Whatcha Listening To... Returns

Comments

• Reply 381 of 418
    This just recommended by Robin Pecknold...

These Trails - These Trails (1973)

This is some trippy shit! :o
  • Reply 382 of 418
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    "The Lover", by Medeski, Martin & Wood from their album Friday Afternoon in the Universe
  • Reply 383 of 418
    More recommendations from Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes:

Sagittarius - Present Tense 1967 awesomeness!

Dungen AWESOME!!!! Swedish psychedelic prog euphoria!
  • Reply 384 of 418
    Also listening to the new Underworld! Brilliant!
  • Reply 385 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What's in your ears or on your speakers these days?

I'm still stuck on mt old stalwarts Muse (Black Holes and Revelations) and Placebo (Meds), but there are a few more things on rotation on the stereo and iPod...

New releases by The Killers (Sam's Town) and Kasabian (Empire) haven't grown on me yet.

But I've immediately taken a liking to The Whitest Boy Alive (Dreams -ITS Link). This is the new trio formed by a King of Convenience, and it's the familiar vocal over catchy acoustic guitar and bass... just like KOC. But there's a little more emphasis on minimalist long Belle and Sebastianesque instrumental passages than KOC which is a bit more about the vocals vs the two guitars. Anyway it's great stuff!

Did you ever try hearing good jazz, or classical music. Maybe you are to young for this music?
  • Reply 386 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Did you ever try hearing good jazz, or classical music. Maybe you are to young for this music?

I like baroque, impressionist and modern classical, but I loathe the "classic" period (Mozart, Vivaldi) for its abundant over-application of common cadence. I like to be surprised. Play Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, Stravinsky, Philip Glass or Steve Reich (I've seen both of the last two perform in person live) and I'm happy, but play Eine Kleine Nachtmusik or Pachebel's Canon and I want to vomit.

I love jazz of all stripes, especially guitar, piano or flute trios, or anything trumpet heavy (I love Miles Davis). I'm not a fan of the sound of the saxophone or clarinet. Again... I'm talking about jazz. Not that utter crap recorded by an alto/soprano sax hack with a single initial for his last name. Talk about vomit!

I'm old enough that the first single I ever bought was "Rapture" by Blondie. First album I ever bought was "Combat Rock" by the Clash. First band I was a die-hard fan of was Devo. As an Eighties teenager I've got every release from every major New Wave Band. But then I've also got every Led Zepp, every Hendrix, every Yes, every King Crimson, every Marillion (even post-Fish), Every Phish... and many more.

But of all the genres I like (pretty much everything except pop country, hip-hop and R&B -- though I love folk-rock, disco and funk and I like classic soul) I'm most impressed by Prog (was a HUGE Yes fan when I was 19) and what iTunes calls "Chamber Pop". I had never heard the term "Chamber Pop" before, but of all the Genius mixes in iTunes, Not only is this the only one that is really good, this is the only one that is remotely tolerable. I just discovered it yesterday, as I had pretty much given up on the Genius feature until I tried it again after upgrading to iTunes 10.1.

But I'm losing my edge. I'm losing my Edge to the kids from France and from London. But I was there.

OK... anyone who hasn't heard LCD Soundsystem... you suck.
  • Reply 387 of 418
    From what I read from all you guys do you ever really listen to music not noise or crap being played? I presume the age level has a lot to do with it.
  • Reply 388 of 418
    Quote:

I like baroque, impressionist and modern classical, but I loathe the "classic" period (Mozart, Vivaldi) for its abundant over-application of common cadence. I like to be surprised. Play Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, Stravinsky, Philip Glass or Steve Reich (I've seen both of the last two perform in person live) and I'm happy, but play Eine Kleine Nachtmusik or Pachebel's Canon and I want to vomit.

I love jazz of all stripes, especially guitar, piano or flute trios, or anything trumpet heavy (I love Miles Davis). I'm not a fan of the sound of the saxophone or clarinet. Again... I'm talking about jazz. Not that utter crap recorded by an alto/soprano sax hack with a single initial for his last name. Talk about vomit!

I'm old enough that the first single I ever bought was "Rapture" by Blondie. First album I ever bought was "Combat Rock" by the Clash. First band I was a die-hard fan of was Devo. As an Eighties teenager I've got every release from every major New Wave Band. But then I've also got every Led Zepp, every Hendrix, every Yes, every King Crimson, every Marillion (even post-Fish), Every Phish... and many more.

But of all the genres I like (pretty much everything except pop country, hip-hop and R&B -- though I love folk-rock, disco and funk and I like classic soul) I'm most impressed by Prog (was a HUGE Yes fan when I was 19) and what iTunes calls "Chamber Pop". I had never heard the term "Chamber Pop" before, but of all the Genius mixes in iTunes, Not only is this the only one that is really good, this is the only one that is remotely tolerable. I just discovered it yesterday, as I had pretty much given up on the Genius feature until I tried it again after upgrading to iTunes 10.1.

But I'm losing my edge. I'm losing my Edge to the kids from France and from London. But I was there.

OK... anyone who hasn't heard LCD Soundsystem... you suck.

You say you are not of fan of the saxophone listen to john coltraine, coleman hawkins, zoot sims,and stan getz and than tell me what you think? these were the giants of jazz.Mozart was a great composer but Vivaldi to me is just boring sometimes like everything sound like the 4 seasons.
  • Reply 389 of 418
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

You say you are not of fan of the saxophone listen to john coltraine, coleman hawkins, zoot sims,and stan getz and than tell me what you think? these were the giants of jazz.Mozart was a great composer but Vivaldi to me is just boring sometimes like everything sound like the 4 seasons.

I've got some Coltrane and I love Stan Getz, more for the songwriting than the sound of the instrument.
  • Reply 390 of 418
    BTW if anyone wants to follow me on Ping, send me a PM.

Edit: Ok, since I don't link a credit card to my iTunes account, I can change my Ping name to a nickname. As a jab at Jobs, my Ping name is now "Thor tonton".

I'd love to follow fellow AIers on Ping if you've got a Ping account.
  • Reply 391 of 418
    Quote:

I've got some Coltrane and I love Stan Getz, more for the songwriting than the sound of the instrument.

Good for you the composers behind this music were great. Listen to Getz doing bacharach. fantastic playing.
  • Reply 392 of 418
    Damn! The Devo page has some fantastic recommends.
  • Reply 393 of 418

Digging up this old thread for good reason.

Anyone who likes Jeff Buckley/Damien Rice and a little bit of David Gray (or folk rock in general) absolutely MUST give The Bollands a listen. Seriously. Just released, and it's insanely good!

• Reply 394 of 418
    nancy znancy z Posts: 4member

Coldplay and 

John Mayer

• Reply 395 of 418

Only Love by Trademark

• Reply 396 of 418

New band from London called Spiritwo. https://soundcloud.com/spiritwo