Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Comments

• Reply 181 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm disappointed in Samsung's choice of building materials but besides that I don't see why it's getting such bad publicity. It's the first 8 core mobile, 1080p rez 440PPI, 2GB RAM, etc. if the S4 is priced competitive then Samsung will defiantly have another successful model on their hands.

Mmm...  @Relic  I hadn't noticed any recent posts from you...   How is the battle going?  Hope everything worked out all right!

Best

• Reply 182 of 230
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Maybe, but replacing it means that I will be phoneless for a while, so not great :(

Apple don't "repair" their phones, they replace them.

You are "phoneless" for as long as it takes for a genius to go get a replacement.

I suppose you live somewhere where there is no Apple store available anywhere within thousands of miles.

• Reply 183 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

...desperate for Apple to release a larger iPhone. I was in Europe and Asia recently and you see the Note II literally everywhere.

So why is the S4 smaller than the Note 2?

• Reply 184 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's pretentious of you to say "walk into an Apple store" when a great many people do not live near one.

If you come to Sydney, Australia there's a Samsung store, I think there's another one in Canada.

How many Apple stores would you pass getting there?

• Reply 185 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You wouldn't say that if you were a parent with 3 kids in the backseat on a long drive through boring countryside...  I'm so bored... Are we there yet?

For that you have iPad.

• Reply 186 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm disappointed in Samsung's choice of building materials but besides that I don't see why it's getting such bad publicity. It's the first 8 core mobile, 1080p rez 440PPI, 2GB RAM, etc. if the S4 is priced competitive then Samsung will defiantly have another successful model on their hands.

If you want LTE you won't have Octo.

• Reply 187 of 230
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, that's why watching videos on phones, or even tablets, of any size, is stupid. 

Thank you for your definitive statement. I understand that you spend your life on the couch in front of the projection TV, which explains the intellectual level of your postings.

• Reply 188 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    If you want LTE you won't have Octo.

That I hadn't heard. I did read that the North American model won't be getting the "Octo" version, but instead the quad-core Snapdragon 600.

I don't think it's well know that you'll never use more than 4 cores on that "Octo"-core Galaxy S IV. It's a great HW-based idea for poor performing OSes so they can use less power from time to time but it's not exactly an ideal solution in the S IV to switch between a 1.6GHz quad-core Cortex-A15 and a 1.2GHz quad-core Cortex-A7 over having a more idealized ASIC and OS.
  • Reply 189 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apple don't "repair" their phones, they replace them.

You are "phoneless" for as long as it takes for a genius to go get a replacement.

I suppose you live somewhere where there is no Apple store available anywhere within thousands of miles.

I have already said in a previous posting where I live (in the hick town of Princeton, NJ). As for iCloud, that is only partially true -- photo backup has been quite flaky in my experience.

• Reply 190 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post

Many people want a bigger much bigger screen but an iPad mini is still too big. People, especially women, girls, who were avid Blackberry users have experienced euphoria with their Samsung Note or Galaxy 3. I think for THAT reason people will be making switch. And if Apple introduces a LARGER iPhone 5S or 6 this year, I for one will be pissed. I have the iPhone 5 and I had to succumb to the small screen of the 5 bcuz I could no longer tolerate the crappy OS of Android in my Galaxy 1.

When I had a blackberry it was vibrating quite powerfully in my pocket continuously, so I can see how women or girls would experience euphoria.

• Reply 191 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Maybe it's a matter of rising to their own level of accomplishment. It is truly amazing what they've been able to do with TVs, cars, cameras and phones in two or three decades. So now they may have come into a period of irrational exuberance, with no doctrine of restraint or simplicity to hold their designers in check.

America went through this in the 1950s with tailfins and chrome. They lost the TV industry to Sony because the Americans thought they were making elaborate living room furniture while the Japanese approach was making better screens.

Jobs, Ive and company have a huge advantage with their doctrine of simplicity, but the droidheads and the tech press have yet to recognize it. Instead they've convinced themselves that predictability and simplicity are "stale" and "boring."

Samsung is trying to bring the nightmare that was the 50s in America back. It makes me sad. I lived through that. As M3dik mentions, the appearance of the VW Bug was a huge relief at the time. They took over 10% of the market as I recall, because Detroit was doing a Samsung/Hyundai at the time. But if it was only that, 10% wasn't enough.

This is the main reason I can't stand to see Samsung poisoning the mobile phone market, and the tech press and the "analysts" sucking it up. Not to mention some notable posters here . . .

Those cars with tailfins replaced the model-T, which, while simple and elegant, was a much worse car, so simple doesn't necessarily mean good.

• Reply 192 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah but, the guy complaining lives 20 miles from a couple Apple Stores, Bridgewater and Edison.

Did you read what I said: "two hours of my day"? Princeton->Edison = 40 minutes. Princeton->Bridgewater = longer still.

• Reply 193 of 230
    tomdritomdri Posts: 18member

It looks like a HUGE iPhone 3GS!

• Reply 194 of 230
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Let's also remember that at a 332 true PPI this is the first Galaxy S series phone that qualifies as being Retina-quality and it's not due out until the end of April 2013.

So this is a lie then. 

"The Retina display on iPhone ushered in the era of super-high-resolution displays. Its pixel density is so high, your eye can’t distinguish individual pixels. The images and words are amazingly vivid and crisp. Everything just looks so real. In fact, once you see a Retina display, you’re never satisfied with anything less. Yet it remains a feature found only on iPhone and other Apple products."

http://www.apple.com/iphone/why-iphone/

It's amazing to see how they are fooling the people.

• Reply 195 of 230
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

sosumi.aiff

• Reply 196 of 230

Why would I sue Apple? It's just that this new 'Why iPhone' page really sounds desperate to me. 

• Reply 197 of 230

Why would I sue Apple?

For the false advertising you claim.

It's just that this new 'Why iPhone' page really sounds desperate to me. 

Uh… huh… 

• Reply 198 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hari5 wrote: »

????? What part of that marketing paragraph is fooling you? Are you going to claim that Apple's Retina trademark can be found on non-Apple products? Are you going to argue that we're only in an era of high-resolution displays, not super-high resolution? Are you going to defend the small percentage of people that can discern individual pixels with the naked eye of claim you can when you put the RMBP (the lowest PPI Retina product Apple sells) just a couple inches from your face? Will you contend that it doesn't look real, that it only looks better than their old displays? Or are you going to sue because you can be satisfied with something less?

I personally would have been more vigilant in detailing the definition of Retina and communicating in a more direct way, but I don't see anything that screams they breaking the law or purposely being deceptive.
  • Reply 199 of 230

It's really simple. Back in 2010, Apple had explained that iPhone 4 display whose PPI is more than 300 hence it's retina display.

Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that. And in the ad, they claim that only iPhone comes with retina display. Whether it's their trademark or not, the technology which identifies any particular display as Retina is coming with several other handsets. 

BTW Apple also claims iOS as world's most advanced operating system. That's hilarious. Especially when Tweeter & Facebook integration were their one of the major features of iOS 5 & 6 respectively. 

• Reply 200 of 230

Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that.

There's a whole bit about sub-pixel rendering that you're missing here.

BTW Apple also claims iOS as world's most advanced operating system. That's hilarious. Especially when Tweeter & Facebook integration were their one of the major features of iOS 5 & 6 respectively. 

So… your subjective nonsense should be taken as fact, but Apple's subjective nonsense is obvious lies. That it?