Apple releases OS X 10.8.3 with Safari 6.0.3, new iTunes integration and bug fixes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    Back in October, I posted to MacInTouch the fact that messages such as these...

10/14/12 10:12:42.850 AM mdworker[751]: Unable to talk to lsboxd

10/14/12 10:12:42.956 AM sandboxd[753]: ([752]) mdworker(752) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd

10/14/12 10:12:43.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: sandboxd(753) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd

... were showing up on the Console app. I got the following reply (probably from a developer):

I submitted a bug report to Apple on it. Apple responded it was a known bug. Has been happening on 10.8.2. In short, mdworker scans and indexes files for Spotlight and sends a message to lsboxd, but the new security measure does not like a program going outside its sandbox and thus denies it. Several posts on Apple forums have covered this issue.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that after applying 10.8.3, the bug is still there. Sigh...
  • Reply 42 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

That's a 5 year old computer.  Get over it.  If you want to always be able to run the latest version of OS, expect that you have to update the hardware.  The solution to your problem is to sell your Mac Pro and get a Mac mini.  It'll have about the same horsepower and after you sell your machine, it's not going to cost you that much to get the upgrade.  Add in the electrical savings, and you're going to come out ahead.

Spoken by someone who never owned a Mac Pro. I feel the same way about my autos. Once you are spoiled by [insert luxury brand] you can never settle for less.

As mentioned earlier in the thread you can load up a Mac Pro with hard drives, memory, cards and drive a 30" cinema. The mini is an entry level machine.

• Reply 43 of 98
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Apple have just admitted iCloud is problematic since update, Jesus H Effing Christ, I swear they do not test anything anymore before releasing

Got any proof of that? Links? Because everybody else says the iCloud outage began just minutes before the release of the OS X 10.8.3 update, merely a coincidence.

• Reply 44 of 98
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Sucks.  My $4,200.00 MacPro will not run 10.8.  I was able to modify the os to run but not stable enough for every day use.  Yet the box it came in says Xeon 64 bit workstation and yet the 10.8 os requires a true 64 bit rom.  Contrary in terms.  64 bit workstation and a 32 bit rom on a $4,200.00 computer.

Want me to make you more angry lol.  As I own one of those Mac Pro 1,1 machines too.    It is perfectly capable of running 64bit firmware.  The chips that store the firmware are compatible. Apple just wont write one.  The Xeons are capable as they are full 64 bit too.  I have flashed mine to a Mac Pro 2,1 and installed dual quad core 3.0 Ghz Clovertowns and it was worth it for video crunching.  I have a new quad core i7 iMac and it wont crunch video as fast as my mac pro but it comes really close. It is faster in all daily tasks but with 8 cores my Mac Pro still shines.  I will keep this machine around for a long time, it is still my main machine but I will be upgrading to the new mac pro coming out this year.

• Reply 45 of 98
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

It looks like it was the Retina Macbook update that was holding up 10.8.3. There must have had to be a lot of work to bring the retinas up to requirements.

• Reply 46 of 98
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

****!

iCloud is really fucked up now, cannot reset password.

Don't Apple test anymore before releasing updates, their cock ups are on a Microsoft scale!!!

As a matter of fact they did test this release. It was in beta since November of last year! Its the longest time span between updates since OS X has been around. I think 13 betas were released to beta testers. I think this is of more an iCloud issue than a 10.8.3 issue. 

• Reply 47 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Want me to make you more angry lol.  As I own one of those Mac Pro 1,1 machines too.    It is perfectly capable of running 64bit firmware.  The chips that store the firmware are compatible. Apple just wont write one.  The Xeons are capable as they are full 64 bit too.  I have flashed mine to a Mac Pro 2,1 and installed dual quad core 3.0 Ghz Clovertowns and it was worth it for video crunching.  I have a new quad core i7 iMac and it wont crunch video as fast as my mac pro but it comes really close. It is faster in all daily tasks but with 8 cores my Mac Pro still shines.  I will keep this machine around for a long time, it is still my main machine but I will be upgrading to the new mac pro coming out this year.

Is there a step by step guide for that somewhere? Sounds really interesting.

• Reply 48 of 98

Quote:

That's a 5 year old computer.  Get over it.  If you want to always be able to run the latest version of OS, expect that you have to update the hardware.  The solution to your problem is to sell your Mac Pro and get a Mac mini.  It'll have about the same horsepower and after you sell your machine, it's not going to cost you that much to get the upgrade.  Add in the electrical savings, and you're going to come out ahead.

Lol a mini?  The new mini wont hold a candle to what I can do with my 1, 1 Mac Pro.  I have two of the new minis and they wont crunch video near as fast as my upgraded 8 core mac pro 1, 1.

How about drive bays the mini has one lol my Mac Pro has 4, Pci slots  The mini has none my pro 4. Although thunderbolt can make up for some of the loss of the pci slots but dedicated graphics cards in a thunderbolt box are still dodgy at best.  I still use thunderbolt on one of them.

But dont suggest to people here that a mini will replace a Mac Pro of any year.

• Reply 49 of 98

Quote:

Sucks.  My $4,200.00 MacPro will not run 10.8.  I was able to modify the os to run but not stable enough for every day use.  Yet the box it came in says Xeon 64 bit workstation and yet the 10.8 os requires a true 64 bit rom.  Contrary in terms.  64 bit workstation and a 32 bit rom on a $4,200.00 computer.

I have approx a $8,000-9,000 last gen Xserve Xeon Dual Quad-Core with 32GB of RAM, 3 TB of storage (3x1TB), and 128 GB Flash storage sitting behind me that doesn't support 10.8 Server. It happens dude....get over yourself already. 

• Reply 50 of 98
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

how about some helpful information like does mac work faster and better after update and is icloud still a problem.  thx

• Reply 51 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdog View Post

how about some helpful information like does mac work faster and better after update and is icloud still a problem.  thx

Why does the Mac need to run faster? Its pretty damn fast as it is, even on a older Mac. You could just install it for yourself and find out. Each person has a different setup from everyone else so people experience different things for different reasons.

According to the iCloud status page, Apple acknowledged the issue with logging in and it has been fixed since 6:02pm EST. 

On a different note: Jesus folks...its not like Apple releases a completely and total POS every time there's software released from them. Its impossible to make a perfect system...impossible!

• Reply 52 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is there a step by step guide for that somewhere? Sounds really interesting.

Accelerate Your mac can help you with all that.  http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

But if you have the skills to change out some socket LGA 771 xeons

Here is what you need to do:

1 Download the MacPro firmware tool  from:  http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html

2 Flash your Mac Pro 1, 1 to a 2, 1.  The machines are identical as far as hardware.   The flash  upgrades your Mac Pro firmware to a 2008 Firmware and makes it compatible with Lion and Snow Leopard.  Its super easy and wont hurt your machine at all and it will still run with the 2,1 Firmware on your stock processors  and you can flash it back to a 1, 1 if you want just as easy. Note: when you flash the firmware you will need to restart your machine 2 times to get the second Xeon to show up but it will and does every time.  So dont freak if you dont see the second processor on the first reboot.

It is also a good idea to reset pram  command+option+p+r keys on reboot after the firmware flash.

3 Go to: http://serversupply.com  

The cheapest place on the web to purchase X 5365 3.0 Ghz Clovertown xeons.  Currently ranging from $148.00 to 210.00 per X 5365 Xeon New.  Buy two.  They will send you a matched set if you buy two.  There are only 3 versions of the X 5365's.  My sSPEC on my two are SLAED.  It is very important there the same sSPEC.  It is printed right on the top of the Xeon Chip itself.

4. Go Here for tutorial on disassembly of your Mac Pro and installation of your new xeons:  http://www.anandtech.com/show/2079/3

5. Install  Your new processors and reassemble your machine.

6. Enjoy 4 more cores!  For a total of 8 cores.  My machine stock was a dual 3.0 Ghz dual core. With woodcrest  xeons.

Heres some picts of my system info.  

Oh one more thing I almost forgot you will need a really long 9" 3mm hex key wrench which you can buy on amazon for about 4 bucks, to remove the Xeon heat syncs.

Also use Artic Silver Heat sync paste also available at amazon for your heat syncs... After a thorough cleaning of the old paste off your heat  syncs for your new Xeons.

• Reply 53 of 98

Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly. I am just as upset that my $10,000 Mac IIfx won't run 10.8.

• Reply 54 of 98
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

LOL. A Mini? Seriously? People like the Mac Pros because of the huge amount of flexibility in terms of customizing the machine. You have easy access to all the internals. You have four bays where you can put hard drives, burners, etc. Further, they still look cool both inside and out. I wouldn't want to let that go either for a Mini. Sure, the Mini is faster, but you give up all the other things that attract some to the Mac Pro. Hope the rumor is true that Apple will be significantly updating the Pro line. 

• Reply 55 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    @ Mechanic,

You installed new processors but you are still at only 6GB RAM?
  • Reply 56 of 98
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

my update went fine.  no issues.  icloud normal with no issues.

• Reply 57 of 98
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdog View Post

Helpful AND accurate feedback will probably become available once everybody's had the chance to use their systems for a few days.

Anybody posting feedback immediately after finishing the install is not really helping you out...

• Reply 58 of 98
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

hmm

• Reply 59 of 98
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Probably has what I have, which is a MacPro 1,1, which until Mountain Lion came out, was touted in every piece of literature Apple could produce as being 64-bit. All of a sudden we're told that it's not really truly 64-bit as it still has some 32-bit code in the ROM, so go ahead and die even though it's a more than capable computer (but not capable enough to run ML, even if you upgrade the video card). 

I hacked it to run ML, but it's a big PITA and more of a proof-of-concept-to-my-own-ego; proved to be too unstable to be of daily use. 

The Mac Pro 1,1 came out in 2006. So no, Apple didn't tell you to "go ahead and die". They just decided not to support a 6 year old computer with their latest OS. Deal with it. You buy something for the software features it has NOW, not what it might have 5 years from now. Apple doesn't owe you anything. 

• Reply 60 of 98
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,422member

I haven't done any concrete testing yet, but on my first battery outing on 10.8.3 and I'm seeing numbers back to Snow Leopard levels. Been on battery for an hour and a half and it still says I have another 4+ remaining. Probably won't actually be that much, but prior to this update, lately I've been taking my Mac out on battery and immediately seeing ~3 hrs and dropping rapidly, sometimes not even getting that much out of it. Was waiting to get a new SSD and do a completely fresh install of everything and see if that fixed it since dealing with this after Lion and Mountain Lion, but I'll take this for now. :)

FWIW:

2011 MBP quad 2.3 i7, 16gb/7200 750gb HD