!!

More stupid ads with all of that clicking $#^¥. :facepalm:
  • Reply 44 of 82
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

now can someone fire balmer..

• Reply 45 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    tcasey wrote: »
    now can someone fire balmer..

I certainly hope he stays on for many years to come. We can have our laughs with Scully & Page, but no one does it like Ballmer!

• Reply 46 of 82
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    If $899 doesn't include the keyboard cover, this thing seems pricey. I expect WinPC's to be priced on the low-end. I think this will be a hard sell against $300 Dell laptops
  • Reply 47 of 82
    ifij775 wrote: »
    If $899 doesn't include the keyboard cover, this thing seems pricey. I expect WinPC's to be priced on the low-end. I think this will be a hard sell against $300 Dell laptops

1. I think they'll sell a million overnight. After that, not much.

2. Cheapest Dell laptop I found was $399
  • Reply 48 of 82
    philboogie wrote: »

Businesses with large orders pay less than retail prices, which probably could be said for the surface, too.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    ifij775 wrote: »

Businesses with large orders pay less than retail prices, which probably could be said for the surface, too.

Ah, ok, iForgot.

Surface on bulk orders getting discount; I nice idea. If MS doesn't do this now, they might if sales are (s)low.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Ah, ok, iForgot.

Surface on bulk orders getting discount; I nice idea. If MS doesn't do this now, they might if sales are (s)low.

The $300 price was more rhetorical, perhaps $3XX is more what I meant
  • Reply 51 of 82
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The Surface Pro is x86_64. It runs Windows 8 Pro. I think it's doubtful it will succeed but for someone that needs a Win tablet to connect to AD then Surface RT won't cut it. You can run standard apps on it with a mouse and keyboard or use it as a tablet for basic computing. I don't think it's the best of both worlds but I can't speak for others and it does have clear benefit over the RT.

It's a different market. It's basically like comparing an iPad to a MacBook Air.

The Surface RT, like the iPad, is for content creation on the go where you can get by with a limited set of features and limited capability. The MacBook Air, like the Surface Pro, is a "complete" computer that runs standard Mac OS X (or Windows, in the case of the Surface Pro) apps and OS.

It think they're right that the markets are separate and there's a place for both products. Not everyone needs the Pro, but some people do. And some people could get by with either but will choose one or the other based on their own preferences. The real problem I see is the risk of confusion. Because of their similar names, I fully expect that some people will buy the RT expecting it to run their Windows apps and then get disappointed. Microsoft has this belief that their products are so great that they're universal and can be used everywhere. That has made Microsoft terrible when it comes to segmentation as they seem to arbitrarily move to extremes. For example, how many versions of WIndows 7 where there? Something like a dozen, IIRC. Why in the world do you need a dozen different versions? Then they go to the opposite extreme and dictate that Windows 8 must appear to be the same on everything from phones to mid-range servers.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I would rather have (and do) a big honking PC to run my Microsoft stuff. Apple rules my mobile world.
  • Reply 53 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft announced on Tuesday that it will expand its Surface tablet lineup next month with the new "Pro" model running Windows 8, as well as a new "RT" version with 64 gigabytes of storage.

Surface

Surface Windows 8 Pro will be available for purchase on Feb. 9 in the U.S and Canada starting at $899 for the 64-gigabyte version. The Surface Pro comes with a Surface Pen and is powered by an Intel Core i5 processor.

The 64-gigabyte standalone version of Surface Windows RT will run an ARM processor like the existing Windows RT tablets. The new high-capacity variant will cost $599, with the touch cover sold separately.

Microsoft will also launch new Surface accessories in markets where the tablet is still available. They are three limited edition Touch Covers, as well as the Wedge Touch Mouse Surface Edition.

The new Touch Covers will be available in red, magenta and cyan for $129.99, while the Wedge Touch Mouse will be $69.95.

Finally, Microsoft also revealed it will more than double the number of markets in which Surface Windows RT is currently available.

The 13 additional markets are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. They join markets where Surface RT is already available: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

A truck with such a limited payload capacity ?

• Reply 54 of 82
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    While the Surface itself does not excite me due to its hardware, I am excited about potential gaming platforms that could be used as "Steam Boxes", such as the one Razer has announced. Either play portably using the built-in display or plug it to a TV and plug in peripherals (i.e.: controllers). Such devices would merge the benefits of PC games as well as both living room and handheld consoles into a single device, which I find appealing.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    vaelian wrote: »
    While the Surface itself does not excite me due to its hardware, I am excited about potential gaming platforms that could be used as "Steam Boxes", such as the one Razer has announced. Either play portably using the built-in display or plug it to a TV and plug in peripherals (i.e.: controllers). Such devices would merge the benefits of PC games as well as both living room and handheld consoles into a single device, which I find appealing.

You mean like AirPlay on the iPad.
  • Reply 56 of 82

Oh, I should also note, I'll be buying a Surface Pro on the 9th. If there's anything at all you want to know about it once I get it, let me know.

• Reply 57 of 82
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

Although listed as 64 Gigs, the Surface RT actually only has 48 Gigs available. 16 Gigs are for the RT OS. They're being sued over this. See this C/Net article: http://goo.gl/hsx4r

Well that's a stupid lawsuit, I don't see the big deal here as the tablet includes a Micro SD slot. I own a Asus VivoTab 810C and all I did was map my download, music, video and documents directories to a Samsung 64GB 70MB-R/20MB-W card. Now although this card is not as fast as the 64GB SSD drive the system is installed on I have not seen any lag when watching videos or listening to music so it seems to be perfect for data. Plus at a price of only 55 CHF per stick I own one for work and one for work which is great for separating those two environments. Not to mention Skydrive is a fantastic cloud storage service and Asus gives away 100GB from there cloud storage for two years as well.

I don't understand the appeal of Windows 8 RT but Windows Pro on a tablet is defiantly cool, leaving Office aside being able to install other desktop apps has become pretty invaluable. Windows 8 is also a very peppy tablet OS, I would dare even to compare the speed to my iPad, well in Metro mode anyway. Entertainment purposes the iPad wins hands down but as a business tool a Windows 8 tablet defiantly has the upper hand. I was hesitant at first but after owning one now for about a month I see the appeal and have defiantly begun to appreciate it, would recommend the Asus 810C or Lenovo Thinkpad 2 tablets.

• Reply 58 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

the portability of a tablet that needs a keyboard, a mouse, and a stylus.

No it doesn't, that's just silly.

• Reply 59 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by runner7775 View Post

Oh, I should also note, I'll be buying a Surface Pro on the 9th. If there's anything at all you want to know about it once I get it, let me know.

Why, though I think the build quality is pretty good the battery life is just horrible. You will be lucky to get 4 hours, I would highly recommend you looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad 2. It's one of the best tablets I have ever used, although it only has an Atom CPU the system is fast, real fast. Not to mention that we're getting about 9 hours consistently with ours.

• Reply 60 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You mean like AirPlay on the iPad.

I think he's talking about Smartglass, a Windows 8 app that allows you to control your Xbox and additional features such as maps or weapon chooser for select games. My son uses it for a couple of his games.