Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 261
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I need a 128GB iPod or iPhone.

I've always said the two things keeping me from storing my music/podcasts on my phone is max storage, and eyes-free UI.  They're about 1/3 of the way from me dropping my iPod classic but still no dice.  I'd love to have that all-in-one experience, but the touch interface of the iPhone/pod touch just doesn't cut it.  So with that, I still say they need to update the iPod classic to SSD.  Now that they have 128gb chips in the iPad, I don't see why not.  I'll take a 32gb drop if i could have a thinner, lighter high capacity iPod Classic.  Plus it would justify the $249 price tag of the Classic.  The Nano's UI is just not eyes-free enough, and the home button is too far to the bottom of the device and awkward to reach for.

• Reply 22 of 261
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Good to see that Apple has finally seen fit to offer more capacity for those who simply must carry a bunch of HD movies, insane numbers of photos, more apps than they'll likely ever even use, or entire music collections with them almost everywhere.

Crazy that a 128gb Wifi+Cellular version will end up near US 1000.00 after sales tax, making a MacBook Air a seemingly much better/smarter purchase.
    adonissmu wrote: »
    I think the cost is reasonable. It's double the storage for only 100 bucks more. I'd say that's pretty good deal. 

Yet... Apple's still chagring an additional US 100.00 for + 16gb, +32gb and + 64gb - What?
  • Reply 23 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A lot of corporations, fortunately, disagree with you.

yeah, but there are corporate discounts, and tax-deductible business expenses.  So you are right, but they won't have to pay retail.  You and I will.

• Reply 24 of 261
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlm8283 View Post

128 GB is great, but the cost is gonna keep me away. I can afford it don't get me wrong, but why pay for something that in about 6 months it will be obsolete with the new new iPad.

Bet people still buy TV's yet, companies make a model, do a run of a certain amount, then move on to the next model.  There seems to be a better one weekly yet, still people buy them.  Are they dumb for doing so?   How about the better computer just a few days away??

• Reply 25 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Very, very smart.  There are many who will buy the most storage capacity available, even if they never use all of it.  Apple must have done their analysis to figure out the demand for this.

For the iPad, this would really help me when I travel for 5 weeks at a time.  I usually have mine maxed out with Movies, since Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime don't work in China on the iPad.  Although I just found a work-around Chrome Plug-in for my Mac.

• Reply 26 of 261
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

This is good for people who need it. I also think we will see a 128GB iPhone and iPod touch and when that happens.. bye bye iPod classic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickk28 View Post

Does anyone else find it really weird that no other site at all including apple's is even speaking of this? Legit much?

Here.

• Reply 27 of 261
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A lot of corporations, fortunately, disagree with you.

I can see larger capacity a bonus for field service engineers in order to have on hand advanced and interactive repair manuals that have step by step videos on tap.  For factory floor use, 16 gig is too much for data collection and/or QA work.  Executive/Manager toys...that is a different story. image

• Reply 28 of 261

Where is the announcement? Not on apple.com - Shop iPad as far as I can see.

Update: Found it http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/01/29Apple-Increases-iPad-with-Retina-Display-to-128GB.html

• Reply 29 of 261
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Where is the announcement? Not on apple.com - Shop iPad as far as I can see.

See the link in my previous post.

From this article:

"The 128-gigabyte version of the fourth-generation iPad are available starting Tuesday, Feb. 5 in black or white."

• Reply 30 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickk28 View Post

Does anyone else find it really weird that no other site at all including apple's is even speaking of this? Legit much?

Hell, it was being rumored yesterday that Apple was getting ready to launch the 128.

• Reply 31 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Crazy that a 128gb Wifi+Cellular version will end up near US 1000.00 after sales tax, making a MacBook Air a seemingly much better/smarter purchase.

It does kind of blur the line between the iPad and the MB Air, i agree.

$929 - 128gb iPad

$1,099 - 128gb MB Air

So for $170 more you could have the same SDD in a much more capable (and very close in size) Macbook, but a lot faster.

But, just like the iPod Mini and the iPad Mini, you pay a premium for portability.

• Reply 32 of 261
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Gross Margin increase !!

Maybe not as much as you think.

Keep in mind that they charge $100 to go from 16 to 32 GB. That would be a hefty margin increase. $100 to go from 64 to 128 GB would not be anywhere near as much of a margin increase.
    jlm8283 wrote: »
    128 GB is great, but the cost is gonna keep me away. I can afford it don't get me wrong, but why pay for something that in about 6 months it will be obsolete with the new new iPad.

Depends on how you define 'obsolete'. It will still be capable of doing everything it could do when you bought it.

More importantly, resale value on iPads is very high. It's not uncommon to see used iPads selling for 90% of the new price or even more. So you use it for a year and lose 10%. You drive a car for a month and lose 15%. So, by your logic, no one would ever buy a new car, right?
  • Reply 33 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Gross Margin increase !!

Haha, ain't that the truth!

• Reply 34 of 261
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    128 GB is great, but the cost is gonna keep me away. I can afford it don't get me wrong
    Why would we think you are wrong because of your income (or lack thereof)?
    but why pay for something that in about 6 months it will be obsolete with the new new iPad.
    Obsolete?
    It'll no longer work or be supported?
    (posted using my "obsolete" iPad 1)
  • Reply 35 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

$929 - 128gb iPad

$1,099 - 128gb MB Air

So for $170 more you could have the same SDD in a much more capable (and very close in size) Macbook, but a lot faster.

But, just like the iPod Mini and the iPad Mini, you pay a premium for portability.

Now that is utterly BS.

There's no faster computer (for basic things) than an iPad 4. There isn't a more capable computer for most people. If you want web browsing, mail, facebook, view pdf and presentations, study, play... there isn't a better computer on the market, no matter the price.

Look at that all day battery life, amazing screen and portability. It's just the best computer on the market for ALLMOST everyone. The other one is the rMBP.

• Reply 36 of 261

Buy something when you need it. Apple supports their devices better than any other company in the space. It has always been the case with technology that within a few months, something better will be out, but that does not take away from your device performing the tasks which you bought it for. If Apple didn't update the iPad with the A6X in Oct and waited until March, then all the holiday season buyers would have a lesser processor. I think it was a great and valuable move for Apple to update when they did.

Unlike Android, you also easily get new features for several years after purchase.
  • Reply 37 of 261
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    $929 - 128gb iPad
    $1,099 - 128gb MB Air

MBA - larger screen, faster CPU, more RAM, runs desktop apps
    iPad - Cell phone capability, portability

I really suspect that the decision is not as difficult as it seems for most people. I believe that most people who walk into an Apple Store (or Best Buy or whatever) intend to buy a tablet or a laptop and that very few actually switch from one to the other. Of course, many people will have both, but for any given purchase, I just don't see that many people who have trouble deciding.
  • Reply 38 of 261
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Too expensive! Wow. I have a 64GB iPad which is getting pretty full, but an extra $430 from the "base" price is just too much. Not quite sure why the base model is still 16GB (especially for the iPad), and I think it is good to up the maximum storage... just think the price needs to be a little more grounded for people to be able to justify upgrading later on.
  • Reply 39 of 261
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

go to the local community college, take that photoshop course you always dreamed about and voila! instant student discount!

• Reply 40 of 261
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Apple is flooding the market with products and therefore diluting the enthusiasm. No more secrecy = no more suspense = no more cult.