Bear spray-armed thieves rob Vancouver Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

They aren't that idiot if they managed to steal so many. Dishonest yes. And the device can't be tracked if it doesn't have a wireless connection. They can take all the time they want formatting it. They are going to sell them anyway so they don't care.

They didn't get that many. They were apparently only able to grab some of the demo units which means used items that have been scratched up etc by cx and likely have their serials recorded which adds an extra level of tracking should someone try to bring one in for repair etc.

And you assume they were smart enough to turn off/restore them right off. 

If they were really smart they would have cased and attacked the incoming shipment. Clean product, no iCloud etc on it yet, possibly no serials recorded yet to even track that way. Cameras are often exposed so you can baseball bat or spray paint them to cover up what's going on etc. Often the shipments are pallet wrapped so bring the right gear and you can be out of there quick with a lot of stuff

• Reply 22 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You're not allowed to carry a gun in Canada without a permit.

Getting a permit in Canada is akin to asking the Republican party to endorse gay marriage....

So Canadians need Obama and Democratic Party to endorse it during an election year? :smokey:
  • Reply 23 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Canadians need Obama and Democratic Party to endorse it during an election year? image

Something like that.

• Reply 24 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Make drugs legal.  

Most theft stops overnight when that happens. 

Right, because making them legal also makes them all free in any quantity. Anyone can afford any drug and never needs to commit any crime to get it.

Or were you joking?

• Reply 25 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

"Hey, hoser... we need more money for beer and hockey eh?", "Yeah. Well, uh... there's one of those Apple stores up north, eh." "You're a genius. Let's drinks some brews. I got bear spray, eh...".

http://www.lazydork.com/movies/strangebrew.jpg

American Apple store robbed. 40 people sprayed with bullets from fully automatic gunfire. Gun purchase traced to Walmart.

I'll take the bear spray anyday...eh

• Reply 26 of 77
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Apologies but I'm a city boy so I have no idea what the hell bear spray is. Can someone please enlighten me?

edit: So it's pepper spray to deter bears, and not really dangerous.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    charlituna wrote: »
    They didn't get that many. They were apparently only able to grab some of the demo units which means used items that have been scratched up etc by cx and likely have their serials recorded which adds an extra level of tracking should someone try to bring one in for repair etc.

And you assume they were smart enough to turn off/restore them right off. 

If they were really smart they would have cased and attacked the incoming shipment. Clean product, no iCloud etc on it yet, possibly no serials recorded yet to even track that way. Cameras are often exposed so you can baseball bat or spray paint them to cover up what's going on etc. Often the shipments are pallet wrapped so bring the right gear and you can be out of there quick with a lot of stuff
    Sounds like you've done your homework. I guess we know who to point the police to the next time there's a big hit on Apple Store. :)
  • Reply 28 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Watch out, we've got a badass over here.

Oakridge mall always seems to get robbed. There's a high-end jewelry store that's been hit twice before in the same mall and there have been a few other "incidents" there over the years. It's odd because it's not in a bad area of the city.

Answer:  That's where the money is.

Question:  Why do you rob banks?  (Jewelry/Apple stores  :^)

• Reply 29 of 77
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    As punishment, when caught, these thieves should have to listen to an Apple Genius for 30 days straight.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    gazoobee wrote: »
    A more realistic answer ... ?  

Make drugs legal.  
    Most theft stops overnight when that happens. 

How does that stop theft? People aren't robbing the drugs, they're robbing to pay for the drugs, legal or not.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    While I hate seeing security guards in retail (or even the use of security control devices), Apple has had enough robberies that I think they need to put security guards in each store. But not the useless $10-an-hour rent-a-cops, but maybe hire some (U.S.) veterans. That would be a win-win IMO.

• Reply 32 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, because making them legal also makes them all free in any quantity. Anyone can afford any drug and never needs to commit any crime to get it.

Or were you joking?

No, not joking.  

I did mean "legal & free" but only because in Canada, (or any place with proper healthcare), making them legal would be essentially the same as making them free in that any drug that you really need can be obtained on the national health. 

It's also a fact that almost all theft, (especially petty theft, B&E's etc.), is for the purposes of getting money for drugs.

Legal drugs == massive reduction in theft and burglary of all kinds. 

No one really holds up a gas station for food money.  No one really breaks into a house to steal a stereo so they can go home and play records.  

• Reply 33 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How does that stop theft? People aren't robbing the drugs, they're robbing to pay for the drugs, legal or not.

Sorry, forgot about the Americans.  

• Reply 34 of 77
    macrulez wrote: »

It would take something like PCP for a response like that.  Here's what it does to most people (and this guy had a light dose):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gw78gLU6fQ

One can actually get used to pepper spray, and it'll have little to no effect on them. I remember back when Mace used tear gas instead of pepper spray.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Sorry, forgot about the Americans.  

Are the drugs subsidized in your country? Not only legal but they're free too?
  • Reply 36 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Or were you joking?

Substance abuse of any sort (except perhaps that drug from Limitless) doesn't appear to be healthy for a person or their community but I agree that making all drugs legal wouldn't solve crime issues for those in need. They still need funds and the price isn't likely to drop to a point that's it's affordable to all, and it doesn't consider the abusers that are well past their limit that still need to rely on alternative means which may be even pricer now since the dealer's previous model has been severely reduced do to legalization. It would likely reduce crimes for illegal trafficking and keep a lot more people out of jail but that still not addressing robbery to support a habit.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They try to attack me with bear spray in a robbery attempt, they'll get a lead sandwich.  

In Canada you'll be the one ending up in prison.

That is if they don't use their guns on you.

• Reply 38 of 77
    Damn Yankees come up here to steal our iPhones.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    No, not joking.  

I did mean "legal & free" but only because in Canada, (or any place with proper healthcare), making them legal would be essentially the same as making them free in that any drug that you really need can be obtained on the national health. 

It's also a fact that almost all theft, (especially petty theft, B&E's etc.), is for the purposes of getting money for drugs.

Legal drugs == massive reduction in theft and burglary of all kinds. 

No one really holds up a gas station for food money.  No one really breaks into a house to steal a stereo so they can go home and play records.  

So I can get a prescription for Bolivian Marching Powder in Canada?
  • Reply 40 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So in Canada you could theoretically drum up a "need" for cocaine or heroin, and the government, using the tax dollars of other citizens, would have to provide you with cocaine or heroin for free?

Hmm… citation?

Now I know you're fibbing it a little.